PDA

View Full Version : SlimScrobbler 0.269 available



Stewart Loving-Gibbard
2004-09-26, 09:48
SlimScrobbler has been updated & fixed.

http://slimscrobbler.sourceforge.net/

SlimScrobbler is a SlimServer plug-in to submit listening data to
AudioScrobbler, an online music listening habits tracking database.

http://www.audioscrobbler.com

V0.269
======

- Updated to work with SlimServer 5.3.0. (It may not work completely
for older versions, but it is likely to work decently, so don't
be afraid to try it.)

- I've fixed several bugs with the pause/power/play buttons.

NOTE: The fundamental problem is I am doing play tracking
in the wrong place -- most of my code is devoted to figuring
out if the SlimServer is playing or not via incomplete
information at times, rumors at others. As a result, my code
is very brittle and easily confused by minor internals tweaks
to the SlimServer mainline code base.

The answer is to put generic play-tracking code into SlimServer.

V0.26
=====

- Ian Parkinson has fixed the BADAUTH problem. He explains:

"Under some circumstances, SlimScrobbler was unable to submit songs
after a failure of the Audioscrobbler server, and required a restart
of the slimserver. This is fixed; it should now resume submitting
songs after the Audioscrobbler server returns."

- SlimScrobbler will now submit each song individually, by default.

- Eric Gauthier, Dean Blacketter both pointed out I need to
fix the handling of commands that have no $client structure
associated with them. This was causing crashes, apparently.

== Stewart

kdf
2004-09-26, 13:06
Thanks for the update. It seems to work much better this time.

Any particular reason you've decided to have it spit out messages regardless of
debug settings or state of the DEBUG variable in the plugin?

-kdf

Quoting Stewart Loving-Gibbard <sloving-gibbard (AT) uswest (DOT) net>:

>
> SlimScrobbler has been updated & fixed.
>
> http://slimscrobbler.sourceforge.net/
>
> SlimScrobbler is a SlimServer plug-in to submit listening data to
> AudioScrobbler, an online music listening habits tracking database.
>
> http://www.audioscrobbler.com
>
> V0.269
> ======
>
> - Updated to work with SlimServer 5.3.0. (It may not work completely
> for older versions, but it is likely to work decently, so don't
> be afraid to try it.)
>
> - I've fixed several bugs with the pause/power/play buttons.
>
> NOTE: The fundamental problem is I am doing play tracking
> in the wrong place -- most of my code is devoted to figuring
> out if the SlimServer is playing or not via incomplete
> information at times, rumors at others. As a result, my code
> is very brittle and easily confused by minor internals tweaks
> to the SlimServer mainline code base.
>
> The answer is to put generic play-tracking code into SlimServer.
>
> V0.26
> =====
>
> - Ian Parkinson has fixed the BADAUTH problem. He explains:
>
> "Under some circumstances, SlimScrobbler was unable to submit songs
> after a failure of the Audioscrobbler server, and required a restart
> of the slimserver. This is fixed; it should now resume submitting
> songs after the Audioscrobbler server returns."
>
> - SlimScrobbler will now submit each song individually, by default.
>
> - Eric Gauthier, Dean Blacketter both pointed out I need to
> fix the handling of commands that have no $client structure
> associated with them. This was causing crashes, apparently.
>
> == Stewart
>
>

Stewart Loving-Gibbard
2004-09-26, 13:24
kdf wrote:

> Thanks for the update. It seems to work much better this time.

Good.

> Any particular reason you've decided to have it spit out messages regardless of
> debug settings or state of the DEBUG variable in the plugin?

Uh.. Probably that's a mistake. I'll look into it shortly.

- Stewart

Stewart Loving-Gibbard
2004-09-26, 13:38
Stewart Loving-Gibbard wrote:

>> Any particular reason you've decided to have it spit out messages
>> regardless of
>> debug settings or state of the DEBUG variable in the plugin?
>
>
> Uh.. Probably that's a mistake. I'll look into it shortly.

Fixed in V0.27, available on site (http://slimscrobbler.sourceforge.net)

- Stewart

peter viczena
2004-09-26, 14:33
i know that i am not the first to ask this question, but does there exist a
program which takes my iTunes database, looks up the cover art (amazon?) and
puts the file into the right folders? without my intervention (batch). and
without perl, java and other junk i dont want to learn and install just for
one single application?

something like a small standalone utility for XP?

peter

dp
2004-09-26, 15:13
peter viczena wrote:

>
> i know that i am not the first to ask this question, but does there
> exist a program which takes my iTunes database, looks up the cover art
> (amazon?) and puts the file into the right folders? without my
> intervention (batch). and without perl, java and other junk i dont
> want to learn and install just for one single application?
>
> something like a small standalone utility for XP?
>
You might try http://ipodsoft.com/iArt.aspx I did have an earlier
releasae running some time ago and it worked for me before I decided
that (for me) cover art was a bit pointless and stopped doing it.
dp

Jon Danforth
2004-09-26, 15:42
www.art4itunes.com worked pretty well for me.

