PDA

View Full Version : Using Squeezebox Server From Internet on Droid

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 02:50
My goal here is to be able to play my music library on my Droid, so I have access to all my music from anywhere there is an Internet connection. I have created the proper settings to use NAT and port forwarding on my firewall so I can access the server from outside of my LAN.

But whenever I read up on any Squeezebox control program, they either state they are wifi only, so they are connecting on my LAN, where they can find my system with SBS. But others don't state this and many cost to download. While it isn't much, it's frustrating to have to pay for apps and play around to find they don't work.

Is there a good Droid app that will let me control my SBS without a local wifi link -- in other words, I want to just specify my external IP address (and maybe the port) to the control app and have it communicate through my firewall with SBS and control it that way?

And, along that line, what is considered a good program on the Droid for listening to stream.mp3 that SBS can put out? (I suppose there's no single app that controls the SBS and plays back the MP3 stream, is there?)

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

pippin
2011-05-10, 03:23
SqueezeCommander works remotely.
For streaming, there isn't much choice: just SqueezePlayer, forget about using stream.mp3, this is much better.

For the setup, if you are having trouble have a look at this, it's written for iPeng but applies to the Android Apps in a similar way.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/

bluegaspode
2011-05-10, 03:42
Also in my opinion SqueezeCommander together with SqueezePlayer is the only couple that allows comfortable remote streaming+playback on Android.
(note that I am the author of SqueezePlayer, so definitely biased)

But just using stream.mp3 is horrible as you can try out with your browser and any remote in your local network.

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 10:59
Okay -- got the controller working. And thanks for the info on stream.mp3 being a bad audio source. Yeah, as you noticed in the other thread, I'm having serious problems with it. When I use the same URL through VLC, that works fine, but it won't work with a browser.

But I'm running into one problem with your program, so I'm going to dump that in your lap -- sorry!

Okay, I'll ask it here, but feel free to point me to your support forum.

I'm using SqueezePlayer and SqueezeCommander. I finally see I have access, through my firewall, for controlling SBS. But at the same time, on SqueezePlayer, with the same DynDNS domain and port, on SqueezePlayer, with Playback set to ON, I have this:

Server: (myserver.dyndns.org:9000)
Connection: 3G connecting...
Playback: Stopped

SBS does not see any connection, since no matter how I access SBS (web with a browser or SqueezeCommander), there is no sign of SqueezePlayer and it seems SqueezePlayer and SBS simply are not talking to each other. Should I be using a port other than 9000?

(Oh, I should add that for testing I'm not using authentication -- I'll add that later (are the usernames and passwords sent encrypted from SP and SC on the Droid?).

This is a simple thing like using another port or a config issue, right?

gruntwolla
2011-05-10, 11:56
bluegaspode Also in my opinion SqueezeCommander together with SqueezePlayer is the only couple that allows comfortable remote streaming+playback on Android.

Hi folks,
I've got a couple of questions to ask about setting up a VPN on Windows 7. I'm running Squeezecommander and Squeezeplayer on a htc desire,and it's all good,but I really want to be able to stream remotely over 3G.

I've had a look at Pippin's link,but as my server and all my music are on the family computer, I thought I'd forget the port forwarding option, and set up a VPN, and this is where my problems begin.

On Windows 7, I follow the instructions via control panel/change adapter settings/new incoming connection/add a new user/click the through the internet check box/highlight TCP/ipV4 and finally click allow access. I then get an error message - Windows could not create your connection, as the Routing and Remote access service was unable to start. Finally, I open task manager/services and get "access denied" when I try to start Remote Reg or Remote access.

I can supply more details specific to my system if needed,and a copy of the system log, but before I do that is there anything simple I'm missing?
Apologies if I should have posted this elsewhere, as I realise these are not strictly Squeezebox issues.
Regards,
Trevor

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 12:00
Gruntwolla,

You'll get more responses by starting a new thread, since this thread is on a specific topic and people will come here for that topic, not for one on Windows 7.

Starting a new and unrelated topic in another thread hides the new topic so many don't see it and it makes it harder for the issues connected with the original topic to get a resolution.

I'm not sure which forum is the best place for your topic, but it should be in a thread by itself.

pippin
2011-05-10, 12:16
Okay -- got the controller working. And thanks for the info on stream.mp3 being a bad audio source. Yeah, as you noticed in the other thread, I'm having serious problems with it. When I use the same URL through VLC, that works fine, but it won't work with a browser.

But I'm running into one problem with your program, so I'm going to dump that in your lap -- sorry!

Okay, I'll ask it here, but feel free to point me to your support forum.

