PDA

View Full Version : Help IP Address Problems

franklyfred
2011-06-28, 10:00
Heres the problem have a touch hooked up ethernet and a radio hooked up wireless. Worked fine till recently. Now when ever I plug the radio in my internet keeps going off and I get a message about two computers with the same IP Address. With the radio unplugged everthing works fine. No computer whiz here do I need to change the IP Address on one of the Squeezeboxes. If so How do you that? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

garym
2011-06-28, 10:52
Heres the problem have a touch hooked up ethernet and a radio hooked up wireless. Worked fine till recently. Now when ever I plug the radio in my internet keeps going off and I get a message about two computers with the same IP Address. With the radio unplugged everthing works fine. No computer whiz here do I need to change the IP Address on one of the Squeezeboxes. If so How do you that? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Did you set a fixed IP address on either of these to begin with. If not, I'd do the following. Remove power to both players. Then turn OFF router (remove power). Then turn on router, let fully boot/start. Then turn on power to each SB player, one at a time. I suspect that somehow your DHCP router is trying to give the same IP address to both players. This shouldn't happen normally with a typical DHCP server in a router.

franklyfred
2011-06-28, 23:01
Thanks for reply. Ok tried that and everything worked great till I plugged the radio in after plugging the touch in, and the internet stopped again. Unplugged the radio rebooted the router and everthing works right with the radio unplugged. Is their a setting or something I am missing. never set any IP Addresses. Help network gurus

toby10
2011-06-29, 03:39
If you never messed with custom IP address' with any of your networked devices, this means your router is incorrectly assigning duplicate IP's.
This may require resetting your router back to factory settings then setting it all up again to hopefully get it's DHCP sorted out.

Atlantic
2011-06-29, 03:42
Almost there, then. The radio - for some reason - is still using the same IP as something else. So, here's what to do. Basically, repeat but this time plug the radio in first, so that it gets its IP and the router won't give that IP to something else. (Hopefully, unless there is a fixed IP somewhere, but we can come to that later.)

Follow these steps.

Turn everything off, including your laptop or any other computers you have. Count to 100.

Turn on the router. Count to 100.

Turn on the radio - plug it into ethernet or use wireless - whichever you are using. Count to 50. Ignore any sqwaks or complaints from the radio, for now.

Turn on the laptop. Let it start up, wait till it settles then see if internet is working.

If internet isn't working at this stage, stop, and post back, because we'll have to do more digging with the laptop etc.

If internet does work, then switch on the other SQ devices, one by one, counting to 50 in between.

Post back and let us know what happened.

We'll get there, just hang in.

regards, Atlantic

garym
2011-06-29, 05:01
If you never messed with custom IP address' with any of your networked devices, this means your router is incorrectly assigning duplicate IP's.
This may require resetting your router back to factory settings then setting it all up again to hopefully get it's DHCP sorted out.

Was the radio (or other SB player) purchased new? If used, the prior owner could have setup a static IP address. If so, you should do a factory reset on the players.

franklyfred
2011-06-29, 08:56
Atlantic, well done that fixed the problems. Thanks again

franklyfred
2011-06-29, 23:00
Atlantic problem not solved yet. Everything seemed good. Turned everything off went to work squeezeboxes plugged in but off laptop off router on. Can home touch only had three items on the screen "settings and two others when turned on" forgot the other two. Unplugged the touch and plugged back in all menu items came up on the screen. Internet worked perfect. Turned on Radio tried to get some music and internet radio to work, streamed for a few seconds and that was it.Radio really balky. Went thru the whole reboot setup again everything works fine except the radio balky doesn't want to play anything.Any more ideas? Fred

franklyfred
2011-06-29, 23:12
Also radio shows correct time but can`t connect to mysqueezebox.com or pc via my music.

