PDA

View Full Version : Newb: How do I synchronize internet radio in two parts of the house?

Amidala
2011-05-29, 07:31
I just installed a SqueezeBox Touch and it now plays internet radio in our kitchen, hooked up to powered speakers. I also want to be able to listen to the same radio on our home entertainment system, which has a laptop computer installed on it. This laptop also has our music collection and the SqueezeBox server.

Here is what I have tried:

1. Install SoftSqueeze on the laptop and synchronize both players via server. Result: SqueezeBox Touch stops periodically to buffer. Players are not in sync.

2. Just play the internet radio station directly on the laptop. Results: Players are not in sync.

What's the best way of doing this? This is my first experience with SqueezeBox and I'm a bit disappointed.

toby10
2011-05-29, 07:38
A wired laptop may help the buffering issue.
Software players cannot accurately Sync with other players, there will almost always be "drift" in the Sync.
Two hardware players will have very tight and accurate Sync using SBS server.

Amidala
2011-05-29, 07:43
Two hardware players will have very tight and accurate Sync using SBS server.

So if I buy a second Logitech Squeezebox Touch and hook it up to the home entertainment system and just use the laptop as a server, they should sync well?

I may move the server to one of our hardwired desktops, regardless. There is a long term plan to bring ethernet out to the laptop, but it requires some tricky wiring, of which half is done.

Soulkeeper
2011-05-29, 08:22
So if I buy a second Logitech Squeezebox Touch and hook it up to the home entertainment system and just use the laptop as a server, they should sync well?
Yes.

I may move the server to one of our hardwired desktops, regardless.
Sounds like a good plan.

There is a long term plan to bring ethernet out to the laptop, but it requires some tricky wiring, of which half is done.
When wiring is tricky, it often helps to supplement with HomePlug adapters.

yeomanspc
2011-05-30, 15:44
A word of caution.. if you are looking to synch internet radio over multiple players you will almost certainly get some drift over time, especially if the players are not identical. This is because there is no break (like when you move from one track to another if playing local music). SC re-synchs players at the start of each track normally but cannot do this for radio feeds.

Or maybe there is a setting I have missed? I'd be pleased to be corrected (might address the synch problem I have with internet radio even though I upgraded all my main players to be latest gen to try to fix it).

Mark Miksis
2011-05-30, 16:40
If you are running SBS, synced players will used proxied streaming. For me, this can maintain perfect sync for many hours of internet radio. I'm not sure how reliable it is if you use mySB.

garym
2011-05-30, 17:51
if you are running sbs, synced players will used proxied streaming. For me, this can maintain perfect sync for many hours of internet radio. I'm not sure how reliable it is if you use mysb.

+1

toby10
2011-05-31, 01:35
Sync with SBS = single station stream shared with multiple players, very accurate
Sync with MySB = no shared stream, each player gets it's own stream, not accurate

Amidala
2011-05-31, 06:41
Sync with SBS = single station stream shared with multiple players, very accurate
Sync with MySB = no shared stream, each player gets it's own stream, not accurate

Does it matter at all what I get for the second player? The Touch is very nice, but I'm intrigued by the remote on the Duet.

garym
2011-05-31, 06:45
Does it matter at all what I get for the second player? The Touch is very nice, but I'm intrigued by the remote on the Duet.

The duet will work just as well. But do some homework first (search these forums on CONTROLLER iPENG. The remote on the duet (and I have two of these) is not nearly as nice to use as either:

1. iPeng on iphone or itouch
2. ipeng on ipad
3. squeezepad on ipad

There are some android control apps as well.

If it were me I'd pick up the TOUCH and if you're trying to save money, a used iTOUCH or iPhone. Then you can have a great controller AND do other things (portable music player, surf the web, etc.). And even if just used for a controller, a used iTOUCH with iPeng is cheaper than a CONTROLLER.

toby10
2011-05-31, 09:02
The other precaution with a Duet (or any older SB player other than Touch & Radio) is the native formats they can play.
More and stations are (unfortunately) converting their streams to AAC and older players cannot play these types of streams.

This is only an issue if you plan on connecting your players directly to MySB.com, not running SBS server..
If using SBS server then SBS will transcode AAC to MP3 so all players can play the stream.

garym
2011-05-31, 09:08
The other precaution with a Duet (or any older SB player other than Touch & Radio) is the native formats they can play.
More and stations are (unfortunately) converting their streams to AAC and older players cannot play these types of streams.

This is only an issue if you plan on connecting your players directly to MySB.com, not running SBS server..
If using SBS server then SBS will transcode AAC to MP3 so all players can play the stream.

and although I didn't have any issues with my DUET (which I no longer use, replaced with a TOUCH), from these forums I'd say the duet receiver has the most problems in setup (you have no screen, just some lights). Plus, the duet receiver seems to struggle more with maintaining a good WIFI connection than the other SB players. Just a thought.

copperstate
2011-05-31, 09:13
Also, all Squeezebox products except the Radio and the Touch seem to be discontinued (at least they no longer show up on the EU Logitech Webpage). Hopefully they will still be supported in the future, but who knows?

sherington
2011-05-31, 18:27
Also, all Squeezebox products except the Radio and the Touch seem to be discontinued (at least they no longer show up on the EU Logitech Webpage). Hopefully they will still be supported in the future, but who knows?

They still have the Duet, the Transporter and the Controller as well on this page: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems ... but the Transporter is heavily discounted. Is this the slow death of that product??

w3wilkes
2011-05-31, 19:22
My personal experience with the Duet receivers has been rock solid on Wifi. I have one receiver that runs signal strength between 70 - 85% and the further away one runs between 35 - 60% (it's downstairs from my router with walls and galvanized heat ducts in between). The lower signal strength receiver gets used substantially more than the other one and I'd expect that if there was going to be a connection problem it would be with this receiver and as I said, it's ROCK SOLID.

Also as has been discussed in this thread on sync between players... Even with the conversion of IP radio streams to AAC it is of little consequence when you consider that the reliable way to sync is to go through SBS rather than MySB so that players will run from a common stream instead of individual streams from MySB. SBS will convert the stream to be compatible with your players if required.

garym
2011-06-01, 04:15
They still have the Duet, the Transporter and the Controller as well on this page: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/wireless-music-systems ... but the Transporter is heavily discounted. Is this the slow death of that product??

A $200 discount is not that much on this level product I'd say. But The Transporter is not dying a slow death, it has been dead on arrival since released. Other than releasing the SE version (which is the transporter without the knob), all transporters have been identical since released by slim devices. They did change the brand name, but the innards are identical since the first version.

This said, I really like my transporter and use it in my main music setup (and the lack of the knob wouldn't bother me on the SE as I haven't used the knob more than once or twice in the two years I've owned the transporter). If you're in the market for a networked music player AND a very good DAC as well, the transporter can make a lot of sense.