PDA

View Full Version : Pandora and Sirius question

bitstopjoe
2011-05-07, 05:46
I know Pandora does not stream higher than 128 and the same with Sirius. I have a premium ( highter bit rate) with Sirius and yet it still only streams at 128. So my question is.. Why bother paying for a premium subscription for both of these services if all you do is stream them to your SB??? Pandora says they are small and can't afford to stream at a higher bit rate ( which makes no sense since they say they can stream to your PC at a higher rate for $36 a year). Sirius never got back to me when I asked why cant I stream to my Touch at a higher bit rate when I am paying for the premium service now and it plays back on my PC at the higher bit rate but not my SB.

Thank you...

garym
2011-05-07, 05:53
I know Pandora does not stream higher than 128 and the same with Sirius. I have a premium ( highter bit rate) with Sirius and yet it still only streams at 128. So my question is.. Why bother paying for a premium subscription for both of these services if all you do is stream them to your SB??? Pandora says they are small and can't afford to stream at a higher bit rate ( which makes no sense since they say they can stream to your PC at a higher rate for $36 a year). Sirius never got back to me when I asked why cant I stream to my Touch at a higher bit rate when I am paying for the premium service now and it plays back on my PC at the higher bit rate but not my SB.

Thank you...

Not sure of the technical reasons, but my understanding is that (since the last few months at least) you can't stream sirius unless you have paid for the internet streaming option in addition to your regular subscription. And in regard to pandora, one benefit of premium is no limit on hours of use per month and also ad free. Keep in mind that most SB users haven't actually noticed any ads until recently, but they seem to be popping up now.

See this on Pandora and 192 streaming:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=71602&highlight=pandora+192

bitstopjoe
2011-05-07, 06:21
Yep have the internet option and that is where I am able to hear, I ASSUME, is 192 as opposed to 128 bit rate. Yet when I log into Sirius from my Touch and check the info it shows it streaming at 128. Seeing how Sirius nickel and dimes everything I would not doubt they charge another fee for that. Oh well. Hopefully Pandora will start streaming at a higher rate on the SB one day as well.

Thank you for the info..

garym
2011-05-07, 06:27
Yep have the internet option and that is where I am able to hear, I ASSUME, is 192 as opposed to 128 bit rate. Yet when I log into Sirius from my Touch and check the info it shows it streaming at 128. Seeing how Sirius nickel and dimes everything I would not doubt they charge another fee for that. Oh well. Hopefully Pandora will start streaming at a higher rate on the SB one day as well.

Thank you for the info..

I'm guessing that sirius is NOT streaming at 192 on your computer but can't confirm. I was using XMradio internet streaming on my computer and could tell that it was definitely 128 and not 192.

bitstopjoe
2011-05-07, 06:39
Prior to their new interface, one had the option to switch between standard and preimum and the difference was noticable. However that option is no longer there so it is possible they no longer stream at 192. Which sucks as I didnt get any refund for NOT getting the "preimum" sound...

Oh well.. With all that is out there to listen too, I don't see the point in renewing when the times comes to Sirius...

garym
2011-05-07, 06:42
agree. My only real reason for sirius/xm is radio in the car. If I didn't want the car radio, I'd not subscribe. At home I rarely actually listen to sirius. edit: p.s. I can say that now I recall that my "premium" streaming with XMradio did give my 128 instead of 64 (or was it 96). So maybe that's what you had. 128 would certainly sound a lot better than 64.

bitstopjoe
2011-05-07, 06:49
Good point since it never said what the preimum bit rate was. All I know is the premimum sounds much better than standard. I just "assumed" DOH...
Oh well still no point it paying them for what I can get elsewhere for free. I don't care about it in my car, so bye bye.......

Thank you again for your help.