PDA

View Full Version : Sonos3 features of SS 7.6

froth
2011-07-26, 13:49
Hello, I was just reviewing some marketing material about the new Sonos "Play" 3. It appears to have a similiar capability to the Stereo settings of Squeeze Server 7.6 where you can use two wireless devices for a Left and Right Stereo channel. What I found interesting was the price. They have listed 299 for a device and then for 59.00 you can add the wirless network.

To me this looks like Sonos is trying to enter somewhat into the market where logitech has been for a while. Now without new boom boxes available from logitech, this may leave an opening for Sonos to sell some product.

I know that I might have looked at Sonos a while back if they had something like this S3 back then as an alternative to the boom.

JJZolx
2011-07-26, 13:55
The devices themselves don't do wireless? Why is that?

erland
2011-07-26, 20:43
The devices themselves don't do wireless? Why is that?

As I've understood, one of the Sonos devices have to be connected with a wire then the rest will communicate wireless using Sonos proprietary wireless protocol.

So if you have two Play:3 devices and one is connected with wire it works. If you want both to be wireless, you need their cheaper Bride device and connect that to the router to make their proprietary wireless network to work.

I guess the reason at least one needs to be wired is because they can't talk standard WiFi with the router since they only understand Sonos proprietary wireless protocol.

Squeezebox uses standard WiFi and due to this all Squeezeboxes can be wireless. The disadvantage with Squeezebox which uses standard WiFi is that it's usually a bit more complex to setup unless you know how to setup a wireless network.

If someone have compared the audio quality from a Squeezebox and Sonos device it would be very interesting to hear the result. It feels like sometimes we just assume that Squeezebox sounds better, but is it really possible to hear any difference in a real world comparison ?

JJZolx
2011-07-26, 20:47
But if you already had a Sonos wireless network, would you still need the bridge?

garym
2011-07-26, 20:58
As I've understood, one of the Sonos devices have to be connected with a wire then the rest will communicate wireless using Sonos proprietary wireless protocol.

So if you have two Play:3 devices and one is connected with wire it works. If you want both to be wireless, you need their cheaper Bride device and connect that to the router to make their proprietary wireless network to work.

I guess the reason at least one needs to be wired is because they can't talk standard WiFi with the router since they only understand Sonos proprietary wireless protocol.

Squeezebox uses standard WiFi and due to this all Squeezeboxes can be wireless. The disadvantage with Squeezebox which uses standard WiFi is that it's usually a bit more complex to setup unless you know how to setup a wireless network.

If someone have compared the audio quality from a Squeezebox and Sonos device it would be very interesting to hear the result. It feels like sometimes we just assume that Squeezebox sounds better, but is it really possible to hear any difference in a real world comparison ?

I'd be surprised if the sound quality was different between the two systems (although I suppose the DACs could be quite different, don't know). For me the biggest limitations are that Sonos has a track limit that is much less than my library and it doesn't have the equivalent of your plugins (dynamic playlists, etc.). Those two things alone are a deal breaker for me.

erland
2011-07-26, 21:27
But if you already had a Sonos wireless network, would you still need the bridge?

I don't think so, I think the Bridge is only needed if none of the other Sonos devices in the network can be connected with a wire. If at least one of them can be connected with a wire, the Bridge isn't needed. There is basically a built-in Sonos proprietary wireless network access point built into all Sonos devices and the one connected with a wire will act as access point for all the others.

So the purpose of the Bride is just to be able to offer a cheaper solution for those who aren't interested in wires and don't want to listen to music in the room where the closest network cable is. In that case, they will just put a Bridge in that room and it will offer Internet access to all the Sonos devices in the other rooms.

But I haven't tried it myself, so I might have misunderstood something, but this is how I've interpreted it when reading on the Sonos forum.