PDA

View Full Version : Kindle SB Controler

Labarum
2011-07-18, 13:47
Can a Kindle be made to control an SB?

nelamvr6
2011-07-18, 14:29
You could prolly use the web interface.

But the remote control that came with the SB would work just as well. Unless you HAVE to have a graphical interface...

Labarum
2011-07-18, 14:36
You could prolly use the web interface.

That's what I thought, but I wondered if someone had modified an App and hacked the Kindle.

I use my laptop as a controller more that the IR Remote.

nelamvr6
2011-07-18, 14:49
That's what I thought, but I wondered if someone had modified an App and hacked the Kindle.

I use my laptop as a controller more that the IR Remote.

Yeah, that would work much better than a Kindle IMHO. I use my Xoom, iPads work well also...

Kindles are absolutely awesome... for reading.

I'm afraid they are very specialized, as they should be. They're great for reading, but not for much else. And personally, I wouldn't have it any other way.

IMHO, YMMV etc etc...

maggior
2011-07-18, 14:53
I once tried to load up the SqueezeBoxServer webpage on my kindle and it never came up. I gave up on it at that point.

The web browser on it isn't that great - even wikipedia was slow on it.

As others have said though - it is great for reading!!! Since this last December, all of my reading has been done on it exclusively - about 10 novels.

pski
2011-07-18, 16:50
I once tried to load up the SqueezeBoxServer webpage on my kindle and it never came up. I gave up on it at that point.

The web browser on it isn't that great - even wikipedia was slow on it.

As others have said though - it is great for reading!!! Since this last December, all of my reading has been done on it exclusively - about 10 novels.

I think a "text box" based interface might be very welcome to those of us who don't want to use our reading glasses and could pop to the right place without the luxury of album art.

I use my laptop at the dock and I must say the default interface requires both shade and reading glasses.

P

elision
2011-07-19, 02:59
Can a Kindle be made to control an SB?

Yes, I've successfully used the web interface with my Kindle mainly for searching in Spotify - it's easier to use the Kindle's keyboard than the Radio's scroll wheel.

As other people have said, the Kindle is fantastic for what's it designed for but it's not a general purpose device.

Ian.