PDA

View Full Version : SqueezePlay Running on Canon Network Printer

Skinny
2011-03-31, 22:27
As a small weekend & evening project, my software engineering buddy and I have been working on getting SqueezePlay running on my Canon Pixma MP620 multifunction printer. The printer has network connectivity, a color screen (320x240, same as SB Radio), a scroll wheel and some buttons, card reader, USB port. (http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3784&review=canon+pixma+mp620) Here are some results so far: Ability to browse menus, and act as a controller for players (button mapping needs some work, but for most functions there are logical buttons already), ability to set up SBR. Planned: Playback through USB soundcard.

This is a low priority project, so don't expect fast progress. It may become ready in a year or so.

How it looks so far:

EDIT: Should probably be posted in the 3rd party hardware forum, sorry for that.

Mushroom_3
2011-04-01, 00:45
And the date is..........

pippin
2011-04-01, 00:53
Cool project ;)
Now some obvious enhancement possibilities are automatic artwork and lyrics scan or output of both on the printer.

mherger
2011-04-01, 01:09
> Now some obvious enhancement possibilities are automatic artwork and
> lyrics scan or output of both on the printer.

That would be so cool! Large artwork display anyone?

--

Michael

dave77
2011-04-01, 02:40
Can you plug speakers into the printer and use it as a player :)

Skinny
2011-04-01, 02:53
Now some obvious enhancement possibilities are automatic artwork and lyrics scan or output of both on the printer.
Great idea! Didn't even consider ;) Great for the printing supplies business, too!

Can you plug speakers into the printer and use it as a player :)

Yes, we'll be working on playback through a USB soundcard (as I originally wrote), similar to what some people are doing with their Touches ;) Another interesting aspect would be to use the printing&scanning head actuators and paper feed motors to generate sound :D

bluegaspode
2011-04-01, 03:08
With current printer prices one may get below the price tag of a Radio with this solution?

A whole new market for money savers.

And then one had a Radio AND a printer for the same price.
Just the form-factor might not appeal to anyone :D

Coooooooooool project.

testmatch
2011-04-01, 03:32
Wonderful!

Another feature I'd love to see is the "player piano" approach of scanning sheet music that is converted to an audio file and played immediately. Plus of course the reverse feature of printing sheet music from any audio file being played.

Plus a rechargeable battery pack for use outdoors or in the bathroom. :-)

bklaas
2011-04-01, 04:53
Printing and Scanning have been covered, but since this is a multifunction printer we should use all of the features. Could you add the ability to use the printer's copy function to package up some tunes and then use the FAX function to send them...oh wait, I've said too much...RIAA black vans have just rolled up outside my house...

cheers,
#!/ben

p.s. amazing project

lrossouw
2011-04-01, 10:10
If you connect it to google cloud print do you get squeezebox in the cloud?

bonze
2011-04-01, 14:20
Shame it wasn't a 3D printer and able to reproduce a small bust of a composer while playing classical tunes :)

I'm still waiting for SqueezePlay for fridges.....

mrfantasy
2011-04-02, 06:04
April fools?

lrossouw
2011-04-02, 13:52
April fools?

Maybe just maybe ;)

Skinny
2011-04-03, 11:39
April fools?
I'm curious whether anyone actually noticed my hints in the photos? Fool's Garden showing in the artist list was not a coincidence. Also, the Faith No More album (Now Playing screen) is called "King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime".

I hope I managed to put some smiles on peoples' faces. I can tell you all it's been great reading the crazy replies :D

What will be the next unexpected host platform for SqueezePlay, how about some funny pics? Anyone? :)

-Skinny

pippin
2011-04-03, 16:05
I hope I managed to put some smiles on peoples' faces. I can tell you all it's been great reading the crazy replies :D

You did :)
Thanks for that!