PDA

View Full Version : [ANNOUNCE] Music-Playback now on ANDROID! SqueezePlayer released to the market ...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 14:04
Up until know only iPad user could use my streaming solution with the marvellous SqueezePad App.

But the time of waiting is over - now you can also turn your Android mobile or tablet into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer

If Android Market is not available to you (i.e. on the Kindle Fire), you can also purchase/install via AndroidPit.
Android Pit: http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer/Squeeze-Player

Do you want to stream all your Logitech Squeezebox content directly to your phone and make it really free? Then SqueezePlayer is your perfect match!

SqueezePlayer is able to stream your local music, internet radio stations or songs from Apps like Last.FM, Deezer or WiMP directly to your mobile. (Rhapsody and Pandora NOT working right now, due to licensing issues, Spotify only works with the help of triodes plugin installed in a Squeezebox-Server, Napster only works with Windows-based server).

SqueezePlayer is just a playback App - you won't be able to control your Squeezebox (nor itself) with it. But there are enough Apps out there being a perfect fit: SqueezeCommander (recommended) or free alternatives like the official Logitech App, SqueezeControl or SqueezeDroid.

From the main screen of SqueezePlayer you can jump directly to any of these App, where you mobile will be among all other players as long as SqueezePlayer is activated.

Right now the following music formats are supported directly:
FLAC, MP3, WAV, PCM

Your SqueezeboxServer will be able to convert other file types (Ogg, mp4) to PCM on the fly, so these will play as well. (You can check the settings screen of your Squeezebox Server under Advanced->File Types what other file types will be transcoded to PCM).

Some notes for the pros: for playback to be working via 3G you will need to open/forward port 9000 and 3483 on your router (as well as setting up a DynDNS service).
A full tutorial can be found on my webpage: www.squeezeplayer.com

Tested so far on: HTC Wildfire, Legend, Magic, Desire, Google MyTouch, Sony XPERIA Mini,
I'm really interesting in your experience on any other device of course!

If anything is not working, don't hesitate to contact me under support(at)squeezeplayer.com. I'm very happy to work together with you to make it working if you face any problem.

ganjastone
2011-04-28, 14:16
This is awesome!!!!

Turned my Squidget to a walkman!
I waited for something similar so long.
Well done!

Here's my two cents after the excitement wore off a bit - I know it's the playback that matters here - and that works well.
I (and I know others as well) have been struggling making this work - and failed), but I think the look and feel of the application can be improved.
I would appreciate if you have a widget, even if all it does is to toggle it on / off with no configuration.
Also, If you can explain the huge permission list that would be great.

Thanks,

Avi

Minor issue: It FC when I tried to switch servers right after install. then worked perfectly. I reported a crash (sent an error report).

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 14:43
Hi Avi,

thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as the playback is a service anyway.
Also will think again about the looks - found it important to finally release something to the Android world first - and guess that people won't use my UI much (except for debugging purposes if needed).

Your crash report arrived - it's a rare race condition on disconnects: will fix it on the weekend (so much for testing for days with several people - still bugs will creep through).

ganjastone
2011-04-28, 14:45
Hi Avi,

thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as the playback is a service anyway.

Will be glad to assist. Got some experience with those nasty widgets :)

flattermann
2011-04-28, 15:00
Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

Very nice.

Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
I.e. the player never disappears from the server.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 15:03
Very nice.

Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
I.e. the player never disappears from the server.

As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the service is running.
You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15 minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.

flattermann
2011-04-28, 15:16
As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the service is running.
You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15 minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.

That did not work here on my first try.

The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.

I've now forced a stop of the service and now it seems to work as expected.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 15:32
That did not work here on my first try.
The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.

I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player from the list.
But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested and you see again that the player is still available in SqueezeCommander - when the service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a 'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.

pippin
2011-04-28, 16:00
Cool.

Apart from the fact that it took ages to purchase it, not your fault, but I can now understand why selling stuff on the Android Market is so much more difficult than on iOS.

But it works quite well from what I can see so far, even on my crappy Xperia Mini (which for some reason your App calls "U20i", is that the "technical" name?).

You've done it again! Congrats!

flattermann
2011-04-28, 16:11
I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player from the list.
But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested and you see again that the player is still available in SqueezeCommander - when the service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a 'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.

I'll do it when this happens again.

But I'm pretty sure that your Thread was still running, because I could still start/stop the playback in SqueezeCommander. :-)
(Although no 'play' symbol was shown in the notification area.)

And after starting your App again and selecting another server, I could see two SqueezePlayers in SqueezeCommander. :-)

pippin
2011-04-28, 17:09
Is FLAC supposed to work?
I'm only getting white noise when trying that.

Henry66
2011-04-28, 17:40
When I first tried it I got no sound at all from FLAC files. Then I tried an MP3 which worked fine. After that, all FLAC and MP3 files now work fine.

However, only 16-bit files (44.1 and 48 kHz) seem to work. Playback aborts with 24-bit files.

idlewild
2011-04-28, 17:47
Playing FLAC downconverted to 64k on HTC Incredible / Verizon over 3G.

Way Cool!!

mrfantasy
2011-04-28, 18:04
Haven't tested extensively, but it seems to be working fine. Looking forward to testing remote playback. I have a Motorola Droid (original, but with CyanogenMod 7.0.1, so Android 2.3.3) and a Xoom (Android 3.0) and will work with both.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 18:55
Is FLAC supposed to work?
I'm only getting white noise when trying that.
For those trying Flac and have problems: what bitrate/samplerate is your FLACs?
My Flacs work fine, but I only have same default 44/16.
96/24 won't work yet, as the server does not downsample with PCM and well: 96khz is just not possible on Android.
Real FLAC support coming soon, server will downsample then, whoever wants to Beta test, drop a note to support(at)squeezeplayer.com.

idlewild
2011-04-28, 19:12
Pandora Error: "You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this device."

mherger
2011-04-28, 21:48
Cool! I'm seeing the same flac playback issue pippin mentioned. mp3 is playing perfectly fine.

I've seen several issues with shoutcast streams too: Radio Paradise wouldn't play at all. Some (eg. cool93 Fahrenheit) would kill it after playing playing some Mickey Mouse vocals :-). And some work perfectly fine (eg. idobi radio).

One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as it needs to report back to the server too.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 21:50
Pandora Error: "You must be a subscriber to use Pandora from this device."
As of the App description Pandora does not work due to licensing issues.

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 21:54
One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as it needs to report back to the server too.

Android pops up the volume indicator when you change the volume.
The App also intercepts the current volume to send it to the server.
Can you send me one of the trouble FLAC to my gmail Account?

mherger
2011-04-28, 21:55
Oh, switching from Direct Streaming to proxied streaming made Radio Paradise available.

You could enable this feature automatically on the server by setting the player pref when connecting ([ 'playerpref', 'mp3StreamingMethod', '1' ]).

Michael

Am 29.04.2011, 06:48 Uhr, schrieb Michael Herger <slim (AT) herger (DOT) net>:

> Cool! I'm seeing the same flac playback issue pippin mentioned. mp3 is playing perfectly fine.
>
> I've seen several issues with shoutcast streams too: Radio Paradise wouldn't play at all. Some (eg. cool93 Fahrenheit) would kill it after playing playing some Mickey Mouse vocals :-). And some work perfectly fine (eg. idobi radio).
>
> One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as it needs to report back to the server too.
>

mherger
2011-04-28, 22:13
Sent a link to your address. Smallest file I could find was 35MB.

FWIW: if I enable bitrate limiting, then it works fine. That's a little surprising to me, as it should trigger the same actions as transcoding (as only mp3 is supported).

Michael

Am 29.04.2011, 06:54 Uhr, schrieb bluegaspode <bluegaspode.4sxw3b1304052961 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> mherger;628218 Wrote:
>>
>> One more thing I observed while using our Controller app: when
>> controlling SqueezePlayer I would get the volume popup when using the
>> volume buttons, which usually doesn't happen in our app. Is your app
>> pushing it to the screen, or is this Android handling it? I'm also
>> wondering as you might need to somehow intercept the volume handler, as
>> it needs to report back to the server too.
>
> Android pops up the volume indicator when you change the volume.
> The App also intercepts the current volume to send it to the server.
> Can you send me one of the trouble FLAC to my gmail Account?
>
>

--

Michael

verypsb
2011-04-28, 22:24
FWIW: if I enable bitrate limiting, then it works fine. That's a little surprising to me, as it should trigger the same actions as transcoding (as only mp3 is supported).

Maybe related?
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=87343

bluegaspode
2011-04-28, 23:05
Hi Michael,
got your FLAC file, can reproduce the issues and will look into it tonight. Seems I cannot handle 24bit files yet (there is code to transcode it to 16bit - the only supported sample size on Android)

Also can reproduce the issues with the mentioned radio stations (interesting, as they are all mp3) and hope they are easy to fix as well. As one is giving a good crash report this should be easy to fix as well. Is there a chance to find out if the crashing stream is a mono stream? This would explain the mickey mouse effects as well as the crash (as I currently expect 2bytes*2channels = 4bytes framesize, which is maybe too much to expect)

mherger
2011-04-28, 23:30
> got your FLAC file can reproduce the issues and will look into it
> tonight. Seems I cannot handle 24bit files yet (there is code to
> transcode it to 16bit - the only supported sample size on Android)

Oh, are you transcoding in the app, not on the server side? Wouldn't it be
easier to let the server handle this?

> Also can reproduce the issues with the mentioned radio stations
> (interesting, as they are all mp3) and hope they are easy to fix as
> well. As one is giving a good crash report this should be easy to fix
> as well.

Great, I'll give more information next time it crashes.

--

Michael

Muele
2011-04-28, 23:31
Congratulations on the release.

You forget HTC Desire in the list of tested devives :-)

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 00:41
Oh, are you transcoding in the app, not on the server side? Wouldn't it be
easier to let the server handle this?

Just conversion of samplesize/channels to 16bit/stereo

Mark Miksis
2011-04-29, 06:37
Nice work! I like the integration that provides a button for Squeezecommander or the Logitech controller.

rpress
2011-04-29, 07:38
Great job! I get a crash as well when playing Radio Paradise. The proxy streaming fixed it.

I can't connect over the internet though. Squeezecommander works fine this way. Do I need to forward more ports?

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 08:49
Do I need to forward more ports?
9000 and 3483

You are one of those, that don't read announcements or App Store descriptions to the end, shame on you :D (but I'm happy to help anyway ;) )

pippin
2011-04-29, 09:29

T-bird
2011-04-29, 09:33
Working fine on my HTC Desire HD
thx

One thing I noticed

The play button is off
connection says disconnected
Playback says stopped
No icon on top bar

And I still listening to music, controlled by the server web UI

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 09:34

thanks corrected.
For some reason my fingers always type 3484 when they want to type 3483.
Why didn't they use 9001, 6666 or 11111?

pippin
2011-04-29, 10:41
I think this
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/
will more or less apply here, too.
If your fingers can't type 3483, how about 0xd9b, at least one less digit to get wrong.

T-bird
2011-04-29, 11:02
Something is very wrong

When I start the app it connects to the server and start playing, no controller app is running on phone, the web ui says player is off and no progressbar running.
The music stops when comming to first songs end and my poor little QNAP server run a perl process at 100% cpu, set the play button in app to off make the server run normal again

erland
2011-04-29, 11:06
Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer

Unfortunately I don't have an Android device to try it on, but great work anyway.

Just out of interest, would this be possible to run on a Logitech Revue and suddenly turn it into a Squeezebox player ?
As I've understood Revue isn't supporting Android Market yet ? (At least not unless you hack it)

But if someone from Logitech sees this post and SqueezePlayer would be possible to run on Revue, maybe it's worth to investigate. Feels kind of perfect to have a player app on the Revue and then use one of the controller apps on the Android/iOS device to control it with.

Skinny
2011-04-29, 12:03
I don't seem able to purchase this for my no-brand cheapo Android 1.6 tablet. Is Android 2 required?

-Skinny

NikolajC
2011-04-29, 12:04
Nice work. Got some short burst of static using spotify via triodes that I don't normally experience on my home audio system or spotify android app. But generally nice work.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 12:06
Something is very wrong

When I start the app it connects to the server and start playing, no controller app is running on phone, the web ui says player is off and no progressbar running.
The music stops when comming to first songs end and my poor little QNAP server run a perl process at 100% cpu, set the play button in app to off make the server run normal again

Hi T-Bird,
are you trying to stream FLAC or mp3?
How many Mhz of CPU is your QNAP having and how fast is your WebUI typically when using it?

Don't care for the On/Off button of the Web-UI, SqueezePlayer is always 'On'.
Would you mind trying out the free Logitech App for remote controlling? As far as I know it uses less CPU power on your QNAP than the WebUI - maybe you see better status updates there?

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 12:09
I don't seem able to purchase this for my no-brand cheapo Android 1.6 tablet. Is Android 2 required?

-Skinny
Yes, the minimum requirement is Android 2.1.
Android 1.5 and 1.6 only make 5% of the market but require huge additional programming and testing efforts (see http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html)

Thats why I decided to not support it anymore, sorry :(

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 12:14
Nice work. Got some short burst of static using spotify via triodes that I don't normally experience on my home audio system or spotify android app. But generally nice work.
This is a bug of the HTC Desire, when using the sound API I'm using :(
Even if I send a lot of 0-samples, one sometimes gets a very short burst at the beginning of playback.

I read about a workaround (playing 100msecs of silence via the other sound API) that might minimize this effect and I will play around with it in one of the future version.

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 12:17
Just out of interest, would this be possible to run on a Logitech Revue and suddenly turn it into a Squeezebox player ?
I have no idea how much they changed for Revue.

T-bird
2011-04-29, 12:44
Hi T-Bird,
are you trying to stream FLAC or mp3?
How many Mhz of CPU is your QNAP having and how fast is your WebUI typically when using it?

Don't care for the On/Off button of the Web-UI, SqueezePlayer is always 'On'.
Would you mind trying out the free Logitech App for remote controlling? As far as I know it uses less CPU power on your QNAP than the WebUI - maybe you see better status updates there?
Hi
when working properly i can stream both mp3 and flac to my Touch and phone at the same time and cpu is only 5-10%.
It was then it start that "ghost" playing things went wrong, I was unable to control it nor by app or web ui

Edit: I am scrobbling both player to Last.fm at the same time if that has anything to do with it

mherger
2011-04-29, 13:39
> Just out of interest, would this be possible to run on a Logitech Revue
> and suddenly turn it into a Squeezebox player ?

If LMS comes true, then it will be possible to stream to Revue using DLNA anyway.

> As I've understood Revue isn't supporting Android Market yet ? (At
> least not unless you hack it)

That's correct. But we've been interested in this question as well. Unfortunately the production units have the debug ports disabled (obviously...), but with dev units we have been able to easily install an Android app using adb. I've tested this with one single app only ;-) (the touch UI doesn't make much sense on a 24" full HD screen).

