[ANNOUNCE] Music-Playback now on ANDROID! SqueezePlayer released to the market ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluegaspode
    • Jul 2009

[ANNOUNCE] Music-Playback now on ANDROID! SqueezePlayer released to the market ...

Up until know only iPad user could use my streaming solution with the marvellous SqueezePad App.

But the time of waiting is over - now you can also turn your Android mobile or tablet into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!

Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?i....squeezeplayer

If Android Market is not available to you (i.e. on the Kindle Fire), you can also purchase/install via AndroidPit.
    Android Pit: http://www.androidpit.com/en/android...Squeeze-Player

Do you want to stream all your Logitech Squeezebox content directly to your phone and make it really free? Then SqueezePlayer is your perfect match!

SqueezePlayer is able to stream your local music, internet radio stations or songs from Apps like Last.FM, Deezer or WiMP directly to your mobile. (Rhapsody and Pandora NOT working right now, due to licensing issues, Spotify only works with the help of triodes plugin installed in a Squeezebox-Server, Napster only works with Windows-based server).

SqueezePlayer is just a playback App - you won't be able to control your Squeezebox (nor itself) with it. But there are enough Apps out there being a perfect fit: SqueezeCommander (recommended) or free alternatives like the official Logitech App, SqueezeControl or SqueezeDroid.

From the main screen of SqueezePlayer you can jump directly to any of these App, where you mobile will be among all other players as long as SqueezePlayer is activated.

Right now the following music formats are supported directly:
    FLAC, MP3, WAV, PCM

Your SqueezeboxServer will be able to convert other file types (Ogg, mp4) to PCM on the fly, so these will play as well. (You can check the settings screen of your Squeezebox Server under Advanced->File Types what other file types will be transcoded to PCM).

Some notes for the pros: for playback to be working via 3G you will need to open/forward port 9000 and 3483 on your router (as well as setting up a DynDNS service).
    A full tutorial can be found on my webpage: www.squeezeplayer.com

Tested so far on: HTC Wildfire, Legend, Magic, Desire, Google MyTouch, Sony XPERIA Mini,
    I'm really interesting in your experience on any other device of course!

If anything is not working, don't hesitate to contact me under support(at)squeezeplayer.com. I'm very happy to work together with you to make it working if you face any problem.
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2012-01-13, 07:18.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet
  • ganjastone
    • Jan 2006

This is awesome!!!!

Turned my Squidget to a walkman!
    I waited for something similar so long.
    Well done!

Here's my two cents after the excitement wore off a bit - I know it's the playback that matters here - and that works well.
    I (and I know others as well) have been struggling making this work - and failed), but I think the look and feel of the application can be improved.
    I would appreciate if you have a widget, even if all it does is to toggle it on / off with no configuration.
    Also, If you can explain the huge permission list that would be great.

Thanks,

Avi

Minor issue: It FC when I tried to switch servers right after install. then worked perfectly. I reported a crash (sent an error report).
    Last edited by ganjastone; 2011-04-28, 22:40.
    Squidget - Android SqueezeBox Widget
    http://mysquidget.blogspot.com

Comment

• bluegaspode
      • Jul 2009

Hi Avi,

thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as the playback is a service anyway.
      Also will think again about the looks - found it important to finally release something to the Android world first - and guess that people won't use my UI much (except for debugging purposes if needed).

Your crash report arrived - it's a rare race condition on disconnects: will fix it on the weekend (so much for testing for days with several people - still bugs will creep through).
      Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
      Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
      Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Comment

• ganjastone
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bluegaspode
        Hi Avi,

thanks for your feeback. Never thought about a widget yet, but good idea - will need to read into it first, but will be easy I guess, as the playback is a service anyway.
        Will be glad to assist. Got some experience with those nasty widgets
        Squidget - Android SqueezeBox Widget
        http://mysquidget.blogspot.com

Comment

• flattermann
          • Oct 2009

Turn you mobile into a Squeezebox with SqueezePlayer!
          Very nice.

Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
          Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
          I.e. the player never disappears from the server.
          Christian

Home of SqueezeCommander - The SqueezeBox Remote Control App for Android

Comment

• bluegaspode
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by flattermann
            Very nice.

Is it possible to deactivate the service later?
            Because it seems that the service keeps running, even if I stop the playback (in SqueezeCommander or your UI).
            I.e. the player never disappears from the server.
            As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the service is running.
            You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15 minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.

Comment

• flattermann
              • Oct 2009

As long as you can see the 'play' symbol in the notification bar, the service is running.
              You can either manually deactivate it - or it will shutdown after 15 minutes automatically (after the last song stopped) - and of course only when you don't look at the mainscreen of the App.
              That did not work here on my first try.

The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.

I've now forced a stop of the service and now it seems to work as expected.
              Christian

Comment

• bluegaspode
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by flattermann
                That did not work here on my first try.
                The 'play' symbol was removed, but the service was still running.
                I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player from the list.
                But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
                You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested and you see again that the player is still available in SqueezeCommander - when the service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a 'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.

Comment

• pippin
                  • Oct 2007

Cool.

Apart from the fact that it took ages to purchase it, not your fault, but I can now understand why selling stuff on the Android Market is so much more difficult than on iOS.

But it works quite well from what I can see so far, even on my crappy Xperia Mini (which for some reason your App calls "U20i", is that the "technical" name?).

You've done it again! Congrats!
                  ---
                  learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                  Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                  at penguinlovesmusic.com
                  New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• flattermann
                    • Oct 2009

I do send the 'BYE' command to the server that should remove the player from the list.
                    But I'm not sure, if there are any lags in the server.
                    You might watch the App with DDMS if you are interested and you see again that the player is still available in SqueezeCommander - when the service is shut down correctly on my side, you won't see a 'PlaybackThread' and 'SlimProtoThread'.
                    I'll do it when this happens again.

But I'm pretty sure that your Thread was still running, because I could still start/stop the playback in SqueezeCommander. :-)
                    (Although no 'play' symbol was shown in the notification area.)

And after starting your App again and selecting another server, I could see two SqueezePlayers in SqueezeCommander. :-)
                    Christian

Comment

• pippin
                      • Oct 2007

Is FLAC supposed to work?
                      I'm only getting white noise when trying that.
                      ---
                      learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                      Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                      at penguinlovesmusic.com
                      New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• Henry66
                        • Jun 2010

When I first tried it I got no sound at all from FLAC files. Then I tried an MP3 which worked fine. After that, all FLAC and MP3 files now work fine.

However, only 16-bit files (44.1 and 48 kHz) seem to work. Playback aborts with 24-bit files.

Comment

• idlewild
                          • Feb 2006

Playing FLAC downconverted to 64k on HTC Incredible / Verizon over 3G.

Way Cool!!
                          SB Classic, SB Touch, SB Radio, SB Player/Android

Comment

• mrfantasy
                            • Jul 2005

Haven't tested extensively, but it seems to be working fine. Looking forward to testing remote playback. I have a Motorola Droid (original, but with CyanogenMod 7.0.1, so Android 2.3.3) and a Xoom (Android 3.0) and will work with both.
                            --Mike
                            http://last.fm/user/mrfantasy

Comment

• bluegaspode
                              • Jul 2009

Is FLAC supposed to work?
                              I'm only getting white noise when trying that.
                              For those trying Flac and have problems: what bitrate/samplerate is your FLACs?
                              My Flacs work fine, but I only have same default 44/16.
                              96/24 won't work yet, as the server does not downsample with PCM and well: 96khz is just not possible on Android.
                              Real FLAC support coming soon, server will downsample then, whoever wants to Beta test, drop a note to support(at)squeezeplayer.com.

Comment

Working...