PDA

View Full Version : bitwise controls - URL Scheme for the iPad Logitech Squeezebox app

multimedia
2011-05-19, 05:13
Hello,
obviously it is possible to launch an app out of another app, if the URL scheme is known.

I would like to include the squeezebox app in the bitwise app. If there is an URL scheme this should be possible. Anyone knows about that?

Thanks!

mherger
2011-05-19, 05:25
> I would like to include the squeezebox app in the bitwise app. If there
> is an URL scheme this should be possible. Anyone knows about that?

We haven't registered an URL scheme. What level of control would you
expect to gain?

--

Michael

multimedia
2011-05-19, 06:11
Hi Michael,

thanks for your quick answer.
As I know, apps that have a published URL Scheme can be launched via other apps. The actual 1.4 release of the bitwise controls Project Editor allows you to add URL Schemes to GUI buttons, which would allow you to launch any app with a published scheme. Since Apple's "Remote" app has a published scheme, you could launch that app from a button in BitWise Touch. Once Apple publicly releases their multi-touch gesture support for iOS devices, this gets even better because you can launch the remote app, then four-finger swipe to the left to get back into BitWise Touch, without having to use the home button.
So if I may talk about my wishlist, I would like to launch the squeezebox app with my button in bitwise controls, let me control Squeeze, and then swipe right back into BitWise Touch app where I left off,(as it is possible with "remote" right now.)

Thanks for your support!
Christian

pippin
2011-05-19, 06:39
The four-finger swipe does already work in recent iOS releases.

multimedia
2011-05-19, 06:50

Has iPeng a published URL scheme?

pippin
2011-05-19, 07:25
Has iPeng a published URL scheme?

Working on it this very moment :)

andynormancx
2011-05-19, 08:09
Indeed, I had it turned on for a while. Turned it off in the end, found it far too easy to trigger it accidentally. Hope Apple have a bit of a rethink before releasing it on the masses.

Edit:

If I remember correctly the the option is only enabled when the device is registered as a developer's device

pippin
2011-05-19, 08:10
OK, here's a proposal for discussion (you can edit the Wiki with comments)
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/URLScheme

I would propose all Squeezebox Apps use the "squeezebox:" scheme on iPad since here the user is able to select the App that should be used.

bluegaspode
2011-05-19, 09:50
I wouldn't want to implement a URL scheme that tries to mimic CLI commands.
This would get us into a neverending story and to be honest: we create a lot of work on our side to support 1% of the userbase that even know that something like URLs on iOS exist.

Count me in if we build a common URL that just starts the App.
But not more.

pippin
2011-05-19, 10:14
Well, that's what the basic url scheme does... If you don't want to do all of the rest, leave it out, from my definition it's all optional. I've got some use cases I need the rest for.

If you don't want to use any parameters all you need to do is add two items to the manifest plist.

Zero lines of code.
BTW, the whole command handling is like three lines of code for me but hey, don't know about SqueezePad.

)p(
2011-05-19, 10:40
Well, that's what the basic url scheme does... If you don't want to do all of the rest, leave it out, from my definition it's all optional. I've got some use cases I need the rest for.

If you don't want to use any parameters all you need to do is add two items to the manifest plist.

Zero lines of code.
BTW, the whole command handling is like three lines of code for me but hey, don't know about SqueezePad.

I see that you mention spotify:// as an example. What would be really cool but I dont know if this is possible that when you click on spotify uri's in websites on the ipad it would open them in ipeng.

pippin
2011-05-19, 14:08
What I meant was to use

ipeng:spotify://....

But actually I DO consider to hijack Spotify links, too, on iPad :)

)p(
2011-05-19, 14:43
What I meant was to use

ipeng:spotify://....

But actually I DO consider to hijack Spotify links, too, on iPad :)

I would love that I copy paste them into ipeng all the time. Works alright but just clicking a link would feel so much more elegant :)

mherger
2011-05-19, 21:55
We're looking into basic support for this. As bluegaspode mentioned,
getting a CLI mapping might be quite challenging...

