PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio DAC Magic-SB3

myvinyl333
2011-08-18, 04:34
Are there reductions in quality by using the digital out of the SB3 to the Cambridge DAC then digital out to pre amp?

MediaCenter
2011-08-18, 05:52
There should be no reduction till the preamp. You may have your reasons but its hard to think of a use case for that path...

aubuti
2011-08-18, 05:54
A lot of people, maybe most people, would say that the DAC Magic is better than the DAC in the SB3. But it is largely a matter of personal taste.

The best solution is to find a dealer who will let you audition the DAC Magic at home. Because all the SB3 outputs are active, you can easily set it up to use both the SB3's analog outputs into your pre-amp and the SB3 digital out into the DAC Magic and then into the pre-amp. Switch back and forth between the sources as much as you like to see which you prefer. Be careful to ensure that the volume levels are the same for the two sources; otherwise the louder source will almost always sound better.

myvinyl333
2011-08-18, 06:18
There should be no reduction till the preamp. You may have your reasons but its hard to think of a use case for that path...

My only input to the preamp(processor) is digital.

Lexicon Processor(in another room)
MacIntosh Amps in listening area w/ SB3)

aubuti
2011-08-18, 07:31
I guess I'm confused. What are you expecting the DACMagic to do? It has digital outputs, but its primary function is digital-to-analog conversion (ie, DAC).

MediaCenter
2011-08-18, 07:43

Lexicon Processor(in another room)
MacIntosh Amps in listening area w/ SB3)

I hope that you understand that Lexicon processor is doing the Digital to Analog conversion so DAC magic is useless in the connection path you mentioned.

That's why I was surprised, but then thought you may be switching digital inputs with DAC Magic.

Two options:
SB3 -D-> Lexicon
SB3 -D-> DAC Magic -A-> Lexicon

I am not a proponent of DAC differences. If you want to hear a difference just move your speaker few inches back or forward, you will hear a measurable difference.

myvinyl333
2011-08-18, 13:39
I hope that you understand that Lexicon processor is doing the Digital to Analog conversion so DAC magic is useless in the connection path you mentioned.

That's why I was surprised, but then thought you may be switching digital inputs with DAC Magic.

Two options:
SB3 -D-> Lexicon
SB3 -D-> DAC Magic -A-> Lexicon

I am not a proponent of DAC differences. If you want to hear a difference just move your speaker few inches back or forward, you will hear a measurable difference.

I have decided against a DAC. Forgot there is a DAC in the processor.