PDA

View Full Version : Which mobile phones will work as a remote control and run spotify for my squeezboxes?

alaneglinton
2011-05-22, 04:01
Hi everyone,

I have been using a SB3 and Boom for years now but would like a more use friendly remote (especially versus the terrible boom remote).

I had toyed with the idea of a duet remote but as I am also in the market for a new mobile phone I wonder if I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone ?

Is there a list of mobile phones that can control a squeezbox slickly and display album art etc ??

The cheaper the phone the better circa 100-150 (no Iphones for me I'm afraid);-<
If it runs from an app then which apps work best ?
Additionally I use Spotify Unlimited (9.99 per month version) so I would need to run spotify from the phone as well.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

pippin
2011-05-22, 04:43
At your price range you will probably end up with a cheaper Android phone.
The free Logitech App might run really bad on that one, it needs a hgiher-powered version, but the native Apps should work fine. Personally I only use SqueezeCommander which isn't free but works very well and also supports a lot of phones (some of the other Apps are not available for my Xperia Mini due to it's uncommon form factor).

Soptify have a list of compatible phones on their web site.

T-bird
2011-05-22, 08:49
Hi everyone,

Additionally I use Spotify Unlimited (9.99 per month version) so I would need to run spotify from the phone as well.

Thanks for your help.

Alan

To run a full version of Spotify on any phone you gonna have a premium account
http://www.spotify.com/se/get-spotify/overview/
If you run it on an unlimited account you can only sync your own music for offline use (no streamining)
http://www.spotify.com/se/mobile/overview/

alaneglinton
2011-05-22, 10:39
So basically I need any smart phone that runs the android operating system - is that right ?

will check the spotify website for that phone list.

Is a smart mobile better than the dedicated duet remote ?

PS - I have the full Premium Spotify version, got my spotify titles wrong...