PDA

View Full Version : Multiple audio zones. Spotify...

simonk
2011-05-15, 23:50
I currently have a Home Automation server which has 3 audio zones connected to it. I've previously been using J River Media Centre to play seperate local audio files to the 3 zones so each zone can listen to their own music.

I've just discovered Spotify and love it and would like to intergrate this into my system but it looks like the only way you can play to 3 seperate zones is with Sonos or Squeezebox, Is there such a thing as a software Squeezebox emulator that would allow me to stream 3 seperate spotify streams to the 3 zones with just one spotify premium account?

Thanks
Simon

TheLastMan
2011-05-19, 12:48
Is there such a thing as a software Squeezebox emulator that would allow me to stream 3 seperate spotify streams to the 3 zones with just one spotify premium account?

Thanks
Simon

No. Spotify only allow one stream per premium account regardless of what it is played on.

Hobgoblin
2011-05-19, 13:39
No. Spotify only allow one stream per premium account regardless of what it is played on.

Is that correct? I can't find the thread now, but I thought that the official spotify plugin allowed you to play a different stream on each client. *Almost* tempted to buy a Touch in order to get this capability.

simonk
2011-05-19, 23:18

I'm sure that I read that with Sonos and Squeezebox you can stream different music to different boxs with only one premium account. However with PC's you can only play a stream on one pc at a time.

TheLastMan
2011-05-20, 01:26
I'm sure that I read that with Sonos and Squeezebox you can stream different music to different boxs with only one premium account. However with PC's you can only play a stream on one pc at a time.
I would be surprised - it is against what they allow for all other devices.

It needs somebody to test it.

Can SqueezePlay play Spotify streams? If so, and it is the case that multiple streams on Squeezeboxes are allowed, then presumably you could play separate streams on computers running SqueezePlay as the Squeezebox system does not discriminate between Squeezeplay and a hardware box in any other way.

If it does work I wouldn't shout about it :) This sounds like a loophole Spotify are bound to fill in at some point. They have been cutting back on freebies everywhere else!