PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 flac issues

bits
2011-06-18, 00:14
I recently tried to get my SB3 to play 5.1 flac files.

With the native flac decoder I get the error message:
"Ran out of decoder data memory"

With FLAC -> PCM the files play in stereo and playback is at wrong speed, it is "slow"(the files are also 48khz which might be the issue there not 100% sure)

1)Can the Squeezeboxes correctly decode 5.1 flac files and output 5.1 PCM on the spdif outputs?

2)Can the Squeezeboxes correctly decode 5.1 wav files and output 5.1 PCM on the spdif outputs?

Mnyb
2011-06-18, 00:31
No and no and no.

Nothing can it has nothing to do with SB3

Spdiff can not carry 5.1 pcm in any aplication its not in the standard it does not exist .

an adition to the standard is that spdiff can carry lossy bitstreams if 5.1 for home cinema but it is AC3 dolby digital or DTS , but that is not lossles discrete pcm channels .

there are solutions with 3 parallell spdiff wires each carrying 2 ch each .

However what you can do in a wav or flac file is to encapsulate a dts or dolby stream, it will sound as white noise on the analog out but a ht reciever will pick up the bitstream, do a forum search on the subject .

bits
2011-06-18, 01:27
yea been reading the spdif python script stuff. Just getting through the ac3/dts rips now, I had originally ripped the MLP sources.

I forgot you cant do 5.1 PCM over spdif, everything else is connected by HDMI these days :)

ajkidle
2011-06-18, 04:59
I've tackled this in the past, and I recall it not being as easy as I'd hoped. But frankly, as I think about I think it was my ripper that was the problem. DVDAudioExtractor ended up going the job very well, combined with the Python script.

There are threads on this topic elsewhere in the forum, but this may be of help too.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...DVD_Tracks#DTS

bits
2011-06-18, 19:14
yea got it working.

It seems silly you need to jam the ac3 and dts data into another container that wasn't intended to have that data.

Why cant the squeezeboxes just stream dts and ac3 straight through? :P

Mnyb
2011-06-19, 00:08
yea got it working.

It seems silly you need to jam the ac3 and dts data into another container that wasn't intended to have that data.

Why cant the squeezeboxes just stream dts and ac3 straight through? :P

is there a file format for dd or dts ? A squeezebox does not have a dd or dts decoder so naturally how could it handle this ? Not at all you have to trick it :P
people using the analog out or 2 ch dac's would only enjouy white noise with these files, so I'm not surprised that the devs don't spend any time making the sbs system regognise dd or dts files.
You can not use the volume controll when playing an dd or dts stream that would break the encoding for your ht reciever, another reason for why this is not suported.

bits
2011-06-24, 19:40
Note to anyone else that stumbles in here.

Not only should you disable volume control also make sure to disable crossfade or you'll ended up with static junk at track changes :)