PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite device for remotely controlling your Squeezebox?

Marley3
2011-04-06, 11:08
I wanted to take a poll and see what everyone's favorite device is for remotely controlling your squeezebox while listening. I am looking for a device I can sit on my couch with and access all my music files, album art, and playlists in a easy to use/easy to read fashion. I am also hoping to use the same device for some quick web surfing.

Thanks!

garym
2011-04-06, 11:19
I wanted to take a poll and see what everyone's favorite device is for remotely controlling your squeezebox while listening. I am looking for a device I can sit on my couch with and access all my music files, album art, and playlists in a easy to use/easy to read fashion. I am also hoping to use the same device for some quick web surfing.

Thanks!

for me:

1. IPAD running either iPENGHD or SqueezePad (I have both and like both). And the IPAD is a great web surfing device.

2. Small laptop, running SqueezePlay or just the SbS GUI for controlling other SB Players. Obviously can do lots of other things too. I mostly use this at the kitchen table rather than on the couch.

3. iPeng on my iPHONE. Useful because always in my pocket and the iPAD is not.

erland
2011-04-06, 11:25
1. Ipad running either ipenghd or squeezepad (i have both and like both). And the ipad is a great web surfing device.

+1

maggior
2011-04-06, 11:26
1) iPeng on my iPod Touch
2) The squeezebox Controller
3) SqueezePlay running on my laptop

epoch1970
2011-04-06, 11:57
Very satisfied with ipad/ipeng in the couch surfer scenario.
I still use the IR remote when it's around for simple actions (volume, power.)

esa
2011-04-06, 13:54
Archos 70 IT 8GB : to go on internet , read ebook, Remote

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_70it/index.html?country=us&lang=en

Squeeze Commander to control all Squeeze Devices : SqueezeTouch in my Bed Room + SqueezeBoom in my DeskRoom +SqueezeReceiver in my livingRoom.

JJZolx
2011-04-06, 14:37
Slightly customized (from Default) web interface running in Chrome browser on a netbook. I've been thinking about picking up a Barnes & Noble Nook Color and running SqueezeCommander.

ChristianST
2011-04-06, 14:42
Controller
Web Browser on PC and Netbook
Browser on my mobile. Yes, it s not an Iphone - it s a N900 ;-)

aubuti
2011-04-06, 14:50
Until recently my favorite was the SB Controller. But last week I got an iPod Touch and iPeng. I'm still getting the hang of the interface, but I expect iPod + iPeng will become the new favorite before the end of the month.

EDIT: and if I'm already sitting at the computer, then I usually turn to the SBS web ui, or sometimes SqueezePlay

Marley3
2011-04-06, 16:10
Looks like the Ipad/Ipod - IPeng combo is the clear winner here. I thought there might be some other great competitors at this point...

JJZolx
2011-04-06, 16:13
Looks like the Ipad/Ipod - IPeng combo is the clear winner here. I thought there might be some other great competitors at this point...

In a survey with _8_ responses? LOL!

Fahzz
2011-04-06, 18:27
With 7.6 it's now my netbook - very cool.
Nice work so far on this!

realcodeguy
2011-04-06, 18:34
I use both iPeng and SqueezePad on my iPad.
SqueezeCommander on my Android phone.
SqueezeBox Server web interface on my media center PC (because I don't know of anything else).
SqueezeBox Duet controller in Kitchen.

For me, SqueezeCommander wins hands down when it comes to synching a large number of players.

Mnyb
2011-04-06, 22:20
iPad with both apps the size and touch interface does it .
There may be andriod tablets that comes close ?