AFAIK current Google TV OS isn't a real Android, but some relative. There seem to be plans to converge the two later this year.

--

Michael

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 13:42
Hi
when working properly i can stream both mp3 and flac to my Touch and phone at the same time and cpu is only 5-10%.
It was then it start that "ghost" playing things went wrong, I was unable to control it nor by app or web ui

Edit: I am scrobbling both player to Last.fm at the same time if that has anything to do with it

Mhmm, sounds really strange and hard to track.
I'd suggest restarting your server and the App as a start (on Android: Settings->Applications). Then see if it happens again. Maybe just a bad coincidence?

If the App is not responding then please wait a while until the window that allows you to force quit it appears. I should get a report later about this type of crash via Google and can analyze it.
If it happens again please contact me at support(at)squeezeplayer.com. I'll be providing you with an App with activated logging then, so you might get a better clue of what is happening on your mobile.

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 16:00
Hi folks,

just uploaded an update (v1.0.1), fixing the most common bugs from the first 26 hours of operation:

- no crash on mono mp3 anymore
- no crash when MAC address cannot be resolved on first start (due to turned off WiFi)
- no crash when one deletes the port number in the manual server settings
- no crash when one enters invalid characters (spaces,umlauts) as the manual server address

Thanks for sending over the crash reports!

Started to work on 24bit FLAC, but am too tired to finish tonight.
More progress on that at the end of the weekend.

arris
2011-04-29, 22:06
Amazing, simply amazing! It took four tries until Google would allow me to buy your app, but boy, best $1.50 I've spent in a while. Samsung Vibrant and Nook Color both showing up as independent players in SBS just like any hardware player. Controlled from SqueezeCommander and Squidget on the same device. Even Pandora works flawless so far (I know it's not supposed to, hope this is not a 'bug' ;))
Will report back if I run across any issues (none so far).

bluegaspode
2011-04-29, 23:25
Even Pandora works flawless so far (I know it's not supposed to, hope this is not a 'bug' ;))

I think with a premium account this works. Most people don't have it but are still used to listening to Pandora on their Squeezebox.
This type of account is restricted to be playing only on a hardware Squeezebox and I don't want to raise expectations, which is why in the App description I simply claim, that its not working.
So no worries, have fun using Pandora!

yobyot
2011-04-30, 08:32
I would love to try this on my T-Mobile G2. One question: if the phone is plugged into the USB port and USB access is turned on, will the app output audio to the USB port? This is for a mobile application; my car sees the G2 as a USB device.

realcodeguy
2011-04-30, 09:16
Just installed and it worked locally first go no problem. Will setup remote access and see how she sings :-)

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 09:41
I would love to try this on my T-Mobile G2. One question: if the phone is plugged into the USB port and USB access is turned on, will the app output audio to the USB port? This is for a mobile application; my car sees the G2 as a USB device.

To be honest I don't know. Does this work if you play music from any other App?
If not then I doubt it would work with SqueezePlayer.

I could image this might work with bluetooth, but this is totally up to Android and your Phone. I just tell Android 'please stream this music' and whether it then comes out of the speakers/headphone/whatever other device Android decides itself.

dshinnick
2011-04-30, 09:55
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I can't get this to work at all!

Am using Squeezecommander with Squeezeplayer.

Am using Touch as my SB Server; I don't have a dedicated PC for that. I didn't see where that would be a problem as described in the Market.

My Squeezecommander (SC) is controlling the SqueezeboxTouch (ST); I can hear it playing through my stereo in the house.

- The Squeezeplayer (SP) has registered itself with the ST.
- The SP screen shows Playback is on (green), Start App (which works fine), the server IP, WiFi connected, but "Playback stopped". No matter what I do, I cant' change the status of "Playback".

When I turn Playback off, the Connection status goes to "disconnected".

The Notification bar shows Squeezeplayer, playback is activated.

Basically, everything seems right except the Playback status, and the fact that I'm not getting any sound whatsoever.

I'm not going to return it to the Market because I think we'll get this figured out, and I've been looking for this app for a long time.

Just rebooted the phone; no change.

Thanks!

Dave

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 10:06
Basically, everything seems right except the Playback status, and the fact that I'm not getting any sound whatsoever.
Hi Dave,

from what you write SqueezePlayer is setup correctly. When it says 'connected' but 'playback stopped' it's waiting to receive a stream.

You need to start SqueezeCommander then and you will see your Samsung (along with the Touch) in the players list (one swipe to the right typically gets you to the servers + players list in SqueezeCommander).

Does this work? Then select the Samsung and like with a Touch you should be able to start a song.
If its not working: what type of media are you trying to play?

dshinnick
2011-04-30, 10:20
Oh poop. The song that wouldn't play was a .m4a file download from iTunes. I'll bet that's right in your instructions, eh?

Color me guilty for not reading the instructions carefully enough.

thanks for the help. My ripped MP3's are playing fine.

dave

ps...is there a similar app for Windows or Mac?

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 10:32
After I typed the above I tried a different song and it started playing. The song I was trying to play earlier (which wouldn't play) was an iTunes purchase/download. The next song I tried was just an MP3 rip. Wow. Ok, it's humming along just fine now. Thanks so much for the help!

iTunes is in m4a/AAC format typically. The Touch unfortunately does not have enough power to transcode that and SqueezePlayer cannot play mp4 natively.
Only a full Squeezebox-Server would be able to stream your iTunes music to SqueezePlayer.

I will update the App description accordingly to make clearer, that the stripped down server of the Touch is not able to transcode all too good.

For Windows or MAC you could download SqueezePlay (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.5). It's the software running on the Touch, so will look familiar to you.

chenrikson
2011-04-30, 10:33
Everything seems to work very well -- but no sound on my Droid X. All the screens are there, play and stop work, the Droid X is identified as a player. No sound on favorites or local media, although everything appears normal. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out. Music files stored on the phone work fine. Help!

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 10:34
Will setup remote access and see how she sings :-)

Let us know how it goes!

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 10:36
Everything seems to work very well -- but no sound on my Droid X. All the screens are there, play and stop work, the Droid X is identified as a player. No sound on favorites or local media, although everything appears normal. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure it out. Music files stored on the phone work fine. Help!

What type of media files are you using and what server are you running?

arris
2011-04-30, 10:44
I could image this might work with bluetooth, but this is totally up to Android and your Phone. I just tell Android 'please stream this music' and whether it then comes out of the speakers/headphone/whatever other device Android decides itself.

For the records, playback via bluetooth works fine for me on the Vibrant.

chenrikson
2011-04-30, 13:36
What type of media files are you using and what server are you running?

MP3 using my computer as the server. I find that I can get it to work for a short while. During that period the Playback buffering percentages go down from 99% to 0% -- first the second percentage and then the first. Stopping the player gets it to work again for a short while but the same problem occurs. I note that if I turn Playback off I cannot turn it back on without exiting the app.

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 14:05
MP3 using my computer as the server. I find that I can get it to work for a short while. During that period the Playback buffering percentages go down from 99% to 0% -- first the second percentage and then the first. Stopping the player gets it to work again for a short while but the same problem occurs.

The first percentage is the audio buffer => if it's at 0% then there is no more to play and SqueezePlayer will make a short pause to rebuffer.
The second percentage is the download buffer => if it's at 0% the mp3 decoder doesn't have new data to decode, so the first buffer will soon go down as well, as there's is nothing to fill it again.

As you say the second percentage goes down first, this means that SqueezePlayer is not able to download enough data fast enough.
Either your network is not fast enough or your server has problems sending out enough data.

You are using WiFi, do you? Anything else that might stress your network (big downloads, whatever?)

I note that if I turn Playback off I cannot turn it back on without exiting the app.
I'm analyzing those crashs right now and hope to resolve them this week(end?).

bluegaspode
2011-04-30, 17:13
v1.0.2 now available:

- FLAC with 24bit samplesize (up to 48Khz) works now
- fixed occasional crash when syncing SqueezePlayer to other players (please note that this is still not fully supported yet)

rpress
2011-04-30, 21:54
9000 and 3483

You are one of those, that don't read announcements or App Store descriptions to the end, shame on you :D (but I'm happy to help anyway ;) )

Ah, well thanks anyway for the help, it's working well now over 3G.

I just downloaded the new version, looks like it might clear up the crashes I get occassionally.

T-bird
2011-05-01, 01:43
Some moore issues I have

When running SqueezePlay the screen on my phone (HTC DHD) never turns completly off, it just dim down
And if I turn screen off manually it turns on again every time it changes to a new song

Another thing is it keep the discs spinning on my SBS server for ever, I must turn wifi off on the phone to stop it.

bluegaspode
2011-05-01, 03:08
Some moore issues I have

When running SqueezePlay the screen on my phone (HTC DHD) never turns completly off, it just dim down
And if I turn screen off manually it turns on again every time it changes to a new song

Hi T-bird,
currently this is expected behaviour. Some phones throttle the CPU too much, when the screen is off (then causing stuttering playback quite fast) - that's why right now I'm forcing the screen to be turned on.
I'll soon provide an option in the App settings to make this optional, so anyone can try himself if it is needed on his phone.

Another thing is it keep the discs spinning on my SBS server for ever, I must turn wifi off on the phone to stop it.
Are you sure this is from SqueezePlayer and not any other App running in the background as well?
The App sends the same commands to your QNAP like the Touch or Radio, so if these are on as well it shouldn't make any difference.
If you don't see the playback symbol, SqueezePlayer does not send anything to your QNAP, if you don't trust that, you might want to force close the App manually (In Android Settings under Applications).

T-bird
2011-05-01, 04:12
Hi T-bird,

Are you sure this is from SqueezePlayer and not any other App running in the background as well?
The App sends the same commands to your QNAP like the Touch or Radio, so if these are on as well it shouldn't make any difference.
If you don't see the playback symbol, SqueezePlayer does not send anything to your QNAP, if you don't trust that, you might want to force close the App manually (In Android Settings under Applications).

Yes i can verify it from Squeezeplayer
If I SSH to my QNAP I can see it has a connection to my phones (I use the netstat command)
The network connection is never closed so I guess that's the cause for not spinning down the discs
Toggle wifi off/on on phone and all is OK again

marlo
2011-05-01, 08:38

Me too on Motorola Defy. Plus I am unable to use the remote functions play, stop, skip, ff, rew, etc. on my bluetooth headset (SE MW-600).

Anayway, thank you - this is, what I've been waiting for a long time

yobyot
2011-05-01, 08:47
To be honest I don't know. Does this work if you play music from any other App?
If not then I doubt it would work with SqueezePlayer.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten this to work reliably. Once -- just once! -- I got the Amazon MP3 player to play through the USB port. But then I later realized that it might have been that the Amazon player was actually playing from a hidden directory on the SD card what it had downloaded as a cache.

I might give this a try and if it works, I'll let you know.

bluegaspode
2011-05-01, 09:25
Yes i can verify it from Squeezeplayer
If I SSH to my QNAP I can see it has a connection to my phones (I use the netstat command)
The network connection is never closed so I guess that's the cause for not spinning down the discs
Toggle wifi off/on on phone and all is OK again

I cannot reproduce this (neither using Android 2.1 or 2.2), my mobile is having IP 192.168.1.112, here is my log

(SqueezePlayer stopped)

Stefan-Hansels-MacBook-Pro:~ bluegaspode$ netstat | grep 112

(no result, starting SqueezePlayer)

tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.111.slim-dev 192.168.1.112.50823 ESTABLISHED

(one connection on port 3483, that is SlimProto, now hitting the playback 'off' button)

(no result, as expected, all connections down. Turning on SqueezePlayer, starting a song)

tcp4 0 131768 192.168.1.111.cslisten 192.168.1.112.36589 ESTABLISHED
tcp4 0 0 192.168.1.111.slim-dev 192.168.1.112.38274 ESTABLISHED

(slimproto is running and one further connection to download the song. Hitting the 'off' button)

(no result, as expected)

Is your QNAP really not spinning down the harddrive, when there are network connections?
All kind of stuff will be talking to your QNAP all the time:
- the Touch and Radio will keep an open connection all the time (!) on port 3483. SqueezePlayer shuts down after 15min of nothing is playing and you didn't hit the 'Off' button
- Any other App on your phone might talk to your QNAP (Logitech App and SqueezeCommander on port 9000), even the Web-Interface is polling your server all the time to update the Now Playing screen.

bluegaspode
2011-05-01, 09:29
Plus I am unable to use the remote functions play, stop, skip, ff, rew, etc. on my bluetooth headset (SE MW-600).

Hi Marlo,

don't have a remote control (yet), so didn't implement listening to these function. Maybe an App like SqueezeCommander listens to these buttons (flattermann will know and answer here soon I guess).

If not - write me a mail to 'support(at)squeezeplayer.com' - I might be wanting to implement that and you could then do some beta testing.

mherger
2011-05-01, 23:53
> - FLAC with 24bit samplerate works now

Thanks, my track is indeed playing without converting to mp3. But I'm
still confused: it says "bitrate 815kbps VBR (converted to 1411kbps PCM)",
and flac is running on the server. Is flac now transcoded on the server
side?

--

Michael

pippin
2011-05-02, 00:49
side?

I'm seeing something similar in iPeng's playback even though there is no limitation set.
Could it be that the server always downsamples FLAC if it doesn't explicitly know that 24/96 is supported?

bluegaspode
2011-05-02, 02:31
> - FLAC with 24bit samplerate works now

side?

Whatever happens, happens 99% on the serverside :)
SqueezePlayer will accept 8bit->24 bit samplesize and samplerates up to 48kHz (I think this is the default supported by all players?)

The server will transcode/decode to PCM and I'd expect your server to send:
24bit * 2channels * 44.1kHz = 2067kbps ? (don't know if the samplerate is right - from your numbers it would only be 30kHz or my calculations are flawed).

SqueezePlayer then just 'downsamples/upsamples' the 8bit and 24bit samples to 16bit samples (i.e. using the last two bytes instead of all three, or filling up with 0).
The 'white noise' bug was just that I took the wrong bytes (Big Endian vs. Little Endian) from the 24bit pcm-stream when feeding the 16bit Android audio system.

Didn't I read elsewere on the forums that these average bitrates are not to be trusted anyway?

Started yesterday to checkout the libFLAC sources so will be a matter of one or two weeks, until we don't have to care about that anymore.

mherger
2011-05-02, 03:23
> Whatever happens, happens 99% on the serverside :)
> SqueezePlayer will accept 8bit->24 bit samplesize and samplerates up to
> 48kHz (I think this is the default supported by all players?)

Oh, but SqueezePlayer would not handle flac on the device, but receive PCM
instead? I wasn't surprised by the bitrates etc., but thought that the app
was able to receive and play flac. That's for the next version, which will
be > 1.0.x?

--

Michael

bluegaspode
2011-05-02, 03:56
> Whatever happens, happens 99% on the serverside :)
> SqueezePlayer will accept 8bit->24 bit samplesize and samplerates up to
> 48kHz (I think this is the default supported by all players?)

