PDA

View Full Version : queezebox Classic v3 audio volume problems.

kurtphyre
2011-05-01, 21:48
Hi, I have a Squeezebox Classic v3 connected to an Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver via Blue Jeans Cable RCA cables. My speakers are Athena AS-F2 tower speakers. The RR2150 has a volume knob that essentially goes from 7 o'clock (mute) to 5 o'clock (maximum volume). When I adjust the volume during Squeezebox playback it works as intended until it gets to about 10 o'clock. It doesn't really get any louder than this...even if I crank the volume to 2 o'clock or higher. I think maybe the bass slightly increases...but overall volume doesn't change. This is strange because with all my other sources of audio (TV, Xbox 360, Blu-Ray), I can never even listen to volume past 12 o'clock. 11 o'clock with all these other sources is INSANELY loud.

I would like to be able to play the Squeezebox louder but I don't know why I'm having this problem. I do have the volume set to "100%" via the Squeezecenter software and have verified this via the Squeezebox's on-screen menu. Does anybody know what could be wrong? By the way I tried switching inputs on my receiver but it still has the same problem.

Also, what's the best sounding firmware and version of Squeezecenter/Slimserver/SqueezeboxServer for stereo audio fidelity? Is the most current as good as any? I currently use Firmware 127 and I can't find which Squeezecenter version I'm using.

sebp
2011-05-02, 03:14
IIRC correctly, there is some kind of "PreAmp Analog Level" setting available for the SB2/3 under Audio (from the web UI), that may be worth checking.

Soulkeeper
2011-05-02, 05:42
Have you tried connecting your SB3 to another amp? The output should be roughly as loud as anything else, so I have a small suspicion your SB3 may be defect (or there's something wrong in the settings).

Also, what's the best sounding firmware and version of Squeezecenter/Slimserver/SqueezeboxServer for stereo audio fidelity? Is the most current as good as any?

Yes. I read somewhere that some years ago there was a bug that caused the output to be not bit perfect (inverted phase maybe? I don't remember) but that was fixed. Now there's no difference according to most people. (But as this is a question about audio quality, you will be able to find people who disagree, if you try. Or perhaps even without trying.)

Phil Leigh
2011-05-03, 06:45
Have you tried connecting your SB3 to another amp? The output should be roughly as loud as anything else, so I have a small suspicion your SB3 may be defect (or there's something wrong in the settings).

Yes. I read somewhere that some years ago there was a bug that caused the output to be not bit perfect (inverted phase maybe? I don't remember) but that was fixed. Now there's no difference according to most people. (But as this is a question about audio quality, you will be able to find people who disagree, if you try. Or perhaps even without trying.)

THE LATEST FIRMWARE IS FINE - as are pretty much all versions ever released.

servies
2011-05-03, 07:21
So... you're turning the volumeknob on your receiver and you think your SB3 is doing something wrong in response to that...

Soulkeeper
2011-05-03, 08:56
Read the post again. He says that the SB requires him to crank up the amp volume much more than his other sources.

Sounds like some weird impedance or grounding issue to me, but I'm not an expert, so I can only recommend some basic troubleshooting tricks.

garym
2011-05-03, 09:21
Read the post again. He says that the SB requires him to crank up the amp volume much more than his other sources.

Sounds like some weird impedance or grounding issue to me, but I'm not an expert, so I can only recommend some basic troubleshooting tricks.

this may not be the issue, but I can confirm that all my SB players have MUCH LOWER volume on the line-out than CD players or DVD players that are connected. In the rare cases I ever switch to CD player, I have to remember to turn my preamp volume way down otherwise I get blasted with the CD player.

servies
2011-05-04, 04:45
That's not what I'm reading:

When I adjust the volume during Squeezebox playback it works as intended until it gets to about 10 o'clock. It doesn't really get any louder than this...even if I crank the volume to 2 o'clock or higher. I think maybe the bass slightly increases...but overall volume doesn't change. This is strange because with all my other sources of audio (TV, Xbox 360, Blu-Ray), I can never even listen to volume past 12 o'clock. 11 o'clock with all these other sources is INSANELY loud.
To me this reads as: I'm turning the volumeknob from 7 o'clock till 10 o'clock and the music gets louder (as expected) but from 10 o'clock till 5 o'clock nothing happens to the volume...
That sounds to me as a hardware limitation/problem/malfunction at the receiverside...

Soulkeeper
2011-05-04, 08:12
Maybe so. Either way, see also the forum thread: Problem with SB3 analog output... (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87108)

It's about a similar problem, and it got resolved. Perhaps it can help.

servies
2011-05-04, 23:25
@Soulkeeper:
again: how does this influence the volumeknob on the amp.
Changing the volume functions correctly up to 10 o'clock and then nothing.
In the thread you mention, the person only hears something very faint when the volumeknob is at its max...

Soulkeeper
2011-05-05, 00:35
The volume knob on the amp you mean? Well, if it does function relatively linearly up to a certain level, increasing the volume on the signal being fed to amp's inputs would at least make it behave more like it does with his other units.