PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer Airplay



MrSinatra
2011-04-22, 00:01
http://reviews.cnet.com/audio-system-components/pioneer-vsx-1021-k/4505-6462_7-34536275.html?autoplay=true&tag=cnetRiver

pski
2011-04-22, 11:47
I guess everyone got together and decided they no longer needed to mention that their specs were at 1Khz instead of full-range..

P

I take it back: the Pioneer site does indicate a whopping 90Wpc (@8ohms) full range. The review indicates 120Wpc. Of course at this price point, no one would expect it to weld.

MrSinatra
2011-04-28, 11:20
the main thing that caught my eye was the app in the video. if thats the kind of app that comes with a receiver, slim's ot some worrying to do.

Goodsounds
2011-04-28, 22:11
the main thing that caught my eye was the app in the video. if thats the kind of app that comes with a receiver, slim's ot some worrying to do.

I don't think most hardware buying choices are ultimately swayed by whether or not a device app is available. Many users find IR remotes or even using knobs and buttons to be quick and easier for the initial turn-on and set up when in the room where the equipment is. Gizmo fans and techies like to play with apps but a large part of the market prefers simplicity.

Some apps I've seen are like very complex remotes and remind me of MS or Open Office-type software. 90% of the users use just 10% of the features and find the presence of the other 90% confusing and unnecessary.

mherger
2011-04-28, 22:19
> Some apps I've seen are like very complex remotes and remind me of MS
> or Open Office-type software. 90% of the users use just 10% of the
> features and find the presence of the other 90% confusing and
> unnecessary.

s/Open Office/Squeezebox Server/... the big problem there is that no two of those users use the same 10%. What is important for A is absolutely unnecessary for B. To find a balance is the big challenge. (I used to be active in the StarOffice community back in the 90ies, when it was still a little German community :-))

--

Michael

Goodsounds
2011-04-29, 11:30
s/Open Office/Squeezebox Server/... the big problem there is that no two of those users use the same 10%. What is important for A is absolutely unnecessary for B. To find a balance is the big challenge. (I used to be active in the StarOffice community back in the 90ies, when it was still a little German community :-))

I hear what you're saying. But if you think about it in an A/V setting, three things: On/off - Volume - Content source or selection - account for most of what people do.

My point was that I don't think buying decisions are much influenced by apps. If you want to listen to music and you walk into the room, are you going to push some buttons on the front panel or IR remote, or go look for your Touch or Pad and then wait for it to boot up so you can use the app?

I don't think people who want to sit on the couch and play with an app represent a large portion of potential buyers. But I do see it as a potential marketing defensive measure, if your company produces a product that has several competitors, you don't want to be the only one that DOESN'T have an app. But I do think few care about app features.

kakklank
2011-05-17, 14:06
My point was that I don't think Enough said.