PDA

View Full Version : Live music handling / filtering out a genre

MrBungle
2011-06-30, 07:35
Hi,

I have regular (studio) albums and live recordings in my collection. I decided to tag all the live recordings with the artist, album (contains the data/venue etc), year and a genre called 'Live'.

There are times when I want to listen to a mix of both studio albums and live recordings for the same artist in the same session. This is easy - I just search for the artist and everything comes up.

What I'm interested in is being able to listen to studio albums OR live recordings i.e. one and not that other.

It's possible to use the advanced search to specify the artist and the 'Live' genre. This takes care of when I just want to listen to live recordings for an artist.

The place where I need help is how to listen to an artist's studio albums only and exclude the live recordings. An obvious way would be if it was possible to specify the genre as NOT 'Live' but it does not seem possible to do this. It seems it is only possible to specify what the genre is, rather than specify what the genre is not. Trying to specify the genre is not an option either, as there may be multiple genres for the studio albums (and I would have to find out the genre(s) for the artist which is a hassle).

I've thought of a possible solution - would it be possible to specify a second genre tag of say 'Studio'? Then I could search on the artist and genre 'Studio' and none of the 'Live' ones would come up. However it would mean I would have to do a lot of tagging. Would I still be able to search on the real genre tag e.g. Rock if I have a Studio one as well?

Any suggestions welcome.

JJZolx
2011-06-30, 12:42
In Settings > My Music there's an option labeled "Filter genres at the album & track level." I believe it's enabled by default. This will filter by genre when you browse an artist by going through a genre.

So you would browse genres, then select a genre other than 'Live', then select your artist. You should see only album containing tracks labeled with the other genre. If you tag more than one genre on those live albums (such as Live;Rock) then it won't work.

If that doesn't work for you, there's erland's CustomBrowse plugin.

MrBungle
2011-07-01, 18:12
Thanks for your reply.

Mine is set to 'only show tracks or albums matching the selected genre for an artist'.

The suggested approach relies on knowledge of the genre, which I'm trying to avoid. Also, I'm not sure it can work if the artist has multiple genres (as I think I could only pick one).

I'll look at the plugin.

JJZolx
2011-07-01, 18:29
Thanks for your reply.

Mine is set to 'only show tracks or albums matching the selected genre for an artist'.

Right. That means filtering is enabled. It should be easy to see the effects of this if you have albums tagged with different genres.

The suggested approach relies on knowledge of the genre, which I'm trying to avoid.

I don't see why that would be a problem. If you don't want 'Live' albums and tracks, don't browse the 'Live' genre.

Also, I'm not sure it can work if the artist has multiple genres (as I think I could only pick one).

That's correct. It would be including only one genre, not excluding some particular one.

MrBungle
2011-07-01, 21:39
I don't see why that would be a problem. If you don't want 'Live' albums and tracks, don't browse the 'Live' genre.

Because there are times I want to listen to any genres except live. For example, if I want to listen to a random mix of Buckethead albums which aren't live - I know I've used different genres for his albums, but I don't necessarily know them off the top of my head.

I guess it can be regarded as a semi-solution but it's not exactly what I was after. I think what would be perfect is to have a 'Include Live' check box next to the search window. If it is checked, include Live results in the search. Otherwise, do not include.