PDA

View Full Version : Not showing date and time when switched off

Maciej
2011-06-18, 07:17
Hi All,

I was looking for the answer through this forum and could not find the solution, so perhaps someone will be able to answer or attach a link to solve the problem.
My SB Classic does not show date and time when switched off. Iíve checked all the settings, adjusted brightness (according to some it should help) unplugged and plugged back SB and still when my laptop is switched off or even put on stand by the time and date disappears. Can anyone help please?

Appreciate the help

Maciej

sebp
2011-06-18, 07:26
The SB Classic is unable to display date and time when its server is down (or asleep), it just has itself no idea what time it is.

Try connecting it to mysqueezebox.com before shutting the server down.

toby10
2011-06-18, 08:46
SB3 has no internal clock or time/date mechanism. No server = no time/date displayed.

Maciej
2011-06-18, 09:38
SB3 has no internal clock or time/date mechanism. No server = no time/date displayed.

Hi,

Hmmm, that is very strange because it was showing the time and date for good couple of months no problem and developed this problem only recently I swear! One day just disappeared and I could not get it back. I did not change anything with the server as well or in the settings in SB, just gone?

toby10
2011-06-19, 01:31
Hi,

Hmmm, that is very strange because it was showing the time and date for good couple of months no problem and developed this problem only recently I swear! One day just disappeared and I could not get it back. I did not change anything with the server as well or in the settings in SB, just gone?

It would be strange indeed if that was true. The developers, computer engineers and physics scientists from around the globe would be very interested in your SB3 if true.
It would be on par with your lawn mower suddenly telling time. ;)

Your SB3 must have been connected to a server, likely MySB.com if you were turning off your computer.
Absent a server your SB3 is dumber than a $5 alarm clock. ;)

I believe there is (or was) an SBS plugin that would automatically switch your player to MySB.com when SBS was stopped. Maybe you had that plugin before?
To get back to SBS from MySB.com was a manual switch.

Other players like Boom, Radio, Touch have their own date/time mechanism built in and therefore don't require a server for such functions.

Maciej
2011-06-19, 06:30
It would be strange indeed if that was true. The developers, computer engineers and physics scientists from around the globe would be very interested in your SB3 if true.
It would be on par with your lawn mower suddenly telling time. ;)

Your SB3 must have been connected to a server, likely MySB.com if you were turning off your computer.
Absent a server your SB3 is dumber than a $5 alarm clock. ;)

I believe there is (or was) an SBS plugin that would automatically switch your player to MySB.com when SBS was stopped. Maybe you had that plugin before?
To get back to SBS from MySB.com was a manual switch.

Other players like Boom, Radio, Touch have their own date/time mechanism built in and therefore don't require a server for such functions.
I agree with your top comments, I am little bit lost when dealing with modern gadgets, like my vinyl player.
I did not realise that SB classic has not got internal independent clock.
Now in order to show time when the computer is off I had to choose mysqeezbox.com thatís right.
When I choose my Music Library and turn the computer off the clock disappears. Previously that switch in-between my library and MySB.com had to be set up automatically. How can I do it if you can advise please? I hope I am clear here, as English is not my first language.
I checked all the plugins in advance settings/plugins/date and time screensaver and itís ticked as it was always before.
Thanks

scrosland
2011-09-13, 05:27
I came to this via search as since I have upgraded to "7.6.1 - r33110" (on Windows Home Server) my Squeezebox Classic no longer shows the "Screensaver when off" as defined in the settings.

I have "Screensaver when off" set to "Date and Time" and "Standby Font" set to "standard" and "Power Off Brightness" set to 2. This all used to work on 7.6.0 and earlier.

Any ideas? (I never turn off my server.)

Cheers,
Simon

jtgayton
2011-09-13, 12:34
I use SuperDateTime and I haven't been able to get it to show the time lately. Weather forecasts work great but the space where the time should be is just blank. Any ideas?

Thanks.

adhawkins
2011-09-13, 13:32
Hi,

In article <scrosland.5006cn1315916881 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
scrosland<scrosland.5006cn1315916881 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> I have "Screensaver when off" set to "Date and Time" and "Standby Font"
> set to "standard" and "Power Off Brightness" set to 2. This all used to
> work on 7.6.0 and earlier.

On the times I've seen this, it's because the brightness has been dropped to
zero. I know you've checked, but try using the brightness button on a remote
to change the brightness when the player is off.

Andy

mherger
2011-09-13, 21:15
>> I have "Screensaver when off" set to "Date and Time" and "Standby Font"
>> set to "standard" and "Power Off Brightness" set to 2. This all used to
>> work on 7.6.0 and earlier.

7.6.x seems to have introduced an issue where sometimes the SB3 display isn't initialized correctly. I restart my servers several times every day, productive systems once every few days. And it only happened to me _once_. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to reproduce this.

A server restart should restore the display.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17497

--

Michael

pski
2011-09-15, 19:11
>> I have "Screensaver when off" set to "Date and Time" and "Standby Font"
>> set to "standard" and "Power Off Brightness" set to 2. This all used to
>> work on 7.6.0 and earlier.

7.6.x seems to have introduced an issue where sometimes the SB3 display isn't initialized correctly. I restart my servers several times every day, productive systems once every few days. And it only happened to me _once_. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to reproduce this.

A server restart should restore the display.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=17497

--

Michael

Not. Even after a shutdown -r now

SB3 turns off rather than screensave.

Version: 7.6.1 - r33149 @ Mon Aug 22 18:23:26 EDT 2011
Hostname: vortexbox.localdomain
Server IP Address: 192.168.0.94
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Red Hat - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.12.4 - i386-linux-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 5

atrocity
2011-09-18, 15:54
On the times I've seen this, it's because the brightness has been dropped to zero. I know you've checked, but try using the brightness button on a remote to change the brightness when the player is off.

Something else is definitely going on here. As of yesterday, I run 7.6.1 on two different Ubuntu servers (long boring story why I "need" two). Everything works as expected with one server, connecting to the other results in no time display when off no matter what I do.

pski
2011-09-18, 18:38
Something else is definitely going on here. As of yesterday, I run 7.6.1 on two different Ubuntu servers (long boring story why I "need" two). Everything works as expected with one server, connecting to the other results in no time display when off no matter what I do.

And why would it be turned-off? I never turn any squeeze off. This is my issue. I am using SuperDateTime so I'll try it with Softsqueeze. If the behavior is the same, it's definitely a server issue.

Then I'll set the player to date/time when off and disable all the SuperDateTime selections just to make sure.

P