PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried both Android and iPeng? Which do you prefer, why?

Deaf Cat
2011-06-13, 13:03
Thinking of getting an ipod touch or a new android phone, not sure which, just after your thoughts on sound quality and a remote control app for my SB...

Was thinking of ipod touch, as I understand sound quality is pretty good, and have seen ipeng briefly on utube which seems to work nicely and quickly.

But, then again, getting a new android phone would mean easier comunication with everything else...

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Cheers
DC

JJZolx
2011-06-13, 13:16
The iPod Touch is just damned expensive for what it is.

Small Android tablets are becoming increasingly affordable. The Barnes & Noble Nook Color looks nice, and they're easy to find on Craigslist for under $200.

Goodsounds
2011-06-13, 14:07
Compare like to like, iphone to droid phone or itouch/ipad to droid tablet or various wifi-capable devices that aren't phones.

Droid and i-phones seem to me to be more similar than different in basic operations. The Apple platform has been around longer and has had a large customer base longer, so there are more apps. Droid devices are outselling iphones now and the universe of available apps is growing quickly. The Droid interface with gmail and other Google services has been smoother and more capable than the same with Apple devices, in case that matters to you.

I have experience with SB apps on both platforms and frankly they too seem more similar than different. I can't say I prefer either.

If you need a phone, either will be the Swiss Army knife you're looking for. If you don't need a phone but are looking for just a wifi remote capability, I don't think the choice matters other than price.

Deaf Cat
2011-06-13, 22:25
Thank you both for your comments :-)

pippin
2011-06-14, 09:40
I tend to disagree that price is the only aspect.
On Android, you have to take a careful look at the device you are aiming for, there are really good Android devices out there but also really, really bad ones.

chenrikson
2011-06-14, 17:31
I tend to disagree that price is the only aspect.
On Android, you have to take a careful look at the device you are aiming for, there are really good Android devices out there but also really, really bad ones.

Absolutely! I currently have a Droid X, but have also had a couple of iTouches, and I also have an iPad. iPeng (particularly on the iPad) beats them all hands down -- and the iTouch app is a close second.

Deaf Cat
2011-06-15, 14:35
Yes I did get somewhat confused with the amount of phones available, knowing that the ipod touch operates pretty well and the sound quality is pretty good even though the initial outlay was a bit more, it worked out roughly, with a new contract and new phone the same, with, to me an unknown phone...

Got the ipod touch, sorted flac player last night for the car holiday tomorrow and a line out plug for the the aux in in the car, and play with ipeng when I get back - liking the apple thing quite a bit so far I must say :-)

Many thanks for your comments!

jeebers
2011-06-16, 03:44
I've used iPeng on a 3G iPhone, and SqueezeCommander (SC) on a HTC Desire HD, both quite extensively.

There's not a huge amount between iPeng and SC IMO - iPeng probably shades it on 'slickness' (although this may be a comment on iOS vs Android really) but there's very little in it . The most recent release of SC made it a lot more iPeng-like, and was a big step forward.

Functionality-wise, iPeng has the advantage of having a player built-in, but SC has the download-to-phone feature, which I'd really miss if I didn't have it. I could never quite get my head round sync-ing on iPeng, but I find it easy on SC, but to be honest I think that was me just being a bit thick.

Speed-wise SC feels quicker, but that may not be the case on a newer iPhone.

So, all in all, I wouldn't let the remote control app be your deciding factor - both are very, very good and, if you haven't used one before, will come as something of a revelation. The main decision to make is iOS vs Android (not wanting to open a can of worms...)

pippin
2011-06-16, 03:59
I could never quite get my head round sync-ing on iPeng, but I find it easy on SC, but to be honest I think that was me just being a bit thick.

That's indeed interesting since it's actually pretty much exactly the same in both Apps now (since the latest SC update), both Apps now even use the same icons. And the method SC used before was the original method iPeng used until version 1.2 (and which got criticized a lot at the time but I believe you just can't do it right on syncing....)