PDA

View Full Version : Network Test

Skye
2011-07-23, 10:04
Has anyone else noticed a difference between Windows and Linux in the maximum error-free rate that the ĎNetwork Testí facility on a Squeezebox can run at on a wired Ethernet connection?

Iíve a collection of mostly old PCs running either Windows XP, WHS or Linux on my home LAN. Iíve loaded Squeezebox Server on to them. If I then do a network test to each server I consistently see that it will run at 5000 kbps for a good long while if the server is on Linux, but it craps out quite soon at 1500 on any of the Windows machines.

I was wondering if this is an anomaly with the ĎNetwork Testí plugin or my particular LAN setup (Netgear GS608v2), or perhaps a known difference in the network performance of the OS, which seems unlikely to me, hence the question.

Mnyb
2011-07-23, 10:44
Actually thats what i saw with win XP around 2008, I thougth it was down to the botched up Norton install ? No more than 1500kbps, now my linux server happily do 5000 with 1/4 of the cpu capacity ?
it was also an EOM HP install, maybe it is something with windows and streaming ?

( installing ubuntu on that same machine also solved this )

can it be things to tweak in windows ?

Skye
2011-07-23, 12:38
Iíve tried changing the options on the network cards, changing the physical network cards, turning off services that I thought might have caused network distractions, but nothing seemed to change much.

Ideally, I would like to use another method of testing streaming speed to check the validity of the Network Test plug in.

JJZolx
2011-07-23, 13:05
Are you having problems with dropouts on your wired Squeezeboxes? Are you unable to add another Squeezebox (your sixth, seventh?) to your network due to networking issue?

Mnyb
2011-07-23, 13:15
Iíve tried changing the options on the network cards, changing the physical network cards, turning off services that I thought might have caused network distractions, but nothing seemed to change much.

Ideally, I would like to use another method of testing streaming speed to check the validity of the Network Test plug in.

It works best with ip3k players it can be missleading with Touch for example( heavy load) as explained to me in another tread .

Skye
2011-07-24, 01:14
No, never any problems with dropouts with wired Squeezeboxes (SB2 &SB3), but problems with the Receiver/Controller setup on WiFi. This led me (some time ago) to check the wired streaming rates to establish what rates the AP could expect to receive the data stream on the Ethernet port. I was surprised that on a Fast Ethernet LAN, it was tripping over itself at 5000 kbps. This led me to try other Windows XP machines as servers, then Linux, resulting in the observations above.

Having by now got used to the feeling that the Duet is intrinsically a bit naff, my current interest is in setting up a new media sever and choosing the best OS to run on it. If the Network Test plugin is a reliable indication, then I might want to avoid XP, but I donít want to dismiss it without convincing myself that it actually is XP rather than some tweak Iím missing.

Itís just occurred to me that my wifeís (mainly Photoshop) PC runs Windows 7 Home Premium. Iíll put Squeezebox Server + 250 Gig of .flacs on that and see how she runs.

Skye
2011-07-24, 07:53
Well, tried that:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit gave pretty much the same results as XP.
Hmm..

Triode
2011-07-24, 08:30
Net test relies on timers in the operating system to generate the test traffic. I've not tried it on windows recently, but it may be that this causes the limitation.

It will be different on Touch/Radio with 7.6 and should be more accurate.

If it reads 1500 all the time I would not worry - it should be enough to stream flac.

Skye
2011-07-26, 04:54
Ah! Good, thanks for that Triode, that seems a reasonable explanation of what Iím seeing.