PDA

View Full Version : Old school: what's the best version of Slim/Squeeze for Squeezebox1

sander
2011-04-15, 08:49
These things turn up on craigslist for cheap sometimes. I picked up one, but shelved it because it messed up syncing with newer units, but now another turned up.

I know some of the limitations of this unit, but given that it is so old is there an older, less resource intensive version of the server I could run which is the best fit for these units?

Good syncing (if possible) and MusicIP integration is a plus.

TIA

aubuti
2011-04-15, 09:00
In my opinion you'd be much, much better off with an SB2 (or later), but if it's a SB1 you want, here's my advice.

I think the key question is which newer units do you want to sync with the SB1? Those all have minimum slimserver/SqueezeCenter/Squeezebox Server release levels that you will have to satisfy. For example, with a Duet you can't go any earlier than 7.0.x, but with an SB2 or SB3/Classic you can go back as far as 6.0.x. See the bottom row in this table: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

Sync'ing for most players got a lot better with 7.3.0, but I'm not sure if that applies to the SB1.

Also, if your concern is resource demand on the server, 7.6.0 will go back to SQLite as the database engine, making it more suitable for underpowered servers than the MySQL-based releases, which are 6.5.x through 7.5.x.

Finally, with the SB1s small buffer and 802.11b wireless, be sure to use wired ethernet if at all possible.

Mnyb
2011-04-15, 09:06
the small buffer and b only is what making sync a problem, so going ether is what i would do to..

sander
2011-04-15, 13:41
In my opinion you'd be much, much better off with an SB2 (or later), but if it's a SB1 you want, here's my advice.

I have my home network which has a bunch of newer devices, so this is more of a lark relegated to only SB1 devices. I want to recreate the old SlimServer experience with the SB1s struggling to keep up in their Soviet-era styling.

I started at 6.x when I bought my SB3 4 years ago, so I'm wondering on a network with only SB1s is there a good old release which is a good fit for the limited features of these old devices.

Is there was an old release which would run good on something like a DNS-323 (which chokes on the current releases) or are the older server versions too feature incomplete to consider?

aubuti
2011-04-15, 13:57
So you're going to set up a separate server dedicated to the SB1 units. Well, I've never used anything earlier than 6.3, but that wouldn't be a bad place to look. That version had SQLite, and a smaller footprint than 6.5 through 7.5.

The other thing to consider is what versions have a clearly-blazed trail to follow for installing it on your particular NAS. That has as much to do with the vagaries and availability of certain required Perl modules as it does with the overall resource demands.

On that note, it seems that some people have 7.6.0 running on a DNS-323, as per this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=83038.

JJZolx
2011-04-15, 14:02
Sounds like you should be the one to answer that question, as it's not something too many others want to do. I'd stay away from running an SB1 or older player if audio quality and streaming reliability are a concern (and I honestly can't think of anything I'd rate as a greater concern) but if you want to play with them just for giggles, start experimenting.

The newest version of the server supports the SB1 just fine. Obviously, the older versions will also work just fine. If you say the newest version doesn't run well on some particular hardware that you'd like to use, then run version 6. Offhand, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't want the last version of 6 that was developed (6.5.3 or 6.5.4, IIRC), as the large changes to the database came with 7.0.

aubuti
2011-04-15, 14:32
There may have been a lot of changes to the database in 7.0, but the move to MySQL definitely was part of 6.5. The last SQLite version before that was 6.3.

JJZolx
2011-04-15, 14:39
There may have been a lot of changes to the database in 7.0, but the move to MySQL definitely was part of 6.5. The last SQLite version before that was 6.3.

Ah, Ok. Looks like 6.3 is the answer.

Next question.