-Jon

peter viczena wrote:

>
> i know that i am not the first to ask this question, but does there
> exist a program which takes my iTunes database, looks up the cover art
> (amazon?) and puts the file into the right folders? without my
> intervention (batch). and without perl, java and other junk i dont
> want to learn and install just for one single application?
>
> something like a small standalone utility for XP?
>
> peter
>
>

Pat Farrell
2004-09-26, 21:41
At 05:33 PM 9/26/2004, peter viczena wrote:
>looks up the cover art (amazon?) and puts the file into the right folders?
>without my intervention (batch). and without perl, java and other junk i
>dont want to learn and install just for one single application?

Not what Peter was looking for, but I have put up a new
beta version of my Java MusicUtils programs.
Amazon changed their XML interface, and my old code
stopped working.

It looks at the tags in MP3, ogg and flac files, so it won't help
Peter with his iTunes. But if you tried my code and it broke
recently, you may want to try again. Free, open source, etc.

URL is
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimsoftware.html

Thanks
Pat

Oscar Marsh
2004-09-27, 09:52
SlimScrobbler doesn't appear in the Plugins menu or report any debug
information to the log, even with d_cli and d_plugins enabled. I've
never got this plugin to work. I'm using Mac OS X. The Information
settings say it's "DISABLED - NO VERSION NUMBER".

On 26 Sep 2004, at 9:38 pm, Stewart Loving-Gibbard wrote:

> Stewart Loving-Gibbard wrote:
>
>>> Any particular reason you've decided to have it spit out messages
>>> regardless of
>>> debug settings or state of the DEBUG variable in the plugin?
>> Uh.. Probably that's a mistake. I'll look into it shortly.
>
> Fixed in V0.27, available on site
> (http://slimscrobbler.sourceforge.net)
>
> - Stewart
>
>

kdf
2004-09-27, 10:07
Since it does requier a great deal of outside modules (Supposedly included in
SlimScrobbleSupport folder) you will want to try running from the command-line
with the --d_plugins option. This will report any errors when trying to load
the plugin. To see the plugin loading log info, d_plugins must be enabled on
startup.

-kdf

Quoting Oscar Marsh <oscarmarsh (AT) fusemail (DOT) com>:

> SlimScrobbler doesn't appear in the Plugins menu or report any debug
> information to the log, even with d_cli and d_plugins enabled. I've
> never got this plugin to work. I'm using Mac OS X. The Information
> settings say it's "DISABLED - NO VERSION NUMBER".
>
> On 26 Sep 2004, at 9:38 pm, Stewart Loving-Gibbard wrote:
>
> > Stewart Loving-Gibbard wrote:
> >
> >>> Any particular reason you've decided to have it spit out messages
> >>> regardless of
> >>> debug settings or state of the DEBUG variable in the plugin?
> >> Uh.. Probably that's a mistake. I'll look into it shortly.
> >
> > Fixed in V0.27, available on site
> > (http://slimscrobbler.sourceforge.net)
> >
> > - Stewart
> >
> >

Oscar Marsh
2004-09-27, 10:26
On 27 Sep 2004, at 6:07 pm, kdf wrote:

> Since it does requier a great deal of outside modules (Supposedly
> included in
> SlimScrobbleSupport folder) you will want to try running from the
> command-line
> with the --d_plugins option. This will report any errors when trying
> to load
> the plugin. To see the plugin loading log info, d_plugins must be
> enabled on
> startup.
>

Spot on, as ever, Kevin. :^)

Looks like we're not looking in ~/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/ for
support files--only the Plugins dir in the SlimServer package, so I
moved SlimScrobblerSupport there.

The plugin is working now. Thank you.

Oscar Marsh
--
jabber: ojmarsh (AT) amessage (DOT) at

kdf
2004-09-27, 10:40
Quoting Oscar Marsh <oscarmarsh (AT) fusemail (DOT) com>:

> On 27 Sep 2004, at 6:07 pm, kdf wrote:
>
> > Since it does requier a great deal of outside modules (Supposedly
> > included in
> > SlimScrobbleSupport folder) you will want to try running from the
> > command-line
> > with the --d_plugins option. This will report any errors when trying
> > to load
> > the plugin. To see the plugin loading log info, d_plugins must be
> > enabled on
> > startup.
> >
>
> Spot on, as ever, Kevin. :^)
>
> Looks like we're not looking in ~/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/ for
> support files--only the Plugins dir in the SlimServer package, so I
> moved SlimScrobblerSupport there.
>
> The plugin is working now. Thank you.

Glad its working, but I'm a bit confused by this. It should be looking in
~/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/.

For OSX, valid plugin locations are:
~/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
and /Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/

Both of these are added to @INC, which is where the server looks for support
modules. What did the errors say exactly?
-kdf

David Brittain
2004-09-27, 11:30
I have just tried the latest version and am getting the following error
message. Any idea what might be wrong?

Thanks

Dave

[david@qui david]$ /usr/lib/jre-1.4.2_04/bin/java -classpath
pfarrell-latest.jar com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil test
Possible keyword is test
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Bad level "NONE"
at java.util.logging.Level.parse(Level.java:319)
at
com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.readPreferences (MusicUtil.java:142)
at
com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.showPreferences (MusicUtil.java:165)
at
com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.validateArgs(Mu sicUtil.java:348)
at com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.main(MusicUtil. java:386)
preference file is /home/david/musicutil.conf
AmazonAffiliateID=webservices-20
AmazonSubscriptionID=null
ProxyWanted= false
ProxyHost= localhost
ProxyPort= 80
DebugVerbosity= false
HttpWaitTime= 5000
FlacTestCommand= null
Log file spec= null
Log level= null
DebugProgressCounter=500
[david@qui david]$


Pat Farrell wrote:

> At 05:33 PM 9/26/2004, peter viczena wrote:
>
>> looks up the cover art (amazon?) and puts the file into the right
>> folders? without my intervention (batch). and without perl, java and
>> other junk i dont want to learn and install just for one single
>> application?
>
>
> Not what Peter was looking for, but I have put up a new
> beta version of my Java MusicUtils programs.
> Amazon changed their XML interface, and my old code
> stopped working.
>
> It looks at the tags in MP3, ogg and flac files, so it won't help
> Peter with his iTunes. But if you tried my code and it broke
> recently, you may want to try again. Free, open source, etc.
>
> URL is
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimsoftware.html
>
> Thanks
> Pat
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>

Oscar Marsh
2004-09-27, 12:32
On 27 Sep 2004, at 6:40 pm, kdf wrote:

> For OSX, valid plugin locations are:
> ~/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
> and /Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
>
> Both of these are added to @INC, which is where the server looks for
> support
> modules. What did the errors say exactly?

2004-09-27 20:32:11.8318 Requiring Plugins::Scrobbler plugin.
2004-09-27 20:32:11.9394 Can't require Plugins::Scrobbler for Plugins
menu: Can't locate Time/Stopwatch.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/Plugins/SlimScrobbleSupport /Library/SlimDevices/
/Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/Plugins /Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/CPAN
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/CPAN/arch/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/CPAN/arch/5.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
server/CPAN/arch/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1
/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.1
/Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
/Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Network/Library/Perl .) at
/Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/Scrobbler.pm line 35, <DATA>
line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/Scrobbler.pm line 35, <DATA>
line 1.
Compilation failed in require at (eval 40) line 3, <DATA> line 1.


Oscar Marsh
--
jabber: ojmarsh (AT) amessage (DOT) at

kdf
2004-09-27, 13:34
ah ok, I'm seeing it now. The plugin itself hadcodes the library to:
$Bin/Plugins/SlimScrobbleSupport, where $Bin is the location of the main
slimserver file (slimserver.pl or slim.exe).

Hopefully Stewart will mae a note of that for OSX users who are downloading the
plugin. The other OS's only have the one plugins location. OSX has two.

-kdf

Quoting Oscar Marsh <oscarmarsh (AT) fusemail (DOT) com>:

>
> On 27 Sep 2004, at 6:40 pm, kdf wrote:
>
> > For OSX, valid plugin locations are:
> > ~/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
> > and /Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
> >
> > Both of these are added to @INC, which is where the server looks for
> > support
> > modules. What did the errors say exactly?
>
> 2004-09-27 20:32:11.8318 Requiring Plugins::Scrobbler plugin.
> 2004-09-27 20:32:11.9394 Can't require Plugins::Scrobbler for Plugins
> menu: Can't locate Time/Stopwatch.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server/Plugins/SlimScrobbleSupport /Library/SlimDevices/
> /Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server/Plugins /Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
> /Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server/CPAN
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server/CPAN/arch/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server/CPAN/arch/5.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Users/oscarj/Library/PreferencePanes/SlimServer.prefPane/Contents/
> server/CPAN/arch/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1
> /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.1
> /Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level
> /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Network/Library/Perl .) at
> /Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/Scrobbler.pm line 35, <DATA>
> line 1.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /Users/oscarj/Library/SlimDevices/Plugins/Scrobbler.pm line 35, <DATA>
> line 1.
> Compilation failed in require at (eval 40) line 3, <DATA> line 1.
>
>
> Oscar Marsh
> --
> jabber: ojmarsh (AT) amessage (DOT) at
>
>

Pat Farrell
2004-09-27, 14:55
At 02:30 PM 9/27/2004, David Brittain wrote:
>I have just tried the latest version and am getting the following error
>message. Any idea what might be wrong?

Sure. The specific problem is that you didn't have a
loglevel=
line in your musicutil.conf file.
Which caused it to blow up.

The more fundamental problem is that I had a bug in the code that
assumed that you'd have that line.

I've fixed it and put up a fixed version. If you could try that....
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimsoftware.html

You may also want to email me directly with bugs, especially with the
latest changes, rather than using the mailing list.

Thanks
Pat

Slim
2004-09-28, 12:15
I get the following error using the latest download;

/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_05/bin/java com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil covers
/mnt/magnum/media/Audio/Music/Aerosmith/Aerosmith\ -\ Nine\ Lives/
Possible keyword is covers
28-Sep-2004 20:11:12 com.pfarrell.utils.io.LogSetup init
SEVERE: Constructor to LogSetup caught a
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.generate(Unknown Source)
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.openFiles(Unknown Source)
at java.util.logging.FileHandler.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.pfarrell.utils.io.LogSetup.init(LogSetup.java: 56)
at com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.main(MusicUtil. java:396)
Logging to file disabled
28-Sep-2004 20:11:12 com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil main
INFO: MusicUtil started with Command: covers
Start Path: /mnt/magnum/media/Audio/Music/Aerosmith/Aerosmith - Nine Lives/

28-Sep-2004 20:11:12 com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil selectProcessorType
INFO: MusicUtil processor will be com.pfarrell.utils.music.CoverFinder
version:3
V2revision:0
unsync:false
extended: false
experiment: false
footer: false
major: 3 rev: 0 flags 0 sz:1872
cs:10 ID: TPE1 sz:10
Aerosmith
cs:30 ID: TALB sz:11
Nine Lives
cs:51 ID: TIT2 sz:16
Hole In My Soul
cs:77 ID: TYER sz:5
1997
cs:92 ID: MCDI sz:420
talking to amazon about nine%20aerosmith%20lives
http://aws-beta.amazon.com/onca/xml?Service=AWSProductData&AssociateTag=webservices-20&SubscriptionId=137HJ4FCEM4TKM3DYVR2&Operation=ItemSearch&Keywords=nine%20aerosmith%20lives&SearchIndex=Music&Sort=salesrank&ResponseGroup=Request,Medium
java.lang.NullPointerException
at
com.pfarrell.utils.music.AmazonCovers.parseRespons e(AmazonCovers.java:166)
at
com.pfarrell.utils.music.AmazonCovers.obtainUrls(A mazonCovers.java:129)
at
com.pfarrell.utils.music.AmazonCovers.createFilesF romURLs(AmazonCovers.java:215)
at com.pfarrell.utils.music.CoverFinder.process(Cover Finder.java:155)
at com.pfarrell.utils.io.DirWalker.walk(DirWalker.jav a:67)
at com.pfarrell.utils.io.DirWalker.walk(DirWalker.jav a:94)
at com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.process(MusicUt il.java:108)
at com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.main(MusicUtil. java:400)
done
> At 02:30 PM 9/27/2004, David Brittain wrote:
>>I have just tried the latest version and am getting the following error
>>message. Any idea what might be wrong?
>
> Sure. The specific problem is that you didn't have a
> loglevel=
> line in your musicutil.conf file.
> Which caused it to blow up.
>
> The more fundamental problem is that I had a bug in the code that
> assumed that you'd have that line.
>
> I've fixed it and put up a fixed version. If you could try that....
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimsoftware.html
>
> You may also want to email me directly with bugs, especially with the
> latest changes, rather than using the mailing list.
>
> Thanks
> Pat
>
>

Pat Farrell
2004-09-28, 15:32
At 03:15 PM 9/28/2004, Slim wrote:
>I get the following error using the latest download;
>[snip]
> at com.pfarrell.utils.io.LogSetup.init(LogSetup.java: 56)
> at com.pfarrell.utils.music.MusicUtil.main(MusicUtil. java:396)
>Logging to file disabled

The first one is triggered by the lack of a "LogFileSpec" specification in
your musicutil.config file. I've fixed the code to no longer require that.
It will go up RSN.

The second problem is a more serious bug, which is the same or
at least related to the bug reported earlier by : "Bradley Feldman"

I am not properly parsing the returned XML data in some cases.
It worked for my trivial tests, but fails when Amazon sends lots
and lots of details. I'll need more time to fix this

Thanks
Pat