PDA

View Full Version : Albums show up twice

will biddle
2011-05-26, 10:59
Albums are sometimes showing up twice in squeezebox. I have noticed that this can happen if some of the tracks in the album are in a saved playlist, but this isn't always the case. One of the albums can show the tracks in the playlist and the other album shows the tracks which aren't! Squeezebox seems to be reading the tracks as if they come from two different albums. Looking at an earlier thread, one cause could be that there are different file paths to the tracks, but opening the playlist file in notepad, the paths in the playlist appear to be exactly the same as the tracks not in the playlist (when I look at the track details in 'more info' in the player).
However, sometimes the 'splitting' of albums is seemingly random. The ID tags seem OK and consistent (apart from track name and number of course).
Any ideas? It's really frustrating as I can't ask squeezebox to play a whole album if any of the tracks within it are in a playlist!
Will

Adjunkten
2011-05-27, 14:36
Could be caused by having album files in multiple folders?
For instance, SB will list a two-disc album as two albums, unless all files are in one folder.

aubuti
2011-05-27, 23:36
For instance, SB will list a two-disc album as two albums, unless all files are in one folder.
Sorry, but that is not quite true. Even if the tracks from the two discs are in separate folders, SBS will happily list them as one album, in correct order, if:
a) the ALBUM tags are identical
b) the DISCNUMBER tags are set
c) you have selected the SBS setting to "treat multi-disc albums as one"

Back to the OP's problem, it is almost certainly a tagging problem. The most common is having subtle differences in the tags across tracks, such as a trailing space at the end of the album title on some tracks, but not all. Or small differences in punctuation. Another possibility is having multiple types of tags in some files, such as having both ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags, or ID3v2 and Ogg tags, or having anything except Vorbis comments as tags for FLAC files.

Use a good tagging program to thoroughly examine ("seems OK" isn't good enough until you get it resolved) the tags. I highly recommend mp3tag, which is freeware from www.mp3tag.de. Make the task manageable by first working with only one of the problem albums, rather than trying to resolve all the problems at once. After you've found the problem with one album, it's likely to be the same problem on other albums, although you may have a variety of different problems.

will biddle
2011-05-29, 01:44
Thanks for this info. I have already found some disc number discrepancies and will standardise these. Do you recommend I only use ID3v2 and can I remove ID3v1 easily (I've only got mp3 files - 17,000 of them though!)
Cheers,
Will

aubuti
2011-05-29, 04:11
If all your files are MP3, then delete all your ID3v1 tags, and keep only ID3v2. You can do it pretty easily with mp3tag, but it's not very intuitive for a lot of people. At least it wasn't for me. See the wiki article in the Beginner's Guide (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Mp3tagGuide).

Also, be sure to follow the usual rules for mass tagging operations, namely (1) be sure you have an up-to-date backup of your files, and (2) test the operations on a few files to make sure you are getting the results you want before you unleash mp3tag on the whole library. mp3tag is very powerful, meaning you can accomplish a lot -- both good and bad -- with just a few keystrokes and mouse clicks.

will biddle
2011-05-29, 04:57
Just done that and it has cleared up loads of split albums already - thanks for the tips. However, quite a large amount of files couldn't be written ('cannot be opened for writing' message in mp3tag). I have ensured all files are not read only and that no other program is using them. As a result, not all have been fixed. Any other idea or reason why they can't be written?

I've just discovered that the tracks that won't be written are the ones in the album where it shows they are disc 1/1. The tracks where this field is blank will let me edit them, so I change them all to 1/1 and now SBS shows it as one album!

aubuti
2011-05-29, 22:20
As to why they can't be written, could you describe your setup? For example, are you running SBS on a pc or a NAS, is the music library on the same computer/NAS or on a different drive, what OS are you using, etc. Normally I would expect 'cannot be opened for writing' to be either that the file was in use, or you didn't have sufficient permissions to write to that file.

