PDA

View Full Version : 4 out of 5 devices stopped connecting

roll - gybe
2011-06-27, 10:19
I have 3 SBCs, and a SBR and a Boom

Only ONE will work (one of the Classics).

I had been sucessfully using homeplugs or hardwire ethernet for the last 3 years, and in the last few months, all of these have crapped out on me. When I set up, I get a message "ethernet connection not detected." I have tried plugging them into the router (which works with other devices) directly, and I still get "ethernet connection not detected."

I can get intermittent access via wifi if I connect to SBS instead of SB.com. I don't want to have to connect to SBS. When I connect to SB.com the screens go black and I can only move the screen if I unplug/replug.

The working Classic gets daily use, it has a linear power supply. The Boom got daily use. The others got occasional use. Now the system has gone to crap. What can I do? I wouldn't think that all the power supplies crapped out at once.

Goodsounds
2011-06-27, 10:28
Do the non-working classics still not work if plugged in using the power supply of the one that works?

Could you have had a power surge that fried these devices?

Could the problem be the router? Do other network-connected things work fine?

roll - gybe
2011-06-27, 10:35
Other ethernet devices work.

I have read a little about the power supplies dying off, but I have a 6 month old Boom, that's exhibiting really flaky behavior. I will try my adjustable power supplies tonight, but considering I can get them to run SBS over wifi some of the time, I think I have already run the control and variable.

garym
2011-06-27, 11:38
Do the non-working classics still not work if plugged in using the power supply of the one that works?

Could you have had a power surge that fried these devices?

Could the problem be the router? Do other network-connected things work fine?

even though other devices working, have you tried removing power to all SB devices, then turn OFF your router. let router reboot, let computer running SbS reboot and SbS fully start (if you're using SbS). Then plug in all your SB devices. May have all lost IP addresses handed out by your DHCP in router....If so, this will solve.

Soulkeeper
2011-06-27, 12:29
but considering I can get them to run SBS over wifi some of the time, I think I have already run the control and variable.

Don't put all your money on that. PSU faults are generally notorious for creating weirdness. So I don't think you can be 100% sure until you've tried the SBs with a PSU that is known to work.

(BTW, SBC = Squeezebox Controller. SB Classic = SB3.)

roll - gybe
2011-06-27, 15:31
It's not the network. I am posting this from the ethernet connection that "does not appear to be conected" !!

I will try the power supply. Squeezecenter works, but SB.com goes dark and I have to restart...

roll - gybe
2011-06-27, 15:43
Did not work using my Elpac power supply (which works for sure)

garym
2011-06-27, 16:41
It's not the network. I am posting this from the ethernet connection that "does not appear to be conected" !!

I will try the power supply. Squeezecenter works, but SB.com goes dark and I have to restart...

did you try my suggestion in post #4. You may very well be right and the network is just fine, but just because the ethernet cable plugged into your laptop gets an internet connection doesn't mean the SB players are receiving IP addresses from the DHCP in your router. Two different things. Anyhow, easy enough to pull the power, reboot router, then reapply power to the SB players to test this possibility. This has solved many of the exact problem you describe for other users.

roll - gybe
2011-07-06, 13:13
I pulled the power out of everything, plugged it back in and no improvement.