PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox Radio, Synology NAS, iTunes

BeerFizz
2011-06-08, 12:18
I'm sure this has been asked many times before, but I'm really frustrated trying to get this to work.

I have my 'iTunes Library' file on a mac mini and I have all the of the mp3's residing on my Synology DS410j NAS.

I am running the SBS server on the Synology.

On my Squeezebox radio, I have Pandora configured and running works works just fine and stays in sync with the SBS on the Synology. I am also able to access the Internet Radio on the Squeezebox and it also stays in sync with the SBS. (just points of information).

However, I am unable to see or get at my iTunes library in any fashion. I have configured the 'iTunes app' on the SBS on the Synology and to no avail. I grabbed the xml file from the mac, changed all the pathing to point to the correct folder on the Synology and pointed the iTunes app to that... still nothing?

Any blow by blow information on how to do this??

thanks
Phil

toby10
2011-06-09, 02:13
Make certain the iTunes files are not DRM protected and that the files have the correct permission settings on the NAS.

BeerFizz
2011-06-09, 05:59
Hi Toby,

Thank you for the response.

I checked the properties for the folder 'music' down, and everything is set to read/write/execute for all.

None of the music is DRM protected.

Anything else I can check? All help appreciated.

When I modified the pathing in the xml file, I basically did a global change, so the result was as follows:

The original location:

<key>Location</key><string>file://localhost/Users/phild/Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Media/Music/Creedence%20Clearwater%20Revival/Cosmo's%20Factory/05%20Lookin'%20Out%20My%20Back%20Door.mp3</string>

was changed to:

<key>Location</key><string>file:/volume1/music/iTunes/Music/Creedence%20Clearwater%20Revival/Cosmo's%20Factory/05%20Lookin'%20Out%20My%20Back%20Door.mp3</string>

for each entry.

I created a folder on the NAS and put this modified xml there and then pointed the SBS iTunes at it.

see pix below:

Danny8
2011-06-09, 10:30
Hi beer, can you give more information about what is not working?

At first reading, I think your post is about not being able to play files on your Squeezebox radio. You can play radio streams on your SB but you cannot play music files whatsoever. Music files reside on your NAS. Your SB Server is located on the NAS device as well. Does that sound like your scenario?

Afterward, I thought maybe you can't access iTunes from a Mac or iPod device. I'm probably mistaken on that.

If it's the first scenario, what kind of indexing action do you see when you reindex?

Do you have music files all on the Mac or are some of them on the NAS as well?

What clues does the SB Server log file offer up?

Firewall settings on your Mac?

- - -

(added later)

Why is the location of the music libary folder blank?

If you want your Squeezebox server to serve music files, it needs to know the location of your files.

Danny8
2011-06-09, 10:35
I am unfamiliar with all details about iTunes and iPods, so forgive my ignorance. (I want to get an iPod touch one fine day.)

I doesn't seem you should be manually editing any XML file, doing a global search and replace as you suggested. Or manually editing any of text file for that matter.

I am not experienced in this, so I'm talking out-of-school.

BeerFizz
2011-06-09, 12:07
Hi Danny,

I think we are both in the same position in that we are not sure how this thing is supposed to work.

>>Why is the location of the music libary folder blank?
>>If you want your Squeezebox server to serve music files, it needs to know the location of your files.

See the pic below which shows the field hint where it says that if using iTunes, the field should be left blank.

BeerFizz
2011-06-09, 12:17
Hi beer, can you give more information about what is not working?

[list] At first reading, I think your post is about not being able to play files on your Squeezebox radio. You can play radio streams on your SB but you cannot play music files whatsoever. Music files reside on your NAS. Your SB Server is located on the NAS device as well. Does that sound like your scenario?

Right, I am able to play radio streams just fine.

I am unable to access my collection of iTune music files via the Squeezebox.

Do you have music files all on the Mac or are some of them on the NAS as well?

What clues does the SB Server log file offer up?

Firewall settings on your Mac?

All my music files are on the NAS. However, the iTunes Music Library.xml and the iTunes Library file (the encoded database) reside on my mac mini.

I am able to play my iTunes music files just fine with other apple devices, however, they are being served (I suspect) from the mac mini. Ie the music database is being served from the mac mini, which in turn is pulling/streaming music files off the NAS.

So, the reason I duplicated the xml, modified the file pathing and placed it on the NAS, was so that I could point the SBS iTunes applet at the xml, which would then point to the correct music files on the NAS.

Phil

aubuti
2011-06-09, 12:25
Taking it back to fundamentals: Why do you want to use iTunes 'integration' on SBS? Do you have iTunes playlists (smart, Genius, or otherwise) that you want to use on the SBs? If not, I can't think of any benefits you gain from going through the iTunes integration hoops instead of simply pointing SBS to the correct folder on your NAS.

Danny8
2011-06-09, 12:43
Hi, I see now that you've shown me the tip.

Hopefully, someone with iTune importation experience can chime in to help out.

It seems Squeezebox Server must perform some kind of database building. But maybe not. I'll take a look at the wiki and see if that sheds any light.

I suspect you wish to use a single set of library files and access it from either Squeezebox or iPod (or similar) as your need fits. Does that describe your scenario? If so, it seems reasonable. It's the way I'd want to do it -- it's your music and you shouldn't be forced to favor one device over the other.

That being said, I don't know if that's how SB Server is intended. Apple doesn't necessarily make concessions to people that wish to build a 'hybrid' music delivery system. Surely other people are doing this hybrid-type thing.

I'm tempted to suggest that you index your files the 'normal' way in addition to providing the iTunes setup. Just to see what it does.