Are these files you ripped yourself?

will biddle
2011-05-30, 01:22
I am running SBS on a Windows 7 PC. MP3's are from a variety of sources, but mostly ripped from CD by myself or downloaded legally. I have ensured all the files are not read only and I definitely have permission to write files. I also can't see any other program that might be using/reading the files (I stop the SB server running) so maybe it's an issue with mp3tag. That's unlikely as the same thing happens with 'tag and rename' - another tag editor I use. It's strange because only a sample won't write and they are within folders containing files I can write to! The files all reside on a Lacie external hard drive.
As I mentioned previously, I have sorted all the split albums now anyway by adding disc 1/1 to those albums which would't delete that particular tag, but it would be interesting to know why some of these files can't be written for future reference.

danull
2011-05-30, 12:23
Thing that got me was I had all my music in WMA format. Then I converted some albums to itunes for use on ipod and started seeing duplicate albums because had wma and mp3 of same thing. Had to choose option to not use itunes in sbserver and voila.... You may not have same issue but figured I'd mention it because it got me....

aubuti
2011-05-30, 13:13
I am running SBS on a Windows 7 PC. MP3's are from a variety of sources, but mostly ripped from CD by myself or downloaded legally. I have ensured all the files are not read only and I definitely have permission to write files. I also can't see any other program that might be using/reading the files (I stop the SB server running) so maybe it's an issue with mp3tag. That's unlikely as the same thing happens with 'tag and rename' - another tag editor I use. It's strange because only a sample won't write and they are within folders containing files I can write to! The files all reside on a Lacie external hard drive.
As I mentioned previously, I have sorted all the split albums now anyway by adding disc 1/1 to those albums which would't delete that particular tag, but it would be interesting to know why some of these files can't be written for future reference.
Generally it's considered better practice to leave disc number blank for single disc albums, rather than putting 1/1. I understand you're using 1/1 now as a workaround, but when you get this sorted out, you should fix all those unnecessary 1/1 as well.

If neither mp3tag nor 'tag and rename' let you write the files then there is something wrong with your files. Any chance they have the system attribute set? There's no reason why they should, but sometimes Windows does some strange things.

If I understand your reply correctly, you've said where you overall library comes from, but not if there is a common thread in the source(s) of the particular subset of your library that is a problem. Is there any commonality there, eg, downloaded from the same source or ripped with the same ripper?

will biddle
2011-05-30, 14:20
There is definitely no common thread to the files that are causing problems. Should I look at removing the system attribute from the directory in which all the files are saved? I have found instructions on how to do this on the Microsoft support website. I have all the files backed up on another external hard drive if anything goes wrong.

aubuti
2011-05-30, 14:27
If by "the directory in which all the files are saved" you mean the parent (top-level) directory for your files, no don't do that. That's because that applies to all the files in your library. Some of those files you are seeing fine, others are not okay. So it doesn't make sense to change something that isn't specific to the problem albums. Narrow your investigations to only the albums that are causing problems.

will biddle
2011-05-31, 01:54
All is well. I ensured the parent folder wasn't read only. This always seems to re-set itself, but I found that if I unchecked this box in folder properties and then immediately loaded the files into tag&rename, I could save all tags without getting the 'can't write' message. I found an advanced setting in tag&rename that deleted ID3v1 when I saved ID3v2, and I also ticked the 'disc #' box and left it empty.
The only remaining issue is that two albums (out of thousands, so I'm not that bothered) aren't picking up the album art. I have used tag&rename to save album art to all tracks in all albums and it's worked a treat apart from these two rogue albums!

Phil Leigh
2011-05-31, 12:16
All is well. I ensured the parent folder wasn't read only. This always seems to re-set itself, but I found that if I unchecked this box in folder properties and then immediately loaded the files into tag&rename, I could save all tags without getting the 'can't write' message. I found an advanced setting in tag&rename that deleted ID3v1 when I saved ID3v2, and I also ticked the 'disc #' box and left it empty.
The only remaining issue is that two albums (out of thousands, so I'm not that bothered) aren't picking up the album art. I have used tag&rename to save album art to all tracks in all albums and it's worked a treat apart from these two rogue albums!

check that the artwork file properties are not set to hidden/system...