Oh, but SqueezePlayer would not handle flac on the device, but receive PCM
instead? I wasn't surprised by the bitrates etc., but thought that the app
was able to receive and play flac. That's for the next version, which will
be > 1.0.x?

--

Michael
Again someone not reading announcement :) FLAC right now is streamed as PCM.
Yeah - native Flac will be in 1.1.0 - due in about one or two weeks I think.

mherger
2011-05-02, 04:13
> Again someone not reading announcement :) FLAC right now is streamed as
> PCM.

Hey, I went back to read the product page before posting above statement.
It said "next version", but didn't specify whether this would be 1.0.2, or
1.1, or 2.0 :-P.

--

Michael

azaz44
2011-05-02, 06:58
Works here on Samsung Galaxy S.

Issues:
- the playback icon doesn't blend into background - you can see the square behind.
- didn't find the server, had to enter IP manually.
- it has an icon to go to Logitech Controller. This works, but it's like the Controller is always starting new - it shows "free your music" and takes time to start, even if it was already running. When starting by simply running the app, and if it was running before, it takes you instantly to the now playing screen without waiting.

Playback seems to be stable and it is a great app!

T-bird
2011-05-02, 09:03
Hi bluegaspode

An update how things working on my side

Rebooted my phone, think thats first time ever
Rebooted my nas, previous only restarting SBS

Guess what? Everything seems to work now

Sorry for making truble and thanks for the support

bluegaspode
2011-05-02, 15:00
Works here on Samsung Galaxy S.

Issues:
- the playback icon doesn't blend into background - you can see the square behind.
- didn't find the server, had to enter IP manually.
- it has an icon to go to Logitech Controller. This works, but it's like the Controller is always starting new - it shows "free your music" and takes time to start, even if it was already running. When starting by simply running the app, and if it was running before, it takes you instantly to the now playing screen without waiting.

Playback seems to be stable and it is a great app!

Hi azaz:

the icon: is actually based on Android Guidelines for notification icons (http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_status_bar.html#icon1)
I'm a bit reluctant to change that yet, as I don't know if any device has a dark grey background in the notification area.

the Logitech App: if you don't stop the Logitech App (i.e. leave it via the home button), it returns to the last menu where you left, even when started via SqueezePlayer. This works fine an all devices I tried.
If you haven't been in the Logi-App for a long time, then maybe Android decided to remove the App from the background, so it will be restarted.
Nothing I can do there - and that this App has a forced unnecessary splashscreen I cannot change :(.
In my experience using SqueezeCommander is much more convenient, as it starts much faster.

bluegaspode
2011-05-02, 15:19
Just published v1.0.3.

This version fixes any crash-report and freeze-reports I received in the last couple of days.
These were very specific already (like "on the very first start it crashed, when the server detection didn't find a server and the user left the App before the server detection popup" , so most users won't have faced them.

Thanks a lot to all of you for providing the crash-reports! These help me make the App very stable, so future users won't face any issues anymore.

I'll be starting on v1.1.0 now which will feature a native FLAC decoder and options to leave the screen turned off for all those mobiles that don't throttle the CPU too much with a turned off screen.

In the meantime the early adopter price of 0.99€ will still be valid until thursday night, as announced in the first post.

azaz44
2011-05-03, 01:49
Hi azaz:

the icon: is actually based on Android Guidelines for notification icons (http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/ui_guidelines/icon_design_status_bar.html#icon1)
I'm a bit reluctant to change that yet, as I don't know if any device has a dark grey background in the notification area.

I can live with that :)

the Logitech App: if you don't stop the Logitech App (i.e. leave it via the home button), it returns to the last menu where you left, even when started via SqueezePlayer. This works fine an all devices I tried.
If you haven't been in the Logi-App for a long time, then maybe Android decided to remove the App from the background, so it will be restarted.
Nothing I can do there - and that this App has a forced unnecessary splashscreen I cannot change :(.
In my experience using SqueezeCommander is much more convenient, as it starts much faster.

This is not much of an issue for me anymore, as SqueezeCommander just got a great update and is going to be my app of choice.

But in case you want reports about it, this is how it works here. (I evaluated more).

If Logitech app is initially started with SqueezePlayer it works as expected. Everytime I switch to it from SqueezePlayer, it is instant.

If Logitech app is started separately by running the app from Android UI, then SqueezePlayer will not switch to it, but rather start another one. Moreover, every next time I try it, is starts another one (show the splash screen again). And now I'm in logitech app and try to quit it. It asks for confirmation, than quits and guess what, I have logitech app on screen again. I have to quit it as many times as I did start it before :) So I guess many instances are started, although built-in task manager shows always only one.

I also tested the same with SqueezeCommander and here it seems to behave correctly in all cases.

Cheers

bluegaspode
2011-05-03, 04:35
If Logitech app is started separately by running the app from Android UI, then SqueezePlayer will not switch to it, but rather start another one. Moreover, every next time I try it, is starts another one (show the splash screen again). And now I'm in logitech app and try to quit it. It asks for confirmation, than quits and guess what, I have logitech app on screen again. I have to quit it as many times as I did start it before :) So I guess many instances are started, although built-in task manager shows always only one.

Interesting find, indeed I never started the Logi App first

As Michael is reading here:
It's a simple option in the manifest to make an App just start as a singleton instance and it would make a lot of sense, to just define that. No need for multiple instances just because user can have funny clickpathes on Android.

mherger
2011-05-03, 04:43
Interesting find

Indeed!

It's a simple option in the manifest to make an App just start as a singleton instance and it would make a lot of sense, to just define that. No need for multiple instances just because user can have funny clickpathes on Android.

Thanks for the heads up. I thought I had already done this. Will have to verify whether it's in trunk only and I forgot to merge back to the 1.1.x branch...

chenrikson
2011-05-04, 06:35
Still stuck with the buffering problem in that the player works fine for a minute or two, and then quits when the buffers drop to zero. I tried rebooting the Droid X with no improvement. I then tried killing a bunch of r"running" apps. This last improved the situation somewhat in that the song plays for about twice as long -- but then the buffer empties and playback stops even tho the song is not done. Does anyone have this app working on a Droid X?

Guy48065
2011-05-04, 07:37
Having a nice player app just makes me sad that SB/SBS doesn't support video. What a missed opportunity for the "complete package".

bluegaspode
2011-05-04, 08:33
Still stuck with the buffering problem in that the player works fine for a minute or two, and then quits when the buffers drop to zero. I tried rebooting the Droid X with no improvement. I then tried killing a bunch of r"running" apps. This last improved the situation somewhat in that the song plays for about twice as long -- but then the buffer empties and playback stops even tho the song is not done. Does anyone have this app working on a Droid X?

Is your Droid staying on all the time (or can you try making it not fall into any sleep situation if that makes a difference?)
Can you try what happens, when you keep it power connected, so that it does not run from battery?

Please also send me your DeviceID (there is a free App for that called DeviceID) to support(at)squeezeplayer.com and I can send you a version with debug logs enabled, that might give us a clue.

simbo
2011-05-04, 10:48
Fantastic job, works well for me!

I've even got this working over 3G. I've installed LAME to allow SBS to convert to a 3G-friendly rate. Setting this right reduces the buffering time considerably.

One possible enhancement would be to allow the bitrate to be changed via the phone UI. I'm thinking there are times I'd want higher quality (when I'm on WiFi) and times when I expect to need to use a lower rate (over 3G). Just some food for thought.

bluegaspode
2011-05-04, 11:03
Cool idea, I think I provide an option on the settings screen.
I'm not fan yet of automatically changing that yet, this seems to have confused users in iPeng on iPhone.

But on the backlog (but I guess soon to come).

I'm happy about AppStore comments and ratings by the way!
I'm also happy about users contacting me at support(at)squeezeplayer.com when they face problems before giving average rating ;)

Have fun with your playback!

Guy48065
2011-05-05, 10:12
How do you purchase this for tablet use when one doesn't have a "phone" to download to? "Phone" looks to be the only DL choice from the market so my purchase dead-ended.

dementik
2011-05-05, 11:57
Hi!

First of all thanks for the great app!

I have been using it for few days and I'd have one feature request:
When disconnecting headphones it should pause or mute.

bluegaspode
2011-05-05, 13:27
How do you purchase this for tablet use when one doesn't have a "phone" to download to? "Phone" looks to be the only DL choice from the market so my purchase dead-ended.

Hi Guy48065

I definitely don't want my app to be restricted to phone users.
The developer account only shows three restrictions: 'WiFi', 'TouchScreen' and 'ARM-processor'.
Futhermore Android 2.1 is a minimum requirement.

So I wouldn't know why the App does not show on Android market for you.
What are your device specifications?
Can you tell me some other Apps that you are able to download (I might sneek into their definitions, so free Apps preferred) ?

Other then that the only thing is maybe contacting Google support (but I'd need your device details for that).

Hi!

First of all thanks for the great app!

I have been using it for few days and I'd have one feature request:
When disconnecting headphones it should pause or mute.

Hi dementik,
what is the use-case for that? Isn't removing headphone intentional? I guess I would be pretty confused if music then just stopped (and would think this is an App error).

bluegaspode
2011-05-05, 13:42
Still stuck with the buffering problem in that the player works fine for a minute or two [...] Does anyone have this app working on a Droid X?

Is your Droid staying on all the time (or can you try making it not fall into any sleep situation if that makes a difference?)
Can you try what happens, when you keep it power connected, so that it does not run from battery?

Please also send me your DeviceID (there is a free App for that called DeviceID) to support(at)squeezeplayer.com and I can send you a version with debug logs enabled, that might give us a clue.

Hi chenrikson,
any progress? Didn't get a mail nor update from you.
One the AppStore appeared a comment "Great solution This app works great with my droid x. [...]". So this doesn't seem to be a Droid X issue?

gruntwolla
2011-05-06, 00:53
Hi there,
First of all - thanks for a great app. I decided to wait for the latest version, as most of my music is flac, and it just works - no buffering - excellent!!
Just one question please. In your OP you mentioned a manual for setting up remote streaming via 3G. Is that available yet?
Thanks again,
Trev

Muele
2011-05-06, 01:18
This is a good instruction for remote access

I think this
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2011/02/11/coolios-guide-to-remote-playback/
will more or less apply here, too.

bluegaspode
2011-05-06, 03:06
In your OP you mentioned a manual for setting up remote streaming via 3G. Is that available yet?

Hi Trevor,

my current timeline is:

finishing FLAC decoder (I'm halfway through it, shouldn't take long anymore - one or two weeks max) and some other minor enhancements
setting up a webpage + blog with instruction about 3G (in the meantime use the one linked already, it fits perfectly)
start marketing activities for SqueezePlayer

Then as everyone knows Logitech started a free App on iOS which heavily affects my sales, so I need to rework all my marketing in the iOS sector (as a first step). Right now this is all focused to compete against iPeng (which isn't the real competitor anymore).

Lot of work unfortunately that I wished I could spend on new features sooner, but this is life...

simbo
2011-05-06, 03:32
in the meantime use the one linked already, it fits perfectly
The only additional information I would suggest on top of pippin's info is to install LAME on your SB Server and downsample to a 3G-friendly rate, such as 128kbps (or if you can bear it, 96kbps). Instructions are on the wiki http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAME_for_transcoding]here.

Guy48065
2011-05-06, 07:43
Hi Guy48065

I definitely don't want my app to be restricted to phone users.
The developer account only shows three restrictions: 'WiFi', 'TouchScreen' and 'ARM-processor'.
Futhermore Android 2.1 is a minimum requirement.

So I wouldn't know why the App does not show on Android market for you.
What are your device specifications?
Can you tell me some other Apps that you are able to download (I might sneek into their definitions, so free Apps preferred) ?

Other then that the only thing is maybe contacting Google support (but I'd need your device details for that).

OS is 2.2 Froyo and Archos satisfies the other requirements named. I bought the tablet mainly to control my SB system since the normal remotes & box are too small or too far away to be seen by my middle-aged eyes :) So far I've only installed free apps (no problems) so the issue might only be with the purchase end of things. I have my CC linked to the market and was in the middle of my wifi network. My market account shows the app was bought so I don't understand why the DL didn't start.

Hoping the price won't go up while I sort this out ;-)

bluegaspode
2011-05-06, 08:47
My market account shows the app was bought so I don't understand why the DL didn't start.

If the market lets you buy the App (even if not downloaded correctly) then no restrictions applied (then you wouldn't see it on the market at all).

So just try the download again, I'm sure it will work on a second try :)

vs27
2011-05-06, 10:05
Can you add it to SlideME market?

chenrikson
2011-05-06, 13:15
Hi chenrikson,
any progress? Didn't get a mail nor update from you.
One the AppStore appeared a comment "Great solution This app works great with my droid x. [...]". So this doesn't seem to be a Droid X issue?

I haven't forgotten, just too busy. Glad to hear it is not a Droid X issue

bluegaspode
2011-05-06, 13:40
Can you add it to SlideME market?

I'm thinking about it, but didn't look yet into their conditions.
Also they have a different way of handling taxes, so this needs to be talked about first with my accountant. German tax law is very strict when it comes to VAT :(
Cannot give a timeframe yet, also depends on whether more people ask.

simbo
2011-05-06, 14:17
German tax law is very strict when it comes to VAT :(
You mean you couldn't get away with this?.... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/06/vat_fraud_id_theft

Guy48065
2011-05-06, 21:08
If the market lets you buy the App (even if not downloaded correctly) then no restrictions applied (then you wouldn't see it on the market at all).

So just try the download again, I'm sure it will work on a second try :)

Well it didn't and I've now been charged a 2nd time :(

bluegaspode
2011-05-06, 23:01
Write me a mail: support(at)squeezeplayer.com

Please provide your Google Account name and order numbers of the two purchases and we can easily sort this out.

Are you sure you have been charged the first time, where the download did not work?

Guy48065
2011-05-07, 08:06
You have mail.

bluegaspode
2011-05-08, 03:36
Anyone interested in beta-testing the native FLAC decoder?
Drop me a line to support(at)squeezeplayer.com
You should have time for testing from Monday-Wednesday, after that I plan to publish it already.

Please provide your Devide-ID (use this little App to retrieve it: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.langlearner.deviceid)

dementik
2011-05-08, 12:07
Hi dementik,
what is the use-case for that? Isn't removing headphone intentional? I guess I would be pretty confused if music then just stopped (and would think this is an App error).

Hi,

case is that I'm using this app in my car (with 3,5mm stereo plug attached to car stereo) and when I leave car I disconnect the plug to take my phone with me.

It is quite annoying (in a hurry) that I have to browse my phone to right app to press pause.

For example Spotify on android pauses music always when disconnecting plug.

Another case is when I listen music on public places with headphones and when I accidentally remove headphone I don't want it to shout my music out from phone's speaker.

Hope I'm describing this use-case understandably.

bluegaspode
2011-05-08, 12:20
Hi dementic,

sound reasonable.

