PDA

View Full Version : Playlists on Squeezebox Touch with USB hard drive?

poodle
2011-07-16, 07:02
Let me set the scene, please: I've gotten an external hard-drive with its own power source (WD My Book Essential), and it works beautifully with my SB Touch. I restart the SBT, plug the drive into the SBT and the power source, and the SBT finds it happily and knows where all the songs are. (This wasn't the case with the USB drive with no external power source--I couldn't get that to work reliably at all.)

Could someone please tell me or direct me to information about how to create a playlist with this set-up? Do I need to do it on the computer first, creating a playlist on the USB drive? Or is there an equally easy way to create the playlist on the fly with everything pluggged in and running on the SBT?

In the meantime, I'm just using Random Play options.

Thanks!

aubuti
2011-07-16, 07:16
Not necessarily intuitive, and not as easy as a lot of computer-based playlist methods, but here goes. You can do it with either the Touch's touchscreen, or with the included infrared remote.

1) Using the Touch's infrared remote
a) navigate to a track or album you want to add to the playlist
b) press the "+" button on the remote
c) a context menu comes up, from which you can choose "Add to End", "Play Next", "Replace Next Track", etc. Choose one of those.
d) repeat steps (a) through (c) until you have the playlist you want
e) save the playlist by bringing up the current playlist (to be honest, I don't know how to do this with the IR remote, as I rarely use it), then scroll down to the bottom and select "Save playlist". You will be prompted to give a name for the playlist.

2) Using the Touch's touchscreen
same as above, except
b) to get the context menu you touch and hold the selection for about 2 seconds.
and
e) it is easy to get to the current playlist by using the icon on the upper right part of the screen. It toggles the screen between "Now Playing" view and "Playlist View"

If you have another controller (SB Duet Controller, iPhone, Android device, iPod Touch, etc) then there are similar ways to do it with any of those.

kidstypike
2011-07-16, 14:34
e) save the playlist by bringing up the current playlist (to be honest, I don't know how to do this with the IR remote, as I rarely use it), then scroll down to the bottom and select "Save playlist". You will be prompted to give a name for the playlist.

From the "Now Playing" screen > right arrow will get you to the current playlist.

aubuti
2011-07-16, 17:53
From the "Now Playing" screen > right arrow will get you to the current playlist.
Thanks. I'll try to remember that. It's amazing how little I use my IR remotes any more.

poodle
2012-04-22, 11:47
I am having no luck with playlists. Could someone please help or direct me to more help? Here are the problems: Sometimes I can create a playlist on the Touch using the remote, and sometimes I can't. I'll use the plus button to add an album to the playlist, go back to the playlist (labeled "empty") and press the plus button. Nothing happens. I try to play the playlist. No songs will play. I can't find another playlist through the menus. The remote won't let me rename the playlist or see what's in it.

Can I use the web interface to create, view, add and delete songs in playlists?

My dream: I would like to have the functionality I had with a 5-disc CD changer, that is, to be able to pick a set of CDs (saved as FLAC files now on a USB drive that has its own power source) and play songs out of order, letting the Touch switch song to song, from CD to CD. I can use Random mix with genre, but that doesn't give me the level of control I want. Color me frustrated and baffled that this is not more transparent, but also very willing and eager to learn from people who have mastered this function. It seems so basic and yet so far out of reach.

Thank you!

kidstypike
2012-04-22, 11:59
I am having no luck with playlists. Could someone please help or direct me to more help? Here are the problems: Sometimes I can create a playlist on the Touch using the remote, and sometimes I can't. I'll use the plus button to add an album to the playlist, go back to the playlist (labeled "empty") and press the plus button. Nothing happens. I try to play the playlist. No songs will play. I can't find another playlist through the menus. The remote won't let me rename the playlist or see what's in it.

Can I use the web interface to create, view, add and delete songs in playlists?

My dream: I would like to have the functionality I had with a 5-disc CD changer, that is, to be able to pick a set of CDs (saved as FLAC files now on a USB drive that has its own power source) and play songs out of order, letting the Touch switch song to song, from CD to CD. I can use Random mix with genre, but that doesn't give me the level of control I want. Color me frustrated and baffled that this is not more transparent, but also very willing and eager to learn from people who have mastered this function. It seems so basic and yet so far out of reach.

Thank you!

Using the web UI, add your set of CD's to the playlist in the right panel, by clicking on the + symbol on the cover art.
Click the shuffle button, top right.
Click the save icon, bottom right.
Give the playlist a name.

To find your playlist on the Touch > My Music > Playlists.

Sorry, as Mynb has stated below, you can't use the web ui when using Touch's inbuilt server. (I was going off the post title).

aubuti
2012-04-22, 12:16
As kidstypike described, this functionality is dead easy with the SB. And better yet, you don't have to limit yourself to 5 CDs.... :-)

Mnyb
2012-04-22, 12:32
The server "onboard" touch does not have any web-UI has , the full server has that.

kidstypike
2012-04-22, 13:19
This is dead easy to do, difficult to describe.

