PDA

View Full Version : VFD of Squeezebox V3 - frequent flash

auronthas
2011-04-03, 00:59
I noticed recently there is frequent flash (<1 sec) appears in my Squeezebox VFD, if I can see it correctly, it says 'Connecting .... ' , the player is working everything fine except this problem.

I am wondering what make the flash screen so rapidly around every minute, my worry is will this shorten the lifespan of VFD?

Thanks in advance if you can solve the above problem

Auronthas

epoch1970
2011-04-03, 02:03
I think it is related to DNS resolution within the firmware. Boom was showing a similar symptom when upgraded to fw 52.
For Boom the fix was to plug it off and on, allowing for a reboot and fresh network configuration.

I am running the latest fw, which is 132, AFAIK, while my SBS version is lagging behind. I use DHCP with IP reservation.
I experienced (and fixed) a flashing screen issue with the Boom after upgrading to fw 52.
None of my SB3 are showing this behavior under fw 132. However, since using fw 132, my SB3s tend to have transient issues fetching local music files. This is all wrong (wired lan, clean files, no issue at all) and probably caused by some reckless change in fw 132.

Maybe you want to reset the firmware or try plugging the SB3 off / on. An SBS/fw upgrade is due any time now, I expect connectivity issues were addressed in this release.

auronthas
2011-04-03, 02:32
I think it is related to DNS resolution within the firmware. Boom was showing a similar symptom when upgraded to fw 52.
For Boom the fix was to plug it off and on, allowing for a reboot and fresh network configuration.

I am running the latest fw, which is 132, AFAIK, while my SBS version is lagging behind. I use DHCP with IP reservation.
I experienced (and fixed) a flashing screen issue with the Boom after upgrading to fw 52.
None of my SB3 are showing this behavior under fw 132. However, since using fw 132, my SB3s tend to have transient issues fetching local music files. This is all wrong (wired lan, clean files, no issue at all) and probably caused by some reckless change in fw 132.

Maybe you want to reset the firmware or try plugging the SB3 off / on. An SBS/fw upgrade is due any time now, I expect connectivity issues were addressed in this release.

I am too running the latest firmware, i.e. 132 and 7.5.3 version. Initially I was thought it could be automatic DHCP for SB3 too, few weeks ago, I have IP address reservation for my iMac as well as SB3 but the problem remain unresolved.

epoch1970
2011-04-03, 02:59
What I do is add the latest firmware files to an older SBS release (7.4.2). This keeps both SBS and mySB.com happy (for now.)
Conversely, maybe firmware 131 would work well enough with SBS 7.5.3 ?

Caveat emptor

aubuti
2011-04-03, 07:52
I've been getting something similar on an SB2 and thought it was related to the connectivity bug associated with 7.5.3. I recently updated to 7.5.4, which brings firmware 133 for SB2 and SB3/Classic, and fw 53 for Boom. Unfortunately I'm still getting that brief flashing on the SB2, though I'm not getting it on the Boom. Not sure about my other SB2 (in a closet installation) or SB3 (son's room).

andyg
2011-04-03, 10:45
This is fixed in 7.5.4.

epoch1970
2011-04-03, 12:19
This is fixed in 7.5.4.

Thanks, Andy.

aubuti
2011-04-03, 12:26
This is fixed in 7.5.4.
Hmm, mine was definitely flickering last night. It wasn't as frequently as every minute, but several times over an hour. The SB2 was "off" (standby), with a blank screen as the screensaver. This was with 7.5.4 and fw 133.

auronthas
2011-04-04, 02:00
This is fixed in 7.5.4.

Thanks for clearing the doubt. I am waiting for official 7.5.4 to be released soon.

Update: I am trying to install beta 7.5.4, hope it will fix the above problem.

aubuti
2011-04-05, 08:04
Hmm, mine was definitely flickering last night. It wasn't as frequently as every minute, but several times over an hour. The SB2 was "off" (standby), with a blank screen as the screensaver. This was with 7.5.4 and fw 133.
I checked again last night, and the flash was occurring around every 50 seconds.

It occurred to me that maybe the culprit is a new switch on that branch of the network, a D-Link DGS-1008G (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DGS-1008G), which powers down the port if there is no link activity. The SB2 is set to have a blank screensaver when off, which made the flashes that much more obvious. If I set the screensaver to something requiring a more active connection, such as an RSS feed, the flashes seemed to stop. Does that all sound plausible? Either way I'll try the SB2 on a different part of the network to see if the same thing happens.

auronthas
2011-04-05, 22:49
Upgraded to 7.5.4 beta and firmware 133. No more flashing after monitoring for over 5 minutes with blank screensaver.