For example Spotify on android pauses music always when disconnecting plug.

Is this an option in this App or do they always do that?

dementik
2011-05-08, 12:59
Is this an option in this App or do they always do that?

It's always on, there is no option for that. Although I think it should be an option (default on).

mrfantasy
2011-05-11, 07:57
here's the scenario: Traveling around campus, or town, coming in and out of Wifi/3g areas (our cable ISP also runs lots of WiFi in the area, and my Droid is configured to autoconnect to it.)

If I disable WiFi and have my Droid only connecting with 3G, it will normally just keep working when it's in 3G range. If I'm in Wifi and don't drop it it also works. But if it changes, SqueezePlayer acts like it's still connected but SqueezeCommander (for instance, but really my server) doesn't see the player anymore. I have to manually turn off and on music playback in SqueezePlayer to get it back.

Ideally, there'd be a way for SqueezePlayer to do connection monitoring and reestablish if the network shifts (and if it happens quickly enough not interrupt music playback, but that depends on caching, network speed, and how long the phone takes to renegotiate connections). At the very least it should reconnect as soon as possible and restart music playback (probably dependent on player settings).

bluegaspode
2011-05-11, 08:19
Ideally, there'd be a way for SqueezePlayer to do connection monitoring and reestablish if the network shifts (and if it happens quickly enough not interrupt music playback, but that depends on caching, network speed, and how long the phone takes to renegotiate connections). At the very least it should reconnect as soon as possible and restart music playback (probably dependent on player settings).

Mhmm - I'd think it would do that already as when moving one connection will be dropped (already by Android), SqueezePlayer will get an error code and will try to reconnect in 5 seconds. If then only the other connection type is available it will/should take it.
So for some reason I think Android is not closing the connection correctly. What Android version are you using?

Will try tonight to reproduce it somehow (but will be difficult as running around in my flat is in full WiFi range :D )

Keeping the stream playing won't work, as the download stream gets dropped and if I reastablish it, I will get the next song already.

Thanks for the suggestion

mrfantasy
2011-05-11, 18:25
I'm running CyanogenMod 7.0.3 (Android 2.3.3) on a Motorola Droid. It may be a problem with the connection dropping or reestablishment like you said. This phone is also CDMA instead of GSM and that might be affecting the behavior as well.

You could probably simulate the problem by manually turning off WiFi, but it may not be the same as losing signal.

The jumping song thing is understandable. I thought there might be an issue like that.

I'll be happy to run a test version or whatever you might need to help you figure it out. Just let me know.

Mhmm - I'd think it would do that already as when moving one connection will be dropped (already by Android), SqueezePlayer will get an error code and will try to reconnect in 5 seconds. If then only the other connection type is available it will/should take it.
So for some reason I think Android is not closing the connection correctly. What Android version are you using?

Will try tonight to reproduce it somehow (but will be difficult as running around in my flat is in full WiFi range :D )

Keeping the stream playing won't work, as the download stream gets dropped and if I reastablish it, I will get the next song already.

Thanks for the suggestion

bluegaspode
2011-05-11, 23:41
I'm running CyanogenMod 7.0.3 (Android 2.3.3) on a Motorola Droid. It may be a problem with the connection dropping or reestablishment like you said. This phone is also CDMA instead of GSM and that might be affecting the behavior as well.

You could probably simulate the problem by manually turning off WiFi, but it may not be the same as losing signal.

I did a test and I'm interested in how this behaves for you:

- connected SqueezePlayer via WiFi, it's showing 'WiFi connected'
- rebooting my router. This should simulated quite good a normal lost WiFi network (?!)
- Android needs 1-2 seconds to realize that WiFi is lost and removes the WiFi icon.
SqueezePlayer shows a short 'no network', followed by a '3G connecting ...'

(In my case I have not port forwarding set up, so it won't connect)

- WiFi returns, Android sets up WiFi connection, SqueezePlayer reconnects via WiFi.

I guess the first three steps should be the same for you - and I don't have a better idea how to simulate leaving the WiFi area to make Android switch to 3G. But as expected SqueezePlayer realized that it's connection is lost and tries to reconnect (via whatever network channel Android has set up).

I'm not sure how the last one will behave for you, but my understanding is, that Android only supports one connection type at a time, so it might be the same for you, if your Android decides to drop the 3G connection in favor of WiFi.

mrfantasy
2011-05-12, 18:43
I did something similar, except turned off WiFi on the phone and turned it back on:

1) Wifi off: reconnect with 3G, rebuffered new song, as you predicted.
2) Wifi on: song kept playing as Wifi connected, but buffer emptied, song stopped. Although SqueezePlayer reports "WiFi connected" there is no buffering or music playback.
3) Wifi off again: Goes to "3G connected", no buffering, no playback.

The server, however, still sees the player, and looks like it's still playing to it if you look at it via the web interface. When it gets to the end of the song the remaining timer keeps going up and the song length also increases (I've seen this with other communications problems with the server.)
Eventually SqueezePlayer just hangs, if I haven't turned playback off and on.

gruntwolla
2011-05-13, 04:34
Fantastic job, works well for me!

I've even got this working over 3G. I've installed LAME to allow SBS to convert to a 3G-friendly rate. Setting this right reduces the buffering time considerably.

One possible enhancement would be to allow the bitrate to be changed via the phone UI. I'm thinking there are times I'd want higher quality (when I'm on WiFi) and times when I expect to need to use a lower rate (over 3G). Just some food for thought.

Hi Simbo,
Would you be willing to help a fellow Hertfordhire resident who is not confident enough to mess around with router settings/port forwarding etc. I have Windows 7,a Dlink router and a htc desire

I'm obviously willing to pay for your time.

Regards,

Trevor

simbo
2011-05-14, 09:12
Hi Simbo,
Would you be willing to help a fellow Hertfordhire resident who is not confident enough to mess around with router settings/port forwarding etc. I have Windows 7,a Dlink router and a htc desire

I'm obviously willing to pay for your time.

Regards,

Trevor
I'll PM you when I get a chance. Hopefully we can get you up and running without any need for visits or payment!

bluegaspode
2011-05-14, 11:22
Hi folks!

I just uploaded version 1.1.0 to the AppStore! A lot of sleepless nights went into this new version so here we are:

native FLAC support - saves a lot of bandwidth in your network when you play FLAC
support for media-buttons (play/stop/prev/next) if one connects headphones having those buttons
display is allowed to go off now, saving you some battery life
new setting 'observe headphones': if you want to stop playback when you unplug your headphones
experimental support for synchronization: songs won't drift apart anymore when SqueezePlayer is synchronized to a Squeezebox.
Be aware that (in my experience) Androids sound system is a little mess: high latencies and inaccurate timing might spoil your experience, so whether this feature works for you is very device dependent.

I'll be focussing now on creating a website and a manual for streaming all your tunes via 3G.

mrfantasy
2011-05-14, 16:24
I'm having a problem with 1.1.0 on the Motorola Xoom WiFi--it just crashes on startup. This is running Android 3.1 (just got that upgrade this morning) so that might be the problem. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to test the previous version of SqueezePlayer on 3.1. I sent feedback so hopefully you have some information you can use to fix it. Again, happy to test anything. App is working as advertised on my Droid.

bluegaspode
2011-05-14, 16:48
Hi mrfantasy, thanks for the report.
Not having 3G is the problem (as will be the case for some tablets).

just uploaded version 1.1.1 to the market. Should be fixing the problem .
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

mrfantasy
2011-05-15, 04:15
That fixed it! Thanks for the quick response.

mrfantasy
2011-05-15, 04:17
It looks like the Squeeze Player problems on my Droid running Cyanogenmod are likely due to problems with the Droid reconnecting when switching from WiFi to 3G:

http://cvpcs.org/blog/2011-05-15/let_s_get_this_thing_started_again

So I'm going to assume that's the issue and not look for a solution from SqueezePlayer until I hear the problem is fixed on their end.

I did something similar, except turned off WiFi on the phone and turned it back on:

1) Wifi off: reconnect with 3G, rebuffered new song, as you predicted.
2) Wifi on: song kept playing as Wifi connected, but buffer emptied, song stopped. Although SqueezePlayer reports "WiFi connected" there is no buffering or music playback.
3) Wifi off again: Goes to "3G connected", no buffering, no playback.

The server, however, still sees the player, and looks like it's still playing to it if you look at it via the web interface. When it gets to the end of the song the remaining timer keeps going up and the song length also increases (I've seen this with other communications problems with the server.)
Eventually SqueezePlayer just hangs, if I haven't turned playback off and on.

gruntwolla
2011-05-16, 05:58
I'll PM you when I get a chance. Hopefully we can get you up and running without any need for visits or payment!

tgoward2011@googlemail.com

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

lrossouw
2011-05-16, 15:21
Hi

Would love to buy the app through the market. I'm based in South Africa and we recently got paid apps rolled out, however I can't seem to buy your app. I have bought SqueezeCommander through an alternative app market before. I am able to buy other apps.

Is this perhaps a setting on your side that needs to change?

Regards
Louis

bluegaspode
2011-05-16, 15:53
I don't have specific settings that will limit the App to any country nor device.
The only restrictions that apply for SqueezePlayer are 'wifi' and 'touchscreen'.
Do you have a custom ROM? I had a user with custom ROM need to change the fingerprint to see the App as it uses native code.

What me and SqueezeCommander also do use is the Android market licensing. Maybe this one is still not rolled out to your country? Can you ask Google Support about this?

lrossouw
2011-05-17, 00:55
I'm running 2.2.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S. So I'd imagine it should work. I did download the ROM via XDA developers but I was pretty sure it is a standard ROM. How can I check if that's the issue.

bluegaspode
2011-05-17, 04:02
How can I check if that's the issue.

To be honest: I don't know. Trying with the official ROM first?

This is what a user with a custom ROM wrote me, how he resolved the issue:

My tablet is generic with a fingerprint not recognised by the Market. Changing the fingerprint was not enough, i had to also clear the cache and stop the services framework.
I was very relieved when squeezeplayer then appeared on the market.

I didn't understand what he was up to, but maybe this helps you.

ltb76
2011-05-17, 05:00
Hi,

Great APP.

I have one small feature request.
Would it be possible to get Squeeze Player to start a VPN connection if on 3G, or even better. To start a VPN connection if it is not on the “HOME” network / connected to a specific WiFi hotspot?

Cheers,

bluegaspode
2011-05-17, 06:25
Would it be possible to get Squeeze Player to start a VPN connection if on 3G, or even better. To start a VPN connection if it is not on the “HOME” network / connected to a specific WiFi hotspot?

If 'starting a VPN connection' was easy I'd do that.
I found a library that creates SSH tunnel and will play around with it a bit. But don't expect anything working in the next too month.

My ToDo list is filled with other stuff right now and my family is demanding as well :)

martyall
2011-05-17, 20:48
I'm using also the squeeze player. And for me it is the best of all software I've used. :D

Snyrkill
2011-05-18, 03:59
Hi.

Iceland was just added to countries that can buy apps on the Market. Apparently, apps that were on sale before that happened are still unavailable for purchase. Would it be possible for you to check specifically the Iceland check box so I can buy this app? Right now I am unable to do that :-(

Best regards,
-S

bluegaspode
2011-05-18, 04:24
Hi.

Iceland was just added to countries that can buy apps on the Market.

I rechecked my developer account and my selection 'All Countries' was indeed gone.
Don't know why Google doesn't inform developers.

@lrossouw, please check again as well, this might influence your market experience in South Africa as well.
Sorry that I didn't click through all google pages before but just trusted the 'All Countries' selection.

wilbur48
2011-05-19, 07:45
I've been waiting for this option since I set up my Squeezebox system over the last two years. I have an Evo 4G that I'm trying to stream to. I have my SBS 7.5.4 setup on a ReadyNASDuo which has been upgraded with 1GB of RAM. My ISP has 3MB upload so I have more than sufficient streaming bandwidth. I already stream to my office using Squeeze Play and it works perfectly. I also have a Dyn DNS established that works as well. I have both Squeeze Commander and Logitech's Squeezebox Controller up and running on my Evo.

My problem is setting up the SqueezePlayer. When on my home network, Squeezeplayer recognizes the SBS, but neither Commander nor Controller allow me to access my music. I know you're working on an installation manual, but any ideas on how to get 3G streaming working?

simbo
2011-05-19, 08:06
I know you're working on an installation manual, but any ideas on how to get 3G streaming working?

Here are some instructions I put together for Gruntwolla. If people think they're useful I'll create a wiki page and flesh them out a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) SECURITY

If you haven't already done so, you'll need to put a password onto your Squeezebox Server. From the SBS web site, go to Settings, Advanced, Security (from the drop-down list) and put a password on the admin account. You'll need to use this password when you log into the web site in the future, and depending on what SB devices you own you might be prompted (only once) to add it there too (IIRC the Controller, Radio and Touch require it). More good info here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Connecting_remotely).

2) PORT FORWARDING

Using portforward.com, find your router make/model and look up the instructions for adding entries to your routing table. SBS is unlikely be in the applications list, but you can look at others for examples.

Using those instructions, add entries on the following ports to your SB Server*.
- 9000 TCP
- 3483 TCP
- 3483 UDP

* Many routers allow you enter a Computer Name rather than an IP address. This is particularly useful if your SB Server doesn't have a static IP address. If you need to enter an IP address, it's recommended you put your SB Server on a static IP address.

3) DNS

If your router supports Dynamic DNS, you can create a friendly name to access your server remotely using one of the (free) DNS services out there. Doing this will ensure if your ISP changes your external IP address, your friendly name will still reach your server.
- One of the standard ones is DynDNS (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/). You can create a free hostname (e.g. yourname.dyndns.org) that's linked to your external IP address. Just try to avoid their constant upselling prompts!
- Find the place on your router settings that allows you to specify the Dynamic DNS information (once again, portforward.com is a good place for info)
- Choose which service you use from the drop-down list and enter the credentials you have from registering with the service.

If you don't have a router that supports this, many services have a small program you can download that'll do the work instead. Or you can simply access via your external IP address (http://www.whatsmyip.org/) and accept it may change.

4) BITRATE LIMITING

As 3G may struggle with high-bitrate files (or you may be worried about eating through your allowance), you should install LAME onto your SB Server and enforce bitrate limiting on your Android player. Full instructions here (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/LAME_for_transcoding), but in summary (for Windows users)...
- Go to http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php and download the latest LAME release as a zip
- Extract LAME.EXE from the zip and place it in C:\Program Files\Squeezebox\server\bin on your SB Server
- When your Android player is connected, go to the Player tab on the SB Settings web page, select your Android player, then the Audio settings)
- Change Bitrate Limiting for that player from "No Limit" to 96 or 128 kbps (or whatever you're happy with)

5) ON YOUR PHONE

- Go into SqueezePlayer and go to Settings
- Enter the Manual Server Address as your friendly DNS name (e.g. yourname.dyndns.org) or external IP address.
- Enter your user name and password under Authentication
- Turn off the Automatic WiFi setting
- Assuming you want to control the music too, you'll need to set up a manual server in SqueezeController (or whatever you use) with the same server name.

