PDA

View Full Version : SB3 Classic or Touch

myvinyl333
2011-08-15, 20:32
I am considering replacing my SB3 classic with a Touch.
Cons: have read here that there is a visual issue as compared to the font on the SB3 and the ir remote is very basic.
Pro: I like the addition of adding a USB HD on the Touch and a color screen. Album art

Thoughts and suggestions?
Thanks,
jorge

epoch1970
2011-08-16, 13:37
IMHO you can get an even nicer color display with a remote like iPeng.
Maybe you can find a suitable DAC to upgrade the SB3 (for less than a Touch?).
Also the Touch will play hi def files, while the SB3 will not.

Note that I do not have a Touch. Personally you can pry my SB3s off my dead, cold hands...

myvinyl333
2011-08-16, 18:49
IMHO you can get an even nicer color display with a remote like iPeng.
Maybe you can find a suitable DAC to upgrade the SB3 (for less than a Touch?).
Also the Touch will play hi def files, while the SB3 will not.

Note that I do not have a Touch. Personally you can pry my SB3s off my dead, cold hands...

By like ipeng do you mean like the Squeeze commander for Android? What is a suitable DAC for SB3?
Thanks

epoch1970
2011-08-17, 01:37
I suppose so. I dont have Android devices. I've briefly used iPeng on iPad as a player, placed in a dock, hooked to a stereo. Looked spectacular.
So spectacular I don't care for it. But surely The color screen on Touch is no match for the iPad's.

As for the DAC. Depends on many things including your personal tastes.
I paid 200 for a V-Dac some time ago. At about half the price of Touch this seemed reasonable to me.

However. Don't you have use for 2 players?

myvinyl333
2011-08-17, 04:30
I suppose so. I dont have Android devices. I've briefly used iPeng on iPad as a player, placed in a dock, hooked to a stereo. Looked spectacular.
So spectacular I don't care for it. But surely The color screen on Touch is no match for the iPad's.

As for the DAC. Depends on many things including your personal tastes.
I paid 200 for a V-Dac some time ago. At about half the price of Touch this seemed reasonable to me.

However. Don't you have use for 2 players?

No I have one SB3 that is connected via wifi to my PC and in my main listening room hooked up with a digital out to the preamp (in another room). Does the V-Dac have a digital in/out?

erland
2011-08-17, 04:47
Cons: have read here that there is a visual issue as compared to the font on the SB3 and the ir remote is very basic.
Pro: I like the addition of adding a USB HD on the Touch and a color screen. Album art

Thanks,
jorge

The Classic has better long range visibility, especially if you don't want to use third party applets on the Touch. However, the visibility on the Touch isn't bad especially if we are talking 10 feet distance or less or you are prepared to use third party applets so you can resize some of the fonts.

Don't rely on the Touch working with a local USB HD, I know it's advertised to work but in reality it doesn't work reliable for many people, especially if you have a medium or large library. Many who have tried have reverted back to running SBS on a NAS or computer.

If you like a central album art display in the room, the Touch is a good choice but if you prefer to have view what's currently playing on your iPhone/Android phone the Classic will work as good from this perspective.

The audio quality from the Touch is generally considered to be a bit better than the Classic, but if the equipment you are connecting it to isn't good enough you might not be able to hear the difference.

I would personally recommend the Touch because for me personally it really makes a big difference to have that color display in the center of the room.

Philip Meyer
2011-08-17, 05:04
I have both a SB3 and a Touch.

I much prefer the SB3 in day to day use. For sure, the colour Touch screen is nice, but I don't feel the display or interface capability is fully utilised (and looks like it will not be extended much in the future).

I find the SB3 interface more intuitive.

Also, consider if you have any 3rd party plugins that are important to you - some may not be supported (or appropriate) for the Touch.

e.g. I have the Auto Dim Display plugin for SB3, such that the screen goes completely blank between 10pm and 7am, as the SB3 is used in the bedroom.

The Touch is quite a bright screen; there is an auto-dim mechanism, but it's not as useful for bedroom use.

There are some fundamental differences with Touch interface - e.g. touch songs will play the song, instead of right-arrow to show song details.

Some people like this, some hate it. Just be wary that you have to have an open mind to accept change to get on with the Touch interface differences; if you are accustomed to the SB3 interface, it might take a while to adjust.