Michael

Am 19.05.2011, 18:41 Uhr, schrieb multimedia
<multimedia.4tzkdz1305810721 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Hi Michael,
>
> thanks for your quick answer.
> As I know, apps that have a published URL Scheme can be launched via
> other apps. The actual 1.4 release of the bitwise controls Project
> Editor allows you to add URL Schemes to GUI buttons, which would allow
> you to launch any app with a published scheme. Since Apple's "Remote"
> app has a published scheme, you could launch that app from a button in
> BitWise Touch. Once Apple publicly releases their multi-touch gesture
> support for iOS devices, this gets even better because you can launch
> the remote app, then four-finger swipe to the left to get back into
> BitWise Touch, without having to use the home button.
> So if I may talk about my wishlist, I would like to launch the
> squeezebox app with my button in bitwise controls, let me control
> Squeeze, and then swipe right back into BitWise Touch app where I left
> off,(as it is possible with "remote" right now.)
>
> Thanks for your support!
> Christian
>
>

--

Michael

bluegaspode
2011-05-19, 23:04

It's not about the lines of code. It's about the amount of discussions/further improvement requests from the 10 people that would use that and who wouldn't be satisfied even with your extended URL scheme after some time ;).
And if we then even had to coordinate all changes across Apps and had to agree what to support and what not (because we are so good on agreeing) ...

Not working in reality. So basic it will be for me.

fcm4711
2011-05-20, 05:17
Hi there

How can the user select the app if two (or more) apps implement the same URL scheme?

I assigned the same URL scheme to two test apps and it always only opened the one which was installed first on the iPhone.

What am I missing?

Thanks
Felix

pippin
2011-05-20, 06:02
You missed that this only works on iPad, this is why I wrote I would only do this in iPeng for iPad.

fcm4711
2011-05-20, 06:59
Hmm, I got that info from Michael already, and immediately tested it on the iPad - the result was the same. The first app that registered the URL scheme is the one that gets called.

Does it require the latest iPad iOS version to work. I currently only have iOS 4.3.1 installed on my iPad.

From here: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/iphone/conceptual/iphoneosprogrammingguide/StandardBehaviors/StandardBehaviors.html

"Note: If more than one third-party application registers to handle the same URL scheme, there is currently no process for determining which application will be given that scheme."

Thanks
Felix

pippin
2011-05-20, 08:01
Hm, you might be right, will have to do some testing.

But reading that documentation again it could be that the "user selects" scheme only applies to file types, not URLs.

vining
2012-12-27, 13:17
I wouldn't want to implement a URL scheme that tries to mimic CLI commands.
This would get us into a neverending story and to be honest: we create a lot of work on our side to support 1% of the userbase that even know that something like URLs on iOS exist.

Count me in if we build a common URL that just starts the App.
But not more.
I made this post elswhere but I would like to see Squeezepad have the ability to be called from another app (which it already can) but then pass a paremeter in the URL schema to select the server/player to connect to. For those of us deploying Vortexboxes config'd with 3 or more SoftSqueeze servers we need the ability to launch the Squeezepad app but have it open and connect the appropriate server automatically. What a client does from that point is their business but if I could get them on the correct Softsqueeze server that matches the source that the zone they're controlling is connected to I'd be happy, well I'm already happpy so I'd be happier. Either by MAC, literal string for the player name or even player index.

bluegaspode
2012-12-29, 15:05
I made this post elswhere but I would like to see Squeezepad have the ability to be called from another app (which it already can) but then pass a paremeter in the URL schema to select the server/player to connect to. For those of us deploying Vortexboxes config'd with 3 or more SoftSqueeze servers we need the ability to launch the Squeezepad app but have it open and connect the appropriate server automatically. What a client does from that point is their business but if I could get them on the correct Softsqueeze server that matches the source that the zone they're controlling is connected to I'd be happy, well I'm already happpy so I'd be happier. Either by MAC, literal string for the player name or even player index.

Right now I'm working on a different App, but I'm planning to backport some features of it to SqueezePad in February. I'll see how complicated your request is with my current code base - if it's not too complicated I guess I could allow one optional parameter for player MAC.

vining
2012-12-29, 17:32
Right now I'm working on a different App, but I'm planning to backport some features of it to SqueezePad in February. I'll see how complicated your request is with my current code base - if it's not too complicated I guess I could allow one optional parameter for player MAC.

That would be much appreciated.

pippin
2013-01-09, 18:12
iPeng 2.0.9 and iPeng for iPad 1.4.9 (actually iPeng UE 1.0.2, too) now support a separate URL parameter to select a player.
The player has to be connected to a server that is visible to iPeng (either auto discoverable or manually configured) or the parameter gets ignored.

The format is described here:
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/URLScheme

Please try it out, it's not really well tested.