HossMandu
2011-05-19, 08:54
Unless I missed it in this forum, I'm anxiously awaiting the step by step instructions for getting this to work over mobile network (3g or 4g). I'm a complete networking noob, so I would not know where to start, somewhat familiar with port forwarding, but know nothing about DynamicDNS.

BTW, app works fantastic over WiFi on my new Samsung Charge.

Thanks!

Hoss

Hilarious, pressed "post" and there it was! Thanks.

bluegaspode
2011-05-19, 09:43
My website became a reality this week (www.squeezeplayer.com) and I already started to write my first instructions (but still hidden until completed).

I hope to have it finished on the weekend or so.

Simbo - thanks a lot for these instructions in the meantime!

lrossouw
2011-05-19, 10:04
I don't have specific settings that will limit the App to any country nor device.
The only restrictions that apply for SqueezePlayer are 'wifi' and 'touchscreen'.
Do you have a custom ROM? I had a user with custom ROM need to change the fingerprint to see the App as it uses native code.

What me and SqueezeCommander also do use is the Android market licensing. Maybe this one is still not rolled out to your country? Can you ask Google Support about this?

Thanks it was just a time issue. They were slowly rolling out paid app support, so some apps were ready and some weren't. Succesfully installed your app now.

bluegaspode
2011-05-20, 15:56
v1.1.2 was release to the AppStore, fixing some rare crashs and freezes:

- one some tablets the native FLAC decoder didn't work
- when skipping FLAC tracks very fast, SqueezePlayer could freeze
- when using Media Buttons while playback was off, SP crashed

As always: if anything is not to your expectations, drop me a note: support(at)squeezeplayer.com

By the way: The tutorial on my website for activating 3G is finished with the most important parts. Take a look here and tell me what you think:
http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/how-to-connect-via-3g/

wilbur48
2011-05-22, 04:46
Thanks for getting me going in the right direction. It works, but it takes a while for it to load. Any ideas on how to speed things up? I can't install Lame on my Duo and I did notice that AAC files tend to stutter. MP3s work fine though.

bluegaspode
2011-05-24, 13:12
SqueezePlayer is now also available on AndroidPit

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer/Squeeze-Player

AndroidPit is available in all countries and you can pay via ClickAndBuy or PayPal.
So if you either have no credit card or Android Market is not available in your country, AndroidPit gives you access to SqueezePlayer as well.

rdeckard
2011-05-27, 14:33
This. Is. AWESOME!

Been coming here off and on over the past few months looking for an update.
Just purchased the app and I couldn't be happier! Now my friends with iPhones/iPads aren't the only ones who can do this.

A few things I've noticed in the first moments after setting things up:

1- Logitech's own control app doesn't seem to work when you are trying to connect via WAN/3G to your home SqueezeBox Server. It would not see the server no matter what I tried, therefore it would not see the player (my Droid X) either. SqueezeCommander picked everything right up. Am I missing something?

2- As someone here mentioned earlier, I think the ability to manually "close" the app completely would be a good idea.

3- If I choose a track from my home library via SqueezeCommander and either press and hold/select "play now", it will start, but back at the player page the play button feedback still shows the play symbol, not pause. You have to hit it 2x to get it in sync. Is this a SqueezeCommander issue?

I want to also add that the tutorials on your site are really well thought-out and implemented. Nice job!

Please keep up the great work and THANK YOU so much!

bluegaspode
2011-05-27, 15:33
Hi rdeckard,

thanks a lot for these kind words!
Some answers to your questions:

1- Logitech's own control app doesn't seem to work when you are trying to connect via WAN/3G to your home SqueezeBox Server. It would not see the server no matter what I tried, therefore it would not see the player (my Droid X) either. SqueezeCommander picked everything right up. Am I missing something?

No, you didn't miss anything.
In Logitechs App you cannot enter a custom server address, so it will only work on your local network, and only if it's able to autodetect your server.
For streaming/remote controlling via WAN/3G SqueezeCommander is your best bet.

2- As someone here mentioned earlier, I think the ability to manually "close" the app completely would be a good idea.

If you turn playback off (so the icon in the status bar is away) and then close the App via the back-button, it's closed completely.
Android might still show it in it's task manager - but that's the Android way of closing Apps - it keeps them in memory as long as no other App requires the memory.

As long as you don't see the playback icon in the status bar, SqueezePlayer won't take any CPU cycles.

3- If I choose a track from my home library via SqueezeCommander and either press and hold/select "play now", it will start, but back at the player page the play button feedback still shows the play symbol, not pause. You have to hit it 2x to get it in sync. Is this a SqueezeCommander issue?

Yes, I think so.
It's actually a Squeezebox issue - hitting play just sends the command to the server - the server in turn answers back and request to change the play symbol into a pause symbol.
So there will always be some lag - and it will be longer the slower your network connection is.

bluegaspode
2011-05-29, 15:21
For anyone interested:

I just finished my final chapter about securing the remote connection via a SSH tunnel.
http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/3g-part-5-secure-your-communication-channel/

I'm very interested if the way described is working for you (and the instructions are good enough).
But be aware - for this way to work you need to have

- a linux based Squeezebox-Server, that can be reached with SSH (windows/mac should work as well, but don't come with SSH access out of the box)
- a rooted Android phone/tablet to make the needed App 'SqueezeTunnel' work.

I do know that these prerequisites may be already too high for some/most(?) people - on the other hand this was the most easiest way I could find to have a real secure solution.
All other options I am aware of (like setting up a VPN) are much more complicated (and would need a rooted device as well).

gruntwolla
2011-05-31, 04:42
Hi again folks,
I tried posting this as a new thread in general discussion - loads of views but no replies as yet, hence the repeat question here,

Has anybody out there experienced any problems after applying a username/password to the SB server? Thanks to a lot of help from Simco, I can now successfully stream to my android phone over 3G, but only without security on the SB server. I've tried twice now, and both times it has caused big problems, in that I can no longer access web remote control, nor use squeezecommander/squeezeplayer/duet. I could only play music with the classic and the boom using the supplied Logitech remotes. Eventually I had to uninstall and reinstall the server to get it all going again.

The second time I tried with Windows 7 firewall temporarily disabled - same result.

Any ideas/pointers to a relevant thread or wiki for what I'm sure is a pretty obvious solution much appreciated.

Trevor

bluegaspode
2011-05-31, 09:56
usually all devices should be asking you for username+password.
Personally I don't use username+password too often, so cannot share too much experience here.

One possibility to solve you problem might be to use a secure internet connection for streaming via 3G. Then you won't need the username+password in the Squeezebox Server.

As you say you have a Windows 7 Server running, you need to find some way to install a SSH-Server on it.
A quick Google Search revealed the following tutorial:
http://www.techmalaya.com/2009/08/05/setup-ssh-server-for-windows-freesshd/

Steps don't look too complicated.

If this is working, you can work from there with my own tutorial about setting up a SSH tunnel for SqueezePlayer, see here:
http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/3g-part-5-secure-your-communication-channel/

bobkoure
2011-06-02, 19:17
I have SqueezePlayer and SqueezeCommander installed on a Viewsonic GTablet (running TnT Lite 4.4 / Android 2.2).

I'm having an odd problem with the interplay between volume settings in Android and SP.

If I set the volume at the level I want (near the top - inefficient headphones), I can start SP and the volume stays at that level

If I try setting the volume with either SC or the web UI causes it to jump back to 50%.

In the web UI, if I try to increase the volume for this player, it increases to 50%, another click of the "increase volume" icon and the volume drops back to 25%.

Any notion of whether it's supposed to work this way?

Thanks!

bluegaspode
2011-06-02, 22:18
Hi bobkoure,
It should definitely work both ways: changing volume on tablet will change volume in the Web-UI after some seconds.
Changing volume in Web-UI will change volume on tablet indtantly.

Typically phones have 16 volume levels. When you say it jumps to 25% and 50% it makes me believe yours only got 4 (at least based on the API)
Please write a mail to support@squeezeplayer.com I'll provide you with a version, that will write log files for further analysis.

mkanet
2011-06-03, 05:10
Sorry if this has been brought up before, but how do I use my bluetooth earpiece? When I'm driving in my car, I can't hear the speaker on my phone. If I press the button on my bluetooth earpiece, I can hear audio coming from SqueezePlayer for a few seconds before my android device asks me to... "Speak Now" (android native bluetooth support). Then, I lose audio from my earpiece.

This is extremely useful for all the talk-radio stations such as Howard Stern, etc. The only time I really need to use Squeezeplayer during my drive to work.

Are bluetooth speakers not supported either?

bluegaspode
2011-06-03, 05:28
Hi mkanet,

how bluetooth works is totally up to your Android and your earpiece.

Here we had one user where it is working: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=628427&highlight=bluetooth#post628427

SqueezePlayer just hands over the stream to android (like any other music player would do as well), without manipulating anything on the output chain.

When you see 'Speak Now', your earpiece told Android 'mkanet wants to call someone, let him speak the number'.
I don't know if your earpiece is just for calling someone or if there is some special mode to just listen to the stream. Guess you need to look that up on the manual of your earpiece.

mkanet
2011-06-03, 06:01
I think the link you pointed out to us for bluetooth stereo headsets; which work differently than single speaker earpieces. They are different bluetooth services; hence treated differently by the OS (this is true under any platform that uses standard bluetooth protocol). Bluetooth earpieces "can" be explicitly defined to be used as the active speaker (per app basis). The OS has native support for bluetooth earpieces that's relatively limited (making phone calls, global system commands). I actually have 3 completely different earpieces; they all comply to bluetooth protocol standards and what's builtin to the Android OS.

Anyway, I was hoping you wouldnt mind testing this yourself to see what Im talking about.

Hi mkanet,

how bluetooth works is totally up to your Android and your earpiece.

Here we had one user where it is working: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=628427&highlight=bluetooth#post628427

SqueezePlayer just hands over the stream to android (like any other music player would do as well), without manipulating anything on the output chain.

When you see 'Speak Now', your earpiece told Android 'mkanet wants to call someone, let him speak the number'.
I don't know if your earpiece is just for calling someone or if there is some special mode to just listen to the stream. Guess you need to look that up on the manual of your earpiece.

bobkoure
2011-06-03, 06:48
There are a few apps out there that supposedly take an audio stream intended for bluetooth A2DP (for stereo headphones) and redirect to mono (like a phone single-ear headset).
The only one I can remember is BTMono, but there are a number of others.

bluegaspode
2011-06-03, 07:07
I think the link you pointed out to us for bluetooth stereo headsets; which work differently than single speaker earpieces. They are different bluetooth services; hence treated differently by the OS (this is true under any platform that uses standard bluetooth protocol). Bluetooth earpieces "can" be explicitly defined to be used as the active speaker (per app basis). The OS has native support for bluetooth earpieces that's relatively limited (making phone calls, global system commands). I actually have 3 completely different earpieces; they all comply to bluetooth protocol standards and what's builtin to the Android OS.

Anyway, I was hoping you wouldnt mind testing this yourself to see what Im talking about.

I don't have a mono headset (nor a stereo one ;) ) yet. I use the phones out as my car has an aux in.
Good old cables :) not modern bluetooth stuff.

Reading about those Apps I realize that something might be cared of to route the stereo output to mono headphones, but I'd need googling about them first as well. In the meantime those Apps look exactly like what you need to use?
If I find out how they work and if it's not too complicated I might consider implementing such a feature in SqueezePlayer as well.

Thanks bobkoure for the headsup!

mkanet
2011-06-03, 09:20
Thanks guys. I'll try that app in the meantime until there's native support for it. I currently dock my phone in the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMk7PKK9MM It would be my dream if one day all I had to do is press one icon to start the SB client, then automatically see a list of favorite radio station presets (just like a normal FM radio), and select the radio station to play (regardless if the audio is on my earpiece or bluetooth stereo speakers). Currently, it requires several tedious steps and apps to do something extremely simple... to just pick a radio station preset to play when you get into your car on your bluetooth earpiece. Of course, this would require the cooperation of the Squeeze Commmander developer to help make both apps seamless and hassle-free... combining all into a simple radio app/client that can be listened to on a user-defined audio output (bluetooth earpiece, stereo bluetooth, phone speaker, analog audio 1/8" mini-jack.

Thanks,
MKANET

I don't have a mono headset (nor a stereo one ;) ) yet. I use the phones out as my car has an aux in.
Good old cables :) not modern bluetooth stuff.

Reading about those Apps I realize that something might be cared of to route the stereo output to mono headphones, but I'd need googling about them first as well. In the meantime those Apps look exactly like what you need to use?
If I find out how they work and if it's not too complicated I might consider implementing such a feature in SqueezePlayer as well.

Thanks bobkoure for the headsup!

SpeedyM
2011-06-03, 16:31
Thanks guys. I have a rooted nook color running SqueezeCommander and I've tested it now with SqueezePlayer. Works great! These are two excellent Android apps. Does anyone know how to rename of the SqueezePlayer virtual device? It shows up on my SQZCommander as "LogicPD Zoom2" .
Thanks in advance.
Speedy

bluegaspode
2011-06-03, 20:46
Hi SpeedyM,

it's not possible yet to rename the device right now. SqueezePlayer uses the official model name of your firmware.
I'm thinking about providing an option on the settings screen but that's not available yet.

Martin_z
2011-06-05, 03:33
Using SqueezeCommander and SqueezePlayer on an HTC Desire S - works well using wireless and over 3G (just with a password, not using a tunnel). Excellent work - well done!

However, I still have the issue that SqueezePlayer claims to be stopped and disconnected, but SqueezeCommander (and the web interface to the Squeezebox Server) says it's a working player. And if you ask the web interface or SqueezeCommander to play music for the player, the phone starts playing it. If you then open SqueezePlayer, it STILL claims it's not playing and not connected - and if you try to start it, it gets totally confused and you get mixed music of the songs playing over each other.

The only way out seems to be to find the service and force close it on the phone. It's not shown as a running service, but if you find it under all services and close it, it does go away.

It's not a disaster - just an annoyance. But it's a bit odd.

bluegaspode
2011-06-05, 04:53
Hi Martin,

just found a bug, that changing settings while playback was off, could start such a hidden service.

Just uploaded version 1.1.5 to the AppStore - guess it will be available in about an hour or so, please give it a try if it resolves your problem.

Martin_z
2011-06-05, 05:45
I was just about to report a further problem, almost certainly related...

I stopped SqueezePlayer. I then restarted it, and it starting playing the track on the playlist. I then used SqueezeCommander to change to a different track. And it did. Unfortunately, it ALSO continued playing the old one...!!!

I'll see how the new version behaves. (How do I upgrade - just redownload over the old one?)

bluegaspode
2011-06-05, 07:14
I'll see how the new version behaves. (How do I upgrade - just redownload over the old one?)