But a tabblet device rocks , i'm just so satisfied with iPeng and Squeezepad on the iPad playlist and album browsing is so smoth and easy

Ron Olsen
2011-04-06, 23:05
In preferred order:

1. SqueezePad on iPad.
2. iPengHD on iPad (to sync players or enter trackstat song ratings -- features not yet provided by SqueezePad).
3. iPeng on iPhone or iPod Touch.
4. Duet Controller.
5. SBS web interface.

bernt
2011-04-06, 23:16
1. Logitech Harmony
2. iPod Touch with iPeng
3. Squeezebox Server WebGUI on LapTop

copperstate
2011-04-07, 02:11
For playback:

1. SP
2. iPeng
3. Web ui

Soulkeeper
2011-04-07, 04:17
SBS web interface.
SB Touch touch screen.
SB Radio controlled by SB Touch IR remote.
SB Radio controlled by Radio hardware buttons.
Android phone with Squeeze Commander.
SB Controller.
SB Boom controlled by Boom hardware buttons.
SB Boom controlled by Radio IR remote.
Android phone web browser connected to SBS.

Hope it helps. :D

kc5f
2011-04-07, 09:28
SqueezeCommander on my Android phone works great. I only use the Duet Controller now when the Boom or Duet lose connection with MSB. The Controller will "wake them up", but SqueezeCommander will only find connected devices.

copperstate
2011-04-08, 01:51
For administration (like favorites, settings (esp. alarms), etc) I tend to use the web ui wherever possible as it is much more convenient than using the player interface.

Bytec
2011-04-08, 05:24
1. Android phone (HTC Desire);
2. PC and SBS Web interface;
3. SB Duet Controller.

maggior
2011-04-08, 06:07
Until recently my favorite was the SB Controller. But last week I got an iPod Touch and iPeng. I'm still getting the hang of the interface, but I expect iPod + iPeng will become the new favorite before the end of the month.

Congrats on getting a iPod Touch and iPeng. It took me a little while to get the hang of the interface because it was very different from anything I had used before.

aubuti
2011-04-08, 10:41
Thanks. I still get tripped up sometimes selecting the correct SB and remembering where to find WOL, but I think the interface is really great.

rgro
2011-04-08, 10:58
80% iPeng on iPad
20% Web UI via either laptop or desktop

Mnyb
2011-04-08, 12:20
i sometimes use iRule on my iPad as i've built my ir and rs232 remotes around that app

w3wilkes
2011-04-08, 22:23
My preference is the webUI followed by the Duet controller. From what I see in this thread the Touch should be broken into a roamable controller and the player. Oh, what a great idea for a upgrade to the next generation Duet. :-)

jonn68
2011-04-08, 22:30
1. Iphone with Ipeng
2. Sb3-Controller
3. Ipad with both apps

Jonn

)p(
2011-04-08, 22:48
Ipeng on 2 Iphone's, one ipod and one Ipad2. Mixed use of all of them.

mr-b
2011-04-09, 01:21
Moose http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove/ running on any Windows device. The speed of doing a local search is one of the main advantages for me.
Then the Controller.

I'd like to try out ipeng or Squeezecommander but I don't have those devices.

I don't know if anyone has yet written a Meridian Sooloos style interface http://www.meridian-audio.com/sooloos/the-experience.php as that looks the closest to what I want, although I'm still looking for a "bookshelf" view of albums ...

pippin
2011-04-09, 01:54
I'm still looking for a "bookshelf" view of albums ...

What do you mean by that? Something like CoverFlow?

browellm
2011-04-09, 04:06
iPad with iPeng or Squeezepad. With good quality artwork and the lyrics plugin, CDs are totally redundant

mr-b
2011-04-09, 04:46
What do you mean by that? Something like CoverFlow? No, actually I thought CoverFlow to be little practical use in browsing for albums, since I have so many albums. It's pretty though ...

By bookshelf view, I mean having a multi-column (or multi-line) view of all the spines of the albums so I can quickly scan through for the one I want i.e. just like looking at my CDs stacked on bookshelves. I know there are prolly better ways of achieving what I want e.g. typing text into Moose' search box immediately lists all matching albums, artists & tracks, which is really cool, but those old non-virtual browsing habits die hard. ;-)

For that matter I'd like "Record Shop" and "Old Pub Jukebox" views too. ;-)

ntom
2011-04-10, 05:42
Clearly a high correlation between SB users & Apple ipod touch / phone / ipad users!

Only have an ipod classic.... but recently got an Android phone & Squeeze Commander is brilliant!

