PDA

View Full Version : New Player for Slim Server

anthony webb
2004-09-23, 16:14
I'll try to keep this brief, thanks in advance for the ideas and feedback.

I am considering developing myself/funding development of a new player for slim server. I really would like to see a player like itunes or wmp for the slimsever. A nice simple clean gui that is quick and lightweight, built in player, playlist, and music search. I can appreciate the softsqueeze player and it fills its own niche very well. Richard has been awesome, and maybe this project I am talking about is just a spinoff or enhancement to softsqueeze. I just feel like the current softsqueeze it is a little too much like the hardware player we all have. The tradeoffs we have to make for the squeezebox's limited screen and a remote, are NOT tradeoffs we have to make with a pc. Why limit ourselves? Hopefully someone has some good input... (I know plugin developers are going to hate me because I dont really plan on emulating the squeezebox graphic output)

1. What language would be the best to do a software player in? Could flash be used? Perl? Delphi? C++? Does anyone have any experience trying to integrate slim server into a player with any of these languages?

2. Anyone have any good links or docs into how to link into slim server for a software player, heck even just a real simple player? I know there are various ways to do this, any thoughts here?

3. I just want to leverage off the experience that people have in here as much as possible to avoid some of the bumps in the road. So any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regard,
-Anthony

ron thigpen
2004-09-24, 08:45
anthony webb wrote:

> I am considering developing myself/funding development of a new player
> for slim server. I really would like to see a player like itunes or
> wmp for the slimsever. A nice simple clean gui that is quick and
> lightweight, built in player, playlist, and music search.

Two options to consider that could avoid a complete start-from-scratch:

1) A Softsqueeze Skin
2) A Web Rich Client approach using Flash (in browser or standalone) or
Mozilla XUL.

--rt