PDA

View Full Version : Announce: YouTube Plugin

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Triode
2011-05-15, 10:45
I've just released a plugin to play the audio from YouTube videos through Squeezeboxs. Please try and let me know your feedback. It should work on 7.5 and 7.6 servers. It should be available in the 3rd Party Plugin list on your squeezebox server. It will prefer an up to date version of 7.5 or 7.6.

WARNING: please note the plugin streams the entire YouTube video even though you are only listening to the audio. This means that it will consume significantly more internet bandwidth than other streaming plugins. If you have a usage limited internet connection, then be aware that using this plugin is the equivalent of streaming videos not audio.

Features:
- Browse YouTube top lists of most popular videos tagged with 'music'
- Search all YouTube videos or videos tagged with 'music'
- Playback of specific YouTube URL (of the form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4H_Zoh7G5A)
- Playback will search for a video resolution which can be played, there is a setting on the web settings page to set if you prefer to select lower resolution videos to reduce bandwidth. By default it will try to play the higher quality audio streams.

Please report bugs and feature requests here, please include the specific server version used as the plugin uses some tricks to support 7.5 as well as 7.6 server and these may be the cause of bugs.

Thanks to Pipin for the suggestion..

Pank
2011-05-15, 15:39
Thanks. It works nice. Congratulation btw!

PS: Maybe future versions could play back video through the web interface.

Edit: Also, sometimes you are able to find mixes (I am not into youtube lingo, so this might not be the correct term). Anyway, it would be nice to be able to playback a mix such as this one:
http://www.youtube.com/artist?a=GxdCwVVULXdDeDeAOAyOcqr9bYeC0EkQ

badboygolf16v
2011-05-16, 13:10
Thanks for this plugin, great idea.

Sometimes the audio plays back too quickly. Sample rate issues perhaps? Did you see this before?

I'm running a Touch, SBS 7.5.4 on Windows Server 2008 Standard.

Any suggestions appreciated.

One video in particular will not play at the correct speed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thVZJ9TlPGs

pberger
2011-05-17, 00:01
Thanks. Great plugin!

Two suggestions:
- Playlist support (like http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL7EFC7963DB9280CA or like the already mentioned http://www.youtube.com/artist?a=GxdCwVVULXdDeDeAOAyOcqr9bYeC0EkQ)
- Improved guessing of artist / trackname (eg. remove parts in brackets from the name)

nervoteso
2011-05-17, 10:35
i've installed plusing on nas qnap ts 119 and it doesn't work. it appears icon of the video but no sound....sigh

Triode
2011-05-17, 11:41
i've installed plusing on nas qnap ts 119 and it doesn't work. it appears icon of the video but no sound....sigh

There's two possible reasons for this:
1) the NAS does not have enough CPU power
2) the NAS does not use the logitech patched version of faad for transcoding aac streams (if this is the case then non aac based internet radio will work?)

Have you tried setting the bitrate setting to prefer lower bitrate streams? This should help on both fronts as the lower resoltion streams are lower bitrate (less work for the NAS) and also use mp3 audio so do not need transcoding on the server.

nervoteso
2011-05-17, 11:56
There's two possible reasons for this:
1) the NAS does not have enough CPU power
2) the NAS does not use the logitech patched version of faad for transcoding aac streams (if this is the case then non aac based internet radio will work?)

Have you tried setting the bitrate setting to prefer lower bitrate streams? This should help on both fronts as the lower resoltion streams are lower bitrate (less work for the NAS) and also use mp3 audio so do not need transcoding on the server.

yes i did, lower resolution but it doesn't work. the cpu is good, it's atom 1.6 ghz.
laso this is my setting

Formato file Decodificatore
AAC AAC native
FLAC faad/flac
MP3 faad/lame
PCM faad

pippin
2011-05-17, 11:59
QNap doesn't have an Atom, it's a Marvell-Chip with an Arm-Core (ARM 5, I believe). The problem with therese NAS chips usually is that they don't have a floating-point processor.

signor_rossi
2011-05-18, 02:55
Great plugin! I especially found the 'On Youtube' option nice in the song details page on the web interface and the iPeng song options page. But why not make it possible to also play the listed youtube videos in the browser or in the iPhone/iTouch youtube app? I managed to play them in Firefox by getting to their youtube page with the aid of a little URL-processing add-on, since the shortened 'youtube://' links you give aren't understood out of the box by firefox.

Triode
2011-05-18, 14:11
Version 0.8 now available from the plugin page. This version supports:
- should play to the end of each video rather than cutting off the last few seconds (note streams may not meet the duration as this seems inacurate in some cases)
- additional search by playlist or channel
- link from the web interface to play the youtube video (on track info screen)

Please post feedback in this thread.

pippin
2011-05-18, 16:23
Do you have a way to add a "weblink => <URL>" tag to the root level of that URL item in a SqueezePlay menu?
iPEng has a feature that I originally included for Biography and AlbumReview which allows to play a url that way.
I believe if it's a "youtube://" URL it will even play directly in the YouTube App.

signor_rossi
2011-05-19, 07:42
Hmm, something is amiss now for me with version 0.8, selecting 'On Youtube' doesn't do anything any more, I just get the 'busy' cursor on the Web interface and in iPeng and the screen doesn't refresh. Logging doesn't show anything, also when set to debugging.
EDIT: Forgot to say that I am running
Version: 7.6.0 - r32427
Betriebssystem: Linux - DE - iso-8859-1
Plattformarchitektur: x86_64-linux
Perl-Version: 5.12.3 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Datenbankversion: DBD::SQLite 1.32_02 (sqlite 3.7.5)
on Arch Linux.

pippin
2011-05-19, 08:12
Do you have a way to add a "weblink => <URL>" tag to the root level of that URL item in a SqueezePlay menu?
iPEng has a feature that I originally included for Biography and AlbumReview which allows to play a url that way.
I believe if it's a "youtube://" URL it will even play directly in the YouTube App.

youtube:// was wrong. Here's how YouTube links work on iPhone:

The YouTube URL scheme is used to launch the YouTube application or connect to the YouTube website to play the specified video. If your application links to YouTube content, you can use this scheme to play videos from your application.

Unlike some schemes, YouTube URLs do not start with a “youtube” scheme identifier. Instead, they are specified as regular http links but are targeted at the YouTube server. The following examples show the basic strings you would use in Safari and in an application to show a YouTube video. In each example, you would need to replace the VIDEO_IDENTIFIER value with the identifier of the video you wanted to display:

HTML links:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDEO_IDENTIFIER">Play Video</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEO_IDENTIFIER">Play Video</a>
Native application URL strings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIDEO_IDENTIFIER
http://www.youtube.com/v/VIDEO_IDENTIFIER

Triode
2011-05-19, 10:32
Hmm, something is amiss now for me with version 0.8, selecting 'On Youtube' doesn't do anything any more, I just get the 'busy' cursor on the Web interface and in iPeng and the screen doesn't refresh. Logging doesn't show anything, also when set to debugging.
EDIT: Forgot to say that I am running
Version: 7.6.0 - r32427
Betriebssystem: Linux - DE - iso-8859-1
Plattformarchitektur: x86_64-linux
Perl-Version: 5.12.3 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
Datenbankversion: DBD::SQLite 1.32_02 (sqlite 3.7.5)
on Arch Linux.

Was this from an artist or track menu - it should work from the track menu, but is a known (by me!) bug for the artist menu. The reason for artist context menus is somewhere is the main server code and I have not found out where yet (there are logitech plugins which have this feature commented out as it doesn't work!)

Triode
2011-05-19, 10:34
youtube:// was wrong. Here's how YouTube links work on iPhone:

Yes youtube:// was one I made up for the plugin as SBS needs a unique url scheme for a protocol handler.

Can you describe in a bit more detail where you want this weblink? (I explicity check the user interface and only show it on a web session at present!)

signor_rossi
2011-05-19, 10:55
Was this from an artist or track menu - it should work from the track menu, but is a known (by me!) bug for the artist menu. The reason for artist context menus is somewhere is the main server code and I have not found out where yet (there are logitech plugins which have this feature commented out as it doesn't work!)

From the track menu where I can see all the track info like 'comment, duration, bitrate, sample rate, etc...'.

erland
2011-05-19, 10:58

Do you know how the problem looks like ? Do you get wrong values in the callback or is it something else ?

I'm asking because I haven't seen any problems with the artist context menus in my plugins. Not sure I've tested all different scenarios though.

Triode
2011-05-19, 12:37
Looks like I broke the working track context menu in the latest version - will fix this. I

pippin
2011-05-19, 14:07
Yes youtube:// was one I made up for the plugin as SBS needs a unique url scheme for a protocol handler.

I meant my comment. I said you would need a youtube: link but you don't. iPhone will play a YouTube video in the YouTube app if you use a valid YouTube play link in a http://... format

Can you describe in a bit more detail where you want this weblink? (I explicity check the user interface and only show it on a web session at present!)
I would say in the Track Info menu and in the context menu for the playable item when you are searching or browsing YouTube.

Triode
2011-05-22, 07:46
I meant my comment. I said you would need a youtube: link but you don't. iPhone will play a YouTube video in the YouTube app if you use a valid YouTube play link in a http://... format

I would say in the Track Info menu and in the context menu for the playable item when you are searching or browsing YouTube.

I'm not sure I can make adding weblink work - there appears to be no way to pass this through xmlbrowser to ipeg. I note that weblink is commented out in the latest version of the Biography plugin - perhaps for this reason..?

Triode
2011-05-22, 07:47
Do you know how the problem looks like ? Do you get wrong values in the callback or is it something else ?

I'm asking because I haven't seen any problems with the artist context menus in my plugins. Not sure I've tested all different scenarios though.

Its a problem for plugins which pass an xmlbrowser hash which needs browsing into as the artist context menu. I've added something to onebrowser which makes this work (both for the next youtube and my spotify plugin) - in r32451

Triode
2011-05-22, 08:36
I've just updated the release in main repository. This release adds the following:
- add recently played menu item listing last 20 YouTube track played
- fix context menu on youtube searches (broken by 0.8)
- make artist context menu work (requires 7.6 server version r32451 or later)
- small optimisations to playback code

pippin
2011-05-22, 09:37
I'm not sure I can make adding weblink work - there appears to be no way to pass this through xmlbrowser to ipeg. I note that weblink is commented out in the latest version of the Biography plugin - perhaps for this reason..?

No, I believe it's commented out because Michael only briefly used it, then decided to process the links in the plugin and make the content available through the plugin which has the advantage that you don't have to switch apps.
I originally added it when the plugin did not yet allow to dig into additional content layers.

I don't think the plugin uses XMLBrowser, doesn't it?