1. Squeeze Commander
2. Controller
3. Touch screen

Guy48065
2011-04-10, 18:46
I have an android tablet (Archos101) and I'm interested in opinions from anyone who's tried both on an android tablet.
I've installed the Logitech app and find it very slow & choppy in scrolling through a large collection. Like to know if that's the way it is for these or should I now try the commander app.

flattermann
2011-04-10, 19:04
I have an android tablet (Archos101) and I'm interested in opinions from anyone who's tried both on an android tablet.
I've installed the Logitech app and find it very slow & choppy in scrolling through a large collection. Like to know if that's the way it is for these or should I now try the commander app.

I'm searching for another Archos 101 beta tester, so if you are interested, please drop me a line.

android ATT flattermann DOTT net

gorman
2011-04-11, 09:07
The standard remote. I know the OP was asking for something different, but while I love iPeng on both iPad and iPod Touch, I don't think they are ergonomic enough.

tedfroop
2011-04-11, 17:31
1. Harmony
2. Netbook

I haven't even thought about buying a tablet device yet. My current opinion at this point is too much $$$ for too little hardware.

davidavdavid
2011-04-12, 14:40
is the controller for the Duet, i bought a few of them
and gave a few away as gifts to friends of mine with squeezeboxes

johnas
2011-04-12, 17:36
1. Squeeze Commander on my phone.

2. iPeng on iTouch

3. Logitech Controller app for Android

3. Web interface.

4. IR remote.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

nacmacfeegle
2011-04-13, 03:09
I'll play..
Ipeng on Pod, Pad and Phone:- best for browsing lining up playlists etc.
Stock issue candy bar IR remote:- mostly kitchen use to quickly power up and get the favourites going.
Harmony one in the lounge for powering everything up together and to get going, after that it goes back on the cradle in favour of something with graphic feedback.
Moose on a netbook,very nice but now bypassed in favour of Ipeng.
I've never really liked the web gui and only ever use it for maintenance.

ajwillys
2011-04-13, 07:02
Slightly customized (from Default) web interface running in Chrome browser on a netbook. I've been thinking about picking up a Barnes & Noble Nook Color and running SqueezeCommander.

I'm trying to run the official app on a nook color and have been having some problems. I've posted a question asking for some help over here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=625117#post625115

I'm not sure if SqueezeCommander would have the same problem or not, but several of the squeezebox controller apps I tried do.

flattermann
2011-04-13, 07:17
I'm trying to run the official app on a nook color and have been having some problems. I've posted a question asking for some help over here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=625117#post625115

I'm not sure if SqueezeCommander would have the same problem or not, but several of the squeezebox controller apps I tried do.

IIRC, one of my Beta testers has a Nook Color and it seems to work for him. :-)

ajwillys
2011-04-13, 07:24
IIRC, one of my Beta testers has a Nook Color and it seems to work for him. :-)

Do you remember if it was just rooted or if he had a custom rom on it? I would gladly pay for SqueezeCommander if I was sure it would work but I was worried it would have the same problem as all the free ones.. ie, it was a nook problem.

flattermann
2011-04-13, 08:09
Do you remember if it was just rooted or if he had a custom rom on it? I would gladly pay for SqueezeCommander if I was sure it would work but I was worried it would have the same problem as all the free ones.. ie, it was a nook problem.

IIRC, it was rooted with the stock rom.

The problem is that the IMEI/MEID changes on every start, therefore he cannot use the Beta version on this device (the Beta checks the IMEI/MEID against a whitelist).