BeerFizz
2011-06-09, 13:17
Taking it back to fundamentals: Why do you want to use iTunes 'integration' on SBS? Do you have iTunes playlists (smart, Genius, or otherwise) that you want to use on the SBs? If not, I can't think of any benefits you gain from going through the iTunes integration hoops instead of simply pointing SBS to the correct folder on your NAS.

Hi, I see now that you've shown me the tip.

Hopefully, someone with iTune importation experience can chime in to help out.

It seems Squeezebox Server must perform some kind of database building. But maybe not. I'll take a look at the wiki and see if that sheds any light.

I suspect you wish to use a single set of library files and access it from either Squeezebox or iPod (or similar) as your need fits. Does that describe your scenario? If so, it seems reasonable. It's the way I'd want to do it -- it's your music and you shouldn't be forced to favor one device over the other.

That being said, I don't know if that's how SB Server is intended. Apple doesn't necessarily make concessions to people that wish to build a 'hybrid' music delivery system. Surely other people are doing this hybrid-type thing.

I'm tempted to suggest that you index your files the 'normal' way in addition to providing the iTunes setup. Just to see what it does.

No, I just have some regular playlists. So, there is no real reason to have iTunes integration and I can certainly create new playlists.

I have turned off the iTunes applet and I've pointed SBS to the iTunes/music location and its indexing right now. Scanning has completed and I can access artists, albums, genre etc, the artwork is present and it all seems to function.

Thank you.

I am not an Apple fan... its just another tool, however, it would have been nice to use the same tool across all my platforms.

Thanks for you help aubuti and Danny.
Best
Phil

Danny8
2011-06-09, 13:41
You're welcome. I try not to chime in when I can be of no help. This was one of those borderline situations. I mostly wanted to see if I could learn anything about iTunes as I am sincerely insterested in iOS and the rest of the Apple eco-system.

You pointed out that tooltip which shed light for me.

I installed the iTunes plugin. (Took me a bit of futzing with my own durn installation..) I'd like to point out that, according to the iTunes tooltip, the purpose of the iTunes plugin is to:

Squeezebox Server can use your iTunes music library and playlists. Any changes that you make in iTunes will be reflected on your player. Check the box below if you want to import your iTunes Music Library information. == tooltip under "Use iTunes"

To me, this tip merely says that SB Server updates your iTunes knowledgebase with your SB playing habits. Or vise-versa? It says nothing about where the music is stored. If anything it implies your music is stored in the iTunes machine (not what you're doing). The tooltip you mentioned seems to be totally incorrect.

I can certainly see the potential for confusion. Hell, it's all over the place.

Danny8
2011-06-09, 13:53
Now I wonder where you are running iTunes application. I assumed it was the Mac. I believe some NASes can also run iTunes.

But I don't think most NASes have the muscle or RAM to run both SB Server and iTunes together without bogging down.

When you have the time and patience, I recommend look into this further. You were able to get either 'thing' running one-at-a-time. The next step is to get both of them working in harmony at the same time.

--

I sounds like you got a sweet set-up, though. I always admired those Synology NASes but ending up building my own atom-based server. It's been a long road for me, having to learn a bunch of Linux commands and concepts.

aubuti
2011-06-09, 14:53
I am not an Apple fan... its just another tool, however, it would have been nice to use the same tool across all my platforms.
Glad to see you got it working okay. You're not the first person to get twisted in knots before realizing that 'iTunes integration' adds some complexity with little or no payoff in terms of added benefits. Both iTunes and SBS can access the same library just fine without knowing anything about the other's existence.

I suppose you could have gone with iTunes plus Airport to get distributed playing using the same tool, but I think you'll like the SB system. If you want to keep iTunes for playback on your pc or for sync'ing with iPods you still can.

BeerFizz
2011-06-09, 15:08
Again, guys, thanks for the great responses...

I have another issue... perhaps two :)

First, m4a's. I guess SBS will not natively stream these and I read something about requiring 'lame'? Is there a link to a definitive guide on how to set this up (if needed at all). Half of more of my tunes are in m4a format.

Second. I tried using a tool such as 'http://www.oddgravity.de/'s 'play list creator', which does a nice job of creating a m3u list. However, when I copy the m3u over to the folder I pointed SBS to for the playlist, SBS does not appear to recognize the externally created file??? I am able to create a simple playlist using SBS itself, so it does see playlists and will play them. Is there a way to externally create a m3u and have SBS recognize it?

Thanks again
Phil

aubuti
2011-06-09, 15:22
1) For the m4a files you don't need lame, because that's for MP3. I think for m4a you need faad. Getting that installed on a Synology is outside my experience, but search over on the 3rd Party Hardware section of this forum, as that's where most NAS-specific questions are handled. There are a lot of SB + Synology users, so I'm sure someone has dealt with it.

2) m3u files should be fine. Did you do a rescan of playlists after copying the external file(s) over? You have to do that for SBS to put the playlist in its database and make it accessible to you.

BeerFizz
2011-06-09, 15:45
1) For the m4a files you don't need lame, because that's for MP3. I think for m4a you need faad. Getting that installed on a Synology is outside my experience, but search over on the 3rd Party Hardware section of this forum, as that's where most NAS-specific questions are handled. There are a lot of SB + Synology users, so I'm sure someone has dealt with it.

2) m3u files should be fine. Did you do a rescan of playlists after copying the external file(s) over? You have to do that for SBS to put the playlist in its database and make it accessible to you.

Duh... rescanning worked just fine. Thank you.

I'll go and bother some of the others in the Hardware section :)