PDA

View Full Version : Rhapsody in SqueezePlay or SqueezeServer?

ryantrem
2011-06-12, 20:41
I'm a newbie to media servers and am considering SqueezeServer/SqueezeBox, but would like to try before I buy. After slogging through a lot of information, it seems like I should be able to try things out by setting up a SqueezeServer and installing SqueezePlay on one of my computers to emulate a real SqueezeBox. I've set this all up, installed Rhapsody and the SqueezeServer Rhapsody plugin, and entered my login information, but I don't see any sign of my Rhapsody library anywhere in SqueezeBox or SqueezePlay. In either case (SqueezeServer or SqueezePaly), if I specifically go to Rhapsody under My Apps, I get a message that just says "This player does not support Rhapsody, A SqueezeBox 2 or higher is required." Is this setup supposed to work?

Thanks!
Ryan

aubuti
2011-06-12, 22:08
As the message indicates, Rhapsody support requires a hardware Squeezebox. The reason given by one of the SB developers is a restriction by Rhapsody because of the DRM they use. See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86639

The software players are a good way to try before you buy a Squeezebox, but the software players are not as fully featured as the hardware players, for a variety of technical and legal reasons. If Rhapsody is really critical to your decision, then you may want to buy an SB and if it doesn't work out for you, avail yourself of the 30-day return policy.

ryantrem
2011-06-13, 21:48
Thanks for the info. When browsing the Logitech site, the SqueezeBox models I see either all have their own speakers, or have a fancy interface. In my case, I'd like to primarily control the SqueezeBox unit from my computer or my smartphone. Are there any SqueezeBox models that have either no user interface or a very basic user interface and just hook up to a stereo?

Thanks!
Ryan

Mnyb
2011-06-13, 22:12
Thanks for the info. When browsing the Logitech site, the SqueezeBox models I see either all have their own speakers, or have a fancy interface. In my case, I'd like to primarily control the SqueezeBox unit from my computer or my smartphone. Are there any SqueezeBox models that have either no user interface or a very basic user interface and just hook up to a stereo?

Thanks!
Ryan

that actually describes the Touch it also comes with an ir remote, touch screen is handy when setting it up "fancy" it cost less than one thinks as it is a standard low end smart phone screen ( these have really come down in price since it is used on every phone)
The old SB3 aka Squeezebox Classic actually had a more expensive screen vfd's are expensive .

it has what you need rca analog spdiff digital and toslink and headphone out, ethernet and wifi support up to 24bit 96khz sample rate surprisingly good soundquality even on analog out, as a digital transport it is flawless in most cases.