Therefore, he runs the market/release version of SqueezeCommander (0.9.5.3) on the device and it seems to work just fine:

I just bought a new Nook Color and have successfully rooted it.
Squeezecommander looks and runs great.

andyman99
2011-04-13, 12:08
1/ squeezepad - revolutionised my use of sb
2/ duet controller - occasionally used if iPad has been commandeered by another family member
Andy

whoosh
2011-04-13, 12:28
iPeng HD on iPad
SqueezeCommander on Atrix 4G
SBS web interface from Netbook/Laptop

bluegaspode
2011-04-13, 13:51
1/ squeezepad - revolutionised my use of sb
2/ duet controller - occasionally used if iPad has been commandeered by another family member
Andy
Well - this sounds familiar :)

isaacc7
2011-04-15, 13:51
I mostly use iPend HD on my iPad2, but I do use the squezenetwork.com controller when I'm on the computer. Every once in a while I use the standard remote as well, but that's becoming a less common thing for me.

turbot fiend
2011-04-19, 09:57
Playback
1. *new entry* Squeezepad on iPad
2. Squeezecommander on android
3. SB Touchscreen
4. Duet
5, ir remote

Operations, zoning etc
1. SB Touch
2. Squeezcommander

Admin
PC web gui

JayLaFunk
2011-04-19, 10:01
iPeng Apps...

zeelly
2011-09-20, 10:40
I use it on my iphone, i love my iphone and i prefer all type of things over it so i use it for my Squeezebox. it work great on it.

spile
2011-09-23, 03:21
Android Phone (HTC Desire) running Squeezedroid (free app)

Pascal Hibon
2011-09-23, 03:50
I use iPeng on my iPod Touch. iPeng is a brilliant remote. I like it that much I’m tempted to buy an iPad. Also love Apple’s iDevices – great looks and works perfect.

MatsLarsson
2011-09-23, 05:41
My HTC Desire:
SqueezeCommander as remote,
Squeezeplayer for streaming away from home.

100% good!

/Mats

Phil Leigh
2011-09-23, 05:56
iPeng on iPad is fantastic.

sandsmith
2011-09-27, 11:46
squeezepad on my iPad, so sitting in my chair, I can do everything.

Gilles2
2011-09-30, 02:29
SqueezeRemote on my Windows Phone.
Great App with full integration of all features I could think about in a very cool design in line with the Metro interface.

Ikabob
2011-09-30, 04:03
No doubt, ipeng on an iPod. Very convenient.

aubuti
2011-09-30, 05:58
I posted that in early April this year, and now six months later I'm genuinely surprised to say that I still go to the SB Controller more often than anything. In large part it's because I have 3 SBCs, so there's almost always one in a cradle near one of my audio systems (the main exception is the outdoor system). The iPod touch is great, but usually it's in another room.

Also to my surprise, I'm really liking the iPod touch as ... a personal music player and handy internet tool. But still hate using iTunes to sync it with the MP3 copy of my library....

pippin
2011-09-30, 06:20
Also to my surprise, I'm really liking the iPod touch as ... a personal music player and handy internet tool. But still hate using iTunes to sync it with the MP3 copy of my library....

So why not just play your stuff through iPeng :)

aubuti
2011-09-30, 08:05
So why not just play your stuff through iPeng :)
Unless there are some iPeng streaming capabilities that I'm unaware of, I'd still need the "local" copy on the iPod anyway on airplanes, in the car, etc. :o)

Grizzly
2011-09-30, 15:00
In order of preference here goes,

SqueezeRemote for Windows Phone 7 - Works really well and has lyrics, artist notes and I love the Metro interface.

Squeezebox Control for Windows phone 7 - Partners phone nearly as good as SqueezeRemote.

SB Controller - Still use this if in a hurry but find the display a bit small.

From time to time I also use the web interface on various PC's and even the infra red remotes. I just like the fact I'm not restricted and can use all these devices to access my music easily and quickly.

I would like to see more reports about developments for Windows 8 and the tablets.

hazymat
2011-10-02, 18:22
I am terminally frustrated. (pun intended)

I use SB Duet controller and iPeng for iPhone most of the time.

But I'm annoyed by both of these, when I need to reach for the volume very quickly and they take either 20 seconds to wake up or for me to go into the app and wait for the screen to come up.

ARGH!

If only there were something a little more responsive. IR remote is not an option for me.

Maybe I should just get SB Booms in all rooms and be done with it!

pippin
2011-10-02, 18:42
Well, this is a general issue, isn't it? Provide eternal power to any device and you can have stuff running all the time and give you immediate access.
And then, of course, don't use your iThingies for other things...