Triode
2011-05-22, 10:02
No, I believe it's commented out because Michael only briefly used it, then decided to process the links in the plugin and make the content available through the plugin which has the advantage that you don't have to switch apps.
I originally added it when the plugin did not yet allow to dig into additional content layers.

I don't think the plugin uses XMLBrowser, doesn't it?

It doesn't use xmlbrowser itself but is called via it as trackinfo is xmlbrowser based. Let me take another look but it seems that I can't just include the link as a weblink.

pippin
2011-05-22, 10:18
It doesn't use xmlbrowser itself but is called via it as trackinfo is xmlbrowser based. Let me take another look but it seems that I can't just include the link as a weblink.

Could you add it as a sumbenu item which would not be XMLBrowser based then?

IF that's NOT possible: from the next iPeng version on iPeng will browse text for URLs so an item containing the URL in the text would then work, too, albeit not as slickly as the weblink for some reason.

Triode
2011-05-22, 10:23
Could you add it as a sumbenu item which would not be XMLBrowser based then?

IF that's NOT possible: from the next iPeng version on iPeng will browse text for URLs so an item containing the URL in the text would then work, too, albeit not as slickly as the weblink for some reason.

If you got the following would it be usable to you:

{
actions => {
go => { weblink => "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uelHwf8o7_U" },
},
addAction => "go",
text => "Watch YouTube Video",
type => "text",
},

pippin
2011-05-22, 10:27
I don't think so, but I believe this would work:

{
text => "bla",
item_loop => [{
text => "Something, e.g. the URL as text",
weblink => "http:/...."
}]
}

Triode
2011-05-22, 11:13
I don't think so, but I believe this would work:

{
text => "bla",
item_loop => [{
text => "Something, e.g. the URL as text",
weblink => "http:/...."
}]
}

OK I can do that by adding an extra menu level, so the track info context menu contains a "Play Video" link which goes to an another menu with a "Play Video" entry and the weblink. I have this working, but unfortunately the youtube app on my ipod says "Could not load movie" - do you know the specific format of youtube urls which work? (I've tried both the formats you posted above).

Update - it actually works, but only on some videos - looks like may music videos won't playback on ithings using the youtube url for some reason...?

pippin
2011-05-22, 13:23
I don't know the reason but I've seen it in the facebook App, too.

erland
2011-05-23, 09:47
Update - it actually works, but only on some videos - looks like may music videos won't playback on ithings using the youtube url for some reason...?
Isn't it only some of the videos that are available on iOS devices in the YouTube app ? At least I'm pretty sure that was the case in the beginning.

Maybe this is what you are seeing ?
Or do you have problem playing videos which can be played through the standard YouTube app ?

Triode
2011-05-23, 10:39
Isn't it only some of the videos that are available on iOS devices in the YouTube app ? At least I'm pretty sure that was the case in the beginning.

Maybe this is what you are seeing ?
Or do you have problem playing videos which can be played through the standard YouTube app ?

I suspect this is all I am seeing, but it was the first set of videos I tried - its quite a few of the music ones though :(

Triode
2011-05-23, 13:56
0.10 release
- put plugin in myapps menu for 7.6 (requires 7.6 onebrowser r32458 or later)
- avoid constant search when youtube returns less results than it states
- add "Watch YouTube Video" link in iPeng track context menus (note the iOS YouTube app will not play all music videos)

pippin
2011-05-23, 15:45
Seems to work for me, including the link.
I wanted to mention that Globalsearch integration is broken but this seems to work now, too :)

One thing: the icon looks a bit uncommon between the Apps.
Tow suggestions:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/YouTubeApp1.png
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/YouTubeApp1.png
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/YouTubeApp2.png
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/YouTubeApp2.png

bernt
2011-05-23, 23:33
I nominate the YouTube plugin to the Plugin of the year (so far).

Thanks.

signor_rossi
2011-05-24, 06:51
0.10 release
- add "Watch YouTube Video" link in iPeng track context menus (note the iOS YouTube app will not play all music videos)

Wouldn't it be nice to also be able to play a Youtube video in iPeng without having to play it in SBS first? Maybe having two options: number one 'Play in iPhone/iTouch Youtube App without pausing SBS playback', the second 'Play in iPhone/iTouch Youtube App and pause SBS playback' or similar.

pippin
2011-05-24, 06:59
Ummm... but why? I mean: you could just use the YouTube App if you are only after playing a YouTube video.

Or did I get the usecase wrong?

signor_rossi
2011-05-24, 07:22
Yes, you did get it wrong, I haven't stated it clearly, though. ;)
Seriously, I certainly could search for a certain artist in the Youtube app and watch the videos I want, but the use case I have in mind is this:
- Listen to music through my Duet/Boom/Squeezeplay
- On a whim become interested at a certain song what RELATED videos/music are available on Youtube
- Use the Youtube SBS Plugin to get a list of 'em
- Choose one and watch it on your iPhone/iTouch with or without stopping the music on SBS

For me this makes sense, as for others, say what you think about it. :)

wewen
2011-05-25, 13:40
Would it be possible to add so that you can login to your youtube account? And play your saved youtube playlists. If so this would rival spotify :)))

Edit: Btw is it possible to release this as an applet also? This would rock on my batterydriven radio :D

MyTube
2011-05-29, 05:54
Hi there

This plugin works great. But after about twenty sucessful streams - I just listend to some seconds and then went to the next songs - i get an error "Problem: Verbindung zum Server... nicht möglich für youtube..." (can't connect to the server). After rebooting the server everything works fine again.

Any idea or help for this specific problem (7.5.4 / Win7)?

pippin
2011-05-29, 07:16
Is this the 0.10? I've seen this with a previous version of the plugin, too, but not the current one.

MyTube
2011-05-29, 09:38
Yes under 0.10. It was worse before, but still there.

Mnyb
2011-05-29, 11:23
fantastic plugin, sound is truly horrible but great for discovering music or as background muzak or for party requests , now I don't have to contaminate my server with the latest hits :)

I have my kitchen system or my boom where sq is not that critical...

wewen
2011-05-30, 01:32
Is it just me who are unable to load mine playlist. No matter how I search, like http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL51B36281947898BA och like PL51B36281947898BA or with username or description or name of playlist am I able to find my playlists.

It find other playlists just not the one I search for. Anyways! Your the man triode! You have made the best plugins :)

MusicManiac
2011-05-31, 18:01
I can't seem to find this plugin in any of the menus. Do I need to do anything specific to have it show up?

7.6r32466 with plugin version 0.11

Thanks for your work and help.

pippin
2011-06-01, 00:17
It should be under "My Apps" in 7.6.

copperstate
2011-06-04, 13:11
I would appreciate an option to put it back into internet radio as I usually hide the "my app" entry (due to it being empty). :)

Sportswagoneer
2011-06-04, 14:59
Hi.

Thanks a million for this plug-in!!!

Now - Pippin: I'm using iPeng for iPad (on 2 pads.) I have the playback-option enabled but I rarely use it since the iPad speakers are terrible and I dont have headphones lying around all the time.

To me - it would be a lot more attractive to put the sound output from the iPad (games, TV, videos etc.) on one of my squeezeboxes...! This would in principle be good for all sound output - but You-Tube only would be a pretty good alternative. The key here would off course be to synchronize the Squeezebox playback with the video on the iPad - either in the iPeng app or in the You-tube app...

I'm guessing this is a pretty big step - but then again - it's a feature I'd be happy to pay for!

MusicManiac
2011-06-05, 10:19
It should be under "My Apps" in 7.6.

Thanks for the pointer Pippin, but its not showing up there for me.

I know the first time I tried it, it showed up under Internet Radio.

It seems to be installing fine, its properties show up under advanced->youtube.

I'll keep messing.

pippin
2011-06-05, 21:24
Could you try to update SBS 7.6 to a current build?

MusicManiac
2011-06-06, 06:27
Could you try to update SBS 7.6 to a current build?

I updated to whatever yesterdays build was (June 5th) right before posting.

A clean shutdown and restart of the server doesn't make a difference.

The only thing listed under My Apps is the App gallery. (I've never added anything)

Does the server need to be signed into mysqueezebox.com for things to show up there? I'm typically not signed in as I don't use those features.

pippin
2011-06-06, 07:33
I updated to whatever yesterdays build was (June 5th) right before posting.

A clean shutdown and restart of the server doesn't make a difference.

The only thing listed under My Apps is the App gallery. (I've never added anything)

Does the server need to be signed into mysqueezebox.com for things to show up there? I'm typically not signed in as I don't use those features.

Actually I don't know, I'm always signed in, this could well be.
Could be an explanation and would justify a comment in the change on the server side that allowed Apps to be added there.

Triode
2011-06-06, 14:07
Yes the server code for putting plugins on the My Apps menu assumes it can login to MySqueezebox.com, will fix server so that they show up when not logging in.

Edit: fix should be in the next nightly version of 7.6

MrRalph
2011-06-13, 02:19
Thanks for this wonderfull plugin. It behaves differently between 7.5 and 7.6. In 7.5 nightly YouTube is added to the Radio's menu, in 7.6 nightly it is added to the Apps menu.

Ralph

Triode
2011-06-13, 10:51
Thanks for this wonderfull plugin. It behaves differently between 7.5 and 7.6. In 7.5 nightly YouTube is added to the Radio's menu, in 7.6 nightly it is added to the Apps menu.

Ralph

Yes that is by design - its not possible to put plugins in the Apps menu until 7.6 but it was requested to do this, hence it was added for 7.6.

SonicBe@m
2011-06-25, 04:50
hi all,

i often got the problem that i cant stream the music.

if i completely reinstall the squeezeserver and reinstall the plugin than all is good.
after a while he dont starts any stream and throws the same exception every time:
Slim::Player::Song::open (465) Warning: stream failed to open

the next problem is that i can only stream if i change to low quality for the youtube plugin.

is there a youtube block or something else?
i dont understand the problem.

if i can help to find the problem than ask me what you want.

i use a 40mbit connection and a ds110j

cya

rcampbel3
2011-06-25, 19:05
Just wanted to say that aside from the "I guess this would be cool" idea I had when this was requested and proposed...

It's amazing what kind of great and crazy music one can find on youtube. If anyone at my house asks... can you find... $SONG, I search youtube for it via this plugin.

Thanks!