If you go into the market App under 'My Apps' it should give you a button to upgrade.
Or you surf to the App again.

And your latest issue also sounds like there is a second hidden player in the background (which will be fixed with the udpate)

Martin_z
2011-06-05, 09:07
Yes - that's exactly what I thought. I've had similar problems occasionally with Squeezebox in the past, especially when playing with Softsqueeze or Squeezeslave.

But the latest version now seems great.

I use a Seagate Dockstar for my server (kudos to squeezeplug.de!) and it struggled over the phone system with flacs - but the suggestion of using Shine just worked.

Excellent app.

If I might just echo the suggestion of a widget?

bluegaspode
2011-06-05, 13:04
If I might just echo the suggestion of a widget?

Is it really needed? Right now it's just two clicks to get the App running (starting + hitting the on button, if it isn't on by default).
A 1x1 Widget wouldn't give you much advantage, would it? Just put the App icons, where you'd put the widget?

simbo
2011-06-05, 13:56
Is it really needed? Right now it's just two clicks to get the App running (starting + hitting the on button, if it isn't on by default).
A 1x1 Widget wouldn't give you much advantage, would it? Just put the App icons, where you'd put the widget?
I agree, there's already Squidget (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=86993) for this. IMHO better quality solutions can be delivered when there's focus on a narrow set of requirements. Let each stream (choosing music and um... streaming) develop independently.

steve0564
2011-06-06, 01:17
BTW, is there a german thread for this wonderful app in this forum, too?

bluegaspode
2011-06-06, 02:02
BTW, is there a german thread for this wonderful app in this forum, too?

Not yet, didn't do translations yet of the App description so wanted to wait for that.
If you want to discuss something in German feel free to open a thread earlier.

steve0564
2011-06-07, 23:31
If you want to discuss something in German feel free to open a thread earlier.

http://www.squeezebox-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1095 ;-))

jakebake
2011-06-14, 21:16
trying to get this setup and have some questions...

I got this working over wifi(it is great!!)

nd I am now trying to set it up over 3g.
I am using an asus transformer so I don't have 3g on it but I am tethering via bluetooth and connected to the internet.

I found your steps on setting up 3g and made my name: host.dyndns.org and had it activated.
I didn't setup a static mac address yet though because I am having trouble finding where to do this on my router. It shouldn't change too often so I figured I could do this later?

I setup port forwarding for 9000 and 3483...am I supposed to use the IP address of my server (using a vortexbox with all my music on it)?

So those are the steps I have done so far and when going into squeezeplayer it just says no network under connection and I get a pop up that says "Turn on wifi? Your mobile is not connected via wifi. Without special setup on your router squeezeplayer will not be able to connect to your squeeze server without wifi."

So where do I go from here??

Edit: Figured out my Mac address for vortexbox but now not sure if I am putting it in the right place.
Only thing I can find is DHCP Server with "static leases" where I can put in mac address, IP, host name, and client lease time (no idea what to put here)
Is that even the right spot?

If it was it is still not working

bluegaspode
2011-06-14, 22:28
I'm not sure SqueezePlayer is able to recognize your Bluetooth connection as a valid internet connection and is trying a connection at all.

Does it say 'connecting' on the main screen or 'no connection'
The pop-up with missing WiFi is the default. One can deactivated it in the settings of SqueezePlayer.

To see if your router is set up correctly, try to surf to http://yourserver.dyndns.org:9000 in the browser of your phone/tablet. You should be seeing the web interface of your server then.

jakebake
2011-06-14, 22:50
I'm not sure SqueezePlayer is able to recognize your Bluetooth connection as a valid internet connection and is trying a connection at all.

Does it say 'connecting' on the main screen or 'no connection'
The pop-up with missing WiFi is the default. One can deactivated it in the settings of SqueezePlayer.

To see if your router is set up correctly, try to surf to http://yourserver.dyndns.org:9000 in the browser of your phone/tablet. You should be seeing the web interface of your server then.

hmm maybe that is it...
hopefully this is not the case or can be fixed? The transformer has no 3g

I went to http://yourserver.dyndns.org:9000 and it indeed pulled up the web interface for squeezebox server.
and when trying it over bluetooth it just says no connection

Edit: update .. if I go to http://yourserver.dyndns.org:9000 in the browser but over bluetooth tether connection i can choose my transformer as a player and it does work that way. So weird it is not working in squeezeplayer

bluegaspode
2011-06-15, 02:01
Does SqueezePlayer says 'connecting ...' on the main screen or 'no connection' when you set up the Bluetooth Tethering?

I can have a look into it by the end of the week, but would need to send you a custom version if SqueezePlayer right now says 'no connection'.
Please contact me via support(at)squeezeplayer.com so that I have your e-mail address.

jakebake
2011-06-15, 08:44
Does SqueezePlayer says 'connecting ...' on the main screen or 'no connection' when you set up the Bluetooth Tethering?

I can have a look into it by the end of the week, but would need to send you a custom version if SqueezePlayer right now says 'no connection'.
Please contact me via support(at)squeezeplayer.com so that I have your e-mail address.

Squeezeplayer does say No connection. I sent you my email address just now. I really appreciate the help!

jarome
2011-06-15, 14:35
Is there a way to set up squeezebox server to only require passwords from networks other than 192.168.1.x? I bought the app, but refunded it when I realized that my other 6 devices would all have to be redone with a password.

bluegaspode
2011-06-15, 14:43
Is there a way to set up squeezebox server to only require passwords from networks other than 192.168.1.x? I bought the app, but refunded it when I realized that my other 6 devices would all have to be redone with a password.

If you enable security it's a global setting affecting all players of course.
What's the problem with entering the password on all devices?

Other than that the only solution not to require a password is with either
- setting up a VPN (probably only easy when the router supports that) or
- using a SSH tunnel

because the password is then handled by the network/tunnel and the Squeezebox Server is not affected.

jarome
2011-06-16, 07:34
If you enable security it's a global setting affecting all players of course.
What's the problem with entering the password on all devices?

Other than that the only solution not to require a password is with either
- setting up a VPN (probably only easy when the router supports that) or
- using a SSH tunnel

because the password is then handled by the network/tunnel and the Squeezebox Server is not affected.

SubAir is an easier solution that I can use on my cell phones to stream my library. It then does not affect my Squeeze devices.
I enabled security on my Squeezebox server and am now locked out! The password entry box does not stay up long enough for me to enter the whole password! What do I do?

bluegaspode
2011-06-16, 10:01
I enabled security on my Squeezebox server and am now locked out! The password entry box does not stay up long enough for me to enter the whole password! What do I do?

On what device is the password entry box not staying up long enough?

jarome
2011-06-16, 10:26
On my Web browser--Chrome 12. I start filling in the box, and it disappears as I type.

If I have a password set, SoftSqueeze does not seem to need a password to access music on the server. So, if I open up my firewall for external access, what prevents anyone from using my server?

bluegaspode
2011-06-16, 12:30
Using Chrome as well and it doesn't happen here. Really strange.
Tried another browser?

About SoftSqueeze: it mostly communicates via port 3483, which is not password protected at all. So surfing the music library will work from the outside, but softsqueeze at least cannot control any other player (nor can any of the older Squeezeboxes that use port 3483).

I'd expect Softsqueeze still to use port 9000 (which is password protected) when you try to play something from your local library. So that should only work when username+password are provided.

As written in my blog: my definition for 'security' is different from Logitech thats why I'd always suggest using a SSH Tunnel or OpenVPN (also with any other streaming solution by the way).

lrossouw
2011-06-17, 09:10
Is there anyway to change the device name? When I change mine it always reverts back to a poorly formatted device name?

bluegaspode
2011-06-17, 11:53
It's not possible to change yet.

If I find a free hour on the weekend I might implement the playername as a setting.

lrossouw
2011-06-18, 03:29
It's not possible to change yet.

If I find a free hour on the weekend I might implement the playername as a setting.

Thanks!

bluegaspode
2011-06-22, 14:21
As always stuff that I think will take me only an hour on the weekend, turn out to have some catch.

Anyway, I proudly present version 1.1.6 now:

- you can change the name that SqueezePlayers uses to register on your server now in the settings
- support for some uncommon network connection types (i.e. bluetooth tethering)

I'd be very happy if some more people click on these star icons on Android market.
Stars make developers happy, give plenty of them :D

lrossouw
2011-06-22, 15:34
Anyway, I proudly present version 1.1.6 now:

- you can change the name that SqueezePlayers uses to register on your server now in the settings

Seems to work for me.

tomasito
2011-06-25, 21:09
Hello Stefan,

I have been using the squeeze player on my vibrant running 2.2 (froyo) with no issues.
I upgraded to 2.3 (gingerbread) today.
Now it displays the error "license verification failed" it wants me to buy the app again! I already bought it. This is not a 0.99 cent app,but it cost $4.27
Do I really need to by again the app, just because I upgraded to 2.3
other app doesn't require me to buy it again
how do I fix this?

bluegaspode
2011-06-25, 21:27
Are you using an official Rom?
Make sure your Google account is configured correctly and you have an internet connection when starting SqueezePlayer.

When you surf the market it should show purchased/installed?

You shouldn't be forced to buy again, if it doesn't work after your next try, please contact me at support(at)squeezeplayer.com so we can analyze your logs for an exact errormessage and resolve this with or without Google.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I'm sure we get this resolved very fast.

tomasito
2011-06-25, 21:31
Hello Stefan and everybody,
I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling and installing the app again,
This time it worked!

Winterhasarrived
2011-06-27, 16:22
I'm trying to run the app on a version of android running on x86 hardware. Anyone had any success doing so, as I am just told - "installation unsuccessful"

Cheers, John

bluegaspode
2011-06-27, 22:18
In x86 Android market should not show the App at all.

Anyway: SqueezePlayer uses native code for decoding music, otherwise it would be much too slow.
Right now this is only compiled for ARM.

What tablet/phone is running on x86?

Winterhasarrived
2011-06-30, 13:23
Hi - It's running on an O2 joggler, which folks have been putting android on. It's a perfect little device to use in a audio streaming setup.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=176

It might show it in the market as I bough the app on my phone?

bluegaspode
2011-06-30, 14:28
Is Android market installed on this device (otherwise license checking would not work)?
I might look into compiling for x86 and could provide you with a custom version.

Don't know if this is officially supported though by Google, as they are no official x86 devices available? Will look into it at the weekend.

Please write me your mail address to support(at)squeezeplayer.com

Winterhasarrived
2011-06-30, 16:20
Hi - it won't be supported by google - it's very DIY.

The page I linked to seems to be the main resource on running Android on the joggler.

Through a few tweaks and hacks they have managed to get the market running on it.

I'll send you a message with contact details but I'm not so techy so you might want to pop something on that thread to see what the other users have to say.

ja2038
2011-07-04, 17:49
It's the lightning strikes monsoon season where I live, and my UPS died, so I have turned off my squeezebox server and its disk drives until Amazon can send me a new UPS.

But that doesn't mean I don't want my precious tunes!

I see that at mysqueezebox.com, my squeezeplayer Android players show up and register themselves, but they don't connect. How can I get Android Squeezeplayers to connect to mysqueezebox.com? (And how did they register themselves? Did I forget that I registered them?) If they were to connect to mysqueezebox.com, then I could still use squeeze commander to change their sources and manipulate the now playing list.

And fyi, my squeezeplayers are running on a nexus with gingerbread as well as an archos 70 running froyo.

Thanks!

bluegaspode
2011-07-04, 22:50
SqueezePlayer only connects to your local server.

First because mysqueezebox.com does not allow third party players
and second even if that was possible I don't want to get sued for anything that would come into Logitechs mind the next time their MySB.com servers are down ;)

emcclem
2011-07-13, 01:47
Hi just wondered if you've thought of porting to WebOS?

bluegaspode
2011-07-13, 02:15
If you find better statistics about market-share of WebOS than this one:
http://www.precentral.net/webos-projected-have-just-1-4-market-share-2012

then yes.

Otherwise (if at all) only Windows 7 (now that Nokia jumps on that train as well) would be a logical next step.

Sorry for the bad news :(
Integrating playback takes a lot of work and I need to have at least some projected income to feed my family from that. Right now it doesn't look like WebOS would be a natural fit for that.

Jeff Flowerday
2011-07-18, 18:24
A 1x1 widget that basically turns playback on or off would be awesome. I know you don't see an advantage, but I love my toggle widgets, they save 3 presses, one to open the app, one to toggle and one to close the app again.

Jeff

tpchristian
2011-07-25, 17:02
I am having trouble with the volume control. I am running Android 2.2 on a Viewsonic G-Tablet. If I press the volume hard-keys, the volume will automatically get turned down right away. Same if I try to control the volume from a remote.

Also, it seem to only show portrait display, not landscape. I have my tablet in a docking station permanently in landscape.

I have a couple other issues, but I want to reproduce them again before posting.

tpchristian
2011-07-25, 17:21
I see the message in the release notes about experimental syncing support. I was able to sync my player on windows with SBR by setting up the sync'ing on the server and playing with the delay. It seems to stay in sync nicely so far. When I try to do the same for the Android player, I get get it in sync sometimes, but seems to change if I change the song. I am very new to SB so I may just not be using a good method for setting up the sync parms. There are a number of them and maybe I need to adjust some of the other delay parameters.

bluegaspode
2011-07-25, 21:36
When you manually start a new song, each player sort of starts at the same time. They all then need some time to tell each other their playback position and resync within the next 5 to 30 seconds. If all players have good timing you won't realize them adjusting all the time for the rest of the playlist.
Did you wait a little bit for this to happen? Please also for tests first try only two players (ie SqueezePlayer and Squeezebox) and only then add others to see who might be the weak link.

SlimboJimbo
2011-07-26, 14:04
First:Excellent job, finally squeeze-playback on android, thank you!

I have only stumbled on one problem/bug. I connect over hsdpa/3g using connectbot, ssh-tunneling the ports 9000 and 3483. It works like a charm, but it will not play the next song in the playlist. It just stops at the end of the first song. However if I jump to next song in Squeeze Commander it will play just fine again until the end of that song.
In the Settings of the player in SqueezeServer, "Play other songs in album or directory" is selected.
When I play over wlan it works as expected, playing the next song in the playlist.

Is this a known problem?

/SJ

bluegaspode
2011-07-26, 14:12

I have only stumbled on one problem/bug. I connect over hsdpa/3g using connectbot, ssh-tunneling the ports 9000 and 3483. It works like a charm, but it will not play the next song in the playlist. It just stops at the end of the first song. However if I jump to next song in Squeeze Commander it will play just fine again until the end of that song.
When I play over wlan it works as expected, playing the next song in the playlist.

Is this a known problem?

