PDA

View Full Version : Remote control for Squeezbox v3 Classic?

kakram
2011-04-01, 02:41
Hi,

I've lost my remote control for my Squeezebox v3 Classic. I got a 'replacement' from Logitech - it doesn't quite work though. My squeezebox is telling me to "depress and hold the BRIGHTNESS" button to initate a firmware update. Alas, the new remote that Logitec sent me ... it doesn't have a brightness button!!!!

Where can I get an original remote for my SqueezeBox V3 Classic? I can't operate my Squeezebox properly without it.

bernt
2011-04-01, 02:55
You can replace it with a Logitech Harmony remote.

kakram
2011-04-01, 02:59
You can replace it with a Logitech Harmony remote.

OK - does that have a 'Brighness' button on it? I have been sent a remote from Logitech. It does work with the Squeezebox classic - I connected to the network, I can see my playlist etc. But I can't update the firmware because there is no Brighness button!

The problem I'm haveing is that although I can see the playlist, and tracks on my PC - the tracks won't play!! I think its because the firmware needs updating.

aubuti
2011-04-01, 03:06
Hold down the left arrow button for about 5 seconds until it takes you into the setup menu. From the setup menu you should set it to automatically update firmware. After that firmware updates should just happen, and you won't need the Brightness button.

bernt
2011-04-01, 03:08
OK - does that have a 'Brighness' button on it? I have been sent a remote from Logitech. It does work with the Squeezebox classic - I connected to the network, I can see my playlist etc. But I can't update the firmware because there is no Brighness button!

The problem I'm haveing is that although I can see the playlist, and tracks on my PC - the tracks won't play!! I think its because the firmware needs updating.

Yes, you can use it to update the firmware. My SB3 remote gave up a long time ago and have been using a Harmony since then.

kakram
2011-04-04, 02:51
Hold down the left arrow button for about 5 seconds until it takes you into the setup menu. From the setup menu you should set it to automatically update firmware. After that firmware updates should just happen, and you won't need the Brightness button.

Thank you SO much for this. I did exactly what you suggested. It auto updated the firmware and now works like a DREAM - radio and wireles mp3 from PC! :-)

Saved me 100.00 on a harmony remote, but I've read so many good reviews I think I want (need?) one anyway now!! LOL.

Soulkeeper
2011-04-04, 04:20
You want a bad review of the Harmony? I can write a short one for you. ;) I hate configuring complex setups through an impenetrable veil of agonizingly sluggish wizards that hides everything that is low level from my sight. If the Harmony had some of the Squeezebox flexibility and openness, I'd love it to death. As it is, I find it pretty mediocre.

(Edit: But in all fairness, after finally contacting Logitech support and explaining that my TV doesn't need 5 IR codes going through its menues in order to change inputs, as a single code is apparently enough in Devices mode, Logitech solved my worst Harmony-related problem in a matter of hours.)