Now... would it be entirely crazy to stream an on-the-fly transcoded version to the Radio or touch screens? Certainly if SBS is adding video, I'd hope the're going to be able to use ffmpeg much like Air Video server does to allow clients on iPhone/iPad to get a dynamically adjusted bitrate video stream.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html

seems like vlc is adding the IOS http live streaming support that the iPhone/iPad Air Video client uses (that works exceptionally well, IMHO btw). http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/150/514.page

If SBS or LMS? could server video and do live transcode down to whatever bandwidth 'works' for home wireless networks, I'd certainly be interested to stream video to squeezeboxes just like I'm currently doing with a linux server , airvideo server, and airvideo client on ipad/iphone *AND* have a smarter interface for video metadata as well as access to my music via a squeeze* client

Triode
2011-06-26, 03:59
hi all,

i often got the problem that i cant stream the music.

if i completely reinstall the squeezeserver and reinstall the plugin than all is good.
after a while he dont starts any stream and throws the same exception every time:
Slim::Player::Song::open (465) Warning: stream failed to open

the next problem is that i can only stream if i change to low quality for the youtube plugin.

is there a youtube block or something else?
i dont understand the problem.

if i can help to find the problem than ask me what you want.

i use a 40mbit connection and a ds110j

cya

What does the debugging show? (plugin.youtube logging set to debug)

Are you playing back on a player which does not support aac? I suspect this is the cause of the second problem as I don't think the Synology server version of Squeezebox server includes the correct support for decoding aac radio streams.

nervoteso
2011-07-29, 12:11
i've installed youtube plugin on SQ 7.5.0 (win 7) but i can't hear anything, i see icons but music doesn't play. any suggests?thanks

paulster
2011-07-30, 00:45
i've installed youtube plugin on SQ 7.5.0 (win 7) but i can't hear anything, i see icons but music doesn't play. any suggests?thanks

Mine started doing that on Debian Linux today (7.6.0). It worked fine the last couple of days and now shows the artwork and acts as though it's playing but there's no sound. A server restart didn't make any difference.

Server log with debug enabled simply shows two identical fetch commands.

teebo2345
2011-07-30, 11:22
Mine started doing that on Debian Linux today (7.6.0). It worked fine the last couple of days and now shows the artwork and acts as though it's playing but there's no sound. A server restart didn't make any difference.

Server log with debug enabled simply shows two identical fetch commands.

Mine also stopped working today. I have done a server reload and a fresh install. Any youtube video requests appear to play for around 4 secs and then reset to 0 seconds. No audio is ever heard anymore. I am running 7.6 on win2k3 server. Please help me get this working again, I love the plugin!

paulster
2011-07-30, 11:35
Just to add, I noticed that my Controller displays 'No streams found - <title>' when trying to play, despite there being nothing in the server log.

This is on streams that have played fine before and still continue to play fine via the computer.

I wonder if YouTube have made an API change.

Triode
2011-07-30, 11:54
Are you using the latest version of the plugin?

paulster
2011-07-30, 12:27
0.11 on 7.6.0/Debian.

Is that the latest (there are no links to it on the plugin page)?

Triode
2011-07-30, 13:32
0.11 on 7.6.0/Debian.

Is that the latest (there are no links to it on the plugin page)?

Should be 0.12.

pippin
2011-07-30, 13:35
There's a 0.12 now, but the server doesn't seem to find it, yet.
If you uninstall and reinstall it (just ticking the boxed on the server's plugin page and restarting SBS) the new version should install.

paulster
2011-07-30, 14:15
There's a 0.12 now, but the server doesn't seem to find it, yet.
If you uninstall and reinstall it (just ticking the boxed on the server's plugin page and restarting SBS) the new version should install.

That worked to get the new version to install.

Which also seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks!

pippin
2011-08-03, 15:44
Could it be that something changed again so that 0.12 doesn't work as well?
7.6.1, yesterday's nightly.

nervoteso
2011-08-04, 01:42
plugin keeps on not working, it says stream not found

paulster
2011-08-04, 08:59
Could it be that something changed again so that 0.12 doesn't work as well?
7.6.1, yesterday's nightly.

plugin keeps on not working, it says stream not found
Over the last couple of days YouTube have blocked their content from being displayed on Roku media players through an unofficial channel that they were upset about, so they are actively blocking content in certain cases now.

I wonder if this plugin has managed to get caught up in that process as well. Mine has also stopped working again too.

marlar
2011-08-04, 14:25
What a shame. I just discovered this plugin 10 minutes ago and installed it, only to find the content blocked

I too have the "no streams found" error.

Freddy
2011-08-06, 12:20
What a pity, this was a very nice plug-in indeed.
Hope there will be a workaround...

glambx
2011-08-09, 10:02
Hey guys,

If anyone is interested, I wrote a simple patch that fixes the issue. I sent it to someone who knows the developer and he said he'd forward it to him.

If anyone wants, you can apply the patch locally to:

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube/ProtocolHandler.pm

ie.

cd /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube/ProtocolHandler.pm
patch < ProtocolHandler.pm.patch

I've also included a pre-patched version.

Otherwise, hang tight.. I'm sure a new version will pop up soon. :)

paulster
2011-08-09, 10:40
Applied the patch and it seems to fix it just fine for me.

Thanks for that, and hopefully it makes it into the official plugin soon for the benefit of everyone.

Freddy
2011-08-09, 10:48
And the pre-patched version worked fine for me!

Many thanks

marlar
2011-08-09, 13:06
It does not work for me. I see the song title in the display, but it does not start playing.

In the server.log file I see this when I try to play from youtube :

[11-08-09 22:05:03.1957] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (146) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: Can't call method "pluginData" on an undefined value at /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube/ProtocolHandler.pm line 82.
; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0x37 4b958)

I wonder why it works for you. It's Version: 7.5.1 of Squeezebox Server.

Freddy
2011-08-09, 14:02
It does not work for me. I see the song title in the display, but it does not start playing.

In the server.log file I see this when I try to play from youtube :

[11-08-09 22:05:03.1957] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (146) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: Can't call method "pluginData" on an undefined value at /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube/ProtocolHandler.pm line 82.
; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0x37 4b958)

I wonder why it works for you. It's Version: 7.5.1 of Squeezebox Server.

Did you restart the server?
I had to do this to reload the new file from cache

marlar
2011-08-09, 14:28
Yes I restarted the server.

I have done some debugging and found that the variable $song in sub formatOverride { } is undefined and thus the line

return $song->pluginData('format') || 'aac';

fails. If I simply change it to

return 'aac';

it seems to work. I don't know what will happen if the stream is not aac, though ;-)

I am experinced in PHP but I know nothing about Perl and I don't understand from where formatOverride is called. Hence I can't figure out why $song is undefined as I don't know with which parameters it is called.

Any clues?

paulster
2011-08-09, 14:33
Are you using v0.12 or v0.11 of the YouTube plugin?

I had to uninstall and reinstall the plugin to get the new version because it doesn't seem to have advertised itself properly (see a few posts back), and then applied the patch to this version.

Granted I'm running server 7.6.0 rather than a 7.5 variant like you but I'm wondering if you're trying to use this fix against an earlier plugin version.

marlar
2011-08-09, 14:44
Yes it's 0.12. And I also reinstalled it just to make sure.

Have you tried looking in the server.log if there are any erros like mine? I mean, maybe you have the same error but perhaps v7.6 will play it anyway etc.

Is 7.6.0 working fine for you? I read there were many issues with it.

pippin
2011-08-09, 14:54
7.5.1. may be too old.
There should now be a 0.13 but it's not in the 3rd party list, yet.

pippin
2011-08-09, 18:34
0.13 is there now and works with my 7.6.1 server.
Thanks glambx and Triode!

paulster
2011-08-09, 19:16
0.13 is working fine for me on 7.6.0 as well.

Thanks, all, for getting this fixed.

marlar
2011-08-10, 00:49
0.13 still gives the error "Can't call method "pluginData" on an undefined value" in formatOverride on line 82. And just returning "aac" seems to fix it like before.

Probably an incompatibility with SBS 7.5.1?

smitti_
2011-08-20, 10:55
Hi,

I've installed the youtube plugin and it is great. But after playing 10-20 youtube songs I allways get the error message: problem: can't connect to server for <youtube://....>.

server.log displays
[11-08-20 19:08:44.5284] Slim::Player::Song:: open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [youtube://QPuK7qrf3L8].
[11-08-20 19:13:32.5358] Slim::Player::Song:: open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [youtube://O5DzBKtzJMc].

I allready read a similar message in this thread, but when I remember correct this was solved after updating SBS and youtube plugin. I also tried this but it had no success.
Has anyone an idea?

Config:
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
SBS Version: 7.6.0 - r32859
Youtube Plugin 0.13

arztde
2011-08-20, 16:22
Suggestion: I have somewhere a api for last.fm to you tube: It plays radio of friends or your own radio station of your scrobbelt files. But it search inside your last.fm libary and play videos of this song it found from youtube. you need not to have a payed last.fm account.

So at least it is useful to play videos on the touch or the radio or for example joggler. It can also stream to iphone or winmobile or android.

With some enhancement and help of erland i think you can make this api in a way that the music extracts inside squeezebox to your amplifier and the video is shown in the touch or maybe as highlight on TV.
In this way you can have something like an own MTV station.
If you are interest than drop me a email and i search the api. It was given to me some time ago from a last.fm developer and is free to use.

marlar
2011-08-22, 02:23
I've installed the youtube plugin and it is great. But after playing 10-20 youtube songs I allways get the error message: problem: can't connect to server for <youtube://....>.

I get the same error. It helps to restart the SB server.

Btw, is there a plugin to restart SB Server from the Squeezebox? I mean, using the remote control?

pippin
2011-08-22, 04:58
SvrPowerControl can do that.

smitti_
2011-08-23, 02:48
I know that it helps, but it is very annoying to restart the whole server after playing 15 youtube songs. This amount is reached very quick when listening to youtube playlists.

Are there maybe additional log files from the youtube plugin?

smitti_
2011-08-23, 23:24
No, I think you misunderstood me. The first thing, I don't upload the videos, and the second thing is that it does not matter which video I play. Everytime I play 15 videos in a row I have to restart the server to listen to another 15 songs.

And when I get the error when playing video number 16 and I restart the server, this video works fine. So this shouldn't be an issue of the video format.

Pank
2011-08-28, 05:18
The plugin also stops working for me after some time. I have no idea why it does it and the log isn't that helpful

[11-08-28 14:14:54.0700] Slim::Player::Song::open (471) Warning: stream failed to open [youtube://fA6UM0ZM6r4].

This is using 7.6.1. and youtube v0.13

htherkildsen
2011-09-12, 13:13
I have the same problem, please help.

Config
QNAB TS-119 firmware 3.5.0 Build 0816T
SBS Version: 7.6.1 - r33110
Youtube Plugin 0.13

thouky
2011-09-18, 01:50
Is the plugin applying a content filter? Some YouTube content tagged as being age restricted (such as http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM) does not appear in searches even if the full URL is used.

smitti_
2011-10-14, 08:39
sorry for the late reply :-)
no, problem is not a content-filter. The problem appears everytime after listening to 15 youtube tracks. No matter which song.