Try this using the Touch screen:

Find an album and start it playing
From the "Now Playing" screen, touch the "Playlist" icon top right.
Scroll to the bottom of the playlist and touch "Save playlist"
Type a name on the keyboard that pops up, and touch "Done" bottom right of keyboard
Go to My Music > Playlists, and your recently named playlist should be there.

It really is simple!

To make a playlist of a few albums, browse to the first album, touch and hold till you get a popup, and touch "add to end".
Repeat this for all the albums you want on your playlist.
From the "Now Playing" screen, touch the "Playlist" icon top right.
Scroll to the bottom of the playlist and touch "Save playlist"
Type a name on the keyboard that pops up, and touch "Done" bottom right of keyboard
Go to My Music > Playlists, and your recently named playlist should be there.

Don't forget to press the shuffle button if you want the playlist shuffled.

aubuti
2012-04-22, 13:25
The server "onboard" touch does not have any web-UI has , the full server has that.
Sorry, I had forgotten in my earlier reply that the OP is using the Touch's built-in server. So using the web-ui is a non-starter.

Even so, it works just fine using the IR remote or the touchscreen. I'd say the IR remote is the easier of the two, because you don't have to worry about not touching-and-holding the screen long enough to bring up the context menu. Instead, with the IR remote just push the + button. After you press the + button you should get a choice of "Add to End", "Play Next", "Play". It sounds as if you're not choosing any of these, which is one way of ending up with an "empty" playlist. Take a careful look again at the step-by-steps in posts #2 and #9.

poodle
2012-04-22, 14:35
Thanks! It's so easy once you understand the logic. My logic was to start with Playlists, but my logic isn't the logic the SBT uses, and I needed to start with the music I want in the playlist. Easy as pie. Thanks!

Now, I can see the playlist on the SBT, but when I play it using either the SBT remote or the web remote, I get an error message on the SBT saying that the file can't be found. It looks like the song is playing, because the SBT shows the song in "Now Playing" and shows that it is progressing through the song, but a message says "Stopped" at the top of the screen. All of the album information is there, but there is no sound. I switched to internet radio, and can hear a station, so the sound is working.

Maybe this will help or confuse things more: I have two players listed in the web remote: Squeezebox Server and Squeezebox Server (USB). If the web remote shows that I am using Squeezebox Server, then I can create a playlist, and this is the playlist that shows up on the SBT. If the web remote shows that my player is Squeezebox Server (USB), I can't create a playlist.

In the Server Settings window, the Player tab tells me that my Player isn't found.

In the web remote, if I switch from one player to the other, the IP goes from http://127.0.0.1:9000/ to http://192.168.1.114:9000/.

Right now, with the SBT trying to play the playlist from Squeezebox Server, Squeezebox Server (USB) doesn't appear in the web remote player options. But sometimes it does.

I am again very confused, and I am sure I am missing something. Can you spot what it is?

Thanks for any and all help!

poodle
2012-04-22, 14:40
... The web server settings just found the player. Will go see if the song is playing or if I still get that error message.

poodle
2012-04-22, 14:51
OK, the player Squeezebox Touch uses my laptop as the library, but my laptop doesn't have any songs on its hard-drive; they are all on the USB drive. So that must be why I'm getting the error message telling me it can't open the file. Squeezebox Touch (USB) uses the USB library (I guess), but I can't make a playlist on that with the web remote. Is that just the rule? I can't use the web remote to access the USB and create playlists, and just have to use the SBT touch screen itself?

aubuti
2012-04-22, 14:54
I am again very confused, and I am sure I am missing something. Can you spot what it is?
It appears to me that you are trying to run two different _servers_, the built-in server on the Touch plus one on your pc. You should stick with one, at least until you get a better handle on what you're doing.

To use a USB drive connected directly to the Touch, you should use the Touch's built-in server -- that's likely the one with the "(USB)" reference. However, the Touch's built-in server does not have any web interface, so to control it you need to use one (or more) of IR remote, touchscreen, smartphone, or tablet.

Likewise, if you use the LMS running on your pc, it will use some other source, such as its internal hard drive or a network drive, for the music library.

Now, because the Touch runs file sharing software (Samba), I suppose it's possible that you have set things up in a complicated way in which the LMS on your pc is reaching out the USB connected to your Touch as a network drive. If that is the case, then the Touch and the pc will see the pathnames as very different, which could lead to "file not found" errors.

Or is the web interface you refer to the mysqueezebox.com web interface, and not LMS at all?

So...
1) are you trying to run LMS on both your Touch and the pc? If so, why?
2) is the web interface on your pc the LMS interface, or mysqueezebox.com?

aubuti
2012-04-22, 15:00
OK, the player Squeezebox Touch uses my laptop as the library, but my laptop doesn't have any songs on its hard-drive; they are all on the USB drive. So that must be why I'm getting the error message telling me it can't open the file. Squeezebox Touch (USB) uses the USB library (I guess), but I can't make a playlist on that with the web remote. Is that just the rule? I can't use the web remote to access the USB and create playlists, and just have to use the SBT touch screen itself?
As noted earlier, if you're using the Touch's built-in server, there is no web remote. It is deliberately disabled on the Touch's server because of the Touch's limited processing power.

