PDA

View Full Version : How do I play back local files using Spotify?

mweldon
2011-07-14, 17:35
Hey guys,

Been playing around with both the Spotify plugin for SBS and the mysb Spotify "app." First of all, nice work!

Unfortunately the best feature (to me) of Spotify doesn't seem to be supported by either of these: playing back local music that I have added to Spotify playlists (that Spotify doesn't have a copy of).

At the moment all of those tracks are missing from my playlists. While I don't expect everything to work magically on day one, this is REALLY disappointing to me since being able to combine Spotify tracks + locally stored tracks it what makes it such a killer app. Without that it's basically the same as Rhapsody/Napster etc.

Are there any plans to add this functionality? Or am I maybe just doing something wrong? Thanks in advance

aubuti
2011-07-14, 18:58
While I don't expect everything to work magically on day one, this is REALLY disappointing to me since being able to combine Spotify tracks + locally stored tracks it what makes it such a killer app. Without that it's basically the same as Rhapsody/Napster etc.
Huh? Napster and Rhapsody have been able to mix local tracks with their respective libraries for years now. I have a playlist going now on my kitchen SB that has tracks from my local collection, Napster, and Rhapsody.

All the Spotify PR trumpets the local/remote mixing, so I have to believe the feature is there. Either it's first day glitches, or you're doing something wrong. I haven't signed up for my Spotify premium yet to see what's up.

EDIT: okay, I think I see what you mean about "killer app". I didn't realize at first that the local library is pretty much integrated with Spotify library (I've only used the Spotify computer player so far, but I assume it's supposed to be the same on the SB). Very nice, and definitely something that Rhapsody and Napster lack.

EDIT2: And now that I've gotten my premium account I see what you mean. Sorry for speaking out of ignorance before. As you said, if you create a mixed Spotify+local playlist in Spotify and open it in SBS all the local tracks that Spotify doesn't have disappear from the playlist. On the other hand, it seems that there's no such problem if you create mixed Spotify+local playlists _within_ SBS.