PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreak my squeezebox?

Dontz
2011-07-15, 20:03
I'm trying to get remote control working. The requirement of having the controller and the sqeezebox tied to an account on mysqeezebox.com is causing major problems. This doesn't make sense at all.

Anyone know how to jailbreak the Squeezebox to cut the Logitech website out of the loop?

JJZolx
2011-07-15, 21:01
Run a local Squeezebox Server.

Dontz
2011-07-16, 13:44
Run a local Squeezebox Server.

Ha ha, very funny. A squeezebox server would cost more than the Squeezebox. Then there's the time and hassle involved in setting it up, finding somewhere to put it, providing network and power connections.

JJZolx
2011-07-16, 13:56
Install Rockbox.

Mnyb
2011-07-16, 13:58
which product did you buy ? If it is the duet aka controller + reciever ?

if so the reciever is very primitive ( a slim device ) it can do nothing without a server.

This server can be Mysqueezebox.com or a local squeezebozserver .

I notice that you are able to post here, so you have a computer a network and internet conection.

so at no aditional cost you can either register at mysqueezebox.com and use it from there or instal the squeezeboxserver on your computer.
There is no need to build a seperate server pc use what you already have.

are you planning to use local files ? Then you have to use a local server.

For internet radio services and apps you will need an mysb.com account working in the background anyway

aubuti
2011-07-16, 17:56
Ha ha, very funny. A squeezebox server would cost more than the Squeezebox. Then there's the time and hassle involved in setting it up, finding somewhere to put it, providing network and power connections.
How about using the same computer you're using to post on the forums? Just install SBS on it. It doesn't have to be a dedicated music server. And even if it were a separate computer, you could get adequate hardware for less than the cost of a Squeezebox.

Dontz
2011-07-16, 19:31
Sorry ... false alarm - sort of. I think I got it working.

First I de-registered the Touch from the website and reconnected it to WiFi. Then I killed and restarted the Squeezebox app on the ipHone about ten times but it wouldn't find the Touch. Then on the "Choose Player" screen I pressed the retry button about 30 times. At various times it either told me there was no squeezebox on the network or presented an empty list. But I knew from my network analyser that both the iphOne and the Touch were visible on the network so I just kept on pressing retry, retry, retry. Eventually the Squeezebox appeared in the "Choose Player" list on the iphoNe and I was able to connect.

Dontz
2011-07-16, 19:47
How about using the same computer you're using to post on the forums? Just install SBS on it. It doesn't have to be a dedicated music server. And even if it were a separate computer, you could get adequate hardware for less than the cost of a Squeezebox.

The computer is off when not in use. Walking into the other room to turn on the computer, then waiting for it to boot before playing music is not convenient.

Leaving a computer on 24hrs a day would use about 200 watts X 8760 hours = 1752 kilowatt hours of electricity per year. At my current rate of 17.3c/KWH that's $300 per year. Also not a good idea if you believe in global warming.

The Touch on standby uses about 3 Watts, so that's about 26 KWH per year.

erland
2011-07-16, 22:01
I'm not sure I understand what you like to accomplish ?
Are you having a Touch with a USB drive but want to be able to use it without having an Internet connection/mysqueezebox.com account, or ?

In that case, I don't think the mysqueezebox.com account is required during playback, it think it's only needed during initial setup.

If you like to hack the Touch, you just need to activate the "Settings/Advanced/Remote Login" menu and then login to it via ssh from a computer and change any logic you like to change. This will of course require you do have development skills and so for no one has bothered to do any change related to the mysqueezebox.com connection requirement. But as I said, I think it should work without mysqueezebox.com connection after the initial setup as long as you only want to listen to locally stored music on an USB drive.

aubuti
2011-07-16, 22:01
Leaving a computer on 24hrs a day would use about 200 watts X 8760 hours = 1752 kilowatt hours of electricity per year. At my current rate of 17.3c/KWH that's $300 per year. Also not a good idea if you believe in global warming.
You don't need the computer on 24 hours a day -- that's one reason why ACPI suspend/hibernate was invented. Just use WOL to bring it out of suspend/hibernate from the Touch whenever you want to listen to something that requires SBS. And then go back to suspend when you're done, again via the Touch (or automatically if you use the right plugin). No need to walk into the other room or touch the computer.

And if you believe in global warming (I do) a 200w computer isn't a good idea in the first place.

toby10
2011-07-17, 03:45
Leaving a computer on 24hrs a day would use about 200 watts X 8760 hours = 1752 kilowatt hours of electricity per year...

200 watts is likely the MAX rating of your computer. This is assuming every single available slot and port is in use, all drives are spinning, all devices are functioning, and all at the same time.
Running only SBS server it would draw only a fraction of that. In suspend/hibernate even less.

Mnyb
2011-07-17, 04:04
200 watts is likely the MAX rating of your computer. This is assuming every single available slot and port is in use, all drives are spinning, all devices are functioning, and all at the same time.
Running only SBS server it would draw only a fraction of that. In suspend/hibernate even less.

And the cpu(s) are pegged at 100% and graphic card is rendering fast moving 3D shapes...

Or maybe the poster have one of thoose gaming pcs with 1200w power supply etc.

Btw I've successfully used WOL wake on lan for years , but from completely off it takes some minutes to boot but, it also take some minutes to hang up my coat and do some other stuff when i get home from work .

For the more inpatient WOL from hibernate may be better.

TiredLegs
2011-07-19, 10:57
You could run Squeezebox Server on a Network Attached Storage device or similar bare bones computer that would only consume about 10 watts at idle.

But if you have a Squeezebox Touch, why don't you just plug in a USB drive and run the "tiny" server built into the Touch?

Dontz
2011-07-19, 19:22
I'm not sure I understand what you like to accomplish ?
Are you having a Touch with a USB drive but want to be able to use it without having an Internet connection/mysqueezebox.com account, or ?

Yes, the objective is to use a USB (no external server) with the Touch. Strangely the menus on the Touch give the option of being connected to local -OR- being connected to Mysqueezebox.com but not both. If Touch is connected to Mysqueezebox you can use the remote control function on that site but because the touch is not connected local you can only play internet radio, not the files on the USB. Pretty pointless really.

Anyways, I made the invalid assumption that this also applied to the remote app(iphone). This assumption was reinforced by the fact that the remote app was trying to force me to login to Mysqueezebox(why?) and would not see the Touch on the LAN, although it eventually did (see above).

All good now.

toby10
2011-07-20, 04:16
Yes, the objective is to use a USB (no external server) with the Touch. Strangely the menus on the Touch give the option of being connected to local -OR- being connected to Mysqueezebox.com but not both. If Touch is connected to Mysqueezebox you can use the remote control function on that site but because the touch is not connected local you can only play internet radio, not the files on the USB. Pretty pointless really.....

Correct. Your player can only be connected to one server at a time and the online MySB server cannot access your local music.
When your player is connected to an SBS server it has full access to MySB content via the SBS server. So just don't switch away from SBS and you have the best of both.
In essence, it is pointless to switch to MySB if you are running the Touch's inbuilt TinySBS to access the USB content anyway. :)

If you liked the MySB Remote Control then just run a software player on SBS, SoftSqueeze or SqueezePlay.

andynormancx
2011-07-20, 04:41
If you liked the MySB Remote Control then just run a software player on SBS, SoftSqueeze or SqueezePlay.
He wasn't talking about the MySB Remote Control page, he was talking about the Squeezebox app running on an iPhone.

toby10
2011-07-20, 05:15
He wasn't talking about the MySB Remote Control page, he was talking about the Squeezebox app running on an iPhone.

ooops, I missed that part. Thanks. :)