Has anyone an idea?

smitti_
2011-10-14, 09:58
I've updated my squeezebox server and it works up to now. I've tested to play 60 songs, and it is still working without any error.
I will monitor it the next few days and keep you up to date.

My current config:
Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
SBS Version: 7.6.1 - r33149

Oh man, am I happy that it works now!!!! :D

htherkildsen
2011-10-16, 06:21
I have the same problem, please help.

Config
QNAB TS-119 firmware 3.5.0 Build 0816T
SBS Version: 7.6.1 - r33110
Youtube Plugin 0.13

Throughout the last couple of week it has bee working superb!!
And that's without any change. And without any restart.

This is simply a super plug-in, all the rewards from me.

wewen
2011-10-17, 04:48
Throughout the last couple of week it has bee working superb!!
And that's without any change. And without any restart.

This is simply a super plug-in, all the rewards from me.

Feels likewize! Great pluginwriters like Triode makes squeezebox superb!

mh_
2011-10-25, 01:27
Hello Triode,

Thanks a lot for your wonderful plugin!
May I have a request to add an option to run the whole youtube channel as a playlist? Suppose I go to My Apps -> Youtube -> Channel Search -> e.g. UKF Dubstep -> I have a list with all entries, which is nice, but it's quite a laborious task to add entries one by one to player's playlist.
A "play" functionality for the whole channel would be very convenient. The same would apply to "youtube playlist search".

I hope it's possible to implement this.
Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
mh

cuberob
2011-11-04, 11:03
Plugin seems AWESOME, but i cant seem to get it to work with my squeezebox server. It's running on a synology ds210+ (PPC cpu).

Guessing this is the problem and it just won't work..?

Planning on upgrading to a Synology ds712+ though, which is powered by a intel atom (dual core) x86 cpu.
Any hope of it working on that? or isn't this "just" a cpu problem?

Thanks!

Mnyb
2011-11-04, 20:27
Plugin seems AWESOME, but i cant seem to get it to work with my squeezebox server. It's running on a synology ds210+ (PPC cpu).

Guessing this is the problem and it just won't work..?

Planning on upgrading to a Synology ds712+ though, which is powered by a intel atom (dual core) x86 cpu.
Any hope of it working on that? or isn't this "just" a cpu problem?

Thanks!

X86 cpu would save you from a world of pain :) imo .

a lot of things just works then, youtube plugin , spotify plugin and all the transcoding between audioformats that squeezboxserver can do ( such as playing AAC on your boom or downsample 24/96 to24/48 ) And a web-UI not stuck in tar. And scanning the complete collection relatively fast.

Youtube plug is great fun for a party.

paulster
2011-11-17, 21:46
Has anyone else noticed that you're getting a Bad YouTube URL every time you try to paste a URL in lately? Search works fine but I often find it's easier to use the YouTube web interface and then just paste the URL into SBS.

MikeDC
2011-11-26, 16:08
Would it be possible to add so that you can login to your youtube account? And play your saved youtube playlists. If so this would rival spotify :)))

Edit: Btw is it possible to release this as an applet also? This would rock on my batterydriven radio :D

OOOh Yeah, this is what I'm looking for too!

Wigster
2011-11-27, 12:54
Has anyone else noticed that you're getting a Bad YouTube URL every time you try to paste a URL in lately? Search works fine but I often find it's easier to use the YouTube web interface and then just paste the URL into SBS.

Yes!

I've just discovered the plugin (Brilliant!), but pasting the youtube URL always seems to give me the "Bad YouTube URL" error. Last SBS 7.6.2 on WHS.

As a suggestion, what would be even more fantastic is if one could capture the results of "Tune in URL" and divert them to the youtube plugin if they contain youtube.com in the URL.

pippin
2011-11-27, 13:34
Doesn't that work? I mean: I use that feature to play embedded YouTube files in iPeng and it's working there and I'm pretty sure I originally tested it through the web interface.

Or do I misunderstand something here: you talk about pasting a youtube URL intu tunein, right?

Wigster
2011-11-27, 15:14
I've just tried pasting this YouTube URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLeakz7eiug

into "Tune In URL" and it actually seems to have crashed the server. The web interface says M3U Internet Radio and seems to be progressing, but I cannot reload the web page and the Squeezebox says "Can't connect to server". After about 40 seconds it goes to back to normal without playing anything.

If I paste this directly into My Apps/YouTube/YouTube URL, I just get a "Bad YouTube URL error".

Sinkdrain
2011-12-05, 13:45
Paste url is not working for me either on my Android phone.

tricia
2012-01-25, 13:06
Thanks for this plugin, so cool, just what I needed.
It works fine now, but first try with this URL and it just wouldn't add it to playlist or play it. So then I tried your J-Lo test URL on page 1 here and that worked, then I tried my one and it just worked! :) One happy bunny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

vajim
2012-01-26, 18:21
...how exactly is the utube suppose to work?

I pulled the 3rd party plugin from the settings and I can see the utube option on my touch. It seems to work, search, select, etc, but when I actually select a tune, it says no stream, but then gets the info and goes through the motion like its playing but no sound?????

Sinkdrain
2012-01-26, 18:48
Same here..it used to work but now there's no sound.

vajim
2012-01-26, 18:52
...another think I noticed...when I try to paste a URL in the server settings area, it says BAD URL...?

vajim
2012-01-26, 19:00
my server version is 7.7.1

utube is v0.13

paulster
2012-01-26, 19:05
YouTube changed their URL format a while ago and it's been broken ever since. I mentioned it back in this thread but nothing's been done about it.

As far as I know the search within the application still works properly though; it just means you can't search within the actual YouTube site on your computer and then paste the URL into the LMS web interface at the moment.

vajim
2012-01-26, 19:10
YouTube changed their URL format a while ago and it's been broken ever since. I mentioned it back in this thread but nothing's been done about it.

As far as I know the search within the application still works properly though; it just means you can't search within the actual YouTube site on your computer and then paste the URL into the LMS web interface at the moment.

thanks

so is that why I can't hear any tunes? The touch can't find the URL?

paulster
2012-01-26, 19:38
No, I'm getting the No Streams Found error on everything I try now.

Looks like a plugin update is due.

vajim
2012-01-27, 04:02
No, I'm getting the No Streams Found error on everything I try now.

Looks like a plugin update is due.

Thanks

I'm usually pretty good with stuff like this and I didn't want to think I was losing my touch.

pbnelson
2012-01-28, 21:40
Worked great until today. Must have broken in the last day or so. Youtube URL's are recognized and show correct title plus thumbnail. Attempting to play them causes playback timer to count between 1 to 5 seconds and then reset to zero. Never any audio. Time for plugin update, I suspect. Bummer.

p.s. Huge thanks to Triode for getting this out there in the first place. It has rejuvenated my music life. Have you noticed that *every* song is on youtube? Now if only they were all high quality...

icdoo
2012-01-29, 12:37
I am using Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.0 - r33614 with the youtube .13 plugin but keep getting the "No streams found" error. Can someone pint me in the right direction?

mister
2012-01-29, 15:12
I have exactly the same problem.
SB 7.7.1
youtube plugin 0.13
Youtube Search ok
Stream dosent work
It starts, and then stops after 5 sec without any sound.

Please help..

mister
2012-01-29, 15:56
Who is the developer of the YouTube plugin?

pippin
2012-01-29, 16:11
Triode, he opened this thread
I did send him an e-mail, he usually reads up here a lot so he's probably busy, traveling or something like that.

mister
2012-01-30, 16:03
Is it not possible to find the http string and change it in a XML file or something, or is it only Triode who can change it? Strange that logitech dosent create this plugin as a default plugin in squeezeserver. Triode is the one who makes squeezebox to what it is!!

Also read a article in the newspaper that sonos now have integrated spotify in there solution.. And without the need for the PC to be turned ON. They have signed up with spotify recently..

paulster
2012-01-30, 16:19
Also read a article in the newspaper that sonos now have integrated spotify in there solution.. And without the need for the PC to be turned ON. They have signed up with spotify recently..

You'll find that if you have a Radio or a Touch (i.e. one of the devices with a colour screen) there is an official Logitech Spotify plugin which will run on these without requiring the use of the other Spotify plugin that runs under LMS. The older IP3K devices don't have the horsepower or RAM to support it though.

Logitech also support MOG which, in my experience, is superior to Spotify anyway.

Not that any of this is relevant to the topic at hand.

pippin
2012-01-30, 23:32
Strange that logitech dosent create this plugin as a default plugin in squeezeserver.

In the case of YouTube i'S not strange at all and Logitech probably never will make that plugin.

Triode is the one who makes squeezebox to what it is!!

Yep. HE and some other 3rd party developers too. Because Squeezebox is a system with a pretty open architecture and a strong 3rd party community. That's what it is and only 3rd party developers can make it that.

traveller23
2012-02-01, 23:35
hi,

is it possible to login with my youtube account and play my Youtube-playlists?

thanks!

smitti_
2012-02-04, 10:06
Hi, I've got the same problem for about 1 week now.
You can search for the songs, add them to the playlist (also name is displayed), but it does not play.
@Triode: Do you already have an idea whats could be the problem?

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 - r33751
Youtube 0.13

MikeDC
2012-02-04, 16:54
I've really enjoyed using this plugin too. Hope someone gets it working again. I would also love to see it enhanced so it can link to my YouTube account and access my favorites, etc.

mister
2012-02-04, 17:16
He is the only solution...

bpa
2012-02-05, 01:56
He is the only solution...

No - the last patch for similar breakdown was done by glambx see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=648339&postcount=72

so fixes can come from anyone.

mister
2012-02-06, 14:17
Can you please tell me how to install this patch?

paulster
2012-02-06, 15:01
That was the patch for the last issue, not this one.

There isn't a solution yet.

mister
2012-02-06, 15:04
We can only hope Mr. Triode will show up soon:))

pbnelson
2012-02-07, 15:50
I haven't given up hope. I check back every day. Go get 'em, Triode!

verypsb
2012-02-14, 23:45
Any news? I did like this plugin :-(

MikeDC
2012-02-17, 14:52
Hey guys,

If anyone is interested, I wrote a simple patch that fixes the issue. I sent it to someone who knows the developer and he said he'd forward it to him.

If anyone wants, you can apply the patch locally to:

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube/ProtocolHandler.pm

ie.

cd /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube/ProtocolHandler.pm
patch < ProtocolHandler.pm.patch

I've also included a pre-patched version.

