PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox as a Stereo Pair Improvements

david_f1976
2011-07-27, 06:56
If I can successfully get 7.6 working I'm toying with the idea of adding another Boom to my setup or a pair of Radios. Beyond stereo imaging, how much improvement in sound have people noticed with either of these setups (as far as these things can be 'measured')

JeffHart
2011-07-27, 12:15
Is there a setting or plug in that that allows you to adjust balance? If not then you'll get sound from one or more sources, but not stereo imaging. Hadn't thought of that as an application for Booms or Radios, but it would be fun to set one Radio up for the left channel and another one for the right. Could increase Radio sales, although WAF might be an issue :)

aubuti
2011-07-27, 12:48
Not the standard 'balance' per se, but there's a new feature in 7.6 that apparently lets you send only L channel or only R channel to a particular SB. Take two SB Radios, sync them, set one to L and one to R, and there you go. I haven't tried it yet.

Grahame
2011-07-27, 13:28
Is there a setting or plug in that that allows you to adjust balance? If not then you'll get sound from one or more sources, but not stereo imaging. Hadn't thought of that as an application for Booms or Radios, but it would be fun to set one Radio up for the left channel and another one for the right. Could increase Radio sales, although WAF might be an issue :)

Couldn't you just simulate the effect of a balance control by varying the individual volumes independently ?

Obviously not as elegant as a single balance control, but still.

JeffHart
2011-07-27, 14:03
Not the standard 'balance' per se, but there's a new feature in 7.6 that apparently lets you send only L channel or only R channel to a particular SB. Take two SB Radios, sync them, set one to L and one to R, and there you go. I haven't tried it yet.

Way cool, thanks for the tip. I've stayed away from the upgrade on the basic principle of not running any .0 release, but could be tempting.

Couldn't you just simulate the effect of a balance control by varying the individual volumes independently ?

Obviously not as elegant as a single balance control, but still.

Not quite - in a stereo setup the signals sent to the two channels are different. For example I have an album of the guitar trio of Paco Dalucia, John McLaughlin and Al Di Meola that's recorded with Paco on one channel, Al on the other and John balanced on both so it sounds like he's in the center. I think this is what the OP meant by stereo imaging so it would take sending the separate channels to each of the squeezeboxen in use. Am going to have to try it with my Boom and Radio and report back. Maybe over the weekend if I can overcome the fear of .0

bklaas
2011-07-27, 14:15
I've been rocking a paired L/R stereo pair of SBRadios for several weeks now in 7.6, and I LOVE it.

Mickey put up a wiki page on how to do it, to which I've added some additional edits.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Server_New_Features_for_Release_7.6.0

I think this really shines with SBRadio, but you could do it with any 2 squeezeboxes. I highly recommend giving it a shot if you have a pair of squeezeboxen sitting around feeling sad and mono.

cheers,
#!/ben

pippin
2011-07-27, 14:31
Hah. Finally the reason I needed to get my stolen Radio replaced....

david_f1976
2011-07-28, 00:26
I've been rocking a paired L/R stereo pair of SBRadios for several weeks now in 7.6, and I LOVE it.

Vague question. Would you say 2 x Radios >= a Boom.

andynormancx
2011-07-28, 00:31
Vague question. Would you say 2 x Radios >= a Boom.

It seems unlikely, the Boom feels to me to have better quality bass than the Radio. Simply adding another Radio isn't going to make up for that.

vw195
2011-07-28, 08:51
Yes but it should have alot better seperation :)