PDA

View Full Version : Can I play music from a CD player over a network to a Squeezebox boom wirelessly?

sizla
2011-07-18, 12:52
Help please on 2 questions:

1) I've got some nice Pioneer CDJ400s and Numark mixer setup in another room.
We have a huge CD collection that will take eternity to rip - is there an easy way to just play a CD on the decks and then for this to play in another room on a Squeezebox boom?

My Squeezebox server is stored on a NAS, and there is CAT5 in the house - but typically, I need to transmit wirelessly to the squeebox boom?

2) I moved from a PC to a Mac recently. I had a script written on my PC that copied any new folders that were added to my iTunes library to a music folder on my NAS wirelessly when I updated a new CD to itunes. Is there a script out there for a mac that I could write - I'm a total novice to mac - and no one I knows can help!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

TiredLegs
2011-07-19, 11:08
If you had spare CAT5 wires (NOT being used for networking), you could take the analog audio output from the CD player, run it through a set of "baluns" over the CAT5 (such as this: http://www.avovercat5.com/products/avoa2.htm), then into the Line In on the Boom.

However, the real solution is just to knuckle down and rip those CDs. I suggest dBPowerAmp's CD Ripper for that task.

aubuti
2011-07-19, 11:47
However, the real solution is just to knuckle down and rip those CDs. I suggest dBPowerAmp's CD Ripper for that task.
+1
Another way of sending audio from a CD player to a SB is the CDPlayer plugin. The thing is, that depends on using the CD drive on a computer running SBS. Which means (a) you'd have to run SBS on a pc instead of a NAS, and (b) you wouldn't be able to use the CDJ400 etc.

Time to get rippin'

EDIT: Note that for the baluns solution suggested by TiredLegs to work you need to have a direct connection from one end of the cat5 to the other. That is, it cannot go through any network device such as a router, switch, or hub.

TiredLegs
2011-07-19, 13:22
Note that for the baluns solution suggested by TiredLegs to work you need to have a direct connection from one end of the cat5 to the other. That is, it cannot go through any network device such as a router, switch, or hub.
That is correct, no active networking component of any kind can be on the same line. However, the solution can work over up to 2500 feet of CAT5 cable, and if necessary, you can connect CAT5 cables to each other with simple plug couplers. In my own home, I have an SB3 running into a DAC, with the DAC's fixed level outputs going through baluns into another room to the Aux input on a vintage receiver. It works really well, as long as the baluns are high quality ones with full range bandwidth (such as the ones I linked to). Some cheaper baluns don't handle all the way down to 20Hz, and can produce considerable bass distortion.

pski
2011-07-19, 15:39
That is correct, no active networking component of any kind can be on the same line. However, the solution can work over up to 2500 feet of CAT5 cable, and if necessary, you can connect CAT5 cables to each other with simple plug couplers. In my own home, I have an SB3 running into a DAC, with the DAC's fixed level outputs going through baluns into another room to the Aux input on a vintage receiver. It works really well, as long as the baluns are high quality ones with full range bandwidth (such as the ones I linked to). Some cheaper baluns don't handle all the way down to 20Hz, and can produce considerable bass distortion.

Before I used SB's, I had used cat5 to run line-level from one end of my house to the other simply by attaching terminal strips on the end and attaching pig-tailed RCA connector directly. I never considered using baluns and did not have any issues with fidelity.

P