Otherwise, hang tight.. I'm sure a new version will pop up soon. :)

Hey there,

I know you came to the rescue the last time this plugin needed work. As you probably know, it's not working again and so many are hungry for it's return to service!

Hope you can help again!

MikeDC

texas0478
2012-02-19, 11:27
Hi,

I am lookign for some support RE: the youtube plugin + my DS509+ NAS.

The plugin only works on an occasional basis: sometimes it plays youtube perfectly, but more often it starts to displays as if it played the first 3 or 7 seconds, then gets back to 0, while there is no sound at all.

Since I was a couple of times able to make it work in a perfect quality, I think the NAS itself is able to provide the necessary processing power/resources.

Can you pls help me what could be the reason behind this strange phenomenon? I also tried reducing the quality in the settings tab, but it apperantly has no effect on the success of the playback.

Thank you, Best

Gergő

djbloc
2012-02-19, 18:05
After installing the plugin today and finding out afterwards it didn't worked :( I decided to roll my sleeves up and have a go at fixing it. I've taken a copy of v0.13 and I've created a new version that is working for me (tested on v7.6.1).

Many thanks to the previous contributors to this plugin.

Changelog for v0.14:

- Fixed "no streams errors" so Youtube videos now play
- Updated menu icon

Hope it works for you. Let me know how you get along, send me a PM.

paulster
2012-02-19, 18:48
I didn't get prompted for a restart after upgrading the plugin (I don't know whether this is under your control), although I did after adding your repository.

It didn't work straight off, but as soon as I manually initiated a restart it's worked just fine. Thanks for taking the initiative and working on this.

The 'YouTube URL' paste box still doesn't work but that seems to have broken when the URL format changed some time ago. I've given up hope of Triode fixing that one!

pippin
2012-02-19, 19:05
@djbloc

Cool! Many thanks!

One thing: I'm currently hosting the 0.13 version of the plugin. Do you want to continue to maintain it? In this case I would take the repo down on my server and ask the default repo link to be changed (in the 3rd party plugins section).

On the icon: please drop me a PM or e-mail.

djbloc
2012-02-20, 14:36
It didn't work straight off, but as soon as I manually initiated a restart it's worked just fine. Thanks for taking the initiative and working on this.

Thanks for trying it out and letting others know it works.

The 'YouTube URL' paste box still doesn't work but that seems to have broken when the URL format changed some time ago. I've given up hope of Triode fixing that one!

I'm no expert and make no promises but if you send me a PM on the steps you take, the outcome you get and the outcome you would expect I'll try to have a look for you.

djbloc
2012-02-20, 14:38
@pippin

I'll help support the plugin whilst it is viable. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks
djbloc

atlslim
2012-02-21, 08:33
@pippin

I'll help support the plugin whilst it is viable. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks
djbloc

Great to have the plugin back!!

Thanks

Muele
2012-02-21, 11:38
Thanks djbloc. Greatly appreciated.

I was about to post a sort of rant about how 3rd party stuff being a big asset for the Squeeze ecosystem but also a tremendous weakness as whenever a thirdparty-developer decides to stop supporting his/her plug in we're screwed.

But then BAM comes another user and takes over maintenance of the plug in. Truly marvelous.

(Btw no blame on triode who originally developed the plug in. You can't expect someone to maintain the software they developed for free in their spare time.)

paulster
2012-02-21, 12:07
Thanks djbloc. Greatly appreciated.

I was about to post a sort of rant about how 3rd party stuff being a big asset for the Squeeze ecosystem but also a tremendous weakness as whenever a thirdparty-developer decides to stop supporting his/her plug in we're screwed.

But then BAM comes another user and takes over maintenance of the plug in. Truly marvelous.

I couldn't agree more.

(Btw no blame on triode who originally developed the plug in. You can't expect someone to maintain the software they developed for free in their spare time.)
I'm going to have to disagree wholeheartedly with you here.

Triode has known about this problem for a long time. He's been PMed about it, he should be subscribed to this thread and yet he's completely ignored it whilst trying to get users to help him test something new he's working on in another thread right at the moment.

As the developer of a plugin he has the responsibility knowing that it is broken to either:
1) fix it
2) find someone else to take over support, maintenance and, optionally, future development
3) withdraw the plugin

Knowing that it's been broken for months he's done none of the above.

So I know where I won't be looking for any future plugins if this is how they will be supported when he gets bored with them.

pippin
2012-02-21, 12:36
@djbloc

You've got more PMs... :)

pippin
2012-02-21, 12:40
So I know where I won't be looking for any future plugins if this is how they will be supported when he gets bored with them.

Please don't comment on things where you don't know the background. I can assure you this has nothing to do with him being bored or something and it's specific to this plugin.
You really can't blame him, he never even took that iPad I originally offered in return for this plugin, which is how it all started (and I've asked him more than once!).

And yes, hadn't djbloc not fixed it, I'd have pulled it within a week, Triode can't since it's me hosting it (the old version).

And no, it hasn't been broken "for months", it's been a few weeks only.

End of discussion for me.

paulster
2012-02-21, 13:01
Please don't comment on things where you don't know the background. I can assure you this has nothing to do with him being bored or something and it's specific to this plugin.

Then he should have responded to this thread with a statement of intent, rather than leaving users hanging. It's not like he hasn't had the opportunity since he's clearly been active looking for support with his latest project.

Let me ask you, would you leave it that long to say something if iPeng broke? No, I don't think so.

And no, it hasn't been broken "for months", it's been a few weeks only.

Try reading the thread. One of the really useful parts (paste YouTube URL) broke last year and has been referenced here more than once. Triode has been made aware of directly that too and done nothing.

djbloc
2012-02-21, 13:26
@paulster

I've no interest in what has or hasn't happened in the past or who done what. Everyone in this forum are strangers to me so I have no loyalty but I can assure you, your words of "encouragement" will get you nowhere, fast.

If you would like me to look into the issue I would refrain from making any further comments on this matter. The choice is yours.

Cheers
djbloc

Muele
2012-02-21, 13:37
I was never able to get the pasting of links to work. Were they supposed to be in specific format?

pippin
2012-02-21, 13:38
Then he should have responded to this thread with a statement of intent, rather than leaving users hanging. It's not like he hasn't had the opportunity since he's clearly been active looking for support with his latest project.

I told you I will not comment on this anymore.

Let me ask you, would you leave it that long to say something if iPeng broke? No, I don't think so.

I'm taking money for iPeng, that's a difference.

Try reading the thread. One of the really useful parts (paste YouTube URL) broke last year and has been referenced here more than once. Triode has been made aware of directly that too and done nothing.

And he's actually trying to help on it. It's not a problem of the plugin but of the server, if I understand this correctly.

pippin
2012-02-21, 14:19
OK, the plugin should now be updated in the 3rd party plugins section, too.

djbloc
2012-02-22, 13:16
OK, the plugin should now be updated in the 3rd party plugins section, too.

Thanks, pippin

Chunkywizard
2012-02-22, 16:07
thanks for fixing, greatly appreciated here, especially since it's free

CW

pbnelson
2012-02-23, 13:13
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 - r33750
YouTube (v0.14)

Same problem as before, namely, timer counts up for a few seconds then resets to zero and stops. Song title and thumbnail display okay, so something obviously works, but no music ever plays, not even for the first few seconds.

SOLUTION: I removed triode and ipeng servers from my "additional repositories" list. I unchecked the YouTube (v0.14) plugin on the server settings page then restarted. Then I went back to the plugins page, re-checked YouTube, answered yes to the install question, and restarted again. Now it works. Note that these same steps were unsuccessful until I removed triode and ipeng servers from my "additional repositories" list. This is a bit confusing, as the displayed version was definitely v0.14 and not v0.13, but I'm glad to have it working again.

pippin
2012-02-23, 17:58
Maybe the server is getting confused because if you've got the iPeng repo in there it finds the same plugin twice. The plugin is in the iPeng reo AND in the default "3rd party plugins" repo so you can permanently remove the iPeng repo.

fillmore
2012-02-27, 20:10
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 - r33750
YouTube (v0.14)

Same problem as before, namely, timer counts up for a few seconds then resets to zero and stops. Song title and thumbnail display okay, so something obviously works, but no music ever plays, not even for the first few seconds.

SOLUTION: I removed triode and ipeng servers from my "additional repositories" list. I unchecked the YouTube (v0.14) plugin on the server settings page then restarted. Then I went back to the plugins page, re-checked YouTube, answered yes to the install question, and restarted again. Now it works. Note that these same steps were unsuccessful until I removed triode and ipeng servers from my "additional repositories" list. This is a bit confusing, as the displayed version was definitely v0.14 and not v0.13, but I'm glad to have it working again.

i tried this fix, but it didnt work. maybe because i havent updated in a while? currently running... 7.5.2 - r31632.

MikeDC
2012-02-28, 11:03
I uninstalled and then re-installed the YouTube plugin and it seems to be working again!! I never had other alternative repos listed.

texas0478
2012-03-10, 16:20
Dear All,

I am running YouTube Plugin v0.14 on a Synology NAS (DS109+, DSM4.0-2018, Logitech Media Server 7.7.1-001) + Logitech Squeezebox Duet.

When I select a youtube clip, the artwork and other info is displayed correctly (though the clip length seems to be 0:00 until I press play, then it would display the correct length), however, there is no sound at all and the playback stops after some 3-5 seconds and goes back to the beginning.

Many Logitech versions ago I used to be able to run the plugin successfully at least once, yet then it started to produce the same symptoms as described. This would tell me that the Synology hardware is theoretically able to handle the issue.

I tried the several suggestions found in this forum (ie. uninstall/reinstall the plugin, look for any other ipeng/... repo and if found, uncheck/remove them), yet the problem exists.

Since this plugin would "crown" the Squeezebox functionality, I would be very-very grateful for any fix or update.

Thank, peace

Gergő / Budapest / Hungary

argon
2012-06-19, 02:54
Dear All,

I am running YouTube Plugin v0.14 on a Synology NAS (DS109+, DSM4.0-2018, Logitech Media Server 7.7.1-001) + Logitech Squeezebox Duet.

When I select a youtube clip, the artwork and other info is displayed correctly (though the clip length seems to be 0:00 until I press play, then it would display the correct length), however, there is no sound at all and the playback stops after some 3-5 seconds and goes back to the beginning.

Many Logitech versions ago I used to be able to run the plugin successfully at least once, yet then it started to produce the same symptoms as described. This would tell me that the Synology hardware is theoretically able to handle the issue.

I tried the several suggestions found in this forum (ie. uninstall/reinstall the plugin, look for any other ipeng/... repo and if found, uncheck/remove them), yet the problem exists.

