PDA

View Full Version : Massive problems with SB setup - close to giving up!!

daytripper
2011-04-02, 12:03
Hi there

I've had a SB setup (Touch, Radio, Boom) for 6-months now. The music sits on a USB HDD attached to the Touch; I control the whole shooting-match with Squeezepad.

Simply put, it has never worked properly. Logitch have offered nothing useful. The problems seem to be chronic and I'd love more advice before I pack the whole lot off back to Logitech..!

1) The server fails after about 2 albums, making the whole system essentially useless. After about 20 songs, I get told the server is disconnected, and the music stops. This is even when listening to the Touch, which is wired to the HDD! I bought an external power supply for the HDD (as suggested by Logitech Support), but this makes no difference. If I stop and restart the server, it works for a while again, but not for long. Internet radio has no problems however. What can I do..? (I don't want buy a 100 NAS drive..!)

2) The Boom now fails to connect over wireless at all. It either fails encryption (WPA2) or, if this works, it fails to get an IP address. It almost always fails at one of these instances. Very rarely, it connects to the USB drive but I get the message 'Missing Firmware'. If I hard-wire it to the router, it downloads new firmware (52), and works fine. Take it off the router & onto wireless, and it fails again. Strange messages ('Bad state'..?) also turn up from time to time.
It used to work, but about 6-weeks ago started showing the problems mentioned. Nothing has changed with my setup at all - it just stopped working.

I just don't know what's going on and am frustrated the point of scrapping the whole thing. The router is fine, the HDD works fine for everything other than the SB setup. Logitech support haven't offered anything which helps. If you can think of anything, please please let me know!

thanks!

marc

Atlantic
2011-04-02, 12:32
An Amazon purchaser reported a similar problem:

"Now the only negative for me. It was very temperamental with a large USB drive directly connected. It was frequently stopping mid-song or even losing the connection with the hard drive so all I could do was disconnect and reconnect to get it all running again - which was a big hassle as it then proceeded to scan the whole drive again. I think one of the problems is that it does not give the user the option of selecting which folder to scan once the drive is connected. It just automatically scans and registers every file on the whole drive, even non-music stuff (e.g. movies). This causes needless expenditure of RAM/resources, not to mention very long, slow scans. I have since transferred a smaller music collection (about 200GB) to a smaller hard-drive (400GB) with nothing on the drive but music and scans. Everything is running glitch-free for now (touch wood). "

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002N203SW/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_summary?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Notwithstanding that report, I wonder if there is a second, separate, problem, from what you describe. You mention difficulty getting WiFi connections, and IP addresses. Did you mean the Touch has this difficulty, or also other boxes have connection problems? If more than the Touch are having WiFi or IP address problems, you may also be suffering an WiFi/router sort-of-problem. If there are some network problems, would you like to say how you have set up your network, what router, what is wired, what is WiFi, etc?

regards, Atlantic

lrossouw
2011-04-02, 13:48
As you point out it seems to be a complex problem. First I'd suggest turning off everything except the touch and making sure that runs. I do not run with an attached HD so I cannot be of much help there. Make sure that this is working fine for you. Does the touch do the same with no other players connected?

Then add one player at a time diagnosing problems as they crop up. The boom seems to be most of your problem. And it seems to be a connection problem more than anything else.

I'm not sure how many players the touch can support as a server. At the moment you are running three players (2+touch itself). It may also depend on the file type you listen too.

daytripper
2011-04-02, 15:54
Thanks. I'm almost always listening to mp3 so nothing crazy...

dsdreamer
2011-04-02, 16:31
I think most of your problems stem from running the internal server on the SB Touch, which has very minimal compute resources (533 MHz ARM11 and 128MB RAM) to share between being both a client and a server. Not withstanding that the USB disk is physically connected to the touch, the system still uses a full client-server architecture within the one box to provide the music browsing, selection and playback.

You've said very clearly that you don't want to spend $160 on a NAS to get the system working, and I can understand that. I would, however, suggest an Intel Atom based low-power server as being the minimum necessary to get trouble-free enjoyment out of a squeezebox system. I used to use an ARM9 based NAS, but it was too slow for my long term needs. Trying to get the internal ARM11 core in the SB Touch to do double duty as both client and server is just asking too much, IMO.

