PDA

View Full Version : Duet or Touch

bitstopjoe
2011-04-06, 17:02
Since I sent my Boom back to Logitech, and they no longer make it, I have a choice of waiting for the Booms replacement ( could be MONTHS) or take a Touch or a Duet in its place. From what I have seen online I am leaning towards the Touch because of the USB and SD card input. Since I am Boomless I started hooking up some old audo equipment and like how it sounds. Not top of the line like I used to have 30 or so years ago, but plesant enough ( Mirage SM-2.5 speakers which I had to re-foam the woofers first).
So that is why I am thinking of not waiting for the BoomII, or whatever it is called ( son of Boom? :)

So any ideas to help me lean in the right direction? I mean since I now have some audio it makes no sense for a Boom II, right??

aubuti
2011-04-06, 18:45
Touch all the way. The sound quality is better than the Duet and it is less finicky to set up. If you're gun shy about EOL, you should know that the Duet Receiver will be the next to go, as after the Boom it will be the last SB based on the ip3k platform.

For controlling the Touch there is the touchscreen and the included IR remote. You can also add a separate Duet Controller, or better yet, an iPhone/iPad/iPod with iPeng app, or an Android phone with appropriate app.

EDIT: Although I recommend the Touch, I don't necessarily recommend using it with a USB hard drive and the built-in server (TinySBS). The success rate with TinySBS is very mixed. It might work for you, but don't assume it will. If you want to play your own music (vs internet radio, Rhapsody, Pandora, etc) count on running a local server with the Touch, just as you would with a Boom or Duet.

maggior
2011-04-06, 19:29
+1. What he said:-). As a player, the touch is rock solid and it is most current. I can't blame you that you don't want to wait for boom II. Good luck.

realcodeguy
2011-04-06, 19:50
+1 on the Touch.

Mnyb
2011-04-06, 21:22
+1. What he said:-). As a player, the touch is rock solid and it is most current. I can't blame you that you don't want to wait for boom II. Good luck.

+1 Touch , much better format support and sound ,setup is better wlan is better

w3wilkes
2011-04-06, 21:44
I guess someone has to go against the grain here. I run a Duet on a older Sony amp to some old ADS L810 speakers and the sound is excellent! Once set up I've found that the Duet is rock solid and I run it WiFi. The controller is responsive and it's great to have total control of the music without having to go to the stereo or the PC. I've been running the Duet for over 2 years and the most trouble I've had has been with the recent upgrade to Win7 SP1 along with SBS 7.5.3 which I did get ironed out (from what I read it sounds like the Duet wasn't alone with Win7 SP1 and 7.5.3 SBS). I've never had a stutter or skip, it just plays. I also just bought a 2nd Duet for the basement stereo. I'll admit that the Touch has some better specs, but the convenience of the controller with the Duet is the winner for me.

Mnyb
2011-04-06, 22:01
I guess someone has to go against the grain here. I run a Duet on a older Sony amp to some old ADS L810 speakers and the sound is excellent! Once set up I've found that the Duet is rock solid and I run it WiFi. The controller is responsive and it's great to have total control of the music without having to go to the stereo or the PC. I've been running the Duet for over 2 years and the most trouble I've had has been with the recent upgrade to Win7 SP1 along with SBS 7.5.3 which I did get ironed out (from what I read it sounds like the Duet wasn't alone with Win7 SP1 and 7.5.3 SBS). I've never had a stutter or skip, it just plays. I also just bought a 2nd Duet for the basement stereo. I'll admit that the Touch has some better specs, but the convenience of the controller with the Duet is the winner for me.

Controller works with Touch too, so you can have both ;) thats one nice thing with sbs architechture all controllers works for all players as everything goes via the server anyway .

controller= squeezebox controller, iPad iPhone android web-UI etc

player= all hardware squeexeboxes ever done + all software squeezeboxes and stream.mp3 clients

Edit: Touch runs squeezeplay so it can also be a controler for other squeezeboxes

toby10
2011-04-07, 01:52
... BoomII, or whatever it is called ( son of Boom? :) .....

That would make for great abbreviations in here. "The SOB won't connect to SBS via WiFi, should I wire the SOB?" :)

I concur with the others, go with the Touch.
This will also get you a lot more available streams without running a full SBS server because Touch can play AAC natively (Boom, SB1/2/3, Duet cannot).

bitstopjoe
2011-04-07, 02:31
Thank you for all of your input..Touch it is....
One more question... I "assume" the touch works with MYSB??
Until I get more HD space for my system ( I have 4 Fast SCSI III 10k RPM right now but only 32 gig each)I rather use MYSB instead of SB Server.

Thank you all again for your help!!

toby10
2011-04-07, 02:43
Yes, Touch uses MySB same as your Boom did.
But if running the Touch's inbuilt mini-server you don't even need to switch to MySB, Touch server will use MySB in the background just as the full SBS server does on your computer.

Soulkeeper
2011-04-07, 02:50
See also the Touch vs. Duet (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=85717) forum thread.

bitstopjoe
2011-04-07, 03:16
All good info ( great thread on the Duet vs Touch. Thanks all again, LOVE this forum :)

I will call Logitech today and have them send me a Touch.

One last question ( until I think of another that is :) ) I can use a USB Thumb drive in the USB port on the Touch, correct?

aubuti
2011-04-07, 03:33
The controller is responsive and it's great to have total control of the music without having to go to the stereo or the PC.
You don't need "to go to the stereo or the PC" to control the Touch, either. The infrared remote (included) gives you full control, although admittedly one needs really sharp eyes to read the Touch's screen beyond 10 feet / 3 meters. And as others have pointed out, the various wifi controllers work just as well with Touch as with SB Receiver.

toby10
2011-04-07, 04:57
..... I can use a USB Thumb drive in the USB port on the Touch, correct?

Yes, but there are quirks with using the USB or SD in the Touch. Most will work fine.

bitstopjoe
2011-04-07, 05:27
Thank you.. Just something to play with and try to get to work..
Trust me when I get the Touch and have any questions, I will look here first for answers..