PDA

View Full Version : Napster - Has the service improved



StevieM
2011-03-30, 06:52
Around Xmas time I switched from Napster to Spotify because of various time-outs and failed to parse issues with Napster (via MySB and local server). I am based in the UK.

I am very pleased with the Spotify service, but wondered if other squeezebox users have found Napster improvements following assumed changes in the Napster / MySB linkage which I think from the forums has happened recently?

I'm not overly keen on switching back, but have to say the £5 per month saving is attractive, if Napster has improved - I haven't seen many issues crop up in the forum, so guess it has?

Thanks,

Steve

browellm
2011-03-31, 02:28
The reliability has improved immeasureably, but the are still API issues.

For example, it's no longer possible to "Add to Library" via the SB interface, and there seem to be problems with certain albums not showing artwork in the SB interface until they are added to the Now Playing queue.

Frustrating, but better than all the timeouts we used to get.

JonWill
2011-03-31, 06:26
Working fine for me....

Davidg1
2011-03-31, 06:46
Very happy here.

browellm
2011-03-31, 08:05
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16759#c1

mraudiofreak
2011-03-31, 08:49
I'm in the US, and I can't login (for the last month). I'm using the 7.5.3 server. All it ever says is "Failed to Parse". I cannot login on squeezenetwork.com either (although the error is more generic here).

For those of you that are actually able to use it, are you using an older version, one of the nightly builds, or is there something else going on here?

toby10
2011-03-31, 08:55
Napster working fine for me in the US on 7.5.3 and 7.5.4 and on www.MySqueezeBox.com.
When you say you cannot log in to MySB.com do you mean your player or SBS server or your computer using the MySB web UI?
Have you tried a complete network reboot including your router?

StevieM
2011-03-31, 10:23
OK Thanks for the updates - I'll re-subscribe to Napster and see how it goes!

mraudiofreak
2011-03-31, 11:49
Napster working fine for me in the US on 7.5.3 and 7.5.4 and on www.MySqueezeBox.com.
When you say you cannot log in to MySB.com do you mean your player or SBS server or your computer using the MySB web UI?
Have you tried a complete network reboot including your router?

Sorry for not being specific. When I try to log into Napster through the interface on my squeezebox (which is connected to a local server) it gives me a "Failed to Parse" message. When I try to sign in under the "My Apps" section in mysb.com, it simply gives me a more general error message ("Oops! An error has occured. We're working to fix the problem, thank you for your patience"). I'm pretty sure mysb.com is set up correctly with my squeezebox - I am able to install apps on the squeezebox through mysb.com even when I'm not on the same network. However, it does show my squeezebox under the "Player" tab in mysb.com and it says "Not Connected".

I have tried a full network reboot, as well as a complete reinstall of the squeezebox server. I've also tried installing the squeezebox server on a different computer.

I tried calling Napster and Logitech to see what the problem was, and they just told me that this was a problem with the new API and that they were working on rewriting the app. This seems to be consistent with what I read here

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/Network-connection-problems-with-Napster/m-p/589362/message-uid/589362/highlight/true#U589362

I was just surprised to see that other people were able to log in. Maybe it has to do with something about when I first tried to log in?

mherger
2011-03-31, 12:12
> I tried calling Napster and Logitech to see what the problem was, and
> they just told me that this was a problem with the new API and that
> they were working on rewriting the app. This seems to be consistent
> with what I read here
>
> http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/Network-connection-problems-with-Napster/m-p/589362/message-uid/589362/highlight/true#U589362

?!? I'm not aware of such a basic big issue. The app has been re-written months before the switch, has been re-fined at the beginning of the year. But while I'm the guy working on it, I don't know what support is talking about. Please ask them to give you the exact bug report etc.

What might be your issue is that you've been using a trial which has expired, or was not correctly converted (this might have happened a while ago - we've had another case where it was broken for months, but Napster's API didn't block it until recently). But support should be able to sort this out.

Feel free to send me your napster login details to michael št slimdevices dott com.

--

Michael

Davidg1
2011-03-31, 12:56
Michael, great to talk to the guy owning this app :)

It would be good if we could have better support for Napster playlists - adding to them, as in the bug, but also better (faster) synchronisation. I had to pretty much give up using my Napster playlists on the Squeezebox because even if i created a playlist on the PC I could never know when it would appear on my Squeezebox. Sometimes this was many many days later!!

toby10
2011-03-31, 12:57
... it does show my squeezebox under the "Player" tab in mysb.com and it says "Not Connected".....

This is correct and expected because your player is connected to SBS server on your computer, your player is not connected to MySB.com

mherger
2011-03-31, 13:08
> It would be good if we could have better support for Napster playlists
> - adding to them, as in the bug, but also better (faster)
> synchronisation. I had to pretty much give up using my Napster
> playlists on the Squeezebox because even if i created a playlist on the
> PC I could never know when it would appear on my Squeezebox. Sometimes
> this was many many days later!!

Unfortunately that's not in our hands. We basically tell the Napster server what we want, and it returns something. If what we get is not what you'd expect, then there's probably some caching going on on their end.

--

Michael

mule
2011-03-31, 15:06
Michael, great to talk to the guy owning this app :)

It would be good if we could have better support for Napster playlists - adding to them, as in the bug, but also better (faster) synchronisation. I had to pretty much give up using my Napster playlists on the Squeezebox because even if i created a playlist on the PC I could never know when it would appear on my Squeezebox. Sometimes this was many many days later!!

Same here, cancelled my subscription today, because about 4 months of waiting to fix all the bugs by Napster should be enough. Until today my library sorted by artist isn't usable, because it lists many albums i have never added to my library. And adding and deleting songs to/from my library isn't supported anymore and there is no info if this functionality will ever come back.

@Michael: Today the guy at the napster hotline told me (while cancelling my subscription) that only logitech can solve the issues by implementing the new API correctly...

mherger
2011-03-31, 22:04
> @Michael: Today the guy at the napster hotline told me (while
> cancelling my subscription) that only logitech can solve the issues by
> implementing the new API correctly...

As I said: support too often has no idea what they're talking about. It's easy to blame the other side when you're running out of better ideas.

--

Michael

mule
2011-04-01, 05:13
> @Michael: Today the guy at the napster hotline told me (while
> cancelling my subscription) that only logitech can solve the issues by
> implementing the new API correctly...

As I said: support too often has no idea what they're talking about. It's easy to blame the other side when you're running out of better ideas.

--

Michael

Yes, i know! That's why i cancelled my Napster subscription and didn't throw my squeezeboxes out of the windows ;-)
I trust you and not the Napster side, but wanted to show the official wording of Napster, so that everyone can draw his own picture of Napster...

dgovan
2011-04-14, 05:50
I have posted this before about Napster and can't believe it's just me. It is just that the selection available to Logitech users on Napster is a fraction of what is available to non-Logitech users. Take a look at Daniel Barenboim for instance - I make it 120 albums on Napster and less than a dozen on Logitech/Napster. Then compare The Rolling Stones or Bruce Springsteen.

And even then the range of artists is much less as well.

We all pay the same price.