I hope to get the volume buttons fixed in the next update again and then you'll at least be able to change volume without having to power up the device if the App is still in the foreground. But that would still be required plus - if you've got rooms that are not synced - you might need to have the right player selected...

DrewSB
2011-10-02, 19:40
Old Radio Shack 15-2117 JP1 remote is the most used. Always laying around nearby, big backlit buttons, controls every device in my living room (eight so far). Can skip through long lists by pressing the keypad T9 style.

Next would be SqueezePlay if I'm on my computer.

SqueezeRemote on Windows Phone 7 if I'm in another room or want a better browser than my IR remote. The main problem is that it takes a few seconds to unlock the phone, start the app, etc. Usually easier to grab the remote.

bluegaspode
2011-10-03, 11:28
But that would still be required plus - if you've got rooms that are not synced - you might need to have the right player selected...

Be aware of changes in iOS5, might make you new trouble: https://devforums.apple.com/thread/119433?tstart=30

Cannot test it right now as it won't install on my device for some reason - but waiting for tomorrow anyway.

pippin
2011-10-03, 11:52
Interesting. I've been testing iOS5 for a while and I do see more issues yet can't debug because I still want to be able to submit App Store Apps. Symbolication doesn't work for iOS5 crash logs for me, too.

So my position is the same: probably tomorrow.

Also, most of the issues like that that I found with iOS5 in the past (there were quite a few of these, too) finally got fixed by Apple.

dennis55
2011-10-03, 21:31
My Nexus One and Michaels SqueezeCommander .........it also works after a fashion on the Asus Transformer

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Mnyb
2011-10-03, 22:04
on tablet apps I have a understanding that you may need to shuffle the app to the foreground and wait a bit, absolutely nothing beats the speed of an ir remote and for years I always had one around just for pause and mute.

I'm currently not using the volume controll in my most used squeezebox the one in my hifi.

But I do use another app as universal remote, and that app is faster to reload than any of the squeezeapps, so mute and volume is avaible to me in a reasonable time,( but not as fast as an ir remote).

However I find the controller design a bit puzzling, it has different cpu speeds and sleep levels all over, but it must load the full UI with visible pictures etc before responding to pause or volume ?

If it just polled the pause the button even in it's lowest mode it would be much better ( for when the phone rings ).
But then it have powersaved itself out of the wifi so it wants to reconect :-/ I have noticed that controller is slow and that fixed ip makes it faster as dhcp negotiation takes time even at a human scale on that device ( urgh ).

The iPad is faster and have more battery it is back on the network in a much shorter time from any sleep mode dhcp or not.

so yes I'm still devoted to iPeng and SqueezePad and after using them for a long time now I need both iPeng has more functions and some things I really like SqueezePad is sligthly faster for pause and skip when coming out of sleep I think ?

an enhancement req for both theese apps would be to have some more visible clue to when it's ready to send a command to the server, you can look out for when the playlist jolts to the rigth track but I think they are ready sligthly before that happens.
maybe grey out the pause button if it cant be used for example, it does happen that i press it and nothing happens now and then

xio
2011-10-03, 22:50
Having just added a controller for a 'hidden' installation, I use that, along with ipeng & the Logitech app, which is a bit more lightweight, but for the main part does what I need. I leave the power saving features off on the the controller, and so far I've had no wake up issues at all. Of course the battery life isn't great, but it spends the majority of time in the dock anyway so it's not been a problem so far. No great time lag vs IR.

musicom
2011-10-07, 17:32
1. Squeezebox Controller (Duet) - Instant on and quick response
2. Logitech Squeezebox iPod App - Works most like the Squeezebox
3. iPeng - Menus can jump around and multiple players show up at times or are are controlled unintentionally.
4. Squeezebox Server Web Interface on computer in computer room (A SB3 is across the room in this location and display can be hard to see at times)
5. Softsqueeze (on same computer but lately have been using SBS Web Interface)
I use the IR Remotes with SB3's in conjunction with Squeezebox Controllers (3 of them)or ipod Touch depending on where the SB units are. There are 2 music zones with 5 Sqeezebox products connected to amplifiers in the house.