Since this plugin would "crown" the Squeezebox functionality, I would be very-very grateful for any fix or update.

Thank, peace

Gergő / Budapest / Hungary

I got the same problem. The Youtube v0.14 plugin doesn't work ... :-( Anyone a solution (i tried the other "solutions" here explained).

charlesr
2012-06-26, 11:22
https://torrentfreak.com/google-threatens-to-sue-huge-youtube-mp3-conversion-site-120619/

This plugin might be upsetting google, although not quite on the same scale :D

Mnyb
2012-06-26, 12:19
https://torrentfreak.com/google-threatens-to-sue-huge-youtube-mp3-conversion-site-120619/

This plugin might be upsetting google, although not quite on the same scale :D

Interesting that people use YouTube as a source of music for real ? I liked this plugin for novelty value and party tricks, playing fun stuff found there .
but most videos sound horribly bad even on the computer speakers ? Or on a boom or radio .

Wonder if the plugin really broke the ToS ,you are only streaming and no ripped file aviable , it works by streaming the whole video ,but the visual content is only enjoyed by the gremlins inside your server , so the yes video and audio separates before presentation to the cloth eared YouTube aficionado :D but you could just turn off your computer screen to ? When using it on the pc .
But If the video was directed at a graphic resource on the server/pc ? What gives can anyone force you to connect a monitor.

kwolfinger
2012-09-13, 14:33
YouTube Plugin v0.14 seems to be exhibiting the same issues that users experienced back in February. I have noticed this today. Can anybody else confirm that they are having the same troubles?
Everything works but the streaming of the clip. It plays a couple of seconds (no sound can be heared, though), and then it stops.

I noticed the problem today (on different hosts and on different LMSs) - Please, god, this app is so great. Hope there are Perl specialists out there who can fix this quickly.

Nick L.
2012-09-13, 15:43
Hello kwolfinger,

you are not alone - I have the same problem...
It seems Youtube tries to block again.

Cheers
Nick

05mattjax
2012-09-14, 11:38
Hello kwolfinger,

you are not alone - I have the same problem...
It seems Youtube tries to block again.

Cheers
Nick

Is this the 'no stream found' issue if so I have it now. Is there a workaround?

Nick L.
2012-09-15, 01:48
Is this the 'no stream found' issue if so I have it now. Is there a workaround?

Yes, I was talking about the "no stream found" issue. Unfortunately, I have no workaround.

Simon_rb
2012-09-16, 09:03
Hi All,

I rarely use this app as I have spotify which has most of the songs I need. However today I cockerly fired up the app in front of friends and found the song in question however it wouldn't play (no streams found).

Hope there is a fix and the developer is around..

Cheers

verypsb
2012-09-16, 13:17
I hope someone will find the time to fix this plugin...

BrynClarke
2012-09-16, 15:13
..since a few days ago. Is anyone looking at this issue?

cuberob
2012-09-18, 11:17
Same issue here! Really hope it get's fixed. Probably just some API change on google/youtube side of things, shouldn't be too hard to fix i guess..? But where is the developer :)

sweiss
2012-09-22, 11:04
Same issue here! Really hope it get's fixed. Probably just some API change on google/youtube side of things, shouldn't be too hard to fix i guess..? But where is the developer :)

It looks like other opensource AV systems have the same issue... However, one of them has fixed their plugin and here are the code differences:
https://github.com/facanferff/showtime-plugin-youtube/commit/6f1f0290a8a9adaf60fe13f7b6c90a40944e4390

Hopefully this will help Triode or Pippin (or anyone else who knows how the plugin works) to fix the Squeezebox plugin.

pippin
2012-09-22, 11:52
Thanks. Would currently probably be djbloc.

murkle
2012-09-28, 02:36
Hi I've fixed the playback issue (with help from some Perl Monks)..

here is patch: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=STYz03ut

I'm no Perl expert so I probably didn't need to create the %stream_hash, but I didn't know how not to!

..sitting enjoying ridiculous music from the internet again..

Chunkywizard
2012-09-28, 04:18
Hi there,

can anyone explain how to patch the plugin?

CW

murkle
2012-09-28, 04:40
Are you running SBS on linux?

then if you can ssh in, it's a case of typing the following (ignoring the $ or #, and stuff in {} brackets ).

$ sudo -s
# cd /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube {might be different on your server}
# wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=STYz03ut -O YouTube.patch
# cat YouTube.patch {make sure it looks sane}
# patch ProtocolHandler.pm < YouTube.patch
# rm YouTube.patch

then restart SBS.

If it's a window machine, then I'm not so sure. I could maybe put the whole file on pastebin?

hopefully the dev will release a fix soon.

murkle
2012-09-28, 04:43
If it's a window machine, then I'm not so sure. I could maybe put the whole file on pastebin?

hopefully the dev will release a fix soon.
Frack, I just saw you're running windows. here's a copy of the file you could store to the Plugins/YouTube folder, which is maybe in C:\Program Files\Logitech ?
Make sure you replace the existing ProtocolHandler.pm file with this one, renaming the new one as neccessary.

http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=N2yVLsT4

murkle
2012-09-28, 04:56
This plugin still displays the same behaviour as before (which is sometimes you need to hit Play twice before the track starts). Might try and fix that rainy day..

Chunkywizard
2012-09-28, 06:52
Thanks for this. I downloaded and renamed the file and put it at:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\You Tube

I then restarted LMS and bingo, all is good with the world!

CW

pippin
2012-09-28, 07:11
OK, let me see over the weekend that I get the plugin in the repo updated...

05mattjax
2012-09-28, 07:14

then if you can ssh in

Is this just a case of using PuTTY or do I need to activate a plugin or something on SBS.

att666
2012-09-29, 03:40
The posted patch works fine.
I had to edit the YouTube.patch with a blank lin eat the end, before it could be applied using 'patch' cmd on Debian Linux.

Thanks for assisting.

/Att

sweiss
2012-09-30, 19:41
Hi I've fixed the playback issue (with help from some Perl Monks)..

here is patch: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=STYz03ut

I'm no Perl expert so I probably didn't need to create the %stream_hash, but I didn't know how not to!

..sitting enjoying ridiculous music from the internet again..

I finally got a chance to install the patch and the plugin works once again.. Thanks for supplying the patch!

One note for anyone on Slackware; you just need to add a newline to the end of the patch file before applying it.

05mattjax
2012-09-30, 23:44

then if you can ssh in, it's a case of typing the following (ignoring the $ or #, and stuff in {} brackets ).

$ sudo -s
# cd /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/YouTube {might be different on your server}
# wget http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=STYz03ut -O YouTube.patch
# cat YouTube.patch {make sure it looks sane}
# rm YouTube.patch

then restart SBS.

Now about to do this. Do I remove the broken version of YouTube before I install this one?

paulster
2012-09-30, 23:49
No, you're going to patch the existing one.

05mattjax
2012-10-01, 00:18
No, you're going to patch the existing one.

Thanks.

The /var/lib..... line returned file not found. Do you know how I can find the location of the installed YouTube plugin on my Linux nas (readynas ultra)

paulster
2012-10-01, 00:26
In the web interface, go into the Settings page (bottom right). Then choose the Information tab. Near the bottom you'll see the plugins directories. It'll be one of those.

pippin
2012-10-05, 17:26
OK, I've updated the plugin in my repo to version 0.15.
You can now download it if you add my repo XML file (it will then update to the new version) or wait until somebody updates the official repo to reflect the change.
I've mailed Erland so it's probably going to be sometime tomorrow.

The repo URL is
http://pluginrepository.penguinlovesmusic.de/pluginrepo.xml

pippin
2012-10-06, 05:46
OK, the update should now also be available through the main repository.

@murkle: Thanks for the fix!!!!

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 03:17
Hi

How do you install the YouTube Squeezebox plug-in ? Its not listed in the LMS settings -> Plugins.

Thanks

kidstypike
2012-10-07, 03:23
Hi

How do you install the YouTube Squeezebox plug-in ? Its not listed in the LMS settings -> Plugins.

Thanks

Have you expanded "Other 3rd party plugins" and "Recommended 3rd party plugins"?

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 03:30
Hi

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes I have expanded Recommended 3rd party plug-ins but I can't see YouTube listed at all, see screen shot.

Show all 3rd party plug-ins check box at the bottom is also checked.

Cheers

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 03:34
I've found it now under Other 3rd Party plug-ins. I could not see this before, I just checked the box that says: Update Plugins automatically, after I did this the entire section called Other 3rd party plug-ins then became visible, which seemed a bit strange.

Anyway's I can see YouTube listed now so will turn it on, will I be able to play my existing Youtube playlists on the Squeezebox ?

Thanks

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:05
Looks like I can't login to my YouTube account and access the playlists I have created ?

I can search for playlists however, presumably these are playlists other users have created ?

There is no Settings link against the YouTube plugin, in the LMS settings - plugin tab.

pippin
2012-10-07, 04:11
I don't think it supports authentication

EDIT: Oh, and it does have a settings category (under "advanced") but there's only a setting to use low-bitrate streams in there.

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:15
Using the Playlist search option and searching against my YouTube username I have found the playlist that my wife created on my account called "Thai Music"

So I now just need a way to pin this playlist so she can have an easier way of finding it again ?

Thanks

kidstypike
2012-10-07, 04:18
Using the Playlist search option and searching against my YouTube username I have found the playlist that my wife created on my account called "Thai Music"

So I now just need a way to pin this playlist so she can have an easier way of finding it again ?

Thanks

Click on the "Heart" icon, save it as a favourite?

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:24
Click on the "Heart" icon, save it as a favourite?

I'd have to press the heart icon on each song in her playlist, which I can do, this would then add those songs to the favourites area, but my favourites are also in there, so our music is then mixed together.

Any other ideas?

I am surprised you can't login with the YouTube plugin and easily access your playlists.

Thanks

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:28
I have just seen you can create new folders under favourites. I created a new folder called "Thai Music". However when I press the heart icon next to a song I get no option of what folder to save it in to? And the song is just added to the root of favourites. How can I put these songs in to the "Thai Music' sub folder ?

EDIT: OK seems you have to cut the song from the Favourites root go in to the sub folder and then paste, which is a bit of a pain but as there are not many songs in her playlist yet its OK.

If anyone knows of a better way to play YouTube playlists please let us know.

kidstypike
2012-10-07, 04:39
I'd have to press the heart icon on each song in her playlist, which I can do, this would then add those songs to the favourites area, but my favourites are also in there, so our music is then mixed together.

Any other ideas?

I am surprised you can't login with the YouTube plugin and easily access your playlists.

Thanks

Sorry, I thought they were playlists, I don't read Tiawanese.

