PDA

View Full Version : MusicIP installed and now? Newbie question

ad6922
2011-08-23, 14:13
I try to get MusicIP working, It seems I have performed a number of steps but it's not clear to make how to create a mix based on a number that is playing.

My setup:
SBS 7.6.1 with Release 4.12 Tweaked for SBS 7.6.1. (based on the qpkg from sl1000)
running on a QNAP TS-459
2 SB-radio's, 1 SB Duet and 1 SB Squeezeplay

Scanned my music with MusicIP and the analysis data is now in the tags from the songs
Then installed MusicIP from SSOTS.
Ran over to the headless part http://myserver/server.
Add music to the cache
Didn't perform the validation (no idea what it does, is thisneeded?)
ran test mix creation and it showed a mix. So it seems that it works
Then I performed a complete rescan of the music in Squeezebox.

And then I would expect the possibility that when I would play a song that was scanned via MusicIP that I would see an option to create a mix based on the MIP settings in either my radio on the controller or squeezeplay. But I don't see anything like that.

Can Anybody tell me, what I need to do from here?

aubuti
2011-08-23, 14:23
And then I would expect the possibility that when I would play a song that was scanned via MusicIP that I would see an option to create a mix based on the MIP settings in either my radio on the controller or squeezeplay. But I don't see anything like that.

Can Anybody tell me, what I need to do from here?
Let's start with the basics. On the Radio's front panel controls, did you press the "+" button to bring up the context menu for the track you want to "seed" the playlist? To get the context menu on Squeezeplay I believe you would do a "press and hold" using the mouse, holding the mouse button for 2-4 seconds before releasing.

sebp
2011-08-23, 14:28
Check that you've enabled the MusicIP plugin in SBS.
If not already done, restart SBS and do a wipe scan again (MusicIP must be running before SBS starts, and only a wipe scan will set the mixable flag). If done well, the scanner status in the Information page should show it imported status from MusicIP for the discovered files.

ad6922
2011-08-23, 14:51
Aubuti,

good to start from the beginning: yes, i did the options that you mentioned.

sebp,

never thought of that one (although I am used to the plugins), try that right away.

Let see if that gives the right result.

mr_hyde
2011-08-23, 14:54
If you have not validated the files, then you most probably won't be able to create any musicip mix.

The scan in the headless interface only creates some sort of list which files are available on your server. MusicIP needs to analyze/validate the files. Only this step generates the information that is needed to create a mix.

It might be better, if you install MIP also on your PC.
-> run the scan from the PC and archive the musicip information in the files.
-> this allows for an extremely fast scan in the headless interface on your NAS since no additional validation is needed.

However, I have added a readme to the misucip part in SSOTS which describes the steps.

ad6922
2011-08-23, 15:05
Thx Mr-Hyde.

I already thought that the validation wasn't needed anymore after analyzing it by MIP.
That saves a lot of time

sebp
2011-08-23, 15:11
It might be better, if you install MIP also on your PC.
-> run the scan from the PC and archive the musicip information in the files.
-> this allows for an extremely fast scan in the headless interface on your NAS since no additional validation is needed.
It looks to me that this is exactly what he's done:

Scanned my music with MusicIP and the analysis data is now in the tags from the songs
Then installed MusicIP from SSOTS.

Not sure the validation in the headless server is mandatory.
If the MiP tags are already embedded in the files, it shouldn't either last long, nor hurt.

But if he hadn't enabled the MiP plugin in SBS, no chance it would work. ;-)

mr_hyde
2011-08-23, 15:17
It looks to me that this is exactly what he's done:

must have not seen this part :-)

Not sure the validation in the headless server is mandatory.
If the MiP tags are already embedded in the files, it shouldn't either last long, nor hurt.

But if he hadn't enabled the MiP plugin in SBS, no chance it would work. ;-)

sometimes I have problems, that MIP on the PC is not correclty archiving the tags. If the headless interface has 0 files to validate after the scan and everything is mixable, then the MIP part should be ok.

And for sure, MIP or sugarcube has to be installed/activated. Otherwise it won't work.

sebp
2011-08-23, 15:24
sometimes I have problems, that MIP on the PC is not correclty archiving the tags. If the headless interface has 0 files to validate after the scan and everything is mixable, then the MIP part should be ok.
Yes, I'm seeing this from time to time too.
A not-so-quick workaround I've found lately is to remove all files from the MiP frontend at the computer, and to add the whole music directory again.
The analysis will recover the missed files (but it will mess New music, grrr).

ad6922
2011-08-23, 15:27
The settings in the screen are:
Total songs 3,885
Mixable songs 3,320
Songs to validate 3,863

23 songs have been validated until I read MR-Hyde Remark and I stopped.
Perform now a rescan of my music (which is far more then the music that's seen by MIP)
Installed the plugin for MIP.

Get some sleep, and see waht it brings when i wake up.

Keep you posted, thx so far.

mr_hyde
2011-08-23, 15:48
The settings in the screen are:
Total songs 3,885
Mixable songs 3,320
Songs to validate 3,863

23 songs have been validated until I read MR-Hyde Remark and I stopped.
Perform now a rescan of my music (which is far more then the music that's seen by MIP)
Installed the plugin for MIP.

Get some sleep, and see waht it brings when i wake up.

Keep you posted, thx so far.

ok,
as i mentioned before, I have sometimes problems with the archive function in MIP. You should make sure, that MIP on the PC is showing a PUID for the files in the interface. I have only 2 or 3 files in my collection where MIP is not able to create/get an PUID.

The strange thing is that it sometimes can not create a PUID when it scans files that are on the NAS. I had to copy files back to the local drive, created the PUIDs and archived them. Afterwards i copied the files back to the NAS and everything was fine. So far I was not able to identify the root cause. The owner and the file properties were the same compared to other files were I had no issues.

ad6922
2011-08-24, 00:13
Scan is performed. It shows that MusicIP is used in the scan on the information tab of the SBS.
So that's good. The numbers that are scanned do have now an option when selecting with the controller to create an MusicIP Mix. But when doing that, it doesn't work.

After checking the mp3-tags the fingerprints are empty.
So, it could be that I have the problem as described by Mr Hyde. So now I first will copy the music form the NAS to the local computer and see if the analysis will then deliver the fingerprints in the mp3.

Keep you posted.

ad6922
2011-08-24, 00:33
Next steps:

Copied music to IMac. Start analysis, but afte checking still no fingerprints.

Following option:
Installing MusicIP on Windows machine. Start analysis directly from the windows machine on the QNAP server. And now fingerprints are created. So it seems that Mac (running on Snow Leopard) has some issues with MusicIP Analysis.

ad6922
2011-08-24, 00:43
Started the analysis on the NAS, so that will take quite a while.

In the meantime, I have filled the cache of the musicmagic server now with songs without a fingerprint.

Can I simply use the add songs button in headless MIP and refer to the smae directory but now with fingerprints on the music and will musicIP then update it's database. Or will that not work as it already has the data in its database.

If not possible, how do I throw away the current cache of MusicIP?

ad6922
2011-08-25, 00:05
For anyone with the same problem to empty the cache, an easy way is to uninstall MusicIP via SSOTS and install it again.

MIP is back in seconds with an empty cache.