I'm using SqueezePlayer and SqueezeCommander. I finally see I have access, through my firewall, for controlling SBS. But at the same time, on SqueezePlayer, with the same DynDNS domain and port, on SqueezePlayer, with Playback set to ON, I have this:

Server: (myserver.dyndns.org:9000)
Connection: 3G connecting...
Playback: Stopped

SBS does not see any connection, since no matter how I access SBS (web with a browser or SqueezeCommander), there is no sign of SqueezePlayer and it seems SqueezePlayer and SBS simply are not talking to each other. Should I be using a port other than 9000?

(Oh, I should add that for testing I'm not using authentication -- I'll add that later (are the usernames and passwords sent encrypted from SP and SC on the Droid?).

This is a simple thing like using another port or a config issue, right?

Indeed. You also need port 3483. have a look at the blob post I linked.

pippin
2011-05-10, 12:17
bluegaspode Also in my opinion SqueezeCommander together with SqueezePlayer is the only couple that allows comfortable remote streaming+playback on Android.

Hi folks,
I've got a couple of questions to ask about setting up a VPN on Windows 7. I'm running Squeezecommander and Squeezeplayer on a htc desire,and it's all good,but I really want to be able to stream remotely over 3G.

I've had a look at Pippin's link,but as my server and all my music are on the family computer, I thought I'd forget the port forwarding option, and set up a VPN, and this is where my problems begin.

On Windows 7, I follow the instructions via control panel/change adapter settings/new incoming connection/add a new user/click the through the internet check box/highlight TCP/ipV4 and finally click allow access. I then get an error message - Windows could not create your connection, as the Routing and Remote access service was unable to start. Finally, I open task manager/services and get "access denied" when I try to start Remote Reg or Remote access.

I can supply more details specific to my system if needed,and a copy of the system log, but before I do that is there anything simple I'm missing?
Apologies if I should have posted this elsewhere, as I realise these are not strictly Squeezebox issues.
Regards,
Trevor

I'd not use VPN on Win7 but I'd configure it in the router. It's usually simpler and I would regard it as more secure since if something breaks you've got network access but not yet access to the computer.

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 12:38
Pippin,

Yeah, I got my links confused - several open in different tabs, and I was just about to post that including that port in the NAT and port forwarding rules made a difference.

I now have SqueezeCommander and SqueezePlayer on my Droid. Squeezeplayer does see SBS and when I use the SBS web interface, I can see a new player, "HTC Eris," on it. However, when I first got that and then started using SqueezeCommander, "HTC Eris" was there, but at some point it disappeared and I can't get it back. SP says it is connected, but the HTC Eris player simply does NOT show up in SC anymore.

When it was showing up, I could get it to group with my home Squeezeboxes and play what they were playing, but I could not get it to play something else. (I'm mentioning that in case the symptom might explain something - I'm hoping when the phone shows up again as a player, it will behave.)

This is very frustrating, every time something seems to work, something else goes wrong. All the software is communicating, but the HTC Eris player just doesn't show up on SC.

bluegaspode
2011-05-10, 12:48
Hi HalNineThousand,

opening port 3483 was the first important step (I didn't find a better place yet where to put it in the App description but the end).
Now to your new troubles:

- Did you Sync the HTC Eris player with the other Squeezeboxes (if so - please unsync - via 3G this will definitely never work - even via WiFi syncing on Androids high latency sound layer won't work).
- Is SqueezePlayer still saying 'connected' ? Does the Eris come back when you toggle the playback again?
- Are you using SqueezeCommander when the player is missing or the WebUI (did you refresh it - it's not very good recognizing new players on the fly) ?

JJZolx
2011-05-10, 12:59
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/google-music-to-stream-20-000-songs-for-free-launches-at-i-o-la/

http://music.google.com/about/

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 13:18
Bluegaspode,

Actually, the syncing of the Droid was entirely by accident. It took me a while to get used to the interface for SC -- there's a few things I don't think are intuitive. (Like having to know to slide the window to the left for edit mode or to the right to get out of it -- it seemed to me I got in edit mode with a long fingre press, not a swipe.)

I reset my phone (as in power-down, remove battery, wait, replace, power-up) and it didn't help.

Then I finally went back and powered down my phone and stopped SBS. Then I brought up SBS, powered up my phone, and ran SP then SC and the player (my phone) showed up.

I did try, at one point, to rename it, but I see that ever time the connection is broken, then reconnected, it's seen as a new player.

Before I got this working, I had the web UI up to see what it had (and to confirm what I had on SC) and was working from SC, but didn't see HTC Eris on it at all. But the full power-cycling and restarting thing changed it all so it's working now.