I think your troubles with the BOOM are, however, unrelated and may be due to an actual hardware issue.

You presumably are using an Intel-based computer to write your posts, so you probably have such a machine at your disposal. As a temporary measure, I recommend installing Squeezebox Server on that to see what kind of performance and reliability you could be enjoying. If that goes well, swallow hard and build or buy a small Atom-based headless server especially for hosting your music collection. I like to use the Vortexbox distro for that, but other Linux distros or Windows Home Server may be a good solution too.

pski
2011-04-02, 17:26
Hi there

I've had a SB setup (Touch, Radio, Boom) for 6-months now. The music sits on a USB HDD attached to the Touch; I control the whole shooting-match with Squeezepad.

Simply put, it has never worked properly. Logitch have offered nothing useful. The problems seem to be chronic and I'd love more advice before I pack the whole lot off back to Logitech..!

1) The server fails after about 2 albums, making the whole system essentially useless. After about 20 songs, I get told the server is disconnected, and the music stops. This is even when listening to the Touch, which is wired to the HDD! I bought an external power supply for the HDD (as suggested by Logitech Support), but this makes no difference. If I stop and restart the server, it works for a while again, but not for long. Internet radio has no problems however. What can I do..? (I don't want buy a 100 NAS drive..!)

2) The Boom now fails to connect over wireless at all. It either fails encryption (WPA2) or, if this works, it fails to get an IP address. It almost always fails at one of these instances. Very rarely, it connects to the USB drive but I get the message 'Missing Firmware'. If I hard-wire it to the router, it downloads new firmware (52), and works fine. Take it off the router & onto wireless, and it fails again. Strange messages ('Bad state'..?) also turn up from time to time.
It used to work, but about 6-weeks ago started showing the problems mentioned. Nothing has changed with my setup at all - it just stopped working.

I just don't know what's going on and am frustrated the point of scrapping the whole thing. The router is fine, the HDD works fine for everything other than the SB setup. Logitech support haven't offered anything which helps. If you can think of anything, please please let me know!

thanks!

marc

Connect the boom with a wire to make sure the firmware can update. Of course, without a server you are at the mercy of mysqueezebox.com.

"Squeezepad?" Have you considered it may be inadequate for any task?

P

pippin
2011-04-02, 17:38
I'd try to connect the Touch to MySqueezebox.com to make it update to a newer firmware. Maybe that helps.

amcluesent
2011-04-03, 03:57
>It used to work, but about 6-weeks ago started showing the problems mentioned<

Could be the wi-fi was marginal and 6 weeks back another wi-fi router was installed by neighbours which has clobbered your setup. Try changing channel on the router.

>(I don't want buy a 100 NAS drive..!)<

HP are doing 100 cash back on their ProLiant MicroServer, so net price is about 120. You could install Vortexbox distro, plus add the drive you're using for music now.

paulster
2011-04-03, 12:30
>It used to work, but about 6-weeks ago started showing the problems mentioned<

Could be the wi-fi was marginal and 6 weeks back another wi-fi router was installed by neighbours which has clobbered your setup. Try changing channel on the router.
Very possibly. Rather than just randomly changing channel though, download and install the free inSSIDer tool on a PC with a wireless card and then you can graphically see the signal strengths and channels (including overlap) of all the wireless access points local to you.

It can help you make an informed assessment of your wireless infrastructure and whether it will actually work for you.

I know, for instance, that with over 30 wireless access points near me with string signals, using all channels, and with a load set up in high bandwidth mode that I've got no chance of reliably streaming FLAC audio, which is why I use wireless purely for web browsing (and my Controllers) and cabled ethernet for everything else.

You might find that a well thought out configuration change or two could be all that you need to stabilise everything again.

daytripper
2011-04-05, 15:54
thanks guys. Please bear in mind I know nothing about NAS drives and little about netwroking.

What should I look for in a NAS drive..? This one looks nice:
http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/19/review_peripherals_dane_elec_myditto/

ta!