PDA

View Full Version : newbie multi zone question

kswanson
2011-04-06, 16:41
I have a SB Touch and NAS in my 2 channel system in my office. I'm running Squeezebox server, Windows Home Server and a wireless router. I also have iTunes in Apple lossless on my desktop. My question: what's the best way to get lossless, preferably 96/24, music from my NAS which is flac or iTunes to my larger system downstairs? I'd like to use an iPad for a controller and make use of the meta data.

tcutting
2011-04-06, 17:44
Where are you running Squeezeboxserver?
With Squeezebox system, multi zone usually means adding additional squeezeboxes. Assuming your "larger system downstairs" is a good audio 2-channel system, best bet would be to add a Touch down there. You would then have 2 Touch'es, each can connect to your Squeezeboxserver either via wired ethernet (preferred for reliability reasons) or wifi. The Touch supports playback of 24/96 lossless files (FLAC for sure, not sure if Apple lossless is supported "natively" by the Touch, but if you are running your Squeezeboxserver on a reasonable PC (not your NAS), the Squeezeboxserver can support transcoding from Apple lossless to FLAC if needed).
You probably want a copy of ALL your music files available to your Squeezeboxserver - this could be on a drive local to the Squeezeboxserver PC, or I suppose could be available through your NAS.

kswanson
2011-04-06, 18:52
I'm running squeezebox server and Windows Home Server on my desktop. I converted my flac files on my NAS to Apple lossless in iTunes and set up iTunes only because I wanted to be able to load my iPod with Apple lossless to be able to use in my car audio system. My NAS is still flac. So I have SB server on my desktop and iTunes aren't really necessary from what I'm understanding in order to get my music files to my larger system. It is 5.1 but I'm using a Meridian system so I would go 2 channel via SPDIF from whatever into my processor I think. Then I could use an iPad for control? In that case the SB Touch downstairs connected via ethernet (wall adaptor) is the best way to go?

Skinny
2011-04-10, 20:44
I'm running squeezebox server and Windows Home Server on my desktop. I converted my flac files on my NAS to Apple lossless in iTunes and set up iTunes only because I wanted to be able to load my iPod with Apple lossless to be able to use in my car audio system. My NAS is still flac. So I have SB server on my desktop and iTunes aren't really necessary from what I'm understanding in order to get my music files to my larger system. It is 5.1 but I'm using a Meridian system so I would go 2 channel via SPDIF from whatever into my processor I think. Then I could use an iPad for control? In that case the SB Touch downstairs connected via ethernet (wall adaptor) is the best way to go?

That's right, you don't need iTunes for Squeezebox, as it is completely unrelated and SBS has its own database for the music library. Depending on your NAS, you may be able to run SBS on it, otherwise on the WHS. In the latter case you could use either the ALAC library (on your WHS, right?) or point to the FLACs on your NAS.

Yes, a SB Touch is perfect for your stereo system, as it supports hi-res audio. Unless you already have powerline adapters I suggest trying wirelessly, it might very well work. You can get them if/when you actually need them. 5.1 DD & DTS work great as well with Squeezebox.

-Skinny