Touch has a line-in jack, which is nice if you want to play music from another source, for example Podcasts from a portable media player.

gdpeck
2011-08-17, 05:56

Thanks,
jorge

I just went through the same question. I had two SB3s, and one of them died. I was considering getting a new SB Classic as a few places still sell them. I decided to go with the Touch, and am a little unsure that I made the correct decision. Here are some things that bother me:

1-The display is smaller and more sensitive to glare on the touch. From my listening position, which is about 12 feet away from the touch it is nearly impossible for me to read. I am using the built in functionality to make the font bigger when using the remote, but it is still too small. I haven't yet tried to use plug-ins to enhance this. Cover art is also pretty small, unless you are close to the Touch.
2-The Touch doesn't support being used as a wireless gateway, and probably never will due to hardware limitations. I used the SB3 as a wireless gateway and connected my blu-ray player to it. Now I will probably add an airport express in my entertainment center to provide this functionality.
3-The Touch doesn't support an IR blaster. I use an IR blaster with my bedroom system to control the receiver and it makes for a nice single remote solution. I was contemplating adding this functionality in my home-theater system where the Touch is installed, but now will not be able to. This isn't of major importance to me, since I use a Harmony remote with that system, but it would be nice to be able to use iPeng outdoors, and have the IR blaster automatically control the receiver for me.
4-The built-in analog VU meters on the SB3 are way cooler than the analog VU meters on the Touch

I did some brief non-blind a/b testing and didn't hear a big difference in sound quality between the Touch and the SB3. That's probably because I didn't spend enough time testing or because my equipment/ears aren't good enough.

In the Touch's favor, it is at least a current product so your chances of getting good support or repair may be better. I do like the Touch a lot, and think that you probably can't go wrong either way. At this point, I don't care about ever using the built-in server capability of the touch so that's a wash for me.

HTH
George

bobkoure
2011-08-17, 07:59
The SB3 can drive an IR emitter, so you can control some of your gear with it.
There's a plugin: IR Blaster
I used it at a friend's house to upgrade a whole-house audio system with a SB (actually a SB3 and a couple of remotes).

The last time time my Pronto went on the fritz, I started writing an Android app plus plugin to enable the android+app with SB3+IR emitter to work as a fancy remote control.
The Touch dropped this functionality - and I just replaced my Pronto.
There are devices that can take either wireless or ethernet (different models) and drive IR emitters, and writing to that interface would save me fussing with a plugin, but the devices are pretty expensive, so the population of potential buyers is pretty small - and I wouldn't even be able to recoup my hardware costs.

myvinyl333
2011-08-17, 09:55
I have both a SB3 and a Touch.

I much prefer the SB3 in day to day use. For sure, the colour Touch screen is nice, but I don't feel the display or interface capability is fully utilised (and looks like it will not be extended much in the future).

I find the SB3 interface more intuitive.

Also, consider if you have any 3rd party plugins that are important to you - some may not be supported (or appropriate) for the Touch.

e.g. I have the Auto Dim Display plugin for SB3, such that the screen goes completely blank between 10pm and 7am, as the SB3 is used in the bedroom.

The Touch is quite a bright screen; there is an auto-dim mechanism, but it's not as useful for bedroom use.

There are some fundamental differences with Touch interface - e.g. touch songs will play the song, instead of right-arrow to show song details.

Some people like this, some hate it. Just be wary that you have to have an open mind to accept change to get on with the Touch interface differences; if you are accustomed to the SB3 interface, it might take a while to adjust.

Touch has a line-in jack, which is nice if you want to play music from another source, for example Podcasts from a portable media player.

I am torn between keeping the SB3 as my main and upgrading to the Touch for the main. Unlike most of the information in the reply's, I actually use the SB3 stock or out of the box. I have a T4 controller that controls the main system of turntables, DVD/CD players, TV, etc. Have a Lexicon pre-amp and MacIntosh Amps in a 5.1 setting. So... I stream some flac files from my pc (with the squeezebox software) and stream internet audio. That said I really have yet to fully utilize the SB3, so the learning curve with the SBT would be minimal. I would like to begin to store some of my CDs (collection is 2,000+) that I do not listen to in flac, reduce access storage, thus still being able to access them via the Squeeze Box.

epoch1970
2011-08-17, 13:47
No I have one SB3 that is connected via wifi to my PC and in my main listening room hooked up with a digital out to the preamp (in another room). Does the V-Dac have a digital in/out?
I don't use a preamp. My main system setup is
SBS > SB3 toslink out > V-DAC > analog out > Rotel RA 05 > Kelinac KEL-111
This is the DAC: http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/V-Series/V-DAC/V-DAC.asp
The RA 05 has a remote control so I can use IR Blaster from the SB3. I use audio out fixed to 100% to keep full digital resolution in the SB3, and use IR Blaster to rotate the amp's volume button.

Given your description, if you have a nice preamp then I think digital out will be digital out (and you don't need a DAC). In your setup the only difference might lie in the fact HD music will output at 96KHz/24bits out of the Touch, while it is resampled to 44.1KHz/24bits by the server before being fed to the SB3. How important that is, I let you decide.