PDA

View Full Version : What External Harddrive(s) used 4 CD storage

myvinyl333
2011-08-20, 03:53
What size, brand of external hardrive(s) are used to store/playback ripped CD's do you use?

Mnyb
2011-08-20, 04:31
For what purpose . Conecting directly to Touch or for general storage and backup .
I use a Verbatim drive at 1 or 2 TB ,mainly because there is not much "crap" on them and are easy to reformat so that they can be used .
These have thier own PS and uses normal 3,5" drives inside

Imho many name brands comes loaded with CD player emulaters and other bizzare software that gets auto installed etc , a total nuisance the main purpose is to place a brand logo at your desktop and tray not to make you hapy .

So a great idea is to buy enclosures at the PC shop, an empty box with USB and power supply and just fit the Quality 3,5" HD of your own choice inside, no problem just format to whatever your OS fancy :)

I don't know who doing the best HD at the moment WD or Samsung or someone else ? I Use WD green drives in my server but I choose to use the sligthly more expensive enterprise variants, they have higher quality lasting longer but cost some more.

Mnyb
2011-08-20, 04:32
Imho a server works best with the drives directly inside it.

sebp
2011-08-20, 04:33
Imho a server works best with the drives directly inside it.
An external drive connected to an eSata port may be as good, no?

myvinyl333
2011-08-20, 04:39
For what purpose . Conecting directly to Touch or for general storage and backup .
I use a Verbatim drive at 1 or 2 TB ,mainly because there is not much "crap" on them and are easy to reformat so that they can be used .

Imho many name brands comes loaded with CD player emulaters and other bizzare software that gets auto installed etc , a total nuisance the main purpose is to place a brand logo at your desktop and tray not to make you hapy .

So a great idea is to buy enclosures at the PC shop, an empty box with USB and power supply and just fit the Quality 3,5" HD of your own choice inside, no problem just format to whatever your OS fancy :)

I don't know who doing the best HD at the moment WD or Samsung or someone else ? I Use WD green drives in my server but I choose to use the sligthly more expensive enterprise variants, they have higher quality lasting longer but cost some more.

I was going to connect the HD to the PC and stream to SBT. Heard the USB port on SBT was not a good Option?

Mnyb
2011-08-20, 04:41
An external drive connected to an eSata port may be as good, no?

eSata yes it is the same performance but more clutter .
So yes esata forgot that, but it's not such a common interface compared to plain USB .

OK

So if you use eSata you can have the same performance but with added clutter .

Can eSata be mounted as easy as an USB drive if you for whatever reason want to remove it ? no risk of data coruption.

slate
2011-08-20, 04:43
For my work office setup, which is software only (SBS+SqueezeSlave), I use a 250 GB WD Passport (USB2).
Used that setup for the last 2 years; but today I have bought a 1 GB Passport (USB3) as space was running low.

I choose the Passport as it fit 2 parameters:
1. small 2"
2. as it does not need an external powersupply.

Years ago I bought a cabinet with external PSU for 3,5" IDE harddrives. Granted 2 years ago it would have been cheaper to buy a big IDE drive and use that; but it is noisy and have a lumb of a PSU.

slate
2011-08-20, 04:46
Can eSata be mounted as easy as an USB drive if you for whatever reason want to remove it ? no risk of data coruption.

I have a eSata cable that I can use with SSD and laptop drives (powered by cable). It works exactly USB. Connect, use and dismount before you disconnect.

Mnyb
2011-08-20, 05:05
OK I here i disagree sligthly :) I'm a bit ludite here i like 3,5" enclosures with a lump of PSU just don't trust any laptop derived tech.

And to op. Yes running your own server is superior to use tan USB drive directly to the Touch .

SBS will probably perform much better regardless of drive, at least compared to use directly to the Touch it's not that critical anymore.

There are other criteria here .

Quality ? don't have extensive insights the computer pros's on this forum have much more knowledge than me .

And aesthetics nice looking and no external psu is important for some people.

But the general consensus is to use a good backup strategy so you are looking for >2 drives one to use and >=one for backup(s) .

This is a fact eventually all hard-drives fail or something else fails and corrupt the data, given enough time this will happen.

If you spent 100's of hours tagging and ripping you don't want that.

slate
2011-08-20, 05:53
OK I here i disagree sligthly :) I'm a bit ludite here i like 3,5" enclosures with a lump of PSU just don't trust any laptop derived tech.

Well you work with hardware so you prefer it big, solid and lumpy right
;-)

Working with software development in an open office enviroment silence is a virtue. Especially today where it is all laptops; back in the stationary days all the fans and harddrives would drown a 3" drive in a USB cabinet.

Actually I have 3 copies of my library:
1. My stationary that I use for ripping
2. My music server
3. My USB drive at work

So I am fireprove as well

myvinyl333
2011-08-20, 06:34

Thanks for the information. Would this be what you are referring to?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Verbatim-2TB-USB-1.1-or-2.0-External-Hard-Drive-Black/17046024

Mnyb
2011-08-20, 06:34
Well you work with hardware so you prefer it big, solid and lumpy right
;-)

I Do real things should have 1000 amp fuses ;-) and should not be approached without fireproof clothing (just installed 5.4 MW of stuff last 2 weeks ).
(Sometimes I have to anchor the drawings with tools so that don't blow away by the draft from the cooling).