You could
1) use the Touch's built-in server and make playlists using the touchscreen, or the IR remote, or a smartphone, or a tablet
or
2) attach the USB drive to your laptop and run LMS on your laptop, then create playlists using the web interface _or_ any of the methods mentioned in (1).

kidstypike
2012-04-22, 15:05

Exactly! You cannot use the web ui to operate the Touch when it is connected to it's internal server.
You can use:
It's infrared remote
It's touch screen
Another squeezebox player on your network
Smartphones etc. running an app
Squeezeplay running on a PC/laptop on your network

But NOT the web ui.

poodle
2012-04-22, 16:59
Thanks very much for all the good advice. I have decided to simplify my life by plugging the USB into my computer and leaving it there. That way I can rip albums to it and play them easily without having to do gymnastics with the SBT and its server and library settings. Phew! This is going to be a lot more fun now.

dasmueller
2012-04-22, 20:22
I believe you will be very pleased w your decision. It is all just easier setup that way.

trott3r
2012-04-23, 09:22
Hello,

At 21:19 22/04/2012, you wrote:

>This is dead easy to do, difficult to describe.
>
>Try this using the Touch screen:
>
>Find an album and start it playing
> From the "Now Playing" screen, touch the "Playlist" icon top right.
>Scroll to the bottom of the playlist and touch "Save playlist"
>Type a name on the keyboard that pops up, and touch "Done" bottom right
>of keyboard
>Go to My Music > Playlists, and your recently named playlist should be
>there.
>
>It really is simple!
>
>To make a playlist of a few albums, browse to the first album, touch and
>hold till you get a popup, and touch "add to end".
>Repeat this for all the albums you want on your playlist.
> From the "Now Playing" screen, touch the "Playlist" icon top right.
>Scroll to the bottom of the playlist and touch "Save playlist"
>Type a name on the keyboard that pops up, and touch "Done" bottom right
>of keyboard
>Go to My Music > Playlists, and your recently named playlist should be
>there.
>
>Don't forget to press the shuffle button if you want the playlist
>shuffled.

I have got the playlist working saved as "slow1" for late night listening.

But i cannot figure out how to shuffle the albums.
Do i always have to play the first album on the play list and then it shuffles
the later albums?

Just dont want to start with the same album on the playlist.

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.6 (Nov 2010) on Mac Mini, Moderator of
MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups

kidstypike
2012-04-23, 10:01
I have got the playlist working saved as "slow1" for late night listening.

But i cannot figure out how to shuffle the albums.
Do i always have to play the first album on the play list and then it shuffles
the later albums?

Just dont want to start with the same album on the playlist.

Martin N

Just press the shuffle button on the remote, or touch the shuffle icon on the screen. One press plays all tracks from all albums randomly, two presses plays whole albums randomly. Then start playing your playlist.

kidstypike
2012-04-23, 10:11
Just press the shuffle button on the remote, or touch the shuffle icon on the screen. One press plays all tracks from all albums randomly, two presses plays whole albums randomly. Then start playing your playlist.

Here:

trott3r
2012-04-23, 10:13
Lo,

At 18:01 23/04/2012, you wrote:

>trott3r wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > I have got the playlist working saved as "slow1" for late night
> > listening.
> >
> > But i cannot figure out how to shuffle the albums.
> > Do i always have to play the first album on the play list and then it
> > shuffles
> > the later albums?
> >
> > Just dont want to start with the same album on the playlist.
> >
> > Martin N
>
>Just press the shuffle button on the remote, or touch the shuffle icon
>on the screen. One press plays all tracks from all albums randomly, two
>presses plays whole albums randomly. Then start playing your playlist.

It carries on playing the album at the top of the list.

Do i need to pause the playing first then hit the shuffle button?

Martin N

kidstypike
2012-04-23, 12:45
It carries on playing the album at the top of the list.

Do i need to pause the playing first then hit the shuffle button?

Martin N

On the Touch screen:

Tap the shuffle icon for either shuffle track or shuffle album, depending on which you want.
Go to "My Music" > "Playlists" and press and hold the playlist you want till you get a popup, tap play.

trott3r
2012-04-23, 14:36
Lo,
At 20:45 23/04/2012, you wrote:

>trott3r wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> > It carries on playing the album at the top of the list.
> >
> > Do i need to pause the playing first then hit the shuffle button?
>
>On the Touch screen:
>
>Clear the playlist, by tapping the playlist icon top right, scroll down
>to the bottom of the playlist and tap "Clear Playlist"

Right i did the above and it goes to the home screen and so there is
no shuffle icon.

Martin N

kidstypike
2012-04-23, 14:42
Right i did the above and it goes to the home screen and so there is
no shuffle icon.

Martin N

OK, I edited the above post, try it now.