I do notice one thing I find interesting: When I accidentally synced my Droid to my home Squeezeboxen, it played the same stream from RadioIO that the other players were playing. Later, when I tried to get to my apps, to see if I could play Pandora or RadioIO back through this setup, I got an error message (that the current device was already registered to someone else). So it looks like if I try direct playback of some apps, I'm blocked (probably due to licensing), but if I play those apps through a synced group, then add my Droid, it plays fine.

Also, I'd never use sync for the Droid with the Squeezeboxed in my house (which are all hardwired in) due to latency, as you mentioned, and other considerations. But, on the other hand, you can use that if you're at home and listening to music and enjoying it and you have to leave in a car -- you can use it to transfer your current listening choice from home to mobile.

There is one other issue -- I noticed it while writing this post. All my music is in FLAC files, with old time radio shows in MP3 files. When I play FLAC files, I get pauses and breaks where it stops, then it starts again soon. That doesn't seem to happen with MP3 files.

Can I assume this is due to the amount of data being streamed? And can I change that setting without it affecting my home Squeezeboxes?

bluegaspode
2011-05-10, 13:26
There is one other issue -- I noticed it while writing this post. All my music is in FLAC files, with old time radio shows in MP3 files. When I play FLAC files, I get pauses and breaks where it stops, then it starts again soon. That doesn't seem to happen with MP3 files.

Can I assume this is due to the amount of data being streamed? And can I change that setting without it affecting my home Squeezeboxes?

Yep - that's because your bandwidth is not good enough for streaming FLAC.
When you enter the Webinterface of Squeezebox-Server -> Settings -> Player -> HTC -> Audio
there is an option 'bitrate limiting'.
You can enter something sensible here (like 128kb/sec) if you have the LAME installed, and the Squeezebox-Server will convert your FLAC files to mp3 on the fly avoiding bandwidth problems.

Renaming the SqueezePlayer player is not supported yet.

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 13:32
Yep - that's because your bandwidth is not good enough for streaming FLAC.
When you enter the Webinterface of Squeezebox-Server -> Settings -> Player -> HTC -> Audio
there is an option 'bitrate limiting'.
You can enter something sensible here (like 128kb/sec) if you have the LAME installed, and the Squeezebox-Server will convert your FLAC files to mp3 on the fly avoiding bandwidth problems.

Renaming the SqueezePlayer player is not supported yet.

Got it -- I had seen some other streaming adjustment, I don't remember where, but it looked like it would effect all players, and I didn't want to do that.

So if I turn my phone off and restart SBS, so it doesn't see HTC Eris anymore, then turn it back on, will it still have the same setting, or does it only remember it as long as that particular player is active?

I have LAME installed, so I know it's converting (that was an issue in the other thread I had started). I dropped the bitrate to 192, but considering the ultra-high quality of the Droid as a playback device, I am willing to bet I can drop it more without noticing anything.

Thanks for all the help -- your program and SC are a great combo to use - now I can listen to my music anywhere I have a cell connection. Next step: Replace the port forwarding with a VPN for security. (Things like that are always a joy, since I have to repeat any firewall settings twice!)

Oh, I saw somewhere in all the Googling that you were looking for beta testers for native FLAC support for SP. If streaming MP3 at too high a bitrate makes the system choke, won't streaming FLAC files do even worse?

Again, thanks for all the help!

bluegaspode
2011-05-10, 13:59
So if I turn my phone off and restart SBS, so it doesn't see HTC Eris anymore, then turn it back on, will it still have the same setting, or does it only remember it as long as that particular player is active?
the server should remember those settings.

Oh, I saw somewhere in all the Googling that you were looking for beta testers for native FLAC support for SP. If streaming MP3 at too high a bitrate makes the system choke, won't streaming FLAC files do even worse?

Native FLAC support only makes sense via WiFi - guess a lot of people only use SqueezePlayer at home as a 'walkman'.
Right now FLACs are streamed either as as PCM or mp3 (depends on Settings->Advanced->File Types and of course also dependend on the bitrate limiting flag).

After some final testing a new version will be published by the end of the week.

HalNineThousand
2011-05-10, 14:29
the server should remember those settings.

I'm hoping. I finally have it working -- I hope I don't have to do more with it!

Native FLAC support only makes sense via WiFi - guess a lot of people only use SqueezePlayer at home as a 'walkman'.

I found that with a Linksys router, doing G, that if I have more than 2 devices receiving FLAC files, it chokes the router. So, since it wasn't too hard, I ran CAT5 and put all 5 of my Squeezeboxes on ethernet so it wasn't an issue.

Right now FLACs are streamed either as as PCM or mp3 (depends on Settings->Advanced->File Types and of course also dependend on the bitrate limiting flag).

After some final testing a new version will be published by the end of the week.

If you need more testers, let me know, but I won't be using this through wifi much, I'm more interested in using it as a my-music-anywhere type of device.