PDA

View Full Version : Easy Mute for Squeezebox Server, or a Synchronization Group

ja2038
2011-05-29, 19:01
I use Squeezebox Server on Windows, and listen to it with a Squeezebox Boom and one or more Squeezeplay players.

There are semi-frequent occasions when I just want to mute everything.

And I want a mute, not a pause.

I listen to Internet radio a lot, and I notice that pause does seem to pause and buffer, and what I want is mute, because, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER CLICKET OR TICKET advertisement.

I usually control the whole setup from a web browser, and it seems my choices are:

1) Pause/buffer/resume -- not what I want
2) Stop/.../Restart -- which is not the greatest because the restart is sometimes problematical, it doesn't always restart, and it is slow as well, as it has to refill its buffers.

What I would like is a mute, keep on streaming just quickly set volume to zero, and an unmute.

And.... it would be great if it were available from the system tray.

So ... is there a mute function?

What is the easiest way to access it?

When I press pause on my server, or on my SB remote, what actually occurs? Is it buffering? How much time needs to elapse between it trying to buffer, and it skipping the buffering and muting or stopping the stream?

aubuti
2011-05-29, 21:56
If you're controlling it from the SBS web interface then it seems to me that the quickest way would be to use the volume control on the SBS screen (the one with 11 volume bars, on the upper right part of the screen). Clicking on the far left one will get you to either 0 or 1 (out of 11). Your normal volume should be in the 8-11 range (ie, set SBS volume high and "fine tune" the output volume via your pre-amp), so even if the left bar is 1 that will give you plenty of mute.

Note that if this is to work for all your sync'd players then you will have to set SBS to sync the (SBS) volume on all the players in your sync group.

ja2038
2011-05-29, 23:14
Yes, that's what I do.

Yes, I am so lazy, have so many tabs, hate these ads so much, that I find that slow and inefficient.

Tonight I installed Moose, by Dr. Lovegrove, which sits in the system tray and allows a click to pause. I think that's much easier to use but pause is a pause -- I want a mute button.

(Actually I want a button that reaches through the net and tasers the producers of a commercial once a certain number of listeners frob it.)

toby10
2011-05-30, 01:45
.... I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANOTHER CLICKET OR TICKET advertisement......

That's just crazy talk. How can you expect the human species to survive without the government telling us to wear seat belts?

Back OT, another alternative is to try some commercial free stations. I find using the ShoutCast App is the best source for finding these.

aubuti
2011-05-30, 12:58
Yes, I am so lazy, have so many tabs, hate these ads so much, that I find that slow and inefficient.

Tonight I installed Moose, by Dr. Lovegrove, which sits in the system tray and allows a click to pause. I think that's much easier to use but pause is a pause -- I want a mute button.
At present there is no mute button, except for the SB Radio, which mutes the Radio's output if you press the volume button.

If you search the forums you will see that there has been a fair bit of discussion about mute commands over the years. There does seem to be some possibility of using the Boom's (or SB2/SB3/Classic/Transporters/Touch's) infrared remote to map to a muting function in SBS. See the following threads for some pointers. The last one has the most details, but some of the info may be out of date as it discusses slimserver 6.x code from 6 years ago.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80988
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=60813
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=14921&page=2

However, my guess is that if you can't be bothered to click a couple mouse buttons to avoid ads that you "hate so much", you probably can't be bothered to customize SBS's ir map file. But if the commercials get annoying enough, rolling your own ir map file may be the way to go. Those links should help you get started.

EDIT: alternatively, instead of muting, why not just change to another station for however long you estimate the ads run?

pippin
2011-05-30, 15:47
Hm. There IS a mute functionality in the server (setting the volume to negative numbers) and I believe you can use it on the controller by holding a volume button or something like that.

iPeng also supports it (and can mute a whole sync group at once, too), but I do actually find the feature to be unreliable, sometimes the muted volume then gets lost and set to 0 instead.

aubuti
2011-05-30, 22:18
At one time it was possible to mute via the Controller by holding both the VolDown and VolUp buttons simultaneously, but as I recall there were (sometimes?) problems taking it out of mute. Maybe it was exhibiting the same problem you describe with iPeng, ie, losing the negative mute value and changing it to 0.