Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cschwartz
    • Sep 2007

Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive

I just purchased one of these Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drives, Cloud Edition.

Can someone please advise how to set the drive up, so that it will work with my Squeezeboxes?....assuming it is possible, of course.

I'm a bit confused how to do so.

Thanks!
    Chris
  • aubuti
    • Oct 2005

How do you want it to work? For example, you could try to install Squeezebox Server on it, so that you could it as your server instead of your pc. Or, you could just keep your music library on the NAS, run SBS on a pc, and have the pc access the library on the NAS.

The latter example is easier to accomplish than the former. Depending on the specific network drive, you may or may not be able to install SBS on it.
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
    Bedroom: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• cschwartz
      • Sep 2007

The latter is my preference. I can access the drive through via the software that came with the drive...How do I run SBS on my mac, and get it to access the NAS?

Thanks!

Comment

• JJZolx
        • Apr 2005

Is there a good reason for keeping the music on the NAS instead of just putting it on the Mac, either using an internal or external drive? IMO, it just complicates playing music on a Squeezebox by putting an extra network connection and an additional hardware device into the mix. It will also be slower to scan the music library, as it will need to be done across the network.

Comment

• cschwartz
          • Sep 2007

The original thought was to be able to access my music when the computer is off, or asleep. Also, the Iomega Cloud Edition NAS, allows me to access my media from anywhere, as long as I have an internet connection.

The fact that it is more complicated, and slower, is a major deterrent though.

Comment

• JJZolx
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cschwartz
            The original thought was to be able to access my music when the computer is off, or asleep.
            You could access it from a computer, but without Squeezebox Server you wouldn't be able to play the music through a Squeezebox.

Comment

Working...