PDA

View Full Version : Baby Monitor impacting wireless network?

socistep
2011-06-20, 06:18
Hi All

Has anyone got any tips for reducing the impact of a video baby monitor on wireless networks? (ethernet isn't an option unfortunately). The monitor is operating on the same frequency of 2.4ghz.

Realised on friday when I was sat in the conservatory listening to headphone through Touch/amp and using my laptop how much the monitor was impacting causing rebuffering/cut-outs on the Touch and a much bigger impact onto the laptop.

I did some speed tests with and without the monitor on via laptop and was getting about 9-10mbps with it off and <2mbps with it on and causing router drops etc.

Impact isn't really consistent as it seems to be less impact when monitor is in living room and within a couple of metres of the router however we like to listen to a lot of music in the evening and would like to reduce impact.

Any tips appreciated!

thanks
Ian

Soulkeeper
2011-06-20, 06:24
HomePlugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HomePlug)?

johnas
2011-06-20, 06:28
Three options I can think off
Get monitor that runs on a different spectrum. Move the baby monitor to a different wireless network on a different channel. Or buy a wireless IP camera.

Soulkeeper
2011-06-20, 06:39
It is also possible to get a baby monitor that utilizes your 802.11 network instead of waging war against it, but this seems to be a niche product and may be difficult to find.

However, there are plenty of 802.11 webcams (e.g. security cam) with built-in microphones on the market. I believe this will give you similar functionality that is 802.11 friendly.

With a little bit of tweaking/hacking, you might even be able to play the audio stream through your Squeezebox.

aubuti
2011-06-20, 06:42
One more option that doesn't cost anything: try changing the channel your wifi router is using. If you can find out which channel the baby monitor is on, pick a channel for your router that is at least 5 channels away. For example, if the monitor is on channel 3, choose channel 8 or above. If you can't find out the monitor's channel, experiment with channels 1, 6, and 11 on the router.

If that doesn't work, homeplugs are probably the way to go.

socistep
2011-06-20, 07:34
Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

I actually tried changing the router channel, it was previously on 11 so moved to 13, will check again to see whether the problem gets any better.

In terms of homeplugs then I've used before and didn't have a great record with them plus may struggle with plugs in downstairs rooms, don't really want to get 4 plug jack etc.

That leaves another baby monitor which is wifi friendly or a security cam type option, if the problem causes a lot of inconvienience then I may look further into these

Thanks
Ian

maggior
2011-06-20, 08:03
You might want to make a more radical change in channel. If it was on 11, moving it to channel 13 may not make a huge difference. Moving it to channel 1 though would be quite significant.

socistep
2011-06-20, 08:24
You might want to make a more radical change in channel. If it was on 11, moving it to channel 13 may not make a huge difference. Moving it to channel 1 though would be quite significant.

very good point! thanks

Jaicee
2011-06-20, 14:10
Use 5GHz wireless, the "a" band?

Soulkeeper
2011-06-20, 14:28
Squeezeboxes don't support 5 GHz, only 2.4 GHz 802.11g (which 2.4 GHz 802.11n is backwards compatible with).

Gerry123
2011-06-21, 16:21
Hi All

Thanks for the replies.

I actually tried changing the router channel, it was previously on 11 so moved to 13, will check again to see whether the problem gets any better.

In terms of homeplugs then I've used before and didn't have a great record with them plus may struggle with plugs in downstairs rooms, don't really want to get 4 plug jack etc.

That leaves another baby monitor which is wifi friendly or a security cam type option, if the problem causes a lot of inconvienience then I may look further into these

Thanks
Ian

Get the type that plug-through, have a mains plug on the back and a socket on the front, a bit more expensive but worth it to avoid the rats' nest. No need for a 4 gang then.

Just a thought.

chris.mason
2011-06-27, 03:18
Get the type that plug-through, have a mains plug on the back and a socket on the front, a bit more expensive but worth it to avoid the rats' nest. No need for a 4 gang then.

Just a thought.

I do this, and it works very well. One plug upstairs connected through a switch to the router, and another downstairs, feeding the TV (has internet on it).

socistep
2011-07-10, 09:05
Hi all

Slightly off my original topic but still wireless related. Just returned from holiday and switched power back on, noticed problems with wireless for smartphones and also my SB boom which is probably furthest away from router, rebuffering and losing connection to server.

I wondered whether a Nintendo Wii which also connects wirelessly might impact, sure enough once I disconnected then wireless strength improved, no devices having connection issues and SB server working well.

As per the original topic then this might improve performance when the monitor is on, perhaps the Wii was flooding the router or something....

Ian

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk