PDA

View Full Version : Importing/Creating Playlist

rock_rebel
2011-05-27, 17:58
I have about 2500 songs that I want to create a playlist for so I can see the complete list of songs through Squeeze Commander on my Android phone. How do I create this playlist so that my SB can find it? Thanks!

bluegaspode
2011-05-27, 19:10
What type of server do you have?
Typically SqueezeboxServer is not very good with handling such huge playlist in my experience.

Mnyb
2011-05-28, 00:19
You can create it with the web-UI for example in the rigth hand pane it has
a save playlist icon for saving the current playlist .

or with any program that can export m3u or pls playlist such as winamp rythmbox exaile and 100's of others .

This playlist is then placed in squeezeboxservers dedicated playlist folder.
Note that if the program creating the playlist and SBS have different paths to the files you may have to edit the file to correct the path (search and replace with wordpad for example).

You can also create playlist on the player itself it has a save option at the bottom of the current playlist.

Also go to sbs settings and increase the default 500 tracks limits for playlist to something higher 3000 for example .

In the basic settings you should have a playlist directory set otherwise sbs would not handle playlists as it has nowhere to save them or scan them.

You should also scan your playlists "lock for new and changed" or the playlist scan would pick up changes to the playlists.

There is also a playlistmanager plugin that lets you add to playlist that are not running at the moment .

SBS has no way of creating playlist "offline" you have to choose a player and start building the list against that player, it does not have to play it can be paused.
This is less of a problem if you have multiple players .
This is by far one of the strangest limitations SBS have ?

You should have an x86 based server for good playlist performance .

Good luck.

Btw if you are using the Touch standalone with an USB drive it is limited to 100 song playlist and can not run plugins.

I dont know wich server version bluegaspode is running atm but this has improved greatly, for a very long time almost a year the 7.5.x and 7.6 betas had a bug with unoptimized dB files after the scan sbs is suposed to run an optimize command against the dB ? This made database performance very sluggish especially with SqueezePlay based controllers and especially with playlists, I had a bug open for it it is now much better I can handle playlist of this size with my server now cpu spikes at the beginning of an album is much smaller etc (1,2gHz 1GB ram Linux) .

However loading the list on a third party app on a phone can be somewhat slow,If I for example play my whole 24bit track collection (as a genre) 1725 tracks it starts playing directly but it takes some time before SqueePad shows the correct list.

My Test playlist ;) with 2968 tracks show up in 15 seconds it does take almost 10s before playback starts . Shuffle did work a 4 second pause.

My server is a via C7 single core, faster servers my have an advantage.
I'm running the latest 7.6 beta .

Btw a simple test to see if you are running a server version with the unoptimised dB bug is to que up a large playlist now hit the shuffle button 3 times in a row, you wont get to Kansas or a Wonderland, but your server may show 100% for 25 minutes ;) .

I sincerely hope this fix was backported to the 7.5.x branch (otherwise the products is simply unfit for it's purpose).

I strongly suggest Erlands dynamic playlist plugin for this kind of duty it can for example randomplay from a large playlist, this leaves the actual playlist at 10-15 tracks but it is picking from for exampel very huge list you made for party puċposes or from a genre.

Yes SBS have turned a simple text file the playlist to a database operation ?
This works 10x faster with an SB3 or Boom btw for SqueezePlay it has to fetch cover art for every item in the playlist.

rock_rebel
2011-05-29, 18:40
Thanks for the great info!

The playlist is somewhat slow to load on my android device and every time I try to scroll through the songs it will jump back to the playing song in the list or somewhere close to it. This might be something going on with SqueezeCommander and not the playlist itself.

If I had a dedicated server how much RAM and processing speed would I need to handle large playlists? I currently have an idea to turn a small HP desktop PC into a Vortexbox server. The specs are a P4 2.8 single core CPU, 1.5GB RAM, 500GB SATA drive.

grusch
2011-06-14, 09:30
Also go to sbs settings and increase the default 500 tracks limits for playlist to something higher 3000 for example.

I can't seem to find where this setting is? Can you be more specific?

toby10
2011-06-14, 09:50
SBS > Settings > Advanced > Performance > Max Playlist Length

Peter314
2011-06-14, 12:25
Or set to zero for no limit.

grusch
2011-06-14, 14:55
Is that on the SBS control panel?

Mnyb
2011-06-15, 00:43
SBS > Settings > Advanced > Performance > Max Playlist Length

Is accessed thru the web-UI .

(It may also exist in the control panel but that's only in available in windows)

toby10
2011-06-15, 03:02
Yes, Control Panel will work, but it just takes you too the same portion of SBS server settings.
SBS > Control Panel > Advanced Settings > Advanced > Performance > Max Playlist Length

grusch
2011-06-15, 05:22
Found it! Thanks!

lievenonzea
2011-07-19, 08:47
I tried many times (now also with brandnew Sony Vaio laptop) to download my music collection (over 4000 titles !) via Squeezebox server but after about 700 tracks the download is interupted and the message appears "stopped unexpected" even when I turn off my Firewall. Can anybody help????

andynormancx
2011-07-19, 08:50
What are you actually trying to do ? What are "downloading" with ? "download my music collection (over 4000 titles !) via Squeezebox server" doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, you don't download anything with Squeezebox Server.

santi410
2011-07-31, 04:33
Hi there,

I've got a problem with any kind of imported playlist. My configuration: I'm running squeezebox server 7.5.3 on a synology DS107+. Latest released for a synology NAS. Formally I had a device running with UPnP that could read the M3U playlist format perfectly. I made them with Winamp. Since this device is down, I bought a Squeezebox radio, but it seems not to be able to read that format. Does anybody know what the difference is between the m3u format from Winamp/WMP and the squeezebox variant and how I can re-use these files. I also tried to a generate WPL file by WPM, but no luck so far. The squeezebox had scanned al files and also playlist, so i can select them, buth when I try to play them, squeezebox server indicates that there are empty.

Anybody?

Kind regards
Santi

Mnyb
2011-07-31, 13:03
Hi there,

I've got a problem with any kind of imported playlist. My configuration: I'm running squeezebox server 7.5.3 on a synology DS107+. Latest released for a synology NAS. Formally I had a device running with UPnP that could read the M3U playlist format perfectly. I made them with Winamp. Since this device is down, I bought a Squeezebox radio, but it seems not to be able to read that format. Does anybody know what the difference is between the m3u format from Winamp/WMP and the squeezebox variant and how I can re-use these files. I also tried to a generate WPL file by WPM, but no luck so far. The squeezebox had scanned al files and also playlist, so i can select them, buth when I try to play them, squeezebox server indicates that there are empty.

Anybody?

Kind regards
Santi

SBS reads m3u ,no problem, however it can only handle absolute file paths, so the file paths in the playlist must be as SBS sees the files. This can be fixed by search and replace with any text editor ( wordpad notepad etc) .
Easiest way to figure out the correct path is to create a small playlist with sbs itself and open in a text editor

santi410
2011-08-01, 12:17
@Mnyb

tnxs for your reaction, but no luck so far:

My playlist:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:360,Kidda - Strong Together
MP3\Top40\2011\02 nieuw slam\003. Kidda - Strong Together.mp3
#EXTINF:246,Tom Novy feat. Lima - Now Or Never
MP3\Top40\2011\02 nieuw slam\004. Tom Novy feat. Lima - Now Or Never.mp3

My edited playlist:

#EXTM3U
/volume1/music/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/02 nieuw slam/003. Kidda - Strong Together.MP3
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/02 nieuw slam/004. Tom Novy feat. Lima - Now Or Never.MP3

By SBS generated playlist:
#CURTRACK 0
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:214,Fuckin' Perfect
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/01 nieuw/23.Pink - Fuckin' Perfect.mp3
#EXTINF:225,Beautiful Distraction
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/01 nieuw/30.Ilse Delange - Beautiful Distraction.mp3
#EXTINF:220,Written In The Stars
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/01 nieuw/33.Eric Turner - Written In The Stars.mp3
#EXTINF:190,Take it Off
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/01 nieuw slam/37-Regi_and_Kaya_Jones-Take_It_Off.mp3

What is wrong. Still SBS says the list is empty. I also tried with/without "CURTRACK", whatever that means.

What is btw the easiest way to generate a playlist with moren than 100 songs. SBS is terrible slow.

kind regards
Santi

Mnyb
2011-08-01, 13:20
Weird, works for me :-/ I have edited playlist to fit my paths, however your Nas is a linux machine do also make sure that sbs has permissions to read the files, easiest way is to make them readable for everyone.

santi410
2011-08-13, 12:22
Thanks for the reactions, but after surving inet and trying I got the solution:

#EXTM3U
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/02 nieuw slam/003. Kidda - Strong Together.mp3
/volume1/music/MP3/Top40/2011/02 nieuw slam/004. Tom Novy feat. Lima - Now Or Never.mp3
#EXTINF:231,Enrique Iglesias Feat. Ludacris - Tonight (I'm Fuckin' You)

aubuti
2011-08-13, 13:19
Looks like a case sensitivity issue. Presumably the Synology is running some flavor of Linux, in which case MP3 is not the same as mp3.

Mnyb
2011-08-13, 14:35
Looks like a case sensitivity issue. Presumably the Synology is running some flavor of Linux, in which case MP3 is not the same as mp3.

O yeas my desktop is also Linux no case mash up for me, forgot all about that .

(This is also valid for cue files they must be in correct case too on linux )