mikep666
2011-05-18, 04:58
Synology ds211+ DSM 3.1-1613
SBS 7.5.3
Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
Firmware: 7.5.3-r9377
Player Model: Squeezebox Radio

Disks hibernate (20 mins in Synology Power settings)but imediately wakeup !
There are no other live systems connected to the network at this time.

Ethereal shows that ther is a regular data exchange (PSH,ACK) initated from SBS to both SB devices, which reply even though switched off.

I assume SB Off is just a standby and the box's are network active.

I have tried a modified (hacked by me) version of SrvpowerCtrl to switch devices to MSB.com but this unfortunately crashes MySql.

It has to be this network traffic that wakes the ds211 as pulling the cable out fix's the problem.

Any ieas how to stop this annoying data exchange ? it would appear that SBS needs somthing to check for idle servers and stop talking to them.

Mike

mikep666
2011-05-18, 07:04
Ok i have spent some time examining the SBS code, and performed a more controled Ethereal session.

The SDS code would appear to be event driven and should therefore only respond to incoming requests either from an SBS device or the webUI.
------------------------------------
Disconectiong The devices:

SBS is quiet until ARP goes stale and it starts an ARP Bcast loop (enough to keep the ds211 awake I suspect.

Disconect SBS

Devices do multiple req for resend, give up and fall into ARP loop
--------------------------------

On reconection:

ARP exchange happens
And the devices sent TCP to the SBS and do so for ever, once again this will keep the ds211 awake I susspect

---------------------------------
What I dont know is if the ds211 hibernates the disks when there are no writes and allows network acticity or wants an idle system before hibernation.

I will run the syno_hibernate_debug_tool overnight with only the SB devices attached and see what happens

-----------------------------------

Mike

pablolie
2011-05-21, 11:26
i own a DS209. the idea was to use it as the main SBS, but the overall responsiveness was a bit underwhelming. i shall test it with 7.5.3 to see if i also observe the same problem. there have been issues around power saving before with SBS running on Synology stuff.

sebp
2011-05-21, 12:36
It has to be this network traffic that wakes the ds211 as pulling the cable out fix's the problem.
Hint: Squeezebox Server loves logging events, and its log files are... on the disks.

pski
2011-05-21, 16:11
Synology ds211+ DSM 3.1-1613
SBS 7.5.3
Player Model: Squeezebox Touch
Player Model: Squeezebox Radio

Disks hibernate (20 mins in Synology Power settings)but imediately wakeup !
There are no other live systems connected to the network at this time.

Ethereal shows that ther is a regular data exchange (PSH,ACK) initated from SBS to both SB devices, which reply even though switched off.

I assume SB Off is just a standby and the box's are network active.

I have tried a modified (hacked by me) version of SrvpowerCtrl to switch devices to MSB.com but this unfortunately crashes MySql.

Any ieas how to stop this annoying data exchange ? it would appear that SBS needs somthing to check for idle servers and stop talking to them.

Mike

"Third party hardware?" I sink so.

mikep666
2011-05-22, 09:57
Last Nights /var/log/messages (some of)

Disk Hibernate set to 1 Hour.

acces to /etc/localtime is a candidate

but so is all this slimserv access to the artwork cache

Any ideas anyone

Mike

sebp
2011-05-22, 23:02
Look in the "Third party hardware" section of this forum, as suggested by pksi.

mikep666
2011-05-23, 13:39
Hi

Ok folks thanks for responses

i searched in 3 party hardware forum and find no relevant post. Are you suggesting you have seen some relevant post there ? If so then I must be missing something

any chance of a referance or link

Mike

pski
2011-05-23, 17:36
Hi

Ok folks thanks for responses

i searched in 3 party hardware forum and find no relevant post. Are you suggesting you have seen some relevant post there ? If so then I must be missing something

any chance of a referance or link

Mike

Hi Mike,

Maybe you could experiment with the settings you see (and we don't) and you could chip in helping here instead of being sarcastic? We will help you if you can say what you try and what happens.

(I see no reason why SBS should be expected to control your NAS disk hibernate.)

My friends here aren't really that mean about where you post. Listen to yourself.

P

mikep666
2011-05-24, 10:33
Hi

Sorry realy didnt mean to sound sacastic I really thought I was missing something in the other thread.

So now some feedback:

Synology are investigating the disk access to localtime issue, looks like a bug.

I have also disabled ALL plugins in SBS and it seems the SB devices are now much quieter network wise.

I will wait to see if Synology can do anything about the localtime access issue. Once this is out of the way I can get back to testing SBS.

FYI: i was using SrvpowerCtrl to spot idle SB devices and switch them to SBS.com. I hacked it to not susspend the host but sit in an event driven idle loop (low CPU demmand) until a device tried to reconect. This rather fell appart as the Synology SBS port is 7.5.3 and SBS is now at 7.5.4. I would need to update the SB device hardware to 7.5.4 to allow conection to SDS.com but then they complain about my local SBS when trying to connect. So the switch server trick on SB devices is on hold pending Synology update of SBS and resolution of thier own issue.

Regards

Mike