/SJ

Hi SJ
yes - this is a known problem of either ConnectBot or Android. Only people using honeycomb claim that connectbot works without flaws in a Squeezebox environment.
Unfortunately noone wanted to help me on the connectbot groups: http://groups.google.com/group/connectbot-users/browse_thread/thread/acd1fc6c8964ae63

Anyway, please read my instructions here: http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/3g-part-5-secure-your-communication-channel/

I couldn't live without a working secure connection myself, so I wrote my own little App to create a working SSH tunnel (downloadable on the above page). Requires a rooted phone unfortunately, as the App installs the official OpenSSH client and thus isn't affected by Android bugs anymore.

SlimboJimbo
2011-07-26, 14:24
Thanks for the quick response. Then I will have to continue selecting 'play next song' until I get around to rooting the phone.

/SJ

tpchristian
2011-07-26, 19:52
When you manually start a new song, each player sort of starts at the same time. They all then need some time to tell each other their playback position and resync within the next 5 to 30 seconds. If all players have good timing you won't realize them adjusting all the time for the rest of the playlist.
Did you wait a little bit for this to happen? Please also for tests first try only two players (ie SqueezePlayer and Squeezebox) and only then add others to see who might be the weak link.

Thanks for the education. I didn't give them enough time. I heard them out of sync and saw the adjustment options and thought that is what I needed to fix them. I set these all back to default and they do get in sync.

Could I ask you to respond to my issues in post 193. Those are my bigger issue -- Especially the volume. This issue makes the player difficult to practically use. After my original post, I got more of a chance to read back through back posts and saw another user report the same issue, but I didn't see a solution.

bluegaspode
2011-07-26, 23:25
Could I ask you to respond to my issues in post 193. Those are my bigger issue -- Especially the volume. This issue makes the player difficult to practically use. After my original post, I got more of a chance to read back through back posts and saw another user report the same issue, but I didn't see a solution.

Are you referring to the volume problem? What Controller App are you using?
Logitechs App? If I remember correctly it had a bug intercepting the hard keys/volume of the device itself and I'm not sure if that was fixed already.

As a test could you try to change the volume via the web-interface when SqueezePlayer is on, but the Logitech App closed, then report back if the issue is gone.

tpchristian
2011-07-26, 23:44
No, I am using Squeeze Commander. As you requested I tried controlling from the web also, would not do anything. If I press the hard keys for volume, it will increase, but will usually decrease the volume shortly after.

I tried the regular music player and it was doing the same thing. I would turn it up and it would automatically turn down shortly thereafter. Now I thought that maybe it wasn't just squeezeplayer. Just to be sure I force closed squeezeplayer and tried the regular music player again. Now the problem is gone. I started squeezeplayer one more time and the problem is back.

This volume problem is really the show-stopper, but the not supporting landscape is a minor annoyance.

bluegaspode
2011-07-26, 23:51
No, I am using Squeeze Commander. As you requested I tried controlling from the web also, would not do anything. If I press the hard keys for volume, it will increase, but will usually decrease the volume shortly after.

I tried the regular music player and it was doing the same thing. I would turn it up and it would automatically turn down shortly thereafter. Now I thought that maybe it wasn't just squeezeplayer. Just to be sure I force closed squeezeplayer and tried the regular music player again. Now the problem is gone. I started squeezeplayer one more time and the problem is back.

This volume problem is really the show-stopper, but the not supporting landscape is a minor annoyance.

Ok - one more test: upen the web-interface, then change the volume with SqueezePlayer to its max volume (playing a song not needed).
Is the volume bar in the web-interface going to its max value as well?

If not, please check that SqueezePlayer is configured correctly:
- enter the settings menu (menu button) and check if the port to the server is correct
- also check if you need to enter username and password when your server is setup with password protection

If SqueezePlayer cannot send the new volume correctly to the server, than some time later the server tells SqueezePlayer it's current volume so any change on the device gets reset.

If this is still not your issue, please write a mail to support(at)squeezeplayer.com. I'd provide you with a custom version with some extra logging about what volume events arrive in SqueezePlayer.

tpchristian
2011-07-27, 00:06
It is very strange. I turned volume up all the way via hard keys and the web interface changed, but showed only about 80%. If I press down (once) on the web volume, the volume will change to about 20%. Thereafter further presses up/down from the web will not change the volume. It seems as though it is trying to do something because I get the volume overlay window display on my tablet, but the volume bar doesn't change.

I looked at settings and the radio button had the name of my server and manual options. My named server was selected so the port setting was not selected. I changed to manual and entered the address. I am not password protected at this time. No difference. Port is fine. Note that all other controls seem to work fine from remote and streams to the player fine.

I will send you an email.

2token2
2011-07-29, 07:11
Thank you, this app roxx... im using this with my samsung sgs and tab, works great over both wifi and 3g. my only issue is that spotify refuses to work, ive tried both the official plugin and the other one (im running the server on a win7). both spotify plugins work great with my squeezebox radio and squeezeplay on windows 7. as soon as i connect my android devices playback just dies. is spotify supported by this app? has any one ells got it working? what can i do to trouble shoot this?

bluegaspode
2011-07-29, 08:03
The official Logitech App won't work with SqueezePlayer.
Here the encrypted Spotify streams are sent directly to a Squeezebox, SqueezePlayer cannot handle those encrypted streams.

The plugin from triode should work though. It sends FLAC to the player which SqueezePlayer is able to decode.
Are you sure you used the correct Spotify menu (i.e. deinstalled the Logitech App).

On a 7.5 server the Spotify menu from triode can be found under 'Radios' (if I'm not mistaken).
With a 7.6 server it should be under 'My Apps' as well.

2token2
2011-07-29, 14:12
yeahh.. i tried both plugins through menu choise, when i goto radio / spotify and choose to play something, it buffers for 3 seconds and then nothing happens... if i start to stream though my squeezebox radio, and then connect my andoid, after the tune started, it hangs for all connected devies immediatly after the andoid connects... really frustrating.

bluegaspode
2011-07-29, 14:59
Guess you are using the latest version of the plugin.
Anything in the server logs?

Anyway else able to try Spotify via SqueezePlayer?
Unfortunately I cannot test and debug it here in Germany, as it's not available here.

SlimboJimbo
2011-07-31, 02:51

In the Settings of the player in SqueezeServer, "Play other songs in album or directory" is selected.

Is this a known problem?

/SJ

Hi SJ
yes - this is a known problem of either ConnectBot or Android. Only people using honeycomb claim that connectbot works without flaws in a Squeezebox environment.
Unfortunately noone wanted to help me on the connectbot groups: http://groups.google.com/group/connectbot-users/browse_thread/thread/acd1fc6c8964ae63

Anyway, please read my instructions here: http://www.squeezeplayer.com/2011/05/3g-part-5-secure-your-communication-channel/

I couldn't live without a working secure connection myself, so I wrote my own little App to create a working SSH tunnel (downloadable on the above page). Requires a rooted phone unfortunately, as the App installs the official OpenSSH client and thus isn't affected by Android bugs anymore.

I have found a workaround for this!
In Squeeze Commander I selected to sync my phone with my Squeezebox, with the Squeezebox as master.
Now it plays the next song as it should.

/SJ

2token2
2011-07-31, 14:03
Guess you are using the latest version of the plugin.
Anything in the server logs?

Anyway else able to try Spotify via SqueezePlayer?
Unfortunately I cannot test and debug it here in Germany, as it's not available here.

nope doesent show up in the server log....
edit: or maby this....
[11-07-31 23:07:11.3924] Slim::Networking::IO::Select::__ANON__ (147) Error: Select task failed calling Slim::Networking::Async::HTTP::_http_read_body: illegal file descriptor or filehandle (either no attached file descriptor or illegal value): at /<C:\PROGRA~2\SQUEEZ~1\server\SQUEEZ~3.EXE>Slim/Networking/IO/Select.pm line 150.
; fh=Slim::Networking::Async::Socket::HTTP=GLOB(0xb5 351f4)

bluegaspode
2011-07-31, 14:26
This error message doesn't tell my anything.

I moved this over to the Spotify thread - maybe there anyone is able to help:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=645728&postcount=2861

bluegaspode
2011-08-09, 12:55
I cannot resist to post the following picture.

This is SqueezePlayer on a GoogleTV/Revue, yeah ...
but before one gets too enthusiastic - unfortunately it cannot stream any songs.

Google TV is intel based, all SmartPhones use ARM processor - and Google does not provide means to compile the native code of SqueezePlayer on x86 *sigh*.

Anyway - this screenshot reveals at least another new enhancement released soon - a preliminary version of a landscape mode :)

bluegaspode
2011-08-10, 15:21
SqueezePlayer 1.2.0 has been released to the AppStore (and should turn up as an update on your devices soon):

- SqueezePlayer now also supports landscape orientation
- When power is plugged, SqueezePlayer does not turn off anymore automatically (which typically happens after 15min when nothing is playing to save battery). So you can keep your phone/tablet in the dock and after SqueezePlayer has been started once, it's ready to receive new streams all the time
- fixed various very rare crashes

As always: if anything is not to your expectations, drop me a note: support(at)squeezeplayer.com

pippin
2011-08-10, 16:06
SqueezePad or SqueezePlayer?
Player, I assume?

bluegaspode
2011-08-10, 21:56
Ooops... yes SqueezePlayer

erland
2011-08-10, 22:08
I cannot resist to post the following picture.

This is SqueezePlayer on a GoogleTV/Revue, yeah ...

This is really cool!

If I understand this correctly it means that the Revue will be able to act as any other Squeezebox and it will be possible to control it using iPeng/SqueezePad/Logitech Controller as any other Squeezebox and the UPnP support in LMS isn't even needed to make it work ?

If I've understood it correctly the Google TV platform will also get support for Android Market soon, or is this already supported ?

bluegaspode
2011-08-10, 23:39
This is really cool!

If I understand this correctly it means that the Revue will be able to act as any other Squeezebox and it will be possible to control it using iPeng/SqueezePad/Logitech Controller as any other Squeezebox and the UPnP support in LMS isn't even needed to make it work ?

this is all correct, IF ... I was able to compile x86 with Googles SDK (which is not supported yet)
Right now it's not possible so the FLAC decoder (which for performance reasons is native code) does not work :(

erland
2011-08-10, 23:52
this is all correct, IF ... I was able to compile x86 with Googles SDK (which is not supported yet)
Right now it's not possible so the FLAC decoder (which for performance reasons is native code) does not work :(

Not sure exactly how SqueezePlayer works but would it be possible to configure SBS to decode FLAC to WAV on the server side or something similar to make it work ?

Or is Google in the process of making x86 work properly so it's just a matter of waiting a few weeks/months ?

mherger
2011-08-11, 00:36
> This is SqueezePlayer on a GoogleTV, yeah ...

Heh... how did you manage to do this? Are you using a hacked box? I
thought only some pre-production units allowed to use adb et al. But then
what do I know about Revue? :-)

> but before one gets too enthusiastic - unfortunately it cannot stream
> any songs.

I happened to be in a Logitech office yesterday where they told me so. Now
at least I understand why. It seems Google isn't strong on documenting the
latest builds either...

> If I've understood it correctly the Google TV platform will also get
> support for Android Market soon, or is this already supported ?

I know that v2 of the GTV firmware will have market support. But I would
be surprised if bluegaspode already had a v2 firmware.

--

Michael

bluegaspode
2011-08-11, 01:03
hehe - guess I shouldn't comment to let the myth grow :) ...

Anyway: I personally don't have a Revue, it's a screeshot of a user. Don't know his environment. But I'm happy if Logitech could provide a dev-machine if there are interested as well :)

SqueezePlayer has licensing code that actually requires the market App to be installed on the device - so there is some probability that this user is using some development preview. Either that or we are talking about some advanced users that is able hack into the bytecode of the apk to remove the licensing code AND install it on a Revue.

Google also has documentation for developers ready, so that they know what to do, to make the app appear on the android market for G-TV: http://code.google.com/intl/en/tv/android/docs/gtv_android_features.html

The same documentation also states that NDK (native development kit) is not available.

I think I'll spend some hours on the weekend to try to hack a x86 version. There seem to be some ways. Some user of O2 Joggler already asked for this as well - and with the prospect of having SqueezePlayer run on G-TV now I have enough motivation to try it out :)

bluegaspode
2011-08-11, 01:07
I happened to be in a Logitech office yesterday where they told me so. Now
at least I understand why. It seems Google isn't strong on documenting the
latest builds either...

Your guys in the office tried to run SqueezePlayer on the Revue as well?
Or they just told you what they read here?

mherger
2011-08-11, 01:51
> Your guys in the office tried to run SqueezePlayer on the Revue as
> well?

I didn't see it myself, but yes, they told me so.

--

Michael

Squid
2011-08-11, 05:24
A quick question.
Can I playback from a Squeezebox Server on a different port ? I don't like the idea of opening up my internal network to the Internet. Instead, I setup a VPN-like connection with NeoRouter.
This means that I need to point to 127.0.0.1 on port 29000. This works with SqueezeCommander. Does SqueezePlayer support this ?

EDIT: nvm, lookaround on the official page and some posts there of changing the port from 9000 to 9001 so I guess it should work. Bought and downloading now.

Squid
2011-08-11, 05:58
Unfortunately it's not working. This is what I get:
* Server 127.0.0.1:29000
* Connection WiFi connecting ...
* Playback stopped

Why is it saying (animated) WiFi connecting when in actual fact I'm already connected over WiFi ? Connecting to 127.0.0.1:29000 should work fine because SqueezeCommander can connect to it fine.

Any idea ?

bluegaspode
2011-08-11, 07:02
The message should be 'connecting via Wifi' - and in your case it's not successful.

SqueezePlayer uses two ports

control port 9000 (configurable) - for downloading the stream and sending the volume back to the server.

playback port 3483 (not configurable) - the port where all playback instructions are sent from the server.

As only the first one can be changed in the Squeezebox Server, with SqueezePlayer it's the same.

So you need to forward port 3483 as well.

Squid
2011-08-11, 07:24
The message really was 'Wifi connecting ...' (with the 3 dots animated between 1, 2 and 3 dots) and not 'Connecting via Wifi'.

But the missing other port forward rule was indeed the culprit. Thanks! BTW, would be neat if you could also make that port configurable. I prefer having all my local ports in the 20000-range.

Now if only I could get playback to actually work... SqueezeCommander does show the SqueezePlayer client, but when I select a track and hit play, I don't hear anything.

pippin
2011-08-11, 07:29
The internal and external ports have to be the same.
So you have to use 3483 to the outside world and if you don't use 9000 but 29000 then both the internal (configured in the server) and the external (the one that you use to access your network from outside) port have to be 29000.

bluegaspode
2011-08-11, 08:44
Now if only I could get playback to actually work... SqueezeCommander does show the SqueezePlayer client, but when I select a track and hit play, I don't hear anything.
Do you use password protection on your server?
Did you enter username+password in SqueezePlayer on the settings screen.

Can you play some mp3 internet radio station?