Atlantic
2011-06-30, 03:35
Everything seemed good. Turned everything off went to work squeezeboxes plugged in but off laptop off router on. Can home touch only had three items on the screen "settings and two others when turned on" forgot the other two. Unplugged the touch and plugged back in all menu items came up on the screen. Internet worked perfect. Turned on Radio tried to get some music and internet radio to work, streamed for a few seconds and that was it.Radio really balky. Went thru the whole reboot setup again everything works fine except the radio balky doesn't want to play anything.Any more ideas? Fred

Hmmm. Sorry to hear, f-fred, that things are still not right. What you describe could be more than a problem of double IPs; it may be that there is still some other problem - which may, perhaps, even have led to the double IP symptom in the first place. Fred, I'm not a squeezebox expert, I'm just reasonably comfortable with networking aspects; I only have receivers, but I do use them on wireless. We're going to need some more help from others, especially people better informed on Touch and on Radio.

Since you repeated the start up sequence, I think we can make an assumption that the underlying IPs are ok - nothing has complained about duplicates. Problems lie elsewhere. I think there might be wifi problems, and I think another poster's suggestion of resetting the Radio might be needed. In general, I prefer not to do that because any 'personal' settings you have entered will be lost. But, if there aren't any personal settings, or you don't mind losing them, then restting the Radio might be a good move.

If you hadn't said anything about the Touch, I would have immediately suspected the possibility of interference on WiFi. There may still be interference, affecting the Radio (and I want to ask about that in a moment), but that doesn't explain why the Touch indicated some strange - to you - status, but I can't deduce anything from that because I don't know what it should be showing in these states when your laptop is off, and just restarted, etc. Could someone else comment on what the Touch might be doing?

Fred, could you recap exactly what your setup is, so that we can understand the service delivery? I think you have:

Router, with ethernet and wifi
Do you have any switches or hubs in the network, with other devices connected to them?
Laptop, with ethernet(?), and running SBS server(?)
Do you have any other computers or devices connected to the router?
Touch, connected to the router via ethernet
Radio, connected via wifi
How far is the Radio from the router?
What are any intervening walls, floors, constructed with?
What does the SBS system say that the received signal strength on the Radio is?

What are the working states that you have, for example:
Can the laptop reach internet ok?
Can it do so when Touch is switched on?
Can it do so when Touch and Radio are switched on?
When only laptop and Touch are on, can Touch play from my music?
When only laptop and Touch are on, can Touch play from mysqueezebox.com?

Now, thinking about the possible wifi interference that might lie behind the Radio problems, what you describe is consistent with a new, recent, source of interference, such as a neighbour wifi signal, or even a new domestic equipment, creating some interference.
Have you installed a new microwave, for example, or anything, somewhere near the Radio?
Thinking about the wireless activity in the area, is the router or Radio within, say, 50 metres of any other premises (above, below, sideways, whatever)? If not, then wifi interference is unlikely, and the problem will lie elsewhere.
Does the laptop have wifi? Is it active and connected to anything, for example, to your router, or to another external wifi network (by accident, perhaps)?
If your laptop is (normally) connected with ethernet, make sure that the wifi system on the laptop is switched OFF, and redo the setup, and see if the problems go away.
Are you using Bluetooth on the laptop?
How many cell phones are there near the radio, that have bluetooth active?
Does the problem go away if the cell phones are switched off?

Fred, sorry not to be able to conjure an instant solution, but some extra circumstantial info will help us solve it. I'm sorry it seems such a lot of questions, but there are a number of possible causes of which we'll be able to rule some out.

And I do hope that folks knowledgeable about the Touch and Radio systems can chime in, here.

regards, Atlantic

garym
2011-06-30, 05:18
Atlantic has some excellent suggestions regarding detecting your problem, including the specific type of info that would help diagnose.

With regard to the potential IP conflict issue, try installing this program and when all your items are connected to the internet you can see exactly what IP address each one has:
http://www.softperfect.com/products/networkscanner/

Also install something that can see all the WIFI networks nearby so you can use channels that are not used. Something like netstumbler or vistumbler (just google)

franklyfred
2011-07-01, 23:12
Got it working! Reset the router . Once I fiqured out the WEP and WPA stuff. Working better than ever. Thanks all