X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJZolx
    • Apr 2005

This is what the perfect Squeezebox looks like

They just about nailed it.

I would want a wider display, but I like the fact that this one shows four lines of text, unlike the Transporter that never has more than three and doesn't switch when using the front panel. I'm not sure if this type of display can change the number of lines displayed, but I would want a display that could, and would want the software to switch to four lines when using the front panel controls and then to one or two lines when using the IR remote. A little like the Touch works.

There's even some functionality here that beats any Squeezebox. Plug in a USB stick (it has both front and rear USB ports) and simply browse the file structure and play the files. How amazing.

• JJZolx
    • Apr 2005

And look at that... a hard power switch on the back in addition to the Standby/On switch on the front. More amazing.

And an external antenna! Where was Fred Bould when they were designing this thing?

Last edited by JJZolx; 2011-05-06, 22:43.

Comment

• SilverRS8
      • Aug 2007

I hope you are cynical
      1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xDuet, 3xRadio, Synology 412+ NAS, Devialet 120, Audio Physic Tempo 25 speakers

Comment

• Mark Miksis
        formerly known as Fletch
        • May 2005

Originally posted by SilverRS8
        I hope you are cynical
        JJZolx is never cynical.

Comment

• pski

Originally posted by JJZolx
          They just about nailed it.

I would want a wider display, but I like the fact that this one shows four lines of text, unlike the Transporter that never has more than three and doesn't switch when using the front panel. I'm not sure if this type of display can change the number of lines displayed, but I would want a display that could, and would want the software to switch to four lines when using the front panel controls and then to one or two lines when using the IR remote. A little like the Touch works.

There's even some functionality here that beats any Squeezebox. Plug in a USB stick (it has both front and rear USB ports) and simply browse the file structure and play the files. How amazing.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=604
          Amazing if all your USB media is FAT32.

Amazing if none of your music is M4A.

Amazing if you never use the webUI to select music.

Amazing if you only want to use it at home rather than remotely over the internet.

I am disinclined to search for further issues.

P

Comment

• riffer
            • Oct 2007

All I see is an extra line of data and a nicer faceplate.

No Aes/EBU or BNC in; no balanced out.

Still, it might be an interesting machine. I wonder what OEM the innards are?

Comment

• gizek
              • Nov 2009

Here is some guts...

I'm not convinced this is what the perfect Squeezebox should look like.

Wandboard > Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC > Pass Labs INT-30A > Dynaudio Confidence C1

Comment

• JJZolx
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by pski
                Amazing if all your USB media is FAT32.

Amazing if none of your music is M4A.

Amazing if you never use the webUI to select music.

Amazing if you only want to use it at home rather than remotely over the internet.

I am disinclined to search for further issues.
                What, you're not bagging on it not having a full color LCD screen so that you can gaze at album art while your songs play?

I wasn't talking about the functionality so much as the form factor and a couple of the switches. Although the simplified USB functionality is something that nearly everyone has wanted.

Cambridge decided to make it reliant upon UpNP, which, given all of the recent software issues with Squeezebox, might actually appeal to more people looking for something simpler and with fewer headaches. It would be more fun if it functioned as a Squeezebox.

My premise is that it this is the Squeezebox package that I'd always hoped Slim Devices would have come out with.

Comment

• pski

Originally posted by JJZolx
                  It would be more fun if it functioned as a Squeezebox.

My premise is that it this is the Squeezebox package that I'd always hoped Slim Devices would have come out with.
                  Yeah, OK. I guess the minimal look of the receiver didn't satisfy.

I don't give a flying %^ck about artwork on a player. In my mind that is a stupid direction for LTech. I need another annoying screen I have to paste up with black tape..

On the positive (and negative) side, it does not suck up to apple but who wants another streaming standard? (I must add that from my experience DNLA is half-baked.)

Comment

• toby10
                    • Jul 2007

Seems a little pricey as well @ GP400 / $650 vs a Touch less than half that cost.

Comment

• Guy48065
                      • Jun 2010

Shame it doesn't have a video output--that display would still be darn hard to see across the room from my couch.
                      Squeezebox Touch (Classic in system #2)
                      Notebook serving .3T library
                      Control:
                      Samsung phone or tablet + OrangeSqueeze,
                      Duet remote

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                        • Apr 2005

Is that a switching supply?
                        You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                        Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                        Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• paulster
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
                          Is that a switching supply?
                          'Tis indeed.

Nice looking unit, I'll give it that.

Comment

• vrette
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by pski
                            (I must add that from my experience DNLA is half-baked.)
                            I have to agree with this. It is one of the reasons I went with the Squeezebox versus the UPNP/DLNA route.

Comment

• mkanet
                              • Oct 2006

I dunno... all my clients look like the below on large screen TV. No need to swap audio/video inputs, etc between TV and Squeezebox client. With just a couple of clicks of the remote control can have me playing any radio station, pull up a full bio or latest news ticket for the the artist/group, I can play the respective HD music video for the song I'm listening instantly.. or simply watching/record any HDTV / Comcast On Demand channel (without re-encoding)... or watch any blu-ray I want within seconds; with an optional 1080p movie trailer before the movie starts; not to mention with on click I can find height, age and other related info. It will be a long time before stuff like this hits the mass market.

This:

Or This:

Comment

Working...