Squid
2011-08-11, 08:46
I don't see why the internal and external ports would have to be the same, as NeoRouter is doing the translation. That's how these VPN tunnels work. It listens to port 29000 on my Android phone so SqueezePlayer can connect. At the other end of the tunnel, NeoRouter connects to port 9000 of my Squeezebox Server. This works for SqueezeCommander just fine.

I suspect that it's the streaming that won't work over the VPN connection.

Edit: well, low and behold, it works when I revert to the standard port. I figured I didn't really need alternate ports for Squeezebox as they are non-standard ports anyway and would not interfere with anything else on my Android.
It's not quite fluent though and breaks up here and there, so it might just be the hotspot connection that is not stable enough.

bluegaspode
2011-08-11, 09:12
I don't see why the internal and external ports would have to be the same, as NeoRouter is doing the translation. That's how these VPN tunnels work. It listens to port 29000 on my Android phone so SqueezePlayer can connect. At the other end of the tunnel, NeoRouter connects to port 9000 of my Squeezebox Server. This works for SqueezeCommander just fine.

I suspect that it's the streaming that won't work over the VPN connection.

Edit: well, low and behold, it works when I revert to the standard port. I figured I didn't really need alternate ports for Squeezebox as they are non-standard ports anyway and would not interfere with anything else on my Android.
It's not quite fluent though and breaks up here and there, so it might just be the hotspot connection that is not stable enough.

Please read the blog on my homepage about remote streaming (www.squeezeplayer.com).
There is a chapter about reducing the bandwidth when streaming to SqueezePlayer.

As you already found out you don't need to change ports.
3483 is registered to slimdevices, so noone else is allowed to use it
9000 might be shared with media servers like twonky, that's why it can be configured to be a different port.

If using a VPN tunnel keeping the default ports is also no security issue.
Happy streaming.

Squid
2011-08-11, 09:31
Great tip on the bandwidth limiter. Will have to spend some time on that. For now, I have everything as MP3s without transcoding. But they're at a pretty high bitrate, so that might be the problem. In fact, as a test I tried to stream through SoftSqueeze over VPN through the corporate network (where bandwidth should not be an issue) and I'm having the same hickups. The bottleneck is most likely more at my home end where I only have 2.5Mbps upstream (although I'd expect that to be plenty enough for 300kbps MP3s...).

bluegaspode
2011-08-11, 09:41
The bottleneck is most likely more at my home end where I only have 2.5Mbps upstream (although I'd expect that to be plenty enough for 300kbps MP3s...).
It's only plenty when its a guaranteed upstream bandwidth ;)
In Germany consumers only get 'up to' 2.5 Mbps which in the end can be pretty low ;)

lawesson
2011-08-12, 05:22
Would it be possible for SqueezePlayer to support Erlands dynamic playlists? Doesn't seem to work now...

bluegaspode
2011-08-12, 06:58
Hi lawesson.

From a technical point of view, there should be no problem with using dynamic playlists.

SqueezePlayer just plays what it's told to play by the server - and the server completely supports the Dynamic Playlists if they work on other Squeezeboxes too.

What do you mean with "doesn't seem to work now". What did you try and what happened?

Squid
2011-08-16, 15:08
I'm still not having a lot of success with streaming from remotely. I limited bandwidth to 128kbps but it still won't stream well. The weird thing is that a song will typically play perfectly for about a minute but then random small jumps start to occur every couple of seconds.

I even have the problem at my mom-in-law's place a couple of miles from here and we're both on the same ISP so the stream isn't even leaving the ISP's network.

It's not the software because it works perfectly at home with my home network. Even if I VPN through NeoRouter at home (useless, but just for testing ldo) it still works perfect, so that's not the culprit either.

bluegaspode
2011-08-16, 15:42
as you talk of 'small jumps': could you please check, that SqueezePlayer is not synchronized to any other SqueezeBox. This will make either SqueezeBox skip some frames from time to time to catch up.

undret
2011-08-17, 00:57
I am using the Player and Commander on my Android Nexus one and connected to mysb.com. I listen to internet radio stations (almost all saved from the TuneIn Radio app) while on the move outdoors. So I stream over the mobile network.
Usually it works well. This combo is superior to the tunein app which takes a good amount of time to connect, download presets, and buffer the stream before play. It can take up to half a minute before music starts playing.

BUT there is a big problem, and it might be just that it happens on my particular phone model and operators
When I have good network coverage (meaning access to high-speed access technologies UMTS, HSPA, and "best" variants of Edge) I get nice playback.

But when I enter an area with bad coverage where the downlink bandwidth is not sufficient to support the bitrate of the audio stream, the music starts to glitch and interrupt.
At this point the behaviour is pathological: Player goes into an endless loop (repeatedly showing playing, buffering, connecting with a few percent shown), The player gets uncontrollable and does not respond to any Commander commands (like pause or power off).
Only way to exit is to disconnect player from the server, and then wait to connect it again until I have better reception.

Then the modem of my phone behaves crappy as well. It seems like it sticks to a certain bearer as long as it is available and there is a connection using it. So if I have the player connected with UMTS, lose coverage of that and the device switches to poorer Edge with insufficient bandwidth, it will then tend to stick to that even if I move back into UMTS coverage again! It will not switch as long as player is connected.

The handling of this situation could be improved. I suggest:
* If the player buffer levels drops under a certain level and where the rate of data from the network cannot sustain the playing rate then the player could pause the downloading of the stream, silence the music and give an indication to the user.
* Then it can wait and monitor better network reception. When that happens the streaming can resume. Of course it is difficult to predict if you will indeed get a sufficient bitrate in your downlink beforehand, but UMTS and HSPA should do fine. Edge could be excluded since that almost never works for me.
I don't know if it should also disconnect from the server, though.

Any thoughts or experiences?

bluegaspode
2011-08-17, 12:16
Hi undret,

thanks a lot for your feedback.

Player goes into an endless loop (repeatedly showing playing, buffering, connecting with a few percent shown), The player gets uncontrollable and does not respond to any Commander commands (like pause or power off).
Only way to exit is to disconnect player from the server, and then wait to connect it again until I have better reception.

It could be that SqueezePlayer ignores the 'pause' command, while it is buffering.
Seldom have loads of rebufferings, so didn't check that.
Will investigate!

I think it would be still the best way, if the user needed to actively stops the stream (and it worked) when he thinks it would not get better.

Then the modem of my phone behaves crappy as well. It seems like it sticks to a certain bearer as long as it is available and there is a connection using it. So if I have the player connected with UMTS, lose coverage of that and the device switches to poorer Edge with insufficient bandwidth, it will then tend to stick to that even if I move back into UMTS coverage again! It will not switch as long as player is connected.

I'm afraid I cannot change that :(

undret
2011-08-18, 02:38
Hi.
I really love the combo of player + commander. It gives me a uniform UI regardless of network streaming service together with a almost prompt playback. The commander is sometimes slow to connect, though.

I am wishing that no user intervention should be necessary if the behavior can be configured.
I would like it to work like the following:
1. When the reception goes bad (player detecting this situation when playback empties the buffer and network connection is not able to keep up): Player pauses the stream + perhaps give some notification (like vibrating).
2. When in bad conditions, player monitors reception and perhaps signal strength if possible to assess the current network condition. When fine, streaming is resumed. I as user, can be able to set my conditions in a coarse manner. This would be for me when the modem indicates UMTS coverage (3G is displayed with at least one bar on signal strength) or when I am connected to WLAN.
But actually, point 2 there should on a phone with a decent modem be handled as the opposite of point 1, meaning that the player can detect if the network connection delivers data at a rate greater than the stream bit rate. And that the rate has been stable for like 5 seconds or so.

This could be done automatically. Because while running or biking in the Swedish forest I do not want to stop to check the phone.

I would be happy to help out here in any way I can.

But a good step forward would be to make the player responsive from the commander when the buffer goes low. I realize that if network situation has gone really bad, the commands might not be able to transmit? Or, I do not know how the player control works, but are the commands proxied by mysb.com?

I am working in mobile telephony with some Android experiences as well, so I might be able to help out or contribute.
Thank you.

bluegaspode
2011-08-18, 04:10
Or, I do not know how the player control works, but are the commands proxied by mysb.com?

Yes Controller commands first go to the server, which sends them back (if needed) to the player.
So there is just an indirect connection between SqueezeCommander and SqueezePlayer.
So it might be that the 'pause' command can get lost on the way back or forth. But this is a really small packet so a slow network (working) connection shouldn't be a big problem.

As said: I rather think that SqueezePlayer only accepts a 'pause' when it's in the playing state (as buffering right now is implemented as an (automatic) pause - so I guess an explicit pause is just ignored).

lawesson
2011-08-19, 04:20
Hi lawesson.

From a technical point of view, there should be no problem with using dynamic playlists.

SqueezePlayer just plays what it's told to play by the server - and the server completely supports the Dynamic Playlists if they work on other Squeezeboxes too.

What do you mean with "doesn't seem to work now". What did you try and what happened?

Sorry, my bad. It's the Commander that simply don't support them I suppose...

bluegaspode
2011-08-19, 15:44
I'm not using Dynamic Playlists so cannot comment on SqueezeCommanders ability to handle them.

You might try the Logitech Controller App (if its running on your phone) just as a comparison if it handles those menus better.

undret
2011-08-20, 03:09
Yes Controller commands first go to the server, which sends them back (if needed) to the player.
So there is just an indirect connection between SqueezeCommander and SqueezePlayer.
So it might be that the 'pause' command can get lost on the way back or forth. But this is a really small packet so a slow network (working) connection shouldn't be a big problem.

As said: I rather think that SqueezePlayer only accepts a 'pause' when it's in the playing state (as buffering right now is implemented as an (automatic) pause - so I guess an explicit pause is just ignored).

Yes. Have you reproduced?

After a few more tests, I think that the problem appears if the buffer goes empty while playback regardless of why. Then as soon as a piece of data is written on it, that piece is immediately consumed for playback leaving the buffer empty again. And there it seems to be stuck in that loop showing buffering/playing one second each approx with small percentages shown.
When playing I copied large files across the WLAN to put load on it, and then the player kept stuttering in the loop even though network capacity later had returned.

Even in HSPA, there can be small periods with low throughput. If that is enough for the player to empty its buffer, there we go again. Stuck there even though network is improved.

It was now a while ago, but I have seen it also when I connect to an internet radio station where the data from the stream initially appears low. That happened mostly with shoutcast streams.

If I am on a mobile network, then if I press |<< or >>| it sometimes happen as well.

If the buffer is allowed to fill up slightly more before playing, then that might help (in addition to what you write in your comment)? Or what do you think? Or if the user could do some configuration of a threshold value here if this is device-dependent.

It is very hard to give exact instructions to reproduce since it all depends on network conditions. And probably on my device as well.

Thanks!

bluegaspode
2011-08-20, 14:45
regardless of buffering techniques: if the (average) download rate is too slow for the content to be streamed one will get into the playing/buffering cycle in any case.
I think it wouldn't matter if the cycle is each second or every 5 seconds. It annoys the user and one just cannot stream if the bandwidth is not high enough.
No fancy technique will circumvent it.

With buffer sizes one can only manage to accomodate for some variations of bandwidth/network throughput.
Right now SqueezePlayer uses the following buffer sizes:
- audiobuffer: 1,7MB (44100 * 2 /*channel*/* 2 /*bytes*/* 10 /*seconds*/ )
- download-buffer: 1MB (this will be 1min of 128kB/sec mp3)

So when buffers are filled, SqueezePad can play up to 1minute of 128kB/sec mp3 when the bandwidth goes down. 1 minute !

On Android one cannot use larger buffers, as Apps are very restricted by the OS regarding memory allocations.
But actually these are really huge buffers already: if something does not play with these buffers, then the bandwidth is just not high enough or there are insane variations in the network throughput.

After a few more tests, I think that the problem appears if the buffer goes empty while playback regardless of why. Then as soon as a piece of data is written on it, that piece is immediately consumed for playback leaving the buffer empty again.

When SqueezePlayer faces a buffer underrun, it typically waits for 391680 bytes in the audiobuffer to be filled again (this is 2 seconds with 2channel 44kHz). For FLAC files it even waits 1000000 bytes (5seconds at 44kHz).

IF the stream is downloading fast enough this should be enough of a headstart, to allow for robust streaming. If not - well - as said - not technique will help then in my opinion.

pcourtney
2011-09-12, 17:25
thank you for adding Landscape to SqueezePlayer, my daughter has the very popular Swedish "Limited Label 7CK100" 18cm tablet running OS 2.1, which uses the Rock Chip RK2818

Rock Chip 2818 has a clock speed of 1Ghz, DSP, GPU, 800x480. G-sensor, 8GB drive, microSD memory card slot, Mini USB, 600MHz Dual-Core processor and 256MB RAM

I also bought her the amazing Swedish V-Jays headphones to go with it, when I heard one of my Swedish friends using the 7CK100 with the V-Jays it was a very nice listening experience, better than my modded iPod !

http://www.jays.se/products/headphones/v-jays-details.html

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockchip

I will report back the Device ID
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.langlearner.deviceid

and will download SqueezePlayer from the Android pit :-)

http://www.androidpit.com/en/android/market/apps/app/de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer/Squeeze-Player

I better buy Squeeze Commander for her as well ??

http://www.squeezecommander.com

have I missed anything - am I good to go ?

pcourtney
2011-09-12, 17:28
he was using this player to listen to FLAC files on his SD Card

http://code.google.com/p/andless/

bluegaspode
2011-09-12, 21:59
You are good to go I'd say.
SqueezeCommander is my personal favorite, but you can use any of the mentioned alternatives from the App description as well.

pcourtney
2011-09-13, 01:53
You are good to go I'd say. SqueezeCommander is my personal favorite

many many thanks, she is currently using Spotify Premium, but I cannot use Triode's plugin on my old sparc based NAS box, daughter loves the quality of the spotify 320k streams, but for her the real reason is the amazing library of music at a touch of a button, I need to send another message to Spotify and ask them if a re-compile of libspotify to run on Sparc based NAS boxes is going to happen before Xmas ( or not ) ??

being able to find music on spotify on her tablet, then have a listen, then build playlists, then at a later date stream to all the Duet receivers in the house when she has friends around would be very cool :-)

bluegaspode
2011-09-13, 02:59
Be aware that SqueezePlayer cannot support Logitechs Spotify App as this only works with real Squeezeboxes.

pcourtney
2011-09-13, 04:17
Be aware that SqueezePlayer cannot support Logitechs Spotify App as this only works with real Squeezeboxes.

oooh, thanks for the heads up on that Stefan, now I see why a sparc version of libspotify may not happen this side of Xmas

looks like I may have to upgrade my old Intel 2U server I have in the garage with some 2TB drives, and install vortebox this weekend :-)

http://vortexbox.org/about/

bluegaspode
2011-09-13, 06:50
Yes with Vortexbox you should be able to install triodes plugin and Spotify streaming should work then.

Unfortunately I cannot test it myself as Spotify is not available in Germany - but as triodes plugin streams FLAC all should be fine.