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:40
OK so I have cut an paste all the songs from her YouTube playlist in to a new Favourites sub folder.

Now how do you play all the songs?

Seems I have to click play or add to current playlist on each song individually. Can I not just play the entire "Thai Music" favourites sub folder?

pippin
2012-10-07, 04:45
I would store the tracks in a stored playlist, then it's easier to play them in a row. Just add each track from the YouTube playlist to the current playlist and then save it.

I believe the only way to play all favorites is with iPeng.

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:47
There is also a bug !

In the YouTube plugin-in if you use the search Playlists option, my search results for the keyword "cwkidz" (my username) can be seen in the screen shot. The only item related to me an my YouTube account is the "Thai Music" result. Everything else is other users stuff.

In these search results if I click on the one called "Thai Music" it loads the wrong playlist, it actually loads the one above called "Vortexx"

If I click on the playlist called "Viva Pinata new episodes.(Some)" then our "Thai Music" play list is loaded.

What I'd like to see is when you highlight a YouTube playlist as shown in the screen shot, is to have an option to play the whole playlist from there, instead you have to click in to the playlist and then you only have the option to play the songs individually.

EDIT: I am using Google Chrome btw. Just tried in Internet Explorer and it does the same thing loading the wrong playlist "Vortexx" when I click on the "Thai Music" one.

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 04:48
I would store the tracks in a stored playlist, then it's easier to play them in a row. Just add each track from the YouTube playlist to the current playlist and then save it.

I believe the only way to play all favorites is with iPeng.

Thanks that's what I thought I'd have to do, add each song to the current playlist and then save.

We do use iPeng I will have a look at that as well.

pippin
2012-10-07, 05:02
That bug looks familiar. I think that has been there before, thought it was fixed. Maybe YouTube introduced some new artifact in the search results

iPeng handles favorites as a playlist by default although I'm not 100% sure what it does to subfolders.

cw-kid
2012-10-07, 05:06
That bug looks familiar. I think that has been there before, thought it was fixed. Maybe YouTube introduced some new artifact in the search results

The strange thing is some of them load the correct playlist when you click on them, for example

If you click on these playlists:

CWKids
CW4Kids-Toonzai Videos 2012
Viva Pinata Episodes and more.
the cw 4kids toonzai & new vortexx

It loads the correct playlist, its not until you get down to the playlist called "Vortexx" that things start to go wrong, if you click on "Vortexx" it loads the first playlist in the list called "CWKids"

And then if you click on our playlist "Thai Music" it loads the "Vortexx" playlist.

I have to click on to the playlist called "Viva Pinata new episodes.(Some)" to load our "Thai Music" playlist.

pippin
2012-10-07, 07:39
I believe in the past the problem was that the list changes if you try to access it twice or something like that.

Nuukee
2012-10-16, 08:25
OK, I've updated the plugin in my repo to version 0.15.
http://pluginrepository.penguinlovesmusic.de/pluginrepo.xml

Many thanks, works again for me :-) *happy* :-)

smitti_
2012-10-19, 10:50
Hi,
i newly set up my server and re-installed the latest version of LMS (Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.2 - r33908).
Now after adding the youtube plugin v0.15, i have the problem that i can search and add songs, but it isn't played.
I've removed and added the plugin several times, always restarting the LMS, but it brought no success

HeadBanger
2012-10-21, 05:03
I've tried using youtube but every time I add a song to a playlist when triggered it then plays something completely different from youtube. Very odd.
This is using ipeng and LMS 7.8.
Any ideas anyone?

pippin
2012-10-21, 05:57
Is it maybe the same thing mentioned above by cw-kid?

smitti_
2012-10-22, 10:25
I've just tried to update my system and tried again, but there is the same error, that the songs can be added, but they are not played.
I couldn't find anything in the logfiles:

/var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log
/var/log/messages

are there some more logfiles, which i can check?
Or has anyone an idea what could be the problem?

smitti_
2012-10-23, 22:10
I finally managed to run the Youtube plugin again. I searched the whole cache folder (/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache) for files with the content "Youtube" and cleared them with caution :-)

grep -R youtube /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache

I think the problem was the file with a random number in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/templates. I just deleted it.

MikeDC
2012-11-03, 12:32
Is there a way to pass your YouTube ID and password to this plugin so that it plays playlists and favorites you have marked on YouTube?

Thanks.

icebird
2012-12-16, 07:00
Hi there,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to install the youtube plugin direct on the squeezebox without needing to use the "logitec media server" ?

Mnyb
2012-12-16, 07:34
Hi there,

can anyone tell me if it is possible to install the youtube plugin direct on the squeezebox without needing to use the "logitec media server" ?

No it's not possible ,plugins installs in logitech media server .

datja
2012-12-21, 13:34
Thanks for a great plugin, which increases the WAF of my dual Squeezebox system.

When I first started using this plugin I had to use the ProtocolHandler.pm patch which murkle provided in this thread. However, as of some days ago, the same problem has returned: the plugin refuses to produce any sound. I tried to update to the latest version of the plugin, to no avail.

I guess that some patching is needed. Please tell me how to do it

bengaldave
2012-12-24, 22:05
Hello,

Just found this plugin, and others, installed this plugin, I can search videos, see a still from the video on the squeezebox radio.

But I get an error, no stream found.

Applied a patch that was listed in this thread. Rebooted etc, still no says, no stream found.

I am on a synology ds412+

doubleugk
2012-12-26, 05:39
From time 2 time this error occurs and it's not possible to listen to music provided by youtube. This error get fixed by the time until it occurs again. I don't know who's taking care about fixing the problem and why the error occurs repeatedly. Maybe someone can tell us the reason.

pippin
2012-12-26, 06:42
The reason is that YouTube keeps changing their URL schemes and then the plugin needs to be adapted.
It's always been different people fixing it, so far.

fredbloggs
2012-12-26, 18:23
Hi Pippin,

I know you've fixed it in the past, don't suppose you can offer another community post christmas present :) ?

Also, since this is something that happens quite a lot is it quite straightforward for us to do ourselves, can't find a Wiki on the youtube plugin. I really don't know what's involved as to whether it's a ten minute or two hour job.

Thanks

Mark

pippin
2012-12-26, 18:26
No, that's wrong, I have never fixed it.
I only applied the patch somebody else developed (you can read it up further up this thread) and created a new version to make it available for automatic updates.

I generally don't do Perl :)

fredbloggs
2012-12-26, 18:34
No, that's wrong, I have never fixed it.
I only applied the patch somebody else developed (you can read it up further up this thread) and created a new version to make it available for automatic updates.

I generally don't do Perl :)

Just saw that on page 17 of this forum, hopefully someone understands it all a bit better, looks like more than a simple thing as well :(

Hopefully there's another jolly person out there that feels like giving us a christmas present then :)

HeadBanger
2013-01-06, 12:31
Any news on this? Is it possible to update this great app and get it working again?

murkle
2013-01-08, 16:24
Any news on this? Is it possible to update this great app and get it working again?

I'm working on it - I was hoping someone with actual perl skills would pick this up...

fredbloggs
2013-01-08, 17:00
I'm working on it - I was hoping someone with actual perl skills would pick this up...

In the future, to make us a little more independent, I don't suppose you could update the WIKI (wherever it is now) with a little description of your process so that we can try and resolve ourselves (although I suspect it's beyond me) but may give a brief idea to someone.

:)

sorry, thanks for being a star...

murkle
2013-01-08, 17:04
In the future, to make us a little more independent, I don't suppose you could update the WIKI (wherever it is now) with a little description of your process so that we can try and resolve ourselves (although I suspect it's beyond me) but may give a brief idea to someone.

:)

sorry, thanks for being a star...

sorry - this isn't my project & I know nothing about Perl. I managed to fix the last problem purely by hacking regular expressions until it worked again. You can probably see that from my patch for the last time this broke.

murkle
2013-01-10, 06:36
fixed playback again, it's not a pretty fix but I think the parameters are required in a particular order.

THINK meaning that I haven't verified this and can't be bothered either, it works.

download a zip of the plugin from here https://nodeload.github.com/murklegit/squeeze-yt/zip/master

murkle
2013-01-10, 06:48
It's all working now, updated the zip file

bengaldave
2013-01-11, 12:23
Hello,

I am not in front of my server right now. I would like to do this tonight when I go home.

Installing: Is it just downloading the zip file to somewhere, and then ...?

Is there an option in the plugins page to browse the file system to grab the download?

My server is on a Linux based Synology system, the ds412+

Thanks in advance.

tmp_t1
2013-01-11, 15:13
Hello,

I am not in front of my server right now. I would like to do this tonight when I go home.

Installing: Is it just downloading the zip file to somewhere, and then ...?

Is there an option in the plugins page to browse the file system to grab the download?

My server is on a Linux based Synology system, the ds412+

Thanks in advance.

I unzipped the file in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/ (debian linux) and it worked!

tephlon
2013-01-12, 02:55
<tl;dr>Could the problem be that the plugin does not follow 302 redirects?</tl;dr>

I installed murkle's patched plugin yesterday - thank you for trying to solve the problem! - but it still didn't work for me. So, in frustration I had a quick look at the ProtocolHandler.pm module and switched on debug logging for the plugin. I noticed that the plugin logged that the stream ended, immediately after it had started to read it (or tried to open it). So, I had a look at the network traffic using tcpdump and wireshark.

The plugin makes a few requests, first downloading the youtube video page, from which it parses out the relevant video urls. After some steps it tries to start a video stream, which it will read the audio from on the fly. What happened in the packet dumps that I got, was that it sent an http request for the video stream, but got a 302 response from the server, after which it just logged that the stream ended. I guess it tried to read the video stream data from the 302 response (oops), instead of actually following the redirect.

The ProtocolHandler.pm module uses the Slim::Networking::SimpleAsyncHTTP module for fetching the urls. Looking at that module, it only has code for 304 responses, which might explain it all. On the other hand, the Slim::Networking::SimpleAsyncHTTP module does load the Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP module, which has support for redirects. I'm not a Perl person so I cannot see if it actually uses that code - I assume it's not, since it doesn't follow the redirects :p

The redirects I noticed in my few test cases was that I got redirected to a stream url which only differed from the original url by the appending of the string "&ir=1&rr=12". From this I made the probably moronic change

#$url .="&signature=$props{signature}";
$url .="&signature=$props{signature}&ir=1&rr=12";
to ProtocolHandler.pm, and now my plugin works again :p

I got to thinking, could this problem - not following redirects - explain the problems with this plugin? Or I've misunderstood everything :p

bengaldave
2013-01-12, 10:16
Hello,

The plugin is currently working for me.

Thanks!

Are there any settings to be able to save a channel so I do not have to search for the channel every time?

It seems I can favorite 1 song/video, but not a channel.

My brother-in-law has a channel of all his kids playing music.

How can I have easy access to his youtube channel?

Here is a youtube link of my niece playing at a recital:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8TQ9G_Zv8&list=UUQHpIlU-zY0kozS3R6T8j6g&index=2

murmur
2013-01-12, 21:02
It works for me too. Thanks murkle!

Of course, it still has the behavior where playback pauses twice near the beginning of each track. Not sure if that's one of the 'problems' you're referring to, tephlon. I always figured that's a Youtube idiosyncrasy, since it's obvious that the network rate isn't sufficient to maintain a buffer for a period of time before the pause.

tephlon
2013-01-13, 05:32
It works for me too. Thanks murkle!

Of course, it still has the behavior where playback pauses twice near the beginning of each track. Not sure if that's one of the 'problems' you're referring to, tephlon. I always figured that's a Youtube idiosyncrasy, since it's obvious that the network rate isn't sufficient to maintain a buffer for a period of time before the pause.
Yes, that's correct; having to press play several times, but also getting the no streams found message. I got the no streams found message every time it got a 302 response code. I find it quite possible that this is also the cause for having to press play several times; sometimes you redirected somewhere, sometimes not.

I'm even thinking that some of the patching might have had the same root cause - not following redirects - but the fixes tried to parse out a better url instead. I'm really just guessing here, I like simple explanations :)

murmur
2013-01-13, 09:17
Yes, that's correct; having to press play several times, but also getting the no streams found message. I got the no streams found message every time it got a 302 response code. I find it quite possible that this is also the cause for having to press play several times; sometimes you redirected somewhere, sometimes not.

I'm even thinking that some of the patching might have had the same root cause - not following redirects - but the fixes tried to parse out a better url instead. I'm really just guessing here, I like simple explanations :)

I'm actually thinking of a *different* issue (although I've certainly seen playback terminate and require another start-click) where playback simply pauses and then starts up again ~five seconds later from the same spot. That one seems like it's just bandwidth insufficiency, since it happens when I'm actually looking at a Youtube page as well. The pause doesn't seem quite as "dependable" when I'm displaying video, though.

murkle
2013-01-14, 03:09
<tl;dr>Could the problem be that the plugin does not follow 302 redirects?</tl;dr>

I installed murkle's patched plugin yesterday - thank you for trying to solve the problem! - but it still didn't work for me. So, in frustration I had a quick look at the ProtocolHandler.pm module and switched on debug logging for the plugin. I noticed that the plugin logged that the stream ended, immediately after it had started to read it (or tried to open it). So, I had a look at the network traffic using tcpdump and wireshark.

The plugin makes a few requests, first downloading the youtube video page, from which it parses out the relevant video urls. After some steps it tries to start a video stream, which it will read the audio from on the fly. What happened in the packet dumps that I got, was that it sent an http request for the video stream, but got a 302 response from the server, after which it just logged that the stream ended. I guess it tried to read the video stream data from the 302 response (oops), instead of actually following the redirect.

The ProtocolHandler.pm module uses the Slim::Networking::SimpleAsyncHTTP module for fetching the urls. Looking at that module, it only has code for 304 responses, which might explain it all. On the other hand, the Slim::Networking::SimpleAsyncHTTP module does load the Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP module, which has support for redirects. I'm not a Perl person so I cannot see if it actually uses that code - I assume it's not, since it doesn't follow the redirects :p

The redirects I noticed in my few test cases was that I got redirected to a stream url which only differed from the original url by the appending of the string "&ir=1&rr=12". From this I made the probably moronic change

#$url .="&signature=$props{signature}";
$url .="&signature=$props{signature}&ir=1&rr=12";
to ProtocolHandler.pm, and now my plugin works again :p

I got to thinking, could this problem - not following redirects - explain the problems with this plugin? Or I've misunderstood everything :p

The problems I was fixing were '403 - Forbidden error messages', due to the urls not being generated properley. I just applied your change and it's made no difference whatsoever so I suppose it should go in if people are getting redirects often.

I still see the 'need to press play a couple of times' problem most of the time. I'm not sure what causes that, but its probably something more fundamental than just a malformed url.

tephlon
2013-01-14, 10:00
The problems I was fixing were '403 - Forbidden error messages', due to the urls not being generated properley. I just applied your change and it's made no difference whatsoever so I suppose it should go in if people are getting redirects often.

I still see the 'need to press play a couple of times' problem most of the time. I'm not sure what causes that, but its probably something more fundamental than just a malformed url.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that your patches didn't solve the problem they intended to solve, I apologize if it sounded like that.

My edit should most definitely not be added; it was a temporary fix for me when I was consistently being redirected (to the same url with the "&ir=1&rr=12" string appended) and the plugin didn't follow the redirection.

I'm still curious if the Slim::Networking::SimpleAsyncHTTP module uses enough of the Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP module to be able to follow redirects. If it does inherit "enough", I don't get why it didn't redirect in my case; and if it doesn't inherit the redirection code I think that might be the cause of some of the problems the plugin has been and is having.

murkle
2013-01-14, 16:35
Hi it didn't sound like that at all!
I'm curious too, its maybe worth asking in the developers forum if you fancy? Or I can do that at the weekend.

tephlon
2013-01-15, 12:49
Hi it didn't sound like that at all!
I'm curious too, its maybe worth asking in the developers forum if you fancy? Or I can do that at the weekend.
Good! :)

I asked a Perl person at work about how inheritance works in Perl; he didn't know, he's not that into OOP in Perl, but his Google-fu was better than mine, so we did find out that apparently
use base basemodule defines the base module. Unfortunately (for me) that means that the SimpleAsyncHTTP inherits Slim::Utils::Accessor, and that module looks like black magic to me.

Thanks for the pointer to the Developer forum. I searched for "SimpleAsyncHTTP" and found two (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?15089-error-callback-in-SimpleAsyncHTTP&p=44450&viewfull=1#post44450) posts (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?15089-error-callback-in-SimpleAsyncHTTP&p=44452&viewfull=1#post44452) that stated that it does follow redirects. I guess I have to have another look at it when/if it starts misbehaving again...

pippin
2013-01-19, 05:46
Ok, I've uploaded murkle's fixed version as 0.16 and the repos are updated so the fix should now become available as an update!

Thanks for looking into this!!

murkle
2013-01-19, 06:26
Ok, I've uploaded murkle's fixed version as 0.16 and the repos are updated so the fix should now become available as an update!

Thanks for looking into this!!

thanks!

b.lindahl
2013-01-22, 03:25
I get the Bad url-problem and tried to apply the patch as described earlier in the thread as the user murkle described. I get this problem though when applying the patch:

(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file ProtocolHandler.pm
Hunk #2 FAILED at 410.
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** unexpected end of file in patch at line 16

I'm running a debian server. Anyone have an idea how to resolve this? Could anyone paste the resulting file on linux somewhere? I tried to replace the file with the resulting one pasted for Windows but it didn't work unfortunately.

murkle
2013-01-22, 03:36
I get the Bad url-problem and tried to apply the patch as described earlier in the thread as the user murkle described. I get this problem though when applying the patch:

(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file ProtocolHandler.pm
Hunk #2 FAILED at 410.
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line
patch: **** unexpected end of file in patch at line 16

I'm running a debian server. Anyone have an idea how to resolve this? Could anyone paste the resulting file on linux somewhere? I tried to replace the file with the resulting one pasted for Windows but it didn't work unfortunately.

You don't need to patch, read pippin's message two messages up.

b.lindahl
2013-01-22, 03:42
You don't need to patch, read pippin's message two messages up.

Oh, sorry. I missed that post having going through the whole thread though.

It's weird though. According to the plugins page in the settings I have version 0.16 installed and the latest squeezeboxserver as well but still get Bad Youtube URL when pasting i an url (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0mtZapDH_Y)in the Youtube url input box. =/

murkle
2013-01-22, 03:46

It's weird though. According to the plugins page in the settings I have version 0.16 installed and the latest squeezeboxserver as well but still get Bad Youtube URL when pasting i an url (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0mtZapDH_Y)in the Youtube url input box. =/

i just tested and that does seem to be broken, searching works though

b.lindahl
2013-01-22, 03:58
Alright, good it's not just me then. Problem when searching though is that I get 500 hits when I search for a specific playlist (Epic house tracks). I guess 500 is maximum search hits since my playlist isn't among them. Any tip on how to search for specific name? Using quotation marks doesn't seem to work and neither plus sign between/before search terms.

murkle
2013-01-22, 04:01
Alright, good it's not just me then. Problem when searching though is that I get 500 hits when I search for a specific playlist (Epic house tracks). I guess 500 is maximum search hits since my playlist isn't among them. Any tip on how to search for specific name? Using quotation marks doesn't seem to work and neither plus sign between/before search terms.

sorry I don't have any tips, when I have time I'll look at direct url playing

pippin
2013-01-22, 05:33
The link itself is OK, I can play it with iPeng.
It also works when I paste it into the "play URL" field in the plugin or the one for Radios.
I didn't try the web interface, but what exactly did you do that doesn't work?

EDIT: OK, can reproduce it, even crashes the server for me.
Seems to somehow be related to the web UI processing of links. As said: if I play the link through iPeng, it works. But I'd have to check whether iPeng does some special link handling

pippin
2013-01-22, 09:16
Update: It seems to be the URL conversion iPeng does, indeed, that made it work.
I'd guess there's something wrong in the URL handling.

It works if you manually generate a youtube link of the for (this is the one from above), at least through the "tune in URL" link under Radios (didn't try the one in the plugin)

youtube://W0mtZapDH_Y

paulster
2013-01-22, 11:31

That's been broken for well over a year now. Nobody has taken a look at that part of the code. It's a shame because when you get a private (i.e. non-searchable) link it would be the only way to play it on Squeezebox.

pippin
2013-01-22, 11:39
Well, just change the link like in my example (extract the hash from the "v=<whatever>" token and build a youtube://<whatever> link).
That's what iPeng does to play YouTube links and it works well.

HeadBanger
2013-01-23, 16:28
Thanks murkle and Pippin - works again for me!

TheArchedOne
2013-01-26, 05:06
Hi. This sounds like a great plugin... I'm looking forward to getting it up and running, but can't seem to get there. Here are the steps I've taken...

1. downloaded the zip from https://github.com/murklegit/squeeze-yt
2. Extracted it to /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins
3. Restarted LMS

I expect to see the plugin in the Extras list (is this correct?), but its not there.

I also tried extracting the zip to /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins as suggested earlier in this thread, but that doesn't work earlier. (My other plugins are located in /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/Plugins).

And advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TAO