PDA

View Full Version : Electrics for HIFI in Garage conversion

tank121
2011-04-11, 05:27
I originally posted this as a reply to my Dali Ikons thread so please accept my apologies if you're reading this for a 2nd time. Below is my
original posts and a reply from Phil.

My kit consits of Arcam A85 amp, Squeezebox Touch with external hd, (soon to be purchased) Dali Ikon 2 wall mounted speakers

Our garage conversion commences on 2nd May.
There is existing electrics in there will be having new wiring for new lighting etc.
What should I be looking at to isolate the power for my audio equipment from the rest of the room ? Fused spur ?

Reply from Phil -
'Yes - a spur or ring going directly back to the consumer unit, on its own breaker. Alternatively, a seperate small consumer unit going to the meter would be even better... your sparks will advise what is possible (just don't tell him you are concerned about sound quality!).

My latest query -

The garage is attached to the kitchen which feeds into the dining and then the lounge and then the entrance hall. In here is the consumer unit, so is what you proposed going to be an expensive and messy job. ?

Lighting and power sockets already exist in the garage.

Like the look of these wallplates

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2g...sert-pk5/38549

Maybe some infrared matching dimmer switches ?

tank121
2011-04-11, 05:34
If Phil's option is expensive and will be messy in my circumstances would a mains conditioner be a sensible option ?

Phil Leigh
2011-04-11, 05:48
I originally posted this as a reply to my Dali Ikons thread so please accept my apologies if you're reading this for a 2nd time. Below is my
original posts and a reply from Phil.

My kit consits of Arcam A85 amp, Squeezebox Touch with external hd, (soon to be purchased) Dali Ikon 2 wall mounted speakers

Our garage conversion commences on 2nd May.
There is existing electrics in there will be having new wiring for new lighting etc.
What should I be looking at to isolate the power for my audio equipment from the rest of the room ? Fused spur ?

Reply from Phil -
'Yes - a spur or ring going directly back to the consumer unit, on its own breaker. Alternatively, a seperate small consumer unit going to the meter would be even better... your sparks will advise what is possible (just don't tell him you are concerned about sound quality!).

My latest query -

The garage is attached to the kitchen which feeds into the dining and then the lounge and then the entrance hall. In here is the consumer unit, so is what you proposed going to be an expensive and messy job. ?

Lighting and power sockets already exist in the garage.

Like the look of these wallplates

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2g...sert-pk5/38549

Maybe some infrared matching dimmer switches ?

Your electrician will advise on what is possible / allowed by wiring regs. Take expert advice on SAFETY.

If the garage is currently spurred from the kitchen that may not comply with current regs. If it goes back to a seperate breaker on the consumer unit it should be OK, but NORMALLY you can't have a house extension on a spur from an existing ring main... the extension should have its own ring for sockets on its own breaker.

Those wallplates look nice (I have similar ones all over my house) but if you want best sound quality use the ones I mentioned - just for the audio. Having said that,it will only make a VERY difference you may not hear at all.

By the way, normal dimmer switches can be problematic. I suggest you use low voltage (DC) lighting if possible... or the new LED bulbs (some of which can be dimmed with SPECIAL